In a HUGE caloric deficient but still not loosing?

Replies

• hproctor02
    hproctor02 Posts: 20 Member
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    You can only starve yourself for about a month and then you'll give up. Doing crazy extreme weight loss diets is not sustainable. In 30 days when you're ready to listen come on back and try it again but in a healthier way.

I agree it's not sustainable for months or even years. But yes, theyre are many people out there who have consulted physicians, been put on EXTREEM low cal/carb diets for months and then started the long term programs. This was a program that was specifically designed for me by my physicians and a dietitian. My caloric intake will increase and then move to a maintainable life style.

I'll post in 30 days for you though
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    +1 on you should eat more for your health's sake and also 4 days of no weight loss after you lost 8 pounds all at once is not unusual.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    THIS^^^^^
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    hproctor02 wrote: »
    No I do not eat back the calories that my fit but estimates I burn, I eat totoal 900 to 1100 a day. I should have mentioned it because it seems like everyone is a nutritionist, but this caloric intake was a number that my physician, as well a dietitian and PA choose for me. With out my work outs the number was closer to 500 calories. I'm also on supplements before and after work outs to help muscle building ect and they are logged daily but have 0 nutrictional value. YES I break a sweat. 3 days a week I lift weights and 2 are usually cardio oh and yes even my obese body can manage a 5k jogging (SHOCKER) and yes it can also handle 20 minutes of hard HITTS (Shocked you again!). And YES even my fat *kitten* is can count the number on a food scale... I weigh EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll check with my physician about the caloric intake.

Stay classy

Do you have a fat *kitten* or a fit butt? I'm confused.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    No I do not eat back the calories that my fit but estimates I burn, I eat totoal 900 to 1100 a day. I should have mentioned it because it seems like everyone is a nutritionist, but this caloric intake was a number that my physician, as well a dietitian and PA choose for me. With out my work outs the number was closer to 500 calories. I'm also on supplements before and after work outs to help muscle building ect and they are logged daily but have 0 nutrictional value. YES I break a sweat. 3 days a week I lift weights and 2 are usually cardio oh and yes even my obese body can manage a 5k jogging (SHOCKER) and yes it can also handle 20 minutes of hard HITTS (Shocked you again!). And YES even my fat *kitten* is can count the number on a food scale... I weigh EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll check with my physician about the caloric intake.

Stay classy

Whelp....

*unsubscibes*
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    You are assuming that what you do today is instantly going to transform your body tomorrow. The human body is NOT that efficient. Some of what you do today may show results tomorrow, or 3 days from now, or next week. Do keep going, but consider reconsidering your calorie intake to meet minimum nutrition requirements. And trust that in time, the science will work.
  • mollyhen17
    mollyhen17 Posts: 2 Member
    I think your eating much more than you think. For instance Canned Whipped Heavy Cream, 2 T is NOT 20 Kcal more like 60 or more! You dont eat any green vegetables, fruits or salad.
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Well you sure seem to have everything figured out and don't seem hangry at all.

Have fun trying to continue your workouts on such poor nutrition.

Buuuuuuurn! I'm dyin! Lol
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    maidentl wrote: »
    22 year old female. Eating 900-1100 calories per day. Working out 4-6 times a week including cardio and heavy weights. I focus on hitting my protein, fats and carb goals. I have logged everything including dressings, spices and I have been weighing my food for proportions. I started at 293. Last Monday 8/17 I started with cleaning up my diet and working out. I went from 286.4 to 279 in a week, but since then I haven't lost a thing. I even gained a pound? I understand that its still very early...not even two weeks but what the *kitten*? With my deficient and the amount of calories i burn while working out...I should be loosing 0.5 pounds a day at least! I also wear a fit bit that counts calories burned so I am basing my calories out on that. Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

I'm surprised no one has suggested this but it's obvious to me that you're most likely NOT eating 900-1100 cals. Doesn't matter what your food tracker says. You're getting it wrong. You can't be 280, exercise 4-6 times and not lose weight. Since you're maintaining, it only means that your food and exercise equals TDEE.

