To all the "MFP Success Stories..."

Options
How were you able to make MFP work for you? Each day I start off strong and every evening I sabotage myself by overeating. Please share tips on how you were able to be consistent enough to achieve your weight loss goals. Thanks so much! :)

Replies

• coachteamg
    coachteamg Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly I had to do a program that taught me how to eat healthy. I lost 100+lbs & maintained almost a year. Look I know some think they can go it alone but support is key
  • SylviaCherie
    SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What program did
    coachteamg wrote: »
    Honestly I had to do a program that taught me how to eat healthy. I lost 100+lbs & maintained almost a year. Look I know some think they can go it alone but support is key

Wow that's awesome! Congratulations:) What program did you use other than MFP? I tried WW so many times that I feel it's ultimately up to me to make the program work...I just got tired of spending money and failing...
  • Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I just had to want it enough. I have tried this several times with no success. This time it caught on. I am more stubborn than this fat on my body.

Also, I got an Apple Watch, which I love to death.
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    I just had to want it enough. I have tried this several times with no success. This time it caught on. I am more stubborn than this fat on my body.

Also, I got an Apple Watch, which I love to death.

Hmmm What does the Apple Watch do?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    How were you able to make MFP work for you? Each day I start off strong and every evening I sabotage myself by overeating. Please share tips on how you were able to be consistent enough to achieve your weight loss goals. Thanks so much! :)

I plan ahead by logging either the day before or the next morning, and I log all my food per serving in mostly grams. I rarely use generic entries. Then, I can adjust as I weigh that meal.

I log exercise too, but I use the numbers from my heart rate monitor rather than gym machines and internet sources and apps. I especially never use MFP's calorie burn numbers because they are way overstated.

Just make sure you stay within your calorie goals and you will lose weight.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    First, make sure that your calorie goal is appropriate for your CW and GW.

Second, make sure that you're eating a diet that allows you to maximize satiety for the number of calories you're allotted.

Third, make sure that your eating pattern throughout the day works for you. Are you overeating in the evenings because you haven't eaten enough throughout the day and you're starving in the evenings, or are you overeating in the evenings because you ate too many calories throughout the day and didn't leave you enough for your evening meal?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Re: sabotaging yourself at night - you know you can save calories for the evening. Have a lighter-eating day, and spend the rest (or most) of your calories at night. It works!
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I lost weight and am happily in maintenance.

I did nothing more than logging, accurately measuring my food and making sure I ate at a deficit. I got sick of feeling like I had to pay some person or program for the keys to weight loss success when I had what works right in front of me all the time.

I pre-logged my food either the night before or each morning and then I made a commitment to myself to eat what I logged. I moved with purpose and ate back half my exercise calories. I took each day and made a decision if I was moving closer or farther away from my goals.

CICO is all you really truly need. You need to eat at a deficit and then do it again tomorrow....then the day after that.

I guess sometimes it is that easy...so easy to over analyze. What do you have your settings on for goal? I have mine at sedentary so I can eat back exercise calories and set to lose one pound a week.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I sort of pre-plan and pre-log my meals. Nothing set in stone, but basic ideas of what I want to eat. I know that I prefer to eat more at night/evenings, so I have smaller meals for breakfast and lunch.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I just don't over eat, or if I do it's only by a small amount.

I guess will power or self control.

Maybe I am Wierd. Some days I feel like I'm eating just for the sake of eating, not because I'm hungry but because I don't want to be under my goal by 100-200 calories.

Maybe if you can't keep at it your going to hard, what's your weekly weight loss goal?

Maybe find some low calorie high volume food you enjoy.

Also probably Kick boxing helps, each week I can do more push ups or better push ups or not get exhausted from sparing as quickly etc

Got to find your own motivation.
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    are you overeating in the evenings because you ate too many calories throughout the day and didn't leave you enough for your evening meal?

I eat well in the morning and make sure I eat every 3 hours but around 3pm I get so hungry it's weird and I usually want sweets and carbs...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    coachteamg wrote: »

Congrats on your weight loss!

