How thick is your skin?

Options
13»

Replies

• Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what the criticism is about. I can take advice but when people are just pointing out things that are wrong with you for the sake of it, that's when it bothers me.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    You'll never find a successful person who hasn't been criticized on time or another. It's part of the process. If someone on here doesn't know how to handle some truthful opinions, they either were pretty introverted or they were used to people telling them what they wanted to hear to appease them.
    What I notice is that people usually think it's a "personal" attack on them, when usually it's an objection to the approach they are taking to weight loss.

There are a lot of introverted people in the world, so that is a pretty big exclusion, and a lot of assumptions, too. As far as "personal attack," that needs context, every situation is different; and sometimes I have noticed that there are personal attacks happening. (That I've observed, without being any kind of party or even participant to the conversation.)

I'm much more diplomatic about it because I do it daily in my profession, but some are pretty blunt. Could they word it better? Sure, but if their suggestion is on point, it should be considered whether you like the way they say it or not. That's an objective approach and not a subjective one.

I have also noticed times when things were stated in a blunt way. Blunt is dandy. It's clear and simple, and usually, blunt gets a thankful reply. Blunt does not mean tactless, though, and I also noticed plenty of tactlessness. Personally, I take "on point" to mean "accurate." It does not mean disdain, ridicule or rudeness. And, to be objective, some of MFP's "Community Guidelines" are subjective.

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    justrollme wrote: »
    You'll never find a successful person who hasn't been criticized on time or another. It's part of the process. If someone on here doesn't know how to handle some truthful opinions, they either were pretty introverted or they were used to people telling them what they wanted to hear to appease them.
    What I notice is that people usually think it's a "personal" attack on them, when usually it's an objection to the approach they are taking to weight loss.

There are a lot of introverted people in the world, so that is a pretty big exclusion, and a lot of assumptions, too. As far as "personal attack," that needs context, every situation is different; and sometimes I have noticed that there are personal attacks happening. (That I've observed, without being any kind of party or even participant to the conversation.)

I'm much more diplomatic about it because I do it daily in my profession, but some are pretty blunt. Could they word it better? Sure, but if their suggestion is on point, it should be considered whether you like the way they say it or not. That's an objective approach and not a subjective one.

I have also noticed times when things were stated in a blunt way. Blunt is dandy. It's clear and simple, and usually, blunt gets a thankful reply. Blunt does not mean tactless, though, and I also noticed plenty of tactlessness. Personally, I take "on point" to mean "accurate." It does not mean disdain, ridicule or rudeness. And, to be objective, some of MFP's "Community Guidelines" are subjective.

I learned early on with MFP that to engage on the main forums potentially opens you up to "disdain, ridicule or rudeness" as the above poster mentioned. The first time it happened to me I was a bit shocked and dismayed, but I soon got over it. Some people really do get their kicks by making others feel small and that's pretty sh**ty, but that's life. I'm pretty careful what I post now because I don't enjoy that kind of interaction.

It really annoys me when someone has asked a legitimate question (to them) and the responses border on ridicule and bullying. (I know some of you don't care if I'm annoyed and I don't care that you don't care.) LOL

Many people here are just venturing into the world of online communities and trying to get a handle on their weight issues by reaching out to others for support. Without the experience of weeks or months online interacting with people (including the occasional tool), some may take it quite personally. The tone of some of the feedback on this forum can be discouraging, and that's too bad, but it's the nature of the forum.

My advice to new members is to find a group to join and make some new friends. That's where you'll find the support you're looking for and you won't have to grow a thick skin.