Options
    And the shameful bottom... :smiley:

kd8n2l30hxuk.jpg
    9cbxkol7ho3c.jpg
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I can't stand the taste of shellfish or the really fishy tasting fish.

I can't stand the texture of anything like shrimp or scallops.

I've been able to eat little bits of some of the "less fishy" fish, but I can't eat more than a few bites before I'm done. Certainly not enough to base a whole meal off of.

Fresh fish should not taste fishy; rather it should taste like the Ocean. If you live inland, a regular supply of fresh fish might be difficult to attain, but not impossible. You could just be shopping at the wrong places.

Texture is entirely a cooking issue. If overcooked, fish turns rubbery, chewy, and/or very dry. If undercooked, it is just nasty. The point is that texture can be corrected with the right cooking technique.

It sounds like you just have inexperience with the ingredient; just as I do with Scotch Whisky. All I taste when I drink that is treated wood, but there are millions of people out there who get the subtle complexities of it. It is entirely a learned/acquired taste thing.

The flavor of fresh fish depends completely on the source. Freshwater fish, such as walleye, bass, northern pike, pan fish, muskellunge, and freshwater salmon will not taste 'of the ocean' at all. All of these fish have completely different textures based on their diet, and their musculature. Saltwalter fish like cod, swai, flounder, ocean-caught salmon, mackerel, etc, will taste 'of the ocean, and usually only when fresh, not when frozen.
    The flavor of the meat of each kind of fish is completely different; white fish has a different flavor and will be more flaky when cooked properly than the other types, which can be more gamy. The gaminess of the fish can be removed by soaking in salt water, milk or even beer overnight, and this can break down the tougher texture of the fish.

To say that undercooked fish is 'just nasty' shows that you have little to no experience with sushi or sashimi, which is typically raw fish, and is enjoyed by millions, if not billions of people globally.

All of that being said, there are people who just simply do not enjoy the flavor and texture of fish, no matter how it is cooked, just as there are people who do not enjoy the flavor and texture of seafood.
    Not everyone likes every food, no matter now it is cooked. That's reality.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    This list makes me sad. I HATE seafood with a passion. I've tried to like it, but I simply can't stomach it. I wish I liked seafood. It would make hitting protein goals so much easier.

As a little kid I had to eat what was served and I could get Mrs. Paul's fish sticks down if I soaked them in lemon juice so much that there was no fish taste left.

Sorry that your childhood trauma is preventing you from enjoying fish in your adulthood.
    I wonder if (placebo)hypnotism can work to remove food based traumas to people who are susceptible to the placebo effect...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

I've been able to eat little bits of some of the "less fishy" fish, but I can't eat more than a few bites before I'm done. Certainly not enough to base a whole meal off of.

Fresh fish should not taste fishy; rather it should taste like the Ocean. If you live inland, a regular supply of fresh fish might be difficult to attain, but not impossible. You could just be shopping at the wrong places.

Texture is entirely a cooking issue. If overcooked, fish turns rubbery, chewy, and/or very dry. If undercooked, it is just nasty. The point is that texture can be corrected with the right cooking technique.

It sounds like you just have inexperience with the ingredient; just as I do with Scotch Whisky. All I taste when I drink that is treated wood, but there are millions of people out there who get the subtle complexities of it. It is entirely a learned/acquired taste thing.

The flavor of fresh fish depends completely on the source. Freshwater fish, such as walleye, bass, northern pike, pan fish, muskellunge, and freshwater salmon will not taste 'of the ocean' at all. All of these fish have completely different textures based on their diet, and their musculature. Saltwalter fish like cod, swai, flounder, ocean-caught salmon, mackerel, etc, will taste 'of the ocean, and usually only when fresh, not when frozen.
    The flavor of the meat of each kind of fish is completely different; white fish has a different flavor and will be more flaky when cooked properly than the other types, which can be more gamy. The gaminess of the fish can be removed by soaking in salt water, milk or even beer overnight, and this can break down the tougher texture of the fish.

To say that undercooked fish is 'just nasty' shows that you have little to no experience with sushi or sashimi, which is typically raw fish, and is enjoyed by millions, if not billions of people globally.

All of that being said, there are people who just simply do not enjoy the flavor and texture of fish, no matter how it is cooked, just as there are people who do not enjoy the flavor and texture of seafood.

I don't like cooked fish an if I was to say was "just nasty" to me, it would be cooked fish. I love sashimi and sushi though.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

I don't like cooked fish an if I was to say was "just nasty" to me, it would be cooked fish. I love sashimi and sushi though.

Sushi is a favorite of mine. Tuna steaks are as well. And they should be served quite under. Serve one cooked through and it's cooked wrong.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Q: Why do people who hate fish love Sushi?

A: Because their mom didn't spoil it for them...

I know, a very smartass remark but more true than not...
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »

Yes, a sad truth. Too often "fish" has been over cooked, over-processed, and/or buried in goop (sauces, breading, spices, etc) by the time we're introduced to it as children (fish-sticks, shredded canned tuna, etc.). I wonder sometime if some people actually know what their particular "I hate fish" fish tastes like ...
  • mccindy72
    Options

Yes, a sad truth. Too often "fish" has been over cooked, over-processed, and/or buried in goop (sauces, breading, spices, etc) by the time we're introduced to it as children (fish-sticks, shredded canned tuna, etc.). I wonder sometime if some people actually know what their particular "I hate fish" fish tastes like ...

