desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others lol I fit it in my daily budget
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Was just reading something about the whipping:

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2012/07/whats-the-difference-between-gelato-and-ice-cream.html

...Compared to today's American-style ice cream (that's one made with egg yolks, as is basically the new standard in home recipes and commercial products), gelato has less fat in the base and less air churned into it during the freezing process. American ice creams are heavy on the cream, and have a fat content, by American labeling law, of at least 10% (considerably higher in most homemade and many premium versions). Gelato, by comparison, uses more milk than cream, so it doesn't have nearly as much fat. Additionally, it usually—but not always—uses fewer (to the point of none) egg yolks, another source of fat in custard-based ice creams.

American-style ice creams are churned fast and hard to whip in plenty of air (called overrun), which is aided by the high proportion of cream in the base. The most high-end ice creams have an overrun of 25% or so, which means they've increased in volume by 25%; cheaper commercial versions can run from 50% to over 90%, which gives them a light, thin, fast-melting texture that isn't very flavorful (those bites are a quarter to a half air!). Gelato is churned at a much slower speed, which introduces less air into the base—think whipping cream by hand instead of with a stand mixer. That's why it tastes more dense than ice cream—it is.

And what about sugar? Well, sugar levels vary wildly in ice cream and gelato recipes, so there's less of a hard difference there.

Have you ever been made fun of for paying $3, $4, or $5 for a pint of ice cream or gelato, when you could get a 1/2 gal for the same price? I just tell those people they don't know what ice cream is.
  • littleb0peep
    littleb0peep Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    One does not simply quit dessert.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

tumblr_inline_mlqcvkcAos1qz4rgp.jpg
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

tumblr_inline_mlqcvkcAos1qz4rgp.jpg

Lol!!!! Hysterical!
  • tabl_23
    tabl_23 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    Check out Pinterest for mug cakes! I have never made one because lazy, but they look so good! They will have a lot of different low cal desserts, too, I'm sure!

I make the mug cakes....they are awesome. A bit dry for me tho. I too it with dark chocolate chips or whip cream. They are super good and you don't have to worry about a whole cake staring you down for days on end
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just finished my dessert. An Orange dream bar that's only 70 calories. I have one almost every night! Lost 27lbs so far!