Your solution is to reduce intake(bc your actual it's higher than you think/say), increase exercise(are you strolling around or actually breaking a sweat?) or both.

Because it's been less than one week! It's very normal to have a week with no loss, particularly after a week with a big loss. She's not "maintaining" yet.

In a true huge deficit, for someone that size, there should be movement on the scale. I'm 128 and if I eat 1000 and exercise, I will lose something, guaranteed, unless I'm on my cycle and retaining water. Maybe that's what's going on.
    Your anecdotal "evidence" is not a good enough reason to tell some who is already not eating enough to eat less.
    OP, you need to have more reasonable expectations. You're not going to lose weight every single day, you might as well settle that now. You have a significant amount of weight to lose, so you need to consider what is a sustainable, long-term plan. You may feel fine now, but you're gonna get HUNGRY at some point. And you don't want to end up in a starve/binge cycle like so many people who attempt to keep their calories as low as you have been.

You misread. I don't have a lot of weight to lose. I'm 128 lbs and have 8 lbs to lose. I eat 1600-1700 calories, exercise quite a bit (at least 10 hrs/wk of cycling/hiking) and I'm losing 1.2 lbs/week.

I was saying IF, I did eat 1000, I'd for sure be losing weight even though I'm less than half her size, implying that her expectations that she should be losing, are not unfounded. Bigger people lose weight faster than smaller people. In fact, I don't have a problem with the amount she said she eats. After all, as she said, it was prescribed by her doctor/dietician, who are we to say it's wrong for her, if they've designed it to contain all the essential nutrition.

I only questioned the accuracy of the actual intake. In this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160
    dietitians underreported by 233 and non-dietitians by 429. Imagine how wrong the rest of us get and we're NOT even under the pressure of a study testing accuracy.

But I do concede that a few days of flatlining are perhaps not long enough to start worrying.

I concede that plant based diets are silly.

Because bacon.
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    Have fun screwing up your body by making poor choices. What is it you need from us?
  • hproctor02

The only shocking part about this for me is you are totalling approx 5-600 calories a day, even with a dr, a physician and a PA involved, that is extremely low and fatigue and dizziness will soon set in (Shocking news, there are few diets I have not tried in the past) I would check if they meant 900-1100 in total a day or to eat back a proportion of your exercise calories.
    [/quote]

Stay classy

Lol I'm definitely not hangry. There were a few very rude post implying that because I am obese i cant count ounces/grams, I probably don't break a sweat and that i'm likely "lying: about what I am logging. I dint post in a public weight loss/ fit forum to be scrutinize and that's what that was addressing. I was looking for people who have been in similar situations as me and the food changes I've made. Anyone who has consulted extreme weightloss programs have run into diets like the HCG and metabolic research center low calorie diets 500-1200 depending on your activity level. I was really looking for others who have done similar diets and routines.
  • hproctor02
    You are assuming that what you do today is instantly going to transform your body tomorrow. The human body is NOT that efficient. Some of what you do today may show results tomorrow, or 3 days from now, or next week. Do keep going, but consider reconsidering your calorie intake to meet minimum nutrition requirements. And trust that in time, the science will work.

Thank you!

• hproctor02

Buuuuuuurn! I'm dyin! Lol

Comments like this is why Ive never asked anything on this site. No matter where you go, there are always going to be trolls like yourself making comments like these...Please stay off the posts unless you have input regarding the original comment.

• hproctor02
    mollyhen17 wrote: »
    I think your eating much more than you think. For instance Canned Whipped Heavy Cream, 2 T is NOT 20 Kcal more like 60 or more! You dont eat any green vegetables, fruits or salad.

