How much did you lose before you went down a pants size?

Options
nekosimba
nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
My beginning weight on my journey was 275lbs. Since then I've lost 40 pounds and have only gone down 1 pants size. I was a tight 20, and now I'm a loose 18.

I'm very bottom heavy which frustrates me. I have large hips and thighs and a small waist...so I tend to have to go a size bigger just to button up.

Just feeling a little discouraged and wanting to know if anyone else has gone through this too.

Replies

• GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi There, it took me 33lb's to go down a size in jeans, and I am currently down 37.84lb's down and am thinking of re-looking at the next size down in work pants.. I have large thighs, so pants that fit my waist are generally very tight around my thighs.. sigh
  • anxietygirl
    anxietygirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm just shy of losing twenty pounds and I've gone from a solid 18 to a tight 16/18. I think I'm going to have to lose thirty or so before I'm even down a full size! It's crazy, but it has to do with how my body is shaped normally, under all this pudge. Even if I lose my sixty pound goal and get down to 150, I'm still likely to be a size 14!
  • amandamontreuil
    Options
    I've lost 15 and haven't even gone down a pants size yet, and still in the same size :(
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Not a single pound. Still at the same weight from4 months ago, but one pant size smaller.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am 26lbs down and was a very tight 16, and now a loose 16. I still can't fit into a size 14 yet. I'm hoping by 35lbs I can go down a size. :)
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I think it was 20 or so but now I'm down almost 50 lbs and 3 sizes.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    In college I went from 160lbs to 140lbs and lost 2 jeans sizes. I gained it back and have lost 5lbs and my pants are loose again.

It really depends on the where your body naturally stores fat. My pants size went down because my butt went flat, but my hips and belly didn't change.
  • blibby33
    blibby33 Posts: 53
    Options
    I lost 45 pounds before I went down a size. I am having trouble losing weight in my waist, I am losing in every place but my waist. It totally stinks. Good luck on your journey and do not give up.
  • Rhiannawright
    Rhiannawright Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I learned this in my retail days. 30 pound = 1 size, on average. I have lost 50 pounds though and have only lost size myself.
  • edcardenas1227
    Options
    I've lost over 30 pounds and have lost one pant size. It might be time to change things up. Are you working out? Cardio? Diet is the most important but excercise will sure help speed things along!!
  • loosesealbluth
    loosesealbluth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I tend to go down a size every 25-35 pounds. It depends on a lot of variables, though – particularly what brand I'm wearing. I fit into a size 18 pair of jeans at Forever 21 months ago, and they're already fitting looser, yet I just tried an 18 at H&M that was quite snug.
  • kellypowers722
    Options
    i lost 40 pounds a few years ago and only went from an 18/20 to a 15/16- everyone loses weight differently--i gained back twenty pounds since then so now im back at it--good luck--dont get discouraged -as long as you are working at it you arent gaining weight and thats always something you can be proud of even if the scale or the clothing rack isnt showing you any love
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember the exact story, but here's the gist of paper towel analogy:

Al is a roll of paper towels. The center/core is Thin Al. Each paper towel sheet is a pound of fat on Al. The outer layer(s) barely go around the roll once so, if you take one sheet off of Al, you don't see much change. As you take more and more sheets off, each sheet wraps around a bit more and, the closer you get to the center, to Thin Al, the more noticeable each sheet you remove is.

Anyway, at your heaviest, it's going to take a while before the loss shows. As you get smaller, it will take less to go down a size.

When I started, it took me 30+ pounds to go down a size. At my smallest, I went down three sizes in less than 20 pounds. Body composition also makes a big difference. If you work on shedding fat, not just "losing weight," your measurements will go down more.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have lost 38 lbs and lost 2 sizes (of expensive pants) and 1 size (in cheaper brand). Cheaper pants run much smaller apparently. It is an great feeling!!
    :smile:
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    That's almost exactly what happened to me -- I started at a size 20 and I had to lose about 30 pounds to get into a size 18. Now I'm a size 14.
  • ashleymm625
    Options
    i'm finding it is taking A LOT to lose sizes. but you can't stop just because its taking longer than expected. keep pushing forward!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost exactly the same as you...slightly more at 239...have lost over 30 lb and still wearing mostly size 20. I'm disappointed that with the exception of dress pants, most 18's don't fit me correctly. As a result I have tons and tons of size 20's that are baggy and often falling down, and when I try on 18 (especially jeans) they're usually way too short-rise and just look awful. Maybe in another 15-20 lb that will change...I hope so!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    When i read someone posting up “How long will it take before I (lose 50 pounds/get abs/fit into these pants)?”, i think that they are only interested in the results and aren’t really interested in putting in the time and effort to get there.

keep working hard, and the results will come.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It took about 30 pounds before I went down from an 18 (pushing 20) to a 16. But we all lose weight differently. I should be a 12 now but my waist, which it looks like will be the last to go, is keeping me in a 14. But I'll take it. So hang in there....it will happen :)
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    After losng 12lbs I went from a 10/12 to a comfortable US 10. I lost another 2lbs and just fit into a UK size 10 dress suit. Loosing another 3-4 lbs would make that fit more comfortable.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!