In a HUGE caloric deficient but still not loosing?

Replies

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    hproctor02 wrote: »
    22 year old female. Eating 900-1100 calories per day. Working out 4-6 times a week including cardio and heavy weights. I focus on hitting my protein, fats and carb goals. I have logged everything including dressings, spices and I have been weighing my food for proportions. I started at 293. Last Monday 8/17 I started with cleaning up my diet and working out. I went from 286.4 to 279 in a week, but since then I haven't lost a thing. I even gained a pound? I understand that its still very early...not even two weeks but what the *kitten*? With my deficient and the amount of calories i burn while working out...I should be loosing 0.5 pounds a day at least! I also wear a fit bit that counts calories burned so I am basing my calories out on that. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

I'm surprised no one has suggested this but it's obvious to me that you're most likely NOT eating 900-1100 cals. Doesn't matter what your food tracker says. You're getting it wrong. You can't be 280, exercise 4-6 times and not lose weight. Since you're maintaining, it only means that your food and exercise equals TDEE.

Your solution is to reduce intake(bc your actual it's higher than you think/say), increase exercise(are you strolling around or actually breaking a sweat?) or both.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    22 year old female. Eating 900-1100 calories per day. Working out 4-6 times a week including cardio and heavy weights. I focus on hitting my protein, fats and carb goals. I have logged everything including dressings, spices and I have been weighing my food for proportions. I started at 293. Last Monday 8/17 I started with cleaning up my diet and working out. I went from 286.4 to 279 in a week, but since then I haven't lost a thing. I even gained a pound? I understand that its still very early...not even two weeks but what the *kitten*? With my deficient and the amount of calories i burn while working out...I should be loosing 0.5 pounds a day at least! I also wear a fit bit that counts calories burned so I am basing my calories out on that. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

I'm surprised no one has suggested this but it's obvious to me that you're most likely NOT eating 900-1100 cals. Doesn't matter what your food tracker says. You're getting it wrong. You can't be 280, exercise 4-6 times and not lose weight. Since you're maintaining, it only means that your food and exercise equals TDEE.
    It's only been four days without a loss.

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member

You are seriously under-eating here, are you eating back any of the exercise calories you burn off? From your introduction post it looks like you are not? This is a marathon, not a sprint, and by undereating you are setting yourself up for problems further down the line. MFP sets the lowest calorie limit at 1200 calories for a woman, to ensure you get all the nutrients you need whilst losing weight.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

Your solution is to reduce intake(bc your actual it's higher than you think/say), increase exercise(are you strolling around or actually breaking a sweat?) or both.

Because it's been less than one week! It's very normal to have a week with no loss, particularly after a week with a big loss. She's not "maintaining" yet.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    You should never be in a HUGE deficit. Having said that, definitely agree that first and foremost ensure that you are logging accurately.
    Beyond that, be patient. Weight loss is never that linear.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    and the flowchart is pretty awesome
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Weight loss can be a strange beast. It truly isn't linear. A few weeks ago I was only losing .8 lbs or so a week, and then last week I had a 2 lb loss and this week almost 4 lbs, probably because of fluid retention and other things. Some of my chart has steep drops and other times it looks like I'm barely moving but the key is sticking with it. A low loss or staying the same for a week or two will even out down the road as your body goes through hormone cycles, responds to stress, repairs itself after workouts, etc.

I'm concerned about your low calorie consumption. I weigh less than you and I eat around 1580 calories daily and have lost right around 30 lbs.
  • Traveler120
    maidentl wrote: »

Because it's been less than one week! It's very normal to have a week with no loss, particularly after a week with a big loss. She's not "maintaining" yet.

In a true huge deficit, for someone that size, there should be movement on the scale. I'm 128 and if I eat 1000 and exercise, I will lose something, guaranteed, unless I'm on my cycle and retaining water. Maybe that's what's going on.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member

In a true huge deficit, for someone that size, there should be movement on the scale. I'm 128 and if I eat 1000 and exercise, I will lose something, guaranteed, unless I'm on my cycle and retaining water. Maybe that's what's going on.

Sorry, that's not how it works. She lost 7 pounds in one week and it's been 4 days. That's completely normal and you're not doing her any favors by agreeing with her that she should be seeing movement on the scale every day.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member

Four. Days.

• Traveler120
    Ok, fine, give it a few more days. After that, she needs to scrutinize the accuracy of her intake. People who get that heavy don't get there by being aware of how much they're eating and how big they're getting. It great she's on the right path now but it's unlikely that she's suddenly become accurate on intake. Even dieticians and nutritionists have been found to underestimate intake.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Ok, fine, give it a few more days weeks.

FIFY

Those expecting meaningful results or data in a matter of days are doomed to failure.

The important thing is looking at long term trends, not day to day or even week to week fluctuations
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    edited August 2015
    Ok, fine, give it a few more days. After that, she needs to scrutinize the accuracy of her intake. People who get that heavy don't get there by being aware of how much they're eating and how big they're getting. It great she's on the right path now but it's unlikely that she's suddenly become accurate on intake. Even dieticians and nutritionists have been found to underestimate intake.

Excuse you. That's mighty presumptuous. Often times people who are quite overweight (myself included) are extremely aware of how much they're eating, and how big they're getting. Society sees to that.

