To all the "MFP Success Stories..."

Options

Replies

• SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just looked up the fitbit really quickly on amazon.com which one is the best one to buy?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I learned that I can go all morning into early afternoon without eating, so I eat a lighter lunch and save most of my calories for evening.

That and sheer willpower, which doesn't always make it through each day. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    are you overeating in the evenings because you ate too many calories throughout the day and didn't leave you enough for your evening meal?

I eat well in the morning and make sure I eat every 3 hours but around 3pm I get so hungry it's weird and I usually want sweets and carbs...

If that's your pattern save 300 calories for something at 3

You have calories to "spend" across the week - budget them

Batch cook hearty low cal meals when you have time and then you always have something
  • SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I'm going to log my food tomorrow focusing on low calorie in the morning and around lunch.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Pre log all your food for the next day. Everything ...even log in about 200 calories for snacks. Then eat your plan. Everytime you feel hungry drink 8 ounces of water. Wait 15 min... if you are still hungry eat one 50 cal snack (piece of fruit maybe). Try having dinner a little later than usual. Then plan a 30 min workout 1-2 hours after dinner. Drink another bottle of water. If you're starting to get hungry again or feel like snacking brush your teeth. If that doesn't work.... GO TO BED. I find you can't eat while you're sleeping. :)
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There are no secrets. Ultimately it comes down to discipline. However, for me the key was recognizing the difference between not hungry and full. If I was careful about how I spent my calories, I could eat at a large deficit without being hungry. But I couldn't eat until I was full and maintain a deficit. If you're eating at night because you are hungry, you either need to get smarter at how you spend your calories or eat more and accept slower weight loss. If you're eating for some other reason, you need to deal with that reason.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day every morning and stick to it as best I can.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I didn't cut my calories too low. I've never done 1200 calories as my goal. I've usually been between 1500-1700. As long as I stayed at maintenance calories or below, I didn't worry about it or obsess over it.

I love to cook and to eat, so, I just make sure I move enough during the day to give me a lot of calories for the day.

I've lost 100 lbs and I am currently still losing on 2000 calories a day, not big loses, but, still loses. Current weight is right around 165.

Pay attention to what you are eating, see what keeps you full and what keeps you wanting more.

I found I'm much more satisfied when I eat a full fat version of something (ie milk, cheese, yogurt, butter) rather than a reduced fat or fat free version. While the initial calories are more, I eat less with full fat versions, so, overall I eat less calories this way.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I like my fitbit zip...clips into pocket or bra and easy to read
  • danaepoppie
    danaepoppie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How were you able to make MFP work for you? Each day I start off strong and every evening I sabotage myself by overeating. Please share tips on how you were able to be consistent enough to achieve your weight loss goals. Thanks so much! :)

Meal planning/prep is key. I also input all or most of my calories in each morning so I know what I should be eating.

Fail to Plan/Plan to Fail!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    are you overeating in the evenings because you ate too many calories throughout the day and didn't leave you enough for your evening meal?

I eat well in the morning and make sure I eat every 3 hours but around 3pm I get so hungry it's weird and I usually want sweets and carbs...

After decreasing baked goods and added sugar, and increasing protein and fiber (I already got plenty of fat), I no longer have the afternoon low blood sugar sweet cravings.

• Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just had to want it enough. I have tried this several times with no success. This time it caught on. I am more stubborn than this fat on my body.

Also, I got an Apple Watch, which I love to death.

Hmmm What does the Apple Watch do?

Among other things, it tracks calorie burn, workouts, steps, and general movement throughout the day.

Does all kinds of other cool stuff too, but not pertaining to weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Benevolay wrote: »
    There is no magic bullet. I have lost 151 lbs. since June of last year. I gave up most of my favorite foods and cut out snacks entirely. I know not everybody has the willpower to do that. I had all the willpower I needed because I promised my dying father that I would succeed in getting healthy.

Congratulations on your weight loss!
    I would perhaps recommend not eating every three hours. Tiny things do not sate one's appetite and can actually make you crave more food. Eat three times a day, but make your lunch something that fills your stomach.
    Meal timing and/or frequency is preference only and has nothing to do with weight loss. I lost 44 pounds eating 5-6 smaller meals a day, and maintain doing the same thing. :)
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I pre-logged, pre-packed (set out breakfast, packed lunch and portioned out dinner), and kept myself busy. When I'm sitting around watching Tv at night I get bored and want to snack.
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    are you at home around 3 where the food is? Can you leave the house at that time? Go for a walk?

If you're a mom and your kids are home then grabbing food, etc. I understand. Honestly, it is HABIT. I have been there done that. Can you munch on carrots? mint tea? just RETRAIN yourself at that hour. The switch will flip after time. I promise.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Bottom line: You just have to be determined. You have to decide you are going to do this. Otherwise, it will never happen.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would strongly suggest pre-logging your food. This helps not going over because we tend to log after the damage is done. If you pre-log you can also decide if you really want it, this really helps me leave certain foods alone. Also saving up the calories is a good start, though hopefully in time you can learn to manage better. I only say this because as a night eater myself I know how fast those calories add up and it's rarely because we are hungry. Mine is habit, unless I just rush through my evening routine and go to bed I will start looking for things to munch on - chewing and crunching usually help me de-stress from my day, but then so does sleep! Usually I really regret whatever I have given into in the morning. :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I committed to being healthier. That meant losing weight and eating healthy food, so that's what I did.

I wanted to be healthy more than I wanted to be fat.

There was no option for overeating. No "Should I or shouldn't i?" when it came to donuts.

I made my decision and went forward with it. No debates, no wishy-washy stuff. I went at it like I meant to DO it.
  • melbmeg
    melbmeg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe everyone has to find their own approach, through trial and error. I could never do what a lot of people on here do: pre-logging (how do I know what I will feel like eating in advance?); eating lots of small meals (no thanks, I want to feel full after a meal); giving up alcohol (boring); exercising every day (never going to happen - I hate it).

For me, what works is:
    - drinking coffee to kill my appetite in the morning so I can have a later breakfast
    - Accepting a slower rate of weight loss so I can maintain a smaller deficit
    - Having diet breaks ever few months where I eat whatever I want for a week or so
    - accepting that I will go to sleep most nights feeling pretty peckish (I can handle night hunger be a use I'm just watching TV but I hate afternoon hunger because I'm trying to get stuff done and I need energy at that time of day)
    - guesstimating a lot of meals because there's no way I'm going to count the calories in a complex recipe and weigh out portions.

My approach would be disastrous for a lot of people but it's perfect for me. I've kept it up for a year and lost about 35lbs, and it's been really easy. I could keep doing this forever without feeling like I'm "on a diet".

So, experiment and see what works for you. But you must realise that until you really really want this and are prepared to make permanent changes to the way you eat, it's never going to happen.