September 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @karllundy edible? Awesome! I'll remember that next time I need fuel! JK! @shanaber Horse apples feel a bit like a softball and sticky..want me to send you one? LOL! They are fun to throw, especially on trail runs, when your frustrated that life is friggen' hard.. :blush:

I suppose I'll continue to munch the wild plums and persimmons and pass on the "apples".
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - How many running groups do you run with? Are they all sponsored?

Kind of hard to explain when you ask it that way. So I will explain it this way. @skippygirlsmom will back me up on all of this.

In the Huntsville area where I live, we have a very huge running community. There is like a race within driving distance somewhere every weekend, sometimes multiple ones. We have an official Huntsville Track Club that sponsors most of those races. Decatur which is about 30-40 minutes from us has something similar too but a bit smaller than Huntsville's. So it just makes our running community that much bigger. You have to pay a small annual fee to be a part of HTC, but they have all the equipment for races, the main organizers for much of the running events that goes on, and they have an elected body (by volunteers) that does some amazing things which I don't even understand completely because I never went to any of their meetings. But I know they have a very good relationship with the local towns in the area and they assist all the race directors. They are also sponsored by the local Fleet Feet store, and the owners and workers are all involved with HTC and the running community. They are also get great sponsorships from the local community. Our biggest races is the Cotton Row Road Race every Memorial Day and sponsored by Mercedez Benz and draws people from all over because of the proze money you get if you beat the course record. We even get Ethiopians to run this. The other big race is the Rocket City marathon held every December. Another huge race that draws people from all over and is even mentioned as one of the top 10 marathons by Runner's World and is mentioned as a top qualifier race for Boston.

We also have a sister organization called We Run Huntsville. WRH is a bit more relaxed. All you have to do to be a member is to like their Facebook page (which currently has 4,729 members). Just think of this thread on steroids and made up of people who all live in just about the same area. On WRH there are regular running groups that are constantly advertising each week. So Monday night, someone will post about a run going on Tuesday morning. There must be like 20 different regular groups that meet each week. The 3 that I do every week (Tues morn Brueggers Bagels, Thurs morning Panera Bread, Sat morning Panera Bread (or sometimes we meet somewhere else cause we get bored very easily) have a core set of people. