List of foods with highest Protein Calorie Percentage

Options

Replies

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    As an appetiser, here's a list of the top 46 foods on the "GRAMS of FIBER per 100Kcal" list.

ht9dlmrsslkx.jpg

Yes, I'm as blown away by Passion fruit as you are...
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is amazing, you are a hero to create and share this!! Thank you, thank you!!!
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I totally agree with you about the asinine strategy of giving nutritional information per serving size in the US. It drives me crazy! The only advantage it offers is forcing people to practice their arithmetic skills.

Looking forward to the link!

• andrikosDE
    Options
    kimadm4 wrote: »
    This is amazing, you are a hero to create and share this!! Thank you, thank you!!!

You are very welcome. Not a hero, naturally. :) I'm just just a curious mind that likes to share.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    As an appetiser, here's a list of the top 46 foods on the "GRAMS of FIBER per 100Kcal" list.

ht9dlmrsslkx.jpg

Yes, I'm as blown away by Passion fruit as you are...

Really cool!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the work you are putting into this. This is really useful stuff!
  • andrikosDE
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Ok, I had to post this because the results really shocked me.

I added 277 foods to my list and ranked all of them for each category. Then I added the rankings (equal weight) and then sorted by "ranking of rankings".
    Sure, it's not very scientific but it gives you a decent picture of the "wholeness" of the food's nutrition.

These are the highest ranked foods of my list.

h4qn70amj6wd.jpg

PS Keep in mind that the rankings do NOT account for vitamins and mineral nutrition individually. Only protein, carbs, fiber, fat, protein quality and completeness score which accounts for vitamins and minerals indirectly.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Incredible, this should definitely be a sticky!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    is hazer cheese like that quark cheese? never mind see the above posts...I'd try it I like fermented milk.
  • andrikosDE
    edited September 2015
    Options
    is hazer cheese like that quark cheese? never mind see the above posts...I'd try it I like fermented milk.

It's reminiscent of brie if brie was springy and gelatinous instead of creamy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Take note people - NUTS ARE NOT A GOOD SOURCE OF PROTEIN. Pizza is better. I swear next time people mention nuts in those threads, I'll mention pizza.

This should be stickied.

And now I need to Google Harzer cheese.

There's no mention of Greek yogurt though?

You should not google Harzer cheese. It's the most vile "food" to come out of Germany.

Have you ever had it?
    I just had it for lunch and I like it.
    I did mention it's "not for everyone" but so are most cheeses.
    Ask my Indonesian friend who dives into a Durian yet he considers cheese disgusting...
    It's all relative.

PS. I like Durian too, but it's definitely not the "king of fruits" for me.

OOO I just tasted durian for the first time. It was OK at first like a sweet onion, but the onion taste just lingered in my mouth for hours. I'd be hesitant to try it again.

Where does durian fall on your list?

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    .. Is it not common knowledge that meat, dairy, and legumes (combined with rice or corn for completeness) are generally the highest-protein foods? ...

Aparently it's not.
    If you take a minute to look at the list you'll see.
    If the list has no utility for you since you seem to know all nutrition facts by heart, I'm sure it's useful for others...

Corn for completeness? Completeness of what? Did you take the time to read the "Protein Quality" information?

I looked at the list! Its interesting. Not surprising, but interesting. Yes, if its useful, then its useful. My question was out of curiosity. I have no emoticon for that. I did think that it was fairly well-known. But anyway....

Corn for completeness of the protein - complete as in having all 9 essential amino acids. Since you have protein quality and completeness columns, I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question or not. Just as red beans or lentils can be paired with rice to form a complete protein, certain native American beans can be paired with corn for the same purpose - like pintos.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Let's not forget to mention that it's very, very smelly. It has higher amounts of butyric acid (known from such things as vomit and stinky feet) than other cheeses.
    I still remember from chemistry class when we took that rancid stuff, did some chemical reaction to it and suddenly it smelled like bananas.
  • andrikosDE
    Options

Let's not forget to mention that it's very, very smelly. It has higher amounts of butyric acid (known from such things as vomit and stinky feet) than other cheeses.
    I still remember from chemistry class when we took that rancid stuff, did some chemical reaction to it and suddenly it smelled like bananas.

It's really not that bad.
    Keep in mind it's a fresh cheese. It's ripened for a few days and then sold.
    Naturally, the more you keep it in the fridge the funkier it gets. :wink:
    Also, poor cheese storage habits make cheeses unfairly stinky. Free the cheese from plastic! Wrap it in wax paper! :smiley:
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!
    As for the "GRAMS of FIBER per 100Kcal", it would be interesting to see listed also konjac/shirataki noodles.
  • andrikosDE
    Options
    Ok, I'm done.
    I think.
    Probably not.
    For sure not! ;)

Here's the link to the google spreadsheet.
    Let me know if it's functional.
    I did a straight copy and paste from Excel.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12LrMGp8HiWl2FW-odoexKBMxeDTMUhwd4ooT6VoolJk/edit?usp=sharing

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    This is a beautiful thing. :smiley: Thanks for sharing!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    This list makes me sad. I HATE seafood with a passion. I've tried to like it, but I simply can't stomach it. I wish I liked seafood. It would make hitting protein goals so much easier.

I am with you although I do like shellfish (no mussels, clams, etc though). Any kind of fish, no matter how it is prepared, will make me gag. It is definitely the taste plus a major fear of fish bones. I have tried things like tuna steak, salmon. smoked fish, lake fish, whitefish like haddock and cod, etc. etc. etc. As a little kid I had to eat what was served and I could get Mrs. Paul's fish sticks down if I soaked them in lemon juice so much that there was no fish taste left.

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'll have the poached cod in spinach and egg sauce with a side of asparagus, please. :smiley:

Works! I'd appreciate a brief explanation for one of the headings, though. What is P%Cal Rank2?
  • andrikosDE
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    I'll have the poached cod in spinach and egg sauce with a side of asparagus, please. :smiley:

Works! I'd appreciate a brief explanation for one of the headings, though. What is P%Cal Rank2?

P%Cal Rank is the ranking of foods with Protein Kcals / total Kcals as a criterion.

The highest food (Harzer cheese) is ranked 1
    and
    the lowest (sad sad Apple) is ranked last (318 at last count).
This discussion has been closed.