The whip cream was scanned right from the can and then weighed - it was non fat, 0 carbs and low cal. Yes, I do eat vegetables and fruit and salad. I work two jobs so when I meal prep I hate putting in mushy cooked veggies that I cannot re-heat due to no microwave or stove. I have been relying on "greens" drinks when my schedule is hectic. Drinking the recommended dose give me two full servings of veggies a day. Im defintly trying to intake more fresh veggies when I can. I also 2-3 apples a day and mix in grapefruits on breakfast.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    The only shocking part about this for me is you are totalling approx 5-600 calories a day, even with a dr, a physician and a PA involved, that is extremely low and fatigue and dizziness will soon set in (Shocking news, there are few diets I have not tried in the past) I would check if they meant 900-1100 in total a day or to eat back a proportion of your exercise calories.

Stay classy

Lol I'm definitely not hangry. There were a few very rude post implying that because I am obese i cant count ounces/grams, I probably don't break a sweat and that i'm likely "lying: about what I am logging. I dint post in a public weight loss/ fit forum to be scrutinize and that's what that was addressing. I was looking for people who have been in similar situations as me and the food changes I've made. Anyone who has consulted extreme weightloss programs have run into diets like the HCG and metabolic research center low calorie diets 500-1200 depending on your activity level. I was really looking for others who have done similar diets and routines. [/quote]

Wait. So are you doing an HCG or other similar diet, even if under the guidance of your doctor? Is the doctor your regular doctor, or a registered dietician, or someone at a weight loss center?

• hproctor02

Stay classy

Do you have a fat *kitten* or a fit butt? I'm confused.

Im confused. Can people my size not be able to work out at high intensities?

• hproctor02
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Stay classy

Lol I'm definitely not hangry. There were a few very rude post implying that because I am obese i cant count ounces/grams, I probably don't break a sweat and that i'm likely "lying: about what I am logging. I dint post in a public weight loss/ fit forum to be scrutinize and that's what that was addressing. I was looking for people who have been in similar situations as me and the food changes I've made. Anyone who has consulted extreme weightloss programs have run into diets like the HCG and metabolic research center low calorie diets 500-1200 depending on your activity level. I was really looking for others who have done similar diets and routines.

Wait. So are you doing an HCG or other similar diet, even if under the guidance of your doctor? Is the doctor your regular doctor, or a registered dietician, or someone at a weight loss center?

[/quote]

It's my primary physician who also works with patients on meal planning, and then weve been working with a registered dietitian. Its a plan similar to those you would find at weight loss centers, but its not an exact replica. I don't pre-purchase any foods or drinks. I just used it as a reference for those who are familiar with such plans. This deficient is 100% not forever or even an extended period of time. Its a kick start into the weight loss and then the program starts building back up to maintenance for the body depending on the individuals weight loss.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member

Stay classy

Lol I'm definitely not hangry. There were a few very rude post implying that because I am obese i cant count ounces/grams, I probably don't break a sweat and that i'm likely "lying: about what I am logging. I dint post in a public weight loss/ fit forum to be scrutinize and that's what that was addressing. I was looking for people who have been in similar situations as me and the food changes I've made. Anyone who has consulted extreme weightloss programs have run into diets like the HCG and metabolic research center low calorie diets 500-1200 depending on your activity level. I was really looking for others who have done similar diets and routines. [/quote]

Most people aren't calling you a liar for the accuracy (or lack thereof) of your logging. Pretty much ALL of us started out thinking we were doing it correctly when we weren't. I thought I was doing ok, but tried logging with a scale for a week and was SHOCKED by how off I was. Something 400-500 A DAY wasn't being logged! Learning to log accurately is a skill you have to learn, you don't just 'know' it. 'Knowing' how much I was eating wasn't enough because I really didn't know. I had to retrain my body and brain to what a proper portion of food was, and even now I still weigh food from time to time to keep myself on track.

If you've honestly gone THAT low in calories and aren't losing any weight over the course of a couple of weeks, you should talk to your doctor. Weight loss is simply burning more calories than you consume (CICO). That's it. You can achieve this by either eating less, burning more, or a combination of those two. It's just that simple. HOW you do it is up to you. People are recommending you not do 'diets' or supplements or the like because they don't work long term. You have to relearn eating habits to KEEP weight off, and those things don't do that. A lot of them can be dangerous because your body won't get the nutrition it needs to function correctly, which is part of the reason people get hungry or not feel good while doing it.

