List of foods with highest Protein Calorie Percentage

Options

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Oh my, my INTJ heart is clutching its pearls!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    This list makes me sad. I HATE seafood with a passion. I've tried to like it, but I simply can't stomach it. I wish I liked seafood. It would make hitting protein goals so much easier.

What do you hate about it? Be specific. There is a huge variety of seafood out there from sashimi to white fish to red fish to crustaceans to caviar to mollusks to fresh vs. canned, etc.

I can't stand the taste of shellfish or the really fishy tasting fish.

I can't stand the texture of anything like shrimp or scallops.

I've been able to eat little bits of some of the "less fishy" fish, but I can't eat more than a few bites before I'm done. Certainly not enough to base a whole meal off of.

I've tried quite a number of options over the years. Maybe I'll try something again next time my DH eats something, but usually I end up spitting it out. He has a much wider palate than I do (that's putting it lightly) and me taking a bite or two off his plate has helped me try & introduce some things that I didn't like in the past.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I've been able to eat little bits of some of the "less fishy" fish, but I can't eat more than a few bites before I'm done. Certainly not enough to base a whole meal off of.

Fresh fish should not taste fishy; rather it should taste like the Ocean. If you live inland, a regular supply of fresh fish might be difficult to attain, but not impossible. You could just be shopping at the wrong places.

Texture is entirely a cooking issue. If overcooked, fish turns rubbery, chewy, and/or very dry. If undercooked, it is just nasty. The point is that texture can be corrected with the right cooking technique.

It sounds like you just have inexperience with the ingredient; just as I do with Scotch Whisky. All I taste when I drink that is treated wood, but there are millions of people out there who get the subtle complexities of it. It is entirely a learned/acquired taste thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    This list makes me sad. I HATE seafood with a passion. I've tried to like it, but I simply can't stomach it. I wish I liked seafood. It would make hitting protein goals so much easier.

What do you hate about it? Be specific. There is a huge variety of seafood out there from sashimi to white fish to red fish to crustaceans to caviar to mollusks to fresh vs. canned, etc.

Right, I despise clams and other bivalves, can tolerate crustaceans like shrimp if they are very small pieces in Chinese food, and am very fond of salmon, cooked or raw. I had some yellowtail tuna freshly caught and cooked in Costa Rica that was to die for.

I use a meat thermometer now and discovered I like my salmon in the 120 degrees - 20 degrees less than the recommended internal temperature of 145 degrees for cooked fish.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Fresh fish should not taste fishy; rather it should taste like the Ocean. If you live inland, a regular supply of fresh fish might be difficult to attain, but not impossible. You could just be shopping at the wrong places.

Texture is entirely a cooking issue. If overcooked, fish turns rubbery, chewy, and/or very dry. If undercooked, it is just nasty. The point is that texture can be corrected with the right cooking technique.

It sounds like you just have inexperience with the ingredient; just as I do with Scotch Whisky. All I taste when I drink that is treated wood, but there are millions of people out there who get the subtle complexities of it. It is entirely a learned/acquired taste thing.

It could be that she means strong-tasting fish when she says fishy-tasting. I have the same problem. Enough so that I only like extremely mild fish cooked. Chilean sea bass, 'perfectly' cooked catfish, turbot, cod, something along those lines. Salmon, tuna, swordfish (gag!) all extremely fishy tasting to me when cooked, no matter how fresh. No cooked fish I've ever tasted has ever tasted of the sea in my opinion (and I've tried some that was literally caught a couple of hours before it was served). ETA: some of it I caught myself :smile:

Oddly enough, I love almost all seafood raw. I'll eat almost any seafood as sashimi, even ones I hate when cooked. I like a lot of seafood when cold-smoked. I love oil-cured anchovies.

I do not have SingRunTing's problem with shellfish. That's the type of seafood that tastes of the sea to me. Fish roe as well.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I live in Massachusetts, so its pretty fresh. Most of the time, its on Cape Cod.

I didn't grow up eating seafood (my dad doesn't like it), so I have no clue how to cook it. I've never tried because why would I cook something I don't like?

I've only ever tried it at restaurants that are known for their seafood. So I don't think it's the prep.

I just don't have a taste for it. But, I'll still try it every now and then when we go out somewhere and my DH orders something just to see if my tastebuds change. It's happened before (I used to hate eggs, but now I like them).
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I used to hate coconut, but I felt it was childish to just outright not "like" something so I tried every concievable way to eat it where I could find it palateable.

Then I realized it like it best in Thai-style cuisine. It only took years of trying and failing to find a way to enjoy it, but I finally got there, and I'm developing a taste for it.

Moral of the story is: you can find a way.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have no clue how to cook it. I've never tried because why would I cook something I don't like?

