Safety while running

Options
13»

Replies

• zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I life in a safe neighbourhood and I run on the side streets. I'm more concerned with being hit by a car than I am being hassled by random people. But, I'm 5'8", with a solid build and have an aggressive, dominant personality. No matter what I'm doing, I walk, run, whatever strong - with my head up and shoulders back so I look confident and assured.

My only real precaution would be running at dusk/night. I wear reflective clothing and take my DH with me. Although he jokes that I'd be more likely to defend him than he defend me. :D
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Just a little tidbit for those who were saying they "don't live in fear" by taking precautions.....

This is a blog post from TODAY by another MFPer. She was attacked by 2 men last night, while leaving a "safe", professional- clientel, bar in her own neighborhood. She was just a minute from her house and she makes this walk frequently and has always considered it a "safe" area of town.

Luckily she only has a few bruises and the police have found the assailants....but they got away with her phone and money (so they had all of her info, home address, etc) initially. This could have gone very, very bad for this young woman....

Edit for link...doh
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Nerysrobertson12/view/young-females-545502
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't run the same route every day or with any predictability. That's pretty much it.

Sometimes I run some secluded wooded trails where I've very rarely seen another soul. What are the chances that some homicidal maniac is going to hide behind a tree, waiting with chloroform, on the off-chance that some 'helpless' little woman might go jogging by?!

There's a much greater risk of some weirdo following me home from the grocery store and waiting outside my garage. And I still buy groceries.
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I run in the neighborhood park. It's really safe and loads of people are there, including sometimes (if I am lucky) some firemen from the station down the road. Hey, a little eye candy never hurts. Maybe one of these days I will catch one of them too, damned if they don't run fast.

THIS! Those darn firemen sure can MOVE!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I usually carry some pepper spray when I'm taking a nice leisurely stroll through the neighbourhood. I don't fear other people attacking me, but every once in a while a hostile dog might approach me. Since I'm not training for anything in particular, I'm running the park right now. But when I do run in the neighbourhood, I don't wear headphones.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I just run. I bring my phone most of the time. I have my permit to carry but certianly don't run with my gun. I'm already running and My husband knows how long it takes me to go my routes. I tell him before I leave and if too much time passes where i should have been back. I'm either hurt or abducted. Thats his cue to drive my route. nothings happend yet. not saying it never will but part of running for me is nature/ adventure. take that away and i dont think i'd enjoy it as much.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If you're out at 5 am chances are that the people you're worried about are sleeping off their hangover. I worry about skunks and cars that don't see me. When I meet people I take it that they're nice and friendly unless they prove otherwise.
  • KissMeImShtFaced
    Options
    As silly as it sounds, why not go to a richer/nicer neighborhood to run? My neighborhood isn't "bad" so I don't do it out of safety but more for aesthetics. It does seem very safe though. I usually see tons of men and women out running at the same time. A side benefit is the sidewalks are usually better too. The richies no how to complain to city council I guess.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    If you're out at 5 am chances are that the people you're worried about are sleeping off their hangover. I worry about skunks and cars that don't see me. When I meet people I take it that they're nice and friendly unless they prove otherwise.

Indeed. Basic stuff for me too-run where I can be seen by as many people as possible, don't run in the dark, make friends with the people and the dogs on your route, tell someone where you're going to be and for how long you'll be gone, don't blast music, etc. I'm more worried about wildlife, bad drivers and getting injured than anything else.

And I have spent time as a captive in someone's basement. I refuse to live my life under the assumption that it is going to happen again.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I coach for one of the running stores in my city. The subject of Safety while Running comes up frequently in my clinics. I have compiled some of the advice I received over the years from sources including police, martial arts instructors and even a rape clinic counselor in my city. Here are some of those tips;

1. Always be aware of your surroundings. This includes making use of your hearing and eyesight. Headphones can limit your senses.
    2. Always let others know your route and when you will be back.
    3. Always carry a cell phone and a police whistle. Someone who is willing to do you harm does not want you making noise.
    4. Always use the Buddy system... Criminals usually try to pick off the low hanging fruit. A single runner falls into that category. Most criminals will not bother with people running in groups.
    5. Always Run during daylight hours or on well lit courses that are familiar to you. Why give opportunity?
    6. Carry throw away money. If someone accosts you, in most cases it is because they are wanting money. Carry a handful of change you can fling in their face. It can disorient your attacker while you make your escape.
    7. Unless you have training, remember that weapons work both ways. A determined assailant is often more than a match for someone unprepared to use a weapon. In many cases the person holding the weapon is the person who is injured.
    8. Always follow your instincts... we have that sixth sense for a reason. If something feels wrong, it usually is. Seek help or move to a more populated area.
    9. Always bring bus/cab fare. Hailing a taxi may cut short your run, but could save your life.
    10. Eye contact is a sign of confidence and awareness. By establishing eye contact, you let the criminal know you are aware of their presence. Criminals are less likely to attack someone exhibiting confidence.
    11. There are no rules to defending yourself. If someone attacks you, you have every right to gouge, kick, poke, slap or hit someone any place you can. Focus on pressure points that will disorient your attacker (groin, throat, eyes, ears, nose, armpits). Never maintain the fight longer than is required for you to flee. Yelling and screaming may attract help.
    12. If you are overpowered, and an attacker is trying to rape you... urinating and defecating have helped some women stop the attack.

Hope these help!
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to feel unsafe when I'm out running. I run busy walking/running trails and violent attacks against runners are pretty much unheard of here.

Plus I survived rough parts of North India and can punch out 6' 225lb rugby players, which helps my confidence.
  • kylamaries
    kylamaries Posts: 291
    Options
    I coach for one of the running stores in my city. The subject of Safety while Running comes up frequently in my clinics. I have compiled some of the advice I received over the years from sources including police, martial arts instructors and even a rape clinic counselor in my city. Here are some of those tips;

1. Always be aware of your surroundings. This includes making use of your hearing and eyesight. Headphones can limit your senses.
    2. Always let others know your route and when you will be back.
    3. Always carry a cell phone and a police whistle. Someone who is willing to do you harm does not want you making noise.
    4. Always use the Buddy system... Criminals usually try to pick off the low hanging fruit. A single runner falls into that category. Most criminals will not bother with people running in groups.
    5. Always Run during daylight hours or on well lit courses that are familiar to you. Why give opportunity?
    6. Carry throw away money. If someone accosts you, in most cases it is because they are wanting money. Carry a handful of change you can fling in their face. It can disorient your attacker while you make your escape.
    7. Unless you have training, remember that weapons work both ways. A determined assailant is often more than a match for someone unprepared to use a weapon. In many cases the person holding the weapon is the person who is injured.
    8. Always follow your instincts... we have that sixth sense for a reason. If something feels wrong, it usually is. Seek help or move to a more populated area.
    9. Always bring bus/cab fare. Hailing a taxi may cut short your run, but could save your life.
    10. Eye contact is a sign of confidence and awareness. By establishing eye contact, you let the criminal know you are aware of their presence. Criminals are less likely to attack someone exhibiting confidence.
    11. There are no rules to defending yourself. If someone attacks you, you have every right to gouge, kick, poke, slap or hit someone any place you can. Focus on pressure points that will disorient your attacker (groin, throat, eyes, ears, nose, armpits). Never maintain the fight longer than is required for you to flee. Yelling and screaming may attract help.
    12. If you are overpowered, and an attacker is trying to rape you... urinating and defecating have helped some women stop the attack.

Hope these help!
    Thank you so much for these! I practice most of them already but I never thought about the throwaway money (which is pretty logical actually).