How much did you lose before you went down a pants size?

Options

Replies

• kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I go down a size every 5-8 pounds.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Back when I was obese and losing, it was roughly 20-25 lbs per pants size. Once I got to the point where I was within a somewhat healthy weight range though, that started to get tricky and wasn't consistent like that anymore.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I started out a size 12 and more or less skipped 10 (just wore baggy 12's) and got to a size 8 after about 25 lbs lost.
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I started out in a tight 26...like so tight it was screaming for mercy and probably should have been a 28. Now I'm in an 18/20, depending on the cut of the hip. It seemed like I was flying down sizes there for a while, but I have to say, this range between 20 and about 14/16 seems to be taking a lot longer. I'm still losing just as many pounds, it just seems like more have to come off to go down a size. I don't know if that's really true, it's just how I'm perceiving it.
  • TracyJo93
    TracyJo93 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, sort of. I have a tiny waist and tiny thighs but very wide hips. I lost about 10 lbs before I went down a size, but I was only a size 4 to begin with.. so idk if that helps or not. Keep your head up! You've had a great loss so far, even if you haven't gone down a pants size!
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 60lbs and gone from a 18 to a 8/10 (UK size). took a while to get down from 18 to a 16 but then i felt like i was constantly having to buy new clothes after that.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    i've lost 24 lbs & still haven't gone down a size. almost to an 8 but not yet. i think it depends on how you're built too.
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I am a loose size 18 and I weigh 223. I am so anxious to be below 200 AND in single digit sizes.... Just relish the fact that you have lost 40 pounds. Great accomplishment!!!
  • AiabliamsMommy
    AiabliamsMommy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I lost 35lbs 2 years ago and only went down 1 pants size:/
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I just went down a size in pants. I still feel uncomfortable in them though. I guess the baggy ones just make me feel better? IDK, it's weird. Don't worry about it though, at least try not to! You are doing a great job, keep it up!
  • nika_bolinhos
    Options
    I made a start at getting healthier when I was 85kg (188 pounds), I was about a size 18 at the time, or a very tight 16, after loosing 13kg (30 pounds) I am down to a size 12 and occasionally fit into a 10, that is UK sizes. Uhuu
    Also, I started MFP after losing 5 kg, in case you are wondering about my tracker
  • outdoorslife
    outdoorslife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    20 lbs for one pants size. It also depends how you are shaped... I will never get in standard size 36 mens pants. my quads are to big, and the cuts are wrong, but I might be able to have a 36" waist if I work hard at looking weight and getting fit.

Women have it much harder. The pants sizes seem arbitrary. Ignore them. Use MFP to set up not only weight but body fat and body measurements (ie. hips, waist, chest) so you can see real measurable changes. DON'T worry about what are your pants size or shirt/blouse size.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    A while ago ... I dropped 4 inches from my waist with a 30-lb weight loss.
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Same for me - well I lost about 2kgs (5llbs) and went down a dress size. But I was exercising as well as dieting so put it down to toning up the muscle...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 30 pounds and 4 or 5 pants sizes. The last size down was with only 2-3 pounds lost, so body recomp. has something to do with it. I also went from a tight M/ loose L shirt to a S or XS.
  • elizabethduncanheydary15
    Options
    I've lost 13 pounds and haven't gone down in a jeans size, but I have gone down a size in dress pants. It just depends on your body shape and the pants themselves. It's frustrating, but even more so when you're in between sizes and neither size looks good when you try to go shopping for new clothes/want to get old clothes altered.
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Paper towel roll is a very good comparison, thanks
  • rachie590
    rachie590 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think the point here, is most of us have lost more pant sizes then we know, because at our heaviest we all probably should have been in pants 1 to 2 sizes bigger. As some of you have pointed out, at your heaviest you probably stretched your biggest pants to a bigger size. So if it's important to you that you lose a lot of pants sizes, you should surely count the size you should have been wearing as a size down. tight 14's probably should have been 16's or 18's and so on.

When your clothes that you have start fitting better it feels good! What feels even better is when you grab your old pants size at a store and you find out that you are swimming in it!

Good Luck to all!
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've lost 45lbs and went from a 16-18 (depending on brand) to a 10. 215lbs to 170
    My weight was stuck for a couple months and that when my size went down fast. I went from the 14 to the 10 without losing any real weight. Kick up your workouts and you'll see the inches fly. The scale may not...but don't get discouraged!! :)
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    it varies depending on brands. ive lost 15 lbs and can still wear my 13/14's though they are a little loose but can also wear a pair of my 11/12's comfortably.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!