Wearing tight / smaller clothes to lose weight

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Sounds uncomfortable and theres nothing worse than bulges over too tight clothes IMO :/
    Buy reasonably priced clothes that are flattering in your current size and then when you keep losing then you'll enjoy shopping for the next size down :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well as I was losing weight and had to buy new pants at the change of season, yeah, I was buying a tighter size because I didn't want to waste money on something I wasn't going to wear a long time anyway, and I was wearing baggy tops so it's not like anyone noticed.

If it was for work though, nope, I wouldn't do it.
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I actually do something totally opposite. I still have quite a bit of weight to go, but at 1lb a week, it's going to take a while. So every now and then, I buy myself a nice shirt that I really love and that fits well. When I dress in something that I look good in and feel good in, it makes me happy. When I'm happy, I'm far more motivated and it's a constant reminder of all the work I've done so far and how much I can still do to do better.

I do this too! Or I buy clothes that just fit but might need extra control underwear to make it look smoother/better fit. When I was a bridesmaid recently the dress was ridiculously tight so I had to focus more than usual on weight loss for a month to make sure it fit. In that case I knew I didn't really have a choice but to make it work! At the moment I wear clothes that fit just right so I can tell when I am bloating up really easily and that is motivating I guess.

I'm still weighing in weekly and I just like seeing the number go down as my main motivator
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I can't afford to buy clothes that don't fit--even with the thrift shop route. However, there's nothing better than going to Salvation Army and discovering that, yes, you fit into that smaller size now, and then spend appropriately. :blush:
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I found it better to buy clothes that look flattering and fit me well. It was really motivating to me to have family/friends/co-workers notice and comment on my weight loss, which was really emphasized by my new, well fitting clothes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    That sounds horrible. Not only do I want to look nice, I can't imagine having to work and travel all day in ill fitting clothes. I work with children so I'm constantly up and down off of the floor. I can barely even stand to wear jeans.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Anyone buy/wear clothes that are tight to lose weight? I read this somewhere. It said that if you wear clothes that feel small it will keep weight loss in your mind. I do this with my work uniform. It's snug enough that it makes me make better choices during the day. I've went through three uniform sizes this year.

Because I wear military uniforms, they are pretty forgiving so I don't look terrible when it's snug. I know when I wear a t-shirt and jeans that are too tight, I can look like stuffed sausage.

Nope. I prefer clothes that fit and that I'm comfortable in.
    What are some things you guys do to remember to make good choices?

I weigh all my food, log everything I eat, log my exercise (burns from heart rate monitor), eat back my exercise calories, and make the decision that maintaining weight (I've lost 44 pounds already) is more important than what I used to feel like when I was overweight. I make sure I reasonably stay within my calories goals and generally calculate on a weekly basis.

You have to really want to lose weight, and if you don't really want to it's not going to happen.

The choice is yours. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I have a stack of jeans in my closet with ever-decreasing waist sizes. Every few weeks, I'll try on the next size down to see if it fits now or not. If it fits - awesome! If not? Back on the top of the pile it goes. Would I wear them if they were uncomfortably tight? Not a snowball's chance in hell. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've found it more motivating to just wear clothes that fit. I feel happier, more comfortable and actually want to do things. I feel more energized and positive toward losing weight when my clothes fit vs too tight or too loose.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing too-tight clothes when I was 18. Too-tight clothes make me uncomfortable and irritable, but if OP can deal with it, go her.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    It works for some and doesn't work for others. I've seen LOTS of people out there that wearing 2 sizes too small for them because they think it's sexy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I like to be comfy. Wearing something tight just to make me realize I'm fat, when I can just as easily look in a mirror, would totally have me depressed all day long. I'd rather wear outfits I can work in comfortably.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    It works for some and doesn't work for others. I've seen LOTS of people out there that wearing 2 sizes too small for them because they think it's sexy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I know! Muffin tops galore!
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like to wear too tight clothes because I look heavier and they look unattractive. What I have been doing is buying clothes that barely fit and I need to lose 5 or 10 pounds to wear. I have intermediate weight loss goals and one is for an upcoming vacation. I bought some new things for that and am on track so at that weight they will fit and look good.

I think you may be thinking of wearing fitted clothes like slacks with zippers and buttons instead of stretchy yoga pants. A small weight gain is noticeable with fitted clothes and is not with stretchy clothes. I do think in maintaining it is a great thing to stay on top of any slight gain - if I did that I wouldn't have gained all my weight back and yes, I am guilty of loving stretchy clothes but I do live/work in a casual environment.

I haven't purchased a goal weight dress or outfit. Unfortunately I have been on this path before and did that in the past - keep trying on the dress and one day it really fits.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I've found it more motivating to just wear clothes that fit. I feel happier, more comfortable and actually want to do things. I feel more energized and positive toward losing weight when my clothes fit vs too tight or too loose.

Same for me.

I sometimes find it motivating to have clothes to aspire to (like clothes that used to fit or maybe a pair of jeans one size down), but wearing stuff that makes me feel bad doesn't work for me and I tend to do better when I'm feeling good about myself.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I buy some clothes too small on purpose. so I have goal clothes. but I try not to wear too tight clothes. I am not a fan of armpit wedgies
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Making myself wear small clothes wouldn't motivate me at all. For me, it would just make me feel uncomfortable, gross, and insecure. Negative motivation doesn't work on me; it just makes me depressed. Plus, I've got a lot of weight to lose, so if I did this I'd be spending a very long time in clothing that was too small for me. I personally don't want to spend a year or more of my life looking bad and feeling uncomfortable.

I do plan on buying smaller clothing though, in the not to distant future. I do most of my clothes shopping at a plus size store called Torrid. At certain times you can earn these coupons for $25 off of $50, and in the redemption period you can use as many as you have all at once. I've got 5 of them, which will give me $125 off of $250. The redemption date is in mid October, so depending on were my weight is then I'm going to likely buy a bunch of clothes a size too small for me. But honestly, that's more of a financial decision than a motivational one. I just don't want to buy a bunch of new clothing and then have them become too big on me almost immediately. :D
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Life is too short for too-tight clothing.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Anyone buy/wear clothes that are tight to lose weight? I read this somewhere. It said that if you wear clothes that feel small it will keep weight loss in your mind. I do this with my work uniform. It's snug enough that it makes me make better choices during the day. I've went through three uniform sizes this year.

Because I wear military uniforms, they are pretty forgiving so I don't look terrible when it's snug. I know when I wear a t-shirt and jeans that are too tight, I can look like stuffed sausage.

Nope. I prefer clothes that fit and that I'm comfortable in.
    What are some things you guys do to remember to make good choices?

I weigh all my food, log everything I eat, log my exercise (burns from heart rate monitor), eat back my exercise calories, and make the decision that maintaining weight (I've lost 44 pounds already) is more important than what I used to feel like when I was overweight. I make sure I reasonably stay within my calories goals and generally calculate on a weekly basis.

You have to really want to lose weight, and if you don't really want to it's not going to happen.

The choice is yours. :)

I made the choice. The clothes I'm referring to are my uniform for work and I've had them for almost 5 years. I joined the military and were issued them in basic training. Since then, I've had two kids. I feel proud being able to wear them and losing the 40+ pounds it took to wear them again.

I am motivated to lose weight and I've been doing it. I think it is very motivating, also, to be able to wear something that I haven't for a long time and feel it slowly getting looser.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The clothes I'm referring to are the ones I'm wearing in my picture. If my pants are snug, it's not like anyone will notice. Like I said, the uniform is very forgiving but I would not be caught dead in jeans and a shirt that were too tight. I would feel really uncomfortable and fat.