You also need to keep in mind that to lose weight in a healthy manner and keep it off, it's going to be SLOW. You didn't put on the weight in a week, you're not going to lose it all in a week. Nor is the weight loss going to be EXACTLY the same every week. There are so many variables involved that there will be weeks you lose nothing and weeks where you lose more than you thought you would. Don't weigh yourself every day (unless you doctor needs a daily weight log). Weigh yourself once a month and log it. As long as the overall TREND in your weight is going down, you're doing good. Don't stress if it goes up or stays the same unless it does so for a month.

Now, if you're on a VLCD given to you by your doctor, that's another story. If they did so, they should have given you a very detailed plan, be monitoring you weekly to make sure you're getting the nutrition you need, and have an after-care plan when you start upping your calories again. But if your doctor just said 'eat this much every day' without any kind of direction, has no plan and support for AFTER your VLCD time, and told you to take something like HCG or other diet pills, GET A SECOND OPINION. You are perfectly within your rights to do so and you don't have to tell the current doctor you're doing so if you don't want to. After all, this is your health we're talking about. You need to take charge of it and don't be afraid to question if you're given dubious advice. Good luck!
  • hproctor02
    edited August 2015
    dubird wrote: »

Stay classy

Most people aren't calling you a liar for the accuracy (or lack thereof) of your logging. Pretty much ALL of us started out thinking we were doing it correctly when we weren't. I thought I was doing ok, but tried logging with a scale for a week and was SHOCKED by how off I was. Something 400-500 A DAY wasn't being logged! Learning to log accurately is a skill you have to learn, you don't just 'know' it. 'Knowing' how much I was eating wasn't enough because I really didn't know. I had to retrain my body and brain to what a proper portion of food was, and even now I still weigh food from time to time to keep myself on track.

If you've honestly gone THAT low in calories and aren't losing any weight over the course of a couple of weeks, you should talk to your doctor. Weight loss is simply burning more calories than you consume (CICO). That's it. You can achieve this by either eating less, burning more, or a combination of those two. It's just that simple. HOW you do it is up to you. People are recommending you not do 'diets' or supplements or the like because they don't work long term. You have to relearn eating habits to KEEP weight off, and those things don't do that. A lot of them can be dangerous because your body won't get the nutrition it needs to function correctly, which is part of the reason people get hungry or not feel good while doing it.

You also need to keep in mind that to lose weight in a healthy manner and keep it off, it's going to be SLOW. You didn't put on the weight in a week, you're not going to lose it all in a week. Nor is the weight loss going to be EXACTLY the same every week. There are so many variables involved that there will be weeks you lose nothing and weeks where you lose more than you thought you would. Don't weigh yourself every day (unless you doctor needs a daily weight log). Weigh yourself once a month and log it. As long as the overall TREND in your weight is going down, you're doing good. Don't stress if it goes up or stays the same unless it does so for a month.

Now, if you're on a VLCD given to you by your doctor, that's another story. If they did so, they should have given you a very detailed plan, be monitoring you weekly to make sure you're getting the nutrition you need, and have an after-care plan when you start upping your calories again. But if your doctor just said 'eat this much every day' without any kind of direction, has no plan and support for AFTER your VLCD time, and told you to take something like HCG or other diet pills, GET A SECOND OPINION. You are perfectly within your rights to do so and you don't have to tell the current doctor you're doing so if you don't want to. After all, this is your health we're talking about. You need to take charge of it and don't be afraid to question if you're given dubious advice. Good luck![/quote]

Thanks!I weigh in twice a week and share my food diary weekly as well and they tweek it. I work about 110 hours a with two jobs so it gets a little hectic so they are suggesting foods that can be taken on the go. This is not a permanent "diet", its just the first step in a multi step program. There was one guy who said "if your that *kitten* fat and not loosing, your straight lying about weighing everything"...I had MFP remove it..