For the knowledge, variety, and not to be a picky eater I suppose. Palates do change. Mine continually does and I'm a chef.
    just to see if my tastebuds change. It's happened before (I used to hate eggs, but now I like them).

This is what I'm talking about. Just because someone hates onions or fish as a child doesn't mean they have to hate them as an adult. Stuff like that is good to overcome. More exposure to the ingredient will help, especially if you keep an open mind and it is prepared correctly.
  • Numberwang22
    Numberwang22 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Take note people - NUTS ARE NOT A GOOD SOURCE OF PROTEIN.

OMG this, confirms everything I thought about about them. I love them in every form but not worth the cals!!!

• kcfkcfkcf
    kcfkcfkcf Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I second a google spreadsheet link request. But mostly I thank you.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

I live in Massachusetts, so its pretty fresh. Most of the time, its on Cape Cod.

I didn't grow up eating seafood (my dad doesn't like it), so I have no clue how to cook it. I've never tried because why would I cook something I don't like?

I've only ever tried it at restaurants that are known for their seafood. So I don't think it's the prep.

I just don't have a taste for it. But, I'll still try it every now and then when we go out somewhere and my DH orders something just to see if my tastebuds change. It's happened before (I used to hate eggs, but now I like them).

I'm with you...my parents are from the Maritimes, so we grew up on fresh fish...lobster, crab, scallops, shrimp, salmon....I can't stand the taste nor the smell of any of them, and you can believe they were prepared by people who know what they're doing around seafood.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I added it to the official Suggest-a-Sticky thread, but I don't think it's being monitored much anymore.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    BTW, this is what our champion food looks like:

89oy3gfr9e85.jpg

If you are familiar with turkish delights, this is what it looks like on the inside, it also feels a bit gelatinous, quite a departure from other cheeses...

Virtually fat free, <zero.1 carbs, lactose free, sour milk fermented... What a crazy lab experiment! :smiley:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Take note people - NUTS ARE NOT A GOOD SOURCE OF PROTEIN. Pizza is better. I swear next time people mention nuts in those threads, I'll mention pizza.

This should be stickied.

And now I need to Google Harzer cheese.

There's no mention of Greek yogurt though?

You should not google Harzer cheese. It's the most vile "food" to come out of Germany.
  • andrikosDE
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Take note people - NUTS ARE NOT A GOOD SOURCE OF PROTEIN. Pizza is better. I swear next time people mention nuts in those threads, I'll mention pizza.

This should be stickied.

You should not google Harzer cheese. It's the most vile "food" to come out of Germany.

Have you ever had it?
    I just had it for lunch and I like it.
    I did mention it's "not for everyone" but so are most cheeses.
    Ask my Indonesian friend who dives into a Durian yet he considers cheese disgusting...
    It's all relative.

PS. I like Durian too, but it's definitely not the "king of fruits" for me.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    What do you do with this list? (Not that pure data isn't interesting. I enjoy Self's nutrition profile information.) I mean, pardon me, I'm not trying to be obnoxious, but I'm not going to switch to buying (hunting?) venison instead of chicken or beef because it has a little more protein and less fat per 100 grams. Is it not common knowledge that meat, dairy, and legumes (combined with rice or corn for completeness) are generally the highest-protein foods? But in any case, I'm glad to see that bacon made the list.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

This should be stickied.

Have you ever had it?
    I just had it for lunch and I like it.
    I did mention it's "not for everyone" but so are most cheeses.
    Ask my Indonesian friend who dives into a Durian yet he considers cheese disgusting...
    It's all relative.

PS. I like Durian too, but it's definitely not the "king of fruits" for me.

My grandparents had it a lot. I was afraid of opening the fridge whenever they had an open one.
  • andrikosDE
    edited September 2015
    Options
    .. Is it not common knowledge that meat, dairy, and legumes (combined with rice or corn for completeness) are generally the highest-protein foods? ...

Aparently it's not.
    If you take a minute to look at the list you'll see.
    If the list has no utility for you since you seem to know all nutrition facts by heart, I'm sure it's useful for others...

Corn for completeness? Completeness of what? Did you take the time to read the "Protein Quality" information?

• andrikosDE
    edited September 2015
    Options

My grandparents had it a lot. I was afraid of opening the fridge whenever they had an open one.

You were a kid back then, no?
    I'll let @sixxpoint take over this point over palette education and development... :wink:
  • andrikosDE
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    This is great!

I'd love to see fiber, too. That's what makes nuts and quinoa and stuff worth it for me: the protein + the fiber. Thanks for this!

Well...
    I have good news and bad news for you.

Good news: I did spend a few hours last night adding fiber info as well as fixing errors etc.

Bad news: Nuts and Quinoa rank at the bottom of the "GRAMS of FIBER per 100Kcal" list... Sorry about that...

I'll be posting the new (much bigger) list later on today.
This discussion has been closed.