How much did you lose before you went down a pants size?

Options

Replies

• fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    For me, only takes 10 pounds. I lost 40 and went down from a 12 to a 5
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I carry my weight in my midsection. I had to lose over 10 lbs last time before I went down a pant size. My pants were baggy around my bum and thighs, but the waist was still tight. It wasn't attractive at all. I couldn't find the right pair of pants to flatter my frame until I lost well over 10 lbs.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember the exact story, but here's the gist of paper towel analogy:

Al is a roll of paper towels. The center/core is Thin Al. Each paper towel sheet is a pound of fat on Al. The outer layer(s) barely go around the roll once so, if you take one sheet off of Al, you don't see much change. As you take more and more sheets off, each sheet wraps around a bit more and, the closer you get to the center, to Thin Al, the more noticeable each sheet you remove is.

Anyway, at your heaviest, it's going to take a while before the loss shows. As you get smaller, it will take less to go down a size.

When I started, it took me 30+ pounds to go down a size. At my smallest, I went down three sizes in less than 20 pounds. Body composition also makes a big difference. If you work on shedding fat, not just "losing weight," your measurements will go down more.

genius.
  • djkprojects
    djkprojects Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I lost around 10 pounds and went down from 34ish to 30ish around waist.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    For me it was about 15-20 lbs, but everyone is different.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    down just over 20lbs, down two pants sizes!
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have lost 28lbs and gone from a tight uk12 to a loose uk12 in Jeans.
    But in dresses and tops etc I'm between a UK 8 and 10. from being a 12. :|
  • Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've lost 33lbs and I'm still wearing the SAME SIZE! Everything is just really big and my tighter fitting clothes fit nicer now :wink:
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Plus sized clothes are cut bigger, so it might take until you get into regular or close to regular sizes to drop sizes quickly.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Here is how my sizes worked with my weight:

I am 5'8

At 185- I was a size 12

At 168 or so I was a size 10

Now at 158 I am a size 8

I am hoping to get back down to 140-145 and wear my size 4 clothes.

This is the same with me...I am 5'7

At 195 - Size 16
    At 185 - Size 14
    At 178 - Size 10

Keeping in mind I do have a large frame (meaning large bones)

But of course weight vs size can be confusing. Think about it this way if you are just dieting and loosing weight your cloths will fit differently then if you are exercising and building muscle along with dieting and loosing fat. I am exercising to build muscle so I will take up less space at a higher weight...(1 b of muscle takes up less space then 1 lb of fat)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    15lbs & pretty much fit into the next size down on the majority of things. I don't just do cardio though, I do a lot of squats, lunges, etc.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    My beginning weight on my journey was 275lbs. Since then I've lost 40 pounds and have only gone down 1 pants size. I was a tight 20, and now I'm a loose 18.

I'm very bottom heavy which frustrates me. I have large hips and thighs and a small waist...so I tend to have to go a size bigger just to button up.

Just feeling a little discouraged and wanting to know if anyone else has gone through this too.
    Yes, very discouraging, I lost 30 lbs, went from 213-183 and stayed in the same size 18, I did however force myself into a pair of 15/16's they weren't too bad, but I still had a muffin top.

Hugs!
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I wish I could remember the exact story, but here's the gist of paper towel analogy:

Al is a roll of paper towels. The center/core is Thin Al. Each paper towel sheet is a pound of fat on Al. The outer layer(s) barely go around the roll once so, if you take one sheet off of Al, you don't see much change. As you take more and more sheets off, each sheet wraps around a bit more and, the closer you get to the center, to Thin Al, the more noticeable each sheet you remove is.

Anyway, at your heaviest, it's going to take a while before the loss shows. As you get smaller, it will take less to go down a size.

When I started, it took me 30+ pounds to go down a size. At my smallest, I went down three sizes in less than 20 pounds. Body composition also makes a big difference. If you work on shedding fat, not just "losing weight," your measurements will go down more.

genius.

Yes, because if it was always 30 lbs before you dropped a size you'd weigh zero to be in a size 2 or some such craziness.
    I have lost about 17 lbs and am still in the same size so I guess I have about 13 more to go to get into a size 14.
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Starting weight was 175 lbs and it took almost a 20 lb loss to move from a loose 14/tight 12 to a size 10. Since then I have only lost another 15 lbs but slid right through size 10, size 8 and now the new size 6s I recently purchased are loose in the waist. In addition to the weight loss though, I have been concentrating on toning the abs and so have lost a total of 7 inches from my waist, going from 36.5 inches to 29.5 inches and have lost 5 inches from the hips.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It's about 15 lbs for me.

It's 4 lbs for my 5'0, 110 lb mother. :grumble:
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The larger a person is, the more pounds it requires to move between sizes; the closer you get to goal, the less weight lost between sizes. I started at 275 and I'm now 254. I've gone down almost a size (pants were tight, now fit and/or are really loose). I know from the past, that I will need to lose about 30-40 lbs to be a size or two smaller (based on the pants.).

Also, it's all about how you lose weight. When I lost weight years ago, just doing cardio and cutting calories way back, I had to lose a lot more lbs to get into a smaller size. I was losing both fat, water and muscle. Last year when I lost a bunch of weight, I had to lose fewer pounds to see my size go down, because I was combining cardio and weight training.

Muscle, lb for lb, takes up less space than fat. Focus more on your size and how clothes fit than the scale.

It's better to be fit, than a "skinny fat" person.
  • annakdavis
    annakdavis Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I found that there is a really big difference between going from an 18 to 16- it is like going 18W to 18 to 16W to 16. Took me a long time to get from an 18 to 16, and then found it is about 15 pounds per size. I have gone from a size 22 US to size 12- which are baggie.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 and only went down 2 sizes. I started at a tight 22 and am now in an 18.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    At 183 I was a size 12 ---- at 202 I was a size 12.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I went down a size roughly every 15lbs. I started at a UK 20 (US 16) and am now a loose UK 12 (US8). Am aiming for a UK10 (US6).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!