What kind of support are you referring to? I ask because that is open to interpretation. Whether or not you have support of others or a group, or even a coach, the bottom line is you have to commit to losing weight and learning how to eat at a calorie deficit, and then at maintenance calories when you reach your goal.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you're overeating in the evening, it sounds as though you might not be eating enough during the day. Have you set your goal to losing two pounds per week? If so, change to one pound per week, which will give you more calories. Then experiment with the timing of your meals; maybe wait a little longer before you have breakfast, have a smaller breakfast and a bigger lunch, or small breakfast and lunch and a bigger dinner. It doesn't matter what time you eat, as long as your total calories in are less than your total calories out. Find the eating schedule that keeps you comfortable during the day and not ravenous by day's end. Also, if I get hungry late in the evening and I've eaten all my calories, I just brush my teeth and go to bed instead of eating more.
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Re: sabotaging yourself at night - you know you can save calories for the evening. Have a lighter-eating day, and spend the rest (or most) of your calories at night. It works!

Definitely have to go lighter in the am.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I also think pre-logging is an enormous help, both meals and exercise. It indicates a commitment on our part.

My other suggestion is that you really need to eat enough to prevent binges at night, or anytime really, by setting realistic weight loss goals. There's no rush....and it's much better to feel somewhat satisfied at the end of the day rather than be starving and looking for something to stuff your face with! You'll still lose weight, it just may be a little more slowly than you wanted.

If you're hungry at night, lower your weight loss goals, or exercise more, so you're eating enough!!!
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    I lost weight and am happily in maintenance.

I did nothing more than logging, accurately measuring my food and making sure I ate at a deficit. I got sick of feeling like I had to pay some person or program for the keys to weight loss success when I had what works right in front of me all the time.

I pre-logged my food either the night before or each morning and then I made a commitment to myself to eat what I logged. I moved with purpose and ate back half my exercise calories. I took each day and made a decision if I was moving closer or farther away from my goals.

CICO is all you really truly need. You need to eat at a deficit and then do it again tomorrow....then the day after that.

I guess sometimes it is that easy...so easy to over analyze. What do you have your settings on for goal? I have mine at sedentary so I can eat back exercise calories and set to lose one pound a week.

Mine isn't sedentary. Mine is either lightly active or active, but I am pretty active both in work and in exercise.

I also have a FitBit, so I don't really worry about that. The FitBit figures out what your maintenance calories are and then overrides whatever MFP puts in there.

I think having a goal per week of losing one pound sounds very realistic and healthy. I find in life and around here that many people want too much, too soon. "Slow and steady win the race" is my motto.

I clearly need a fitbit so I can know exactly what kind of deficit I need.
  • Benevolay
    Benevolay Posts: 18 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    There is no magic bullet. I have lost 151 lbs. since June of last year. I gave up most of my favorite foods and cut out snacks entirely. I know not everybody has the willpower to do that. I had all the willpower I needed because I promised my dying father that I would succeed in getting healthy.

I would perhaps recommend not eating every three hours. Tiny things do not sate one's appetite and can actually make you crave more food. Eat three times a day, but make your lunch something that fills your stomach.
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a "success story:, but I have achieved success this past month. I think the biggest thing is just wanting to lose the weight more than anything else. I've joined WW about 10 times & had great success at times, but I've never stuck to anything for very long.

I've watched the numbers on the scale go up & the years pass by. I constantly make excuses for myself & was constantly lying to myself. "Oh I'll start dieting again for the New year", " I'll have this weight lost by the time I turn 25, 28, 32, 35, etc...", " I'm going to fit into those jeans, that shirt, etc.. " I seriously got so tired of disappointing myself over & over.

Sad when I tried on new clothes, never feeling good enough in social situations, never enough energy to really do what I wanted... I could go on & on.

Being overweight has held me back so much, it's prevented me from reaching my full potential. I used to always here the quote, "if you want it bad enough then you'll find a way". Well I thought that was crazy! Of course I wanted it bad enough, I wanted it more than anything... or did I?

You have to believe in yourself, you have to truly want to lose the weight more than anything else. You have to make yourself the priority! Trust the process because it does work if you allow it to.