In the part of the country where i live - Wisconsin - the opposite is true. Most people who say they don't like fish and seafood eat the battered and breaded fish all the time. In fact, Friday night fish fry is a staple and you can find one going on in every corner bar and restaurant, with breaded fried shrimp as an option as well. The same people who eat the battered fish (and visit Long John Silver's on a regular basis) are the same people who won't touch a piece of baked fish or any other 'naked' fish or seafood with a ten foot pole. And sushi? Might as well feed it to the cat.
    Any of this fish which is consumed is also heavily sprayed with lemon juice and then thoroughly dunked in tartar sauce, as well.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

In the part of the country where i live - Wisconsin - the opposite is true. Most people who say they don't like fish and seafood eat the battered and breaded fish all the time. In fact, Friday night fish fry is a staple and you can find one going on in every corner bar and restaurant, with breaded fried shrimp as an option as well. The same people who eat the battered fish (and visit Long John Silver's on a regular basis) are the same people who won't touch a piece of baked fish or any other 'naked' fish or seafood with a ten foot pole. And sushi? Might as well feed it to the cat.
    Any of this fish which is consumed is also heavily sprayed with lemon juice and then thoroughly dunked in tartar sauce, as well.

Don't forget the malt vinegar!

And "tastes like the ocean"?? I mean I know I'm an Iowa boy, but I don't think "tastes like the ocean" sounds particularly appetizing...and I say this as someone who DOES like fish.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Fish Fry - yes ma'am -- I've got roots in the UP of MI; I understand the "Friday night fish fry"... I get that lemon and tatar-sauced cod/whitefish is far different than a seared tuna-steak. And malt vinegar, I'm one of those people who ritualistically abuse malt-vinegar on fried potatoes (chips, etc) -- apparently it's genetic!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

The person I was replying to mentioned the word, "Seafood"... as in, from the Sea or the Ocean (not lakes or rivers).

I mentioned that Sushi is an option, but the comment about undercooked or parcooked fish was in regard to fish that had been cooked, but not sufficiently enough. So you get that unenjoyable experience with both the stringy raw and cooked textures in your mouth as you chew. Think of a shrimp that is raw inside but cooked on the outside. That is nasty, and if you got that at a restaurant, you would very likely send it back.

Lastly, I am a chef. A lot of amateur cooks either overcook or undercook fish. There is a fine line there and it's difficult for many people to perfect. That is all I was getting at.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I find it hard to vary protein so this helps lots!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    This list makes me sad. I HATE seafood with a passion. I've tried to like it, but I simply can't stomach it. I wish I liked seafood. It would make hitting protein goals so much easier.

As a little kid I had to eat what was served and I could get Mrs. Paul's fish sticks down if I soaked them in lemon juice so much that there was no fish taste left.

Sorry that your childhood trauma is preventing you from enjoying fish in your adulthood.
    I wonder if (placebo)hypnotism can work to remove food based traumas to people who are susceptible to the placebo effect...

It was not a childhood trauma. It was an adaptation so I could eat something that made me gag. Some things I hated as a child I now love but I could never get over the gag reflex with fish even though I have tried numerous times.

• mccindy72
    Options

The person I was replying to mentioned the word, "Seafood"... as in, from the Sea or the Ocean (not lakes or rivers).

I mentioned that Sushi is an option, but the comment about undercooked or parcooked fish was in regard to fish that had been cooked, but not sufficiently enough. So you get that unenjoyable experience with both the stringy raw and cooked textures in your mouth as you chew. Think of a shrimp that is raw inside but cooked on the outside.

Lastly, I am a chef. I really don't need your negative and misinformed critique based on a lack of reading comprehension. A lot of amateur cooks either overcook or undercook fish. There is a fine line there and it's difficult for many people to perfect. That is all I was getting at.

I am well aware that you are a chef. That doesn't mean that you know everything there is to know about cooking, or don't make mistakes. A lot of chefs also overcook and undercook fish. Tuna, for instance, should be cooked rare. And there are dishes where the marinade alone is what completes the 'cook'. Ceviche, for instance.
    It's not necessary to be rude and make comments about my 'reading comprehension'. I'm quite well-read and read your comments perfectly well; I just chose to correct a few errors.
  • earlnabby
    Options

Lastly, I am a chef. I really don't need your negative and misinformed critique based on a lack of reading comprehension. A lot of amateur cooks either overcook or undercook fish. There is a fine line there and it's difficult for many people to perfect. That is all I was getting at.

A bad cook can ruin good food, no matter what it is. The best chef in the world cannot make fish or seafood palatable for those who cannot stand the taste.

• earlnabby
    Options

A bad cook can ruin good food, no matter what it is. The best chef in the world cannot make fish or seafood palatable for those who cannot stand the taste.

Even adult palates can grow... If you have an open mind.

:)

I have an open mind which is why I kept trying fish for 50 years, even prepared by some world class chefs. I just cannot use it to prevent myself from gagging every time I eat fish. Try having an open mind yourself and just accept the fact that not everyone has the same tastes and there are certain things you cannot overcome.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sure are a lot of people talkin' smack 'bout my mama's cookin'.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Try having an open mind yourself.

Sure. I'll try to have an open mind about other people not having an open mind.

Perhaps it is what andrikosDE suggested... all mental... how some things are in your head and you just can't shake them. Having to prevent yourself from gagging over all seafood on this planet sure sounds more like a mental boundary at play. Maybe hypnotism will help!
This discussion has been closed.