Gym vs home

Options
I am getting back on weight lost journey. Trying to decide if I want to get a gym membership. Do you guys workout in a gym or gone? Which do you prefer

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i prefer to work at home and at the yoga studio where I work. come winter I might consider a gym

I just find the gym tedious and boring and stinky
  • DStroyNKonker
    DStroyNKonker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a good collection of tools at home (a mini gym in my basement with dumbells/bench/squat rack/treadmill/wall mounted flat screen for P90X3 and for movies during long runs) so I do most of my workouts at home or outside.
    I try and get to the gym once or twice a week (I would just pay the drop in fee).
    I like the gym atmosphere, and the machines I don't have at home.
    Some gyms have great classes and if you get your motivation from working out in groups, the gym may be your best bet.
    I like variety so I do both.
    Either way, come up with a plan, schedule your workouts and put them in a calendar and try and do things you enjoy. Working our shouldn't feel like work:)
  • LunaMischief
    LunaMischief Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy both gym and home. I feel like I work more/harder at a gym, as there's more tools available there. But I also have the option of workout videos if I need something quick or just having an off/anti-social day.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I prefer home. My travel time is 1 minute and I have my own personal shower. I'm looking to buy a full cage for safety, as I'm lifting too much to be safely spotted otherwise.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I am extremely introverted so I prefer home. Plus, no commute, I know the equipment I need is available, I can lift in bare feet, get cheered on by my dog (she loves when I lift for some reason) and can blare whatever music I like.
  • vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have a good collection of tools at home (a mini gym in my basement with dumbells/bench/squat rack/treadmill/wall mounted flat screen for P90X3 and for movies during long runs) so I do most of my workouts at home or outside.
    I try and get to the gym once or twice a week (I would just pay the drop in fee).
    I like the gym atmosphere, and the machines I don't have at home.
    Some gyms have great classes and if you get your motivation from working out in groups, the gym may be your best bet.
    I like variety so I do both.
    Either way, come up with a plan, schedule your workouts and put them in a calendar and try and do things you enjoy. Working our shouldn't feel like work:)

I so agree with the last part. Whether you work out at home or gym do a schedule. That's one of many steps towards the right direction.

For my financial situation, working out at home is the only option. I mix it up a lot so I don't get bored. If you decide to do the gym route try to find one that you feel comfortable in and you are actually going to use. Good luck!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym because I tend to be more motivated there. If I work out at home I get more distracted and I'm more likely to stop earlier. I don't even like running near my apartment for that reason. If I go somewhere else I'll go a bit harder because I'm already there.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym, it is close by and I work much harder there with no distractions.
    It is new, well air conditioned, and has a good selection of classes and equipment
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I prefer home for several reason.

1. I am something of a germophobe
    2. I like being outside
    3. The nearest gym is far away
    4. I prefer to workout alone
    5. I get bored frequently with exercise and change my routine
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Gym. I'm a spoiled rotten princess who has everything she could ever need or want at the gym.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Home. I just prefer exercising on my own in general. Plus with two young children it's much easier to squeeze in some exercise around them.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    3 places to work out for me. I use the weight room at work over lunch. If by chance there's a noon meeting (hate those people that schedule those), then, depending on what I need to do I'll either work out at home or head to the commercial gym that my wife and I belong to. I like them all.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I do both, I do cardio at the gym and bodyweight strength training at home. You have to really see what works for you. Since I am easily distracted working out at home for long periods would not work for me.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I prefer home. I hate public gyms. Cutting out travel time helps me, and I can use my home gym whenever I want. I'm lucky enough to have a lot of equipment at home - but I can't imagine having to go to a gym, I would totally skip workout constantly. The only thing I don't do at home is long runs or when I run the stairs at the high school stadium.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I lift weights at the gym because I do not have nor do I have room for the equipment I would need/want.

beyond that, I mostly ride my bike (around 80 miles per week) and cross-train with a 5K or some interval runs once per week.

• whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Both. I have equipment at home, but also try to hit the gym to do the lifts that I don't have the equipment for at home (requiring a cable machine)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Gym, I can't procrastinate or be distracted.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Both. My gym has a far better selection of weight training equipment than I'd ever have room for at home, as well as a pretty decent yoga instructor. But most of my cardio work (bike, run, ski, etc.) is done outside of the gym.