Wearing tight / smaller clothes to lose weight

Options

Replies

• justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I stopped wearing too-tight clothes when I was 18. Too-tight clothes make me uncomfortable and irritable, but if OP can deal with it, go her.

This. Too tight clothes give me muffin-top anxiety, which means a lot of fidgeting, discomfort and hyper self-awareness/terrible self-confidence.

But, this has also reminded me that when I get to my final goal and need to replace most of my wardrobe, I will be avoiding elastic-waist skirts & pants, big time. I think I used to tend to ignore my weight gain when I didn't immediately notice it with how my clothes fit. Then again, I never weighed myself until I started making changes to get healthy, so I'd better keep the scale for the rest of my life, too. So, I guess what I'll be avoiding most of all is denial!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I purchase clothes that fit. Never a fan of tight clothes. WHY??? Small, ill fitting clothes actually make you look larger, sloppy and just plain old bad.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    That sounds awful. I hate being miserable stuffed into too tight clothes. Plus when I look like crap I feel like crap and I just don't care. I'd be more likely to overeat when I'm miserable and looking like a stuffed sausage then when I'm feeling good about myself in clothes that fit.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm right in between sizes and I wanted a new pair of pants for work. I decided to go a size down because I've been making steady progress. Right now those pants are a bit too tight, but at about two pounds down, they should be perfect. I would have waited to buy them at all, but it was a 60% off clearance item. They were so cheap, if for some reason I don't get there, I won't feel terrible about donating them; they aren't torturing me. I just figured it would be a better use of my money to wear something I can fit into at my goal maintenance weight than something that would likely only fit well for a couple months.

I won't wear them until they're comfortable; I enjoy breathing.

I think that may very well be the only time I've bought something that didn't fit.
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't like tight clothes, but I do try to wear clothes that are somewhat fitted. If I wear baggy I get too comfortable, and stray from my food plan. Looking in the mirror helps too.. ugh!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Anyone buy/wear clothes that are tight to lose weight? I read this somewhere. It said that if you wear clothes that feel small it will keep weight loss in your mind. I do this with my work uniform. It's snug enough that it makes me make better choices during the day. I've went through three uniform sizes this year.

Because I wear military uniforms, they are pretty forgiving so I don't look terrible when it's snug. I know when I wear a t-shirt and jeans that are too tight, I can look like stuffed sausage.

What are some things you guys do to remember to make good choices?

Actually the fit of my clothing was the main catalyst for staying in shape for years! When my clothes started to fit tighter, primarily the waist on my pants, it started to feel uncomfortable and give me anxiety. I refused to just accept that I needed to go to a bigger size, I found that concept appalling, so it triggered more healthy habits.

Now I have a much more scientific approach to fitness that doesn't entail me bulging out of my clothes :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    I'm right in between sizes and I wanted a new pair of pants for work. I decided to go a size down because I've been making steady progress. Right now those pants are a bit too tight, but at about two pounds down, they should be perfect. I would have waited to buy them at all, but it was a 60% off clearance item. They were so cheap, if for some reason I don't get there, I won't feel terrible about donating them; they aren't torturing me. I just figured it would be a better use of my money to wear something I can fit into at my goal maintenance weight than something that would likely only fit well for a couple months.

I think that may very well be the only time I've bought something that didn't fit.

That's pretty much what I did. When the weather changed and I had to buy new jeans, I had the choice between buying size 10s that fit great but would be too big in 2 months, or size 8s that were a bit tight. I knew I was going to lose at least another 10 pounds.

I don't like wasting money on something I'll only wear for a month or two, so I bought the size 8s, which I wore for a year. I'm kinda surprised at how many people on this thread like throwing money out of the window, honestly.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'll often buy the next size down, but not wear them until they fit properly. It motivates me to continues loosing.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    I refuse to wear clothes that are too tight or too big. wearing things that are the correct size is much more comfortable not to mention flattering (whether you are a size 6 or a size 22)....

that said, I will buy clothes that are a size or two too small and tuck them away for when they DO fit. I have several items that are that way, and just last night fit into a pair of shorts that were up until then, too small.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    personally, I think too many people put way too much emphasis on the actual weight loss and they obsess about that rather than focusing their energies on eating well and nutrition and rocking their fitness...IMO, positive weight management is simply a bi-product of good livin'

I don't need clothes that are too tight to inspire me to good livin'...being fit and healthy is awesome, and really the only inspiration I need.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »

That's pretty much what I did. When the weather changed and I had to buy new jeans, I had the choice between buying size 10s that fit great but would be too big in 2 months, or size 8s that were a bit tight. I knew I was going to lose at least another 10 pounds.

I don't like wasting money on something I'll only wear for a month or two, so I bought the size 8s, which I wore for a year. I'm kinda surprised at how many people on this thread like throwing money out of the window, honestly.
    I don't consider it throwing money out of the window when I'm buying new clothes for work. I work in a professional environment and I meet with our customers on a regular basis, so I feel that I need to wear clothes that fit properly and look professional.

I'm a little more forgiving with my casual clothing since I only really wear it on the weekends. It took me a lot longer to buy new jeans and shorts than it did work clothes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to figure out how you know how long you'll be in a size. There's no way I could buy a certain size today and say that I will have shrunk out of it within a certain span of time.
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I do it sometimes. It doesn't always work, but, I have usually found that if you wear loose clothing it will make it much easier to overeat. Same goes for only wearing knit pants, it gets way too easy to overeat without noticing.
  • kdz526
    kdz526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I buy the next size down of my every day jeans and periodically try them on to see how the fit is. i don't really wear them out and about until I like the way they fit (no muffin tops please).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    personally, I think too many people put way too much emphasis on the actual weight loss and they obsess about that rather than focusing their energies on eating well and nutrition and rocking their fitness...IMO, positive weight management is simply a bi-product of good livin'

I don't need clothes that are too tight to inspire me to good livin'...being fit and healthy is awesome, and really the only inspiration I need.

This. Because I feel so great being fit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    0myHeer0 wrote: »
    I stopped wearing too-tight clothes when I was 18. Too-tight clothes make me uncomfortable and irritable, but if OP can deal with it, go her.

why 18? You were still young and life begins at 18. Life's too short to not want to feel sexy and beautiful in tight (rather fitted) clothes. I mean not every day but the times you go out to parties and what not especially at 21. Vegas, bars, clubs, pool parties, etc.

Not everybody is into Vegas, bars, clubs, pool parties, etc. And not everybody requires tight clothes to feel sexy and beautiful.

What a weird question.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    0myHeer0 wrote: »

why 18? You were still young and life begins at 18. Life's too short to not want to feel sexy and beautiful in tight (rather fitted) clothes. I mean not every day but the times you go out to parties and what not especially at 21. Vegas, bars, clubs, pool parties, etc.

Not everybody is into Vegas, bars, clubs, pool parties, etc. And not everybody requires tight clothes to feel sexy and beautiful.

What a weird question.

agreed with all of the above.....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I like to be comfy. Wearing something tight just to make me realize I'm fat, when I can just as easily look in a mirror, would totally have me depressed all day long. I'd rather wear outfits I can work in comfortably.

+1