While people overestimating the calories they're eating absolutely happens, and weighing food is important for accurate logging, I have a hard time beveling that OP is logging so inaccurately that she thinks she is only eating 900 calories a day, while actually eating above maintenance. I obviously can't say exactly what OP's TDEE is, but I know that I'm 25 pounds lighter than she is, and I work out less frequently than she does, and some days mine can be around 3000 according to my Fitbit. When you're as big as me or OP, it takes a LOT of calories to maintain, especially if you're being active. I can't possibly imagine how someone could be logging SO wrong that they think they're only eating 900 when they're actually eating 3000.

It's only been a few days since OP last lost weight. Weight fluctuates, and she said she just started working out, so she's likely retaining all sorts of water. On top of that, you can't expect to lose evenly every day depending on your deficit. For example, yesterday I ate 1700 calories, which put me at a 1000 calorie deficit for the day. However, I got on the scale this morning and I was 2 lbs heavier than I was yesterday. Did I gain two pounds in a day? Absolutely not. I definitely ate at a deficit. However, I ate a bunch of really crappy, sodium-rich foods yesterday, so my body probably just held on to a bunch of water. Sometimes bodies just do that.
  • hproctor02
    hproctor02 Posts: 20 Member
    No I do not eat back the calories that my fit but estimates I burn, I eat totoal 900 to 1100 a day. I should have mentioned it because it seems like everyone is a nutritionist, but this caloric intake was a number that my physician, as well a dietitian and PA choose for me. With out my work outs the number was closer to 500 calories. I'm also on supplements before and after work outs to help muscle building ect and they are logged daily but have 0 nutrictional value. YES I break a sweat. 3 days a week I lift weights and 2 are usually cardio oh and yes even my obese body can manage a 5k jogging (SHOCKER) and yes it can also handle 20 minutes of hard HITTS (Shocked you again!). And YES even my fat *kitten* is can count the number on a food scale... I weigh EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll check with my physician about the caloric intake.

Stay classy
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member

Your anecdotal "evidence" is not a good enough reason to tell some who is already not eating enough to eat less.
    OP, you need to have more reasonable expectations. You're not going to lose weight every single day, you might as well settle that now. You have a significant amount of weight to lose, so you need to consider what is a sustainable, long-term plan. You may feel fine now, but you're gonna get HUNGRY at some point. And you don't want to end up in a starve/binge cycle like so many people who attempt to keep their calories as low as you have been.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    I have to be honest, I would stop going to any doctor or dietitian who recommended that I only net 500 calories a day. That isn't healthy or reasonable, and you certainly aren't going to build muscle on that. What you will do is wear down your body and be at greater risk for injury.

People are just trying to help you. The overall goal is to live a sustainable lifestyle. People here may or may not be dietitians, but many have lost large amounts of weight. Their collective experience is valuable, even if there is no degree that accompanies it.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    You can only starve yourself for about a month and then you'll give up. Doing crazy extreme weight loss diets is not sustainable. In 30 days when you're ready to listen come on back and try it again but in a healthier way.
  • Traveler120
    edited August 2015

Your anecdotal "evidence" is not a good enough reason to tell some who is already not eating enough to eat less.
    OP, you need to have more reasonable expectations. You're not going to lose weight every single day, you might as well settle that now. You have a significant amount of weight to lose, so you need to consider what is a sustainable, long-term plan. You may feel fine now, but you're gonna get HUNGRY at some point. And you don't want to end up in a starve/binge cycle like so many people who attempt to keep their calories as low as you have been.

You misread. I don't have a lot of weight to lose. I'm 128 lbs and have 8 lbs to lose. I eat 1600-1700 calories, exercise quite a bit (at least 10 hrs/wk of cycling/hiking) and I'm losing 1.2 lbs/week.

I was saying IF, I did eat 1000, I'd for sure be losing weight even though I'm less than half her size, implying that her expectations that she should be losing, are not unfounded. Bigger people lose weight faster than smaller people. In fact, I don't have a problem with the amount she said she eats. After all, as she said, it was prescribed by her doctor/dietician, who are we to say it's wrong for her, if they've designed it to contain all the essential nutrition.

I only questioned the accuracy of the actual intake. In this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
    dietitians underreported by 233 and non-dietitians by 429. Imagine how wrong the rest of us get and we're NOT even under the pressure of a study testing accuracy.

But I do concede that a few days of flatlining are perhaps not long enough to start worrying.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

Are you actually suggesting that this girl eats less, and exercises more - based on the fact that she said that she's currently at a level of 900-1000 cals? She said she's weighing her food and logging everything. The correct answer is that she needs to update her expectations, increase her calorie goal, and be patient.

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    No I do not eat back the calories that my fit but estimates I burn, I eat totoal 900 to 1100 a day. I should have mentioned it because it seems like everyone is a nutritionist, but this caloric intake was a number that my physician, as well a dietitian and PA choose for me. With out my work outs the number was closer to 500 calories. I'm also on supplements before and after work outs to help muscle building ect and they are logged daily but have 0 nutrictional value. YES I break a sweat. 3 days a week I lift weights and 2 are usually cardio oh and yes even my obese body can manage a 5k jogging (SHOCKER) and yes it can also handle 20 minutes of hard HITTS (Shocked you again!). And YES even my fat *kitten* is can count the number on a food scale... I weigh EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll check with my physician about the caloric intake.

Stay classy

The only shocking part about this for me is you are totalling approx 5-600 calories a day, even with a dr, a physician and a PA involved, that is extremely low and fatigue and dizziness will soon set in (Shocking news, there are few diets I have not tried in the past) I would check if they meant 900-1100 in total a day or to eat back a proportion of your exercise calories.