Can I take out the sugar out of milk by boiling it?

Options
13»

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in the Fairlife product. 5g less sugar is a huge chunk of sugar for me! It might make drinking milk as a regular beverage a possibility again! Thanks for the heads up everyone!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    are processed cheeses not aged in that way? Because I have had trouble with processed cheeses like velveeta in the past. Which is unfortunate, because I enjoy the taste of vel.

Processed cheeses, no. They are just like fresh cheeses, so I avoid them.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I can do cottage cheese, especially if it has a bit of fat in it, like the 2% or 4% variety. but velveeta is a tummy ache waiting to happen for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I get the Fair Life milk. It's more expensive, but I like what it has, so I pay for it.

You cannot do what they do at home with regular kitchen equipment. I'm not even sure if you could set up a lab to do what they do, but the equipment expense and time spent would probably make it easier to just buy the Fair Life milk. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You could look at soy, almond, or coconut milk as alternatives if lactose is your concern. Less cals too!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hey, @Kalikel , a yogurt or a kefir will consume the lactose too, and both can be made at home.
    @lorrpb , coconut milk is not low cal!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see posts like this, I always think of the poor high school chemistry teacher who failed to get through to his/her students if they think that boiling milk removes sugar...

Signed,
    A former high school chemistry teacher
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Hey, @Kalikel , a yogurt or a kefir will consume the lactose too, and both can be made at home.
    I despise yogurt. I so wish I didn't, but I do.

Thanks for the tip, though. :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    MMT is not made of money
    Funny, MMT is the abbreviation for Modern Monetary Theory.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    MMT is not made of money
    Funny, MMT is the abbreviation for Modern Monetary Theory.

heh!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I despise yogurt. I so wish I didn't, but I do.

Thanks for the tip, though. :)

You dislike yogurt, so you only take the tip? o:)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you have a medical issue that requires a lower carbohydrate diet I can see the appeal of a lower sugar (carb) milk.

A better option might be switching to something like almond milk. Trader Joe's makes a good version that is reasonably priced.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is not that much lower in carbohydrate (8g) compared to lactaid (13g).

My chart
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond has less than .5g
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Kefir and yogurt can both be made at home, with kitchen equipment, with the same end result as what is purchased at the store. Lactose free, and when you make it yourself, hey, no added sugar unless you choose to put it in there.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you, @rsclause but your almond milk is not adding protein to your oatmeal.
    Comparing milks
    There's twice as much protein in the oatmeal itself.

Yeah, you're right. I always forget the label says 50% more calcium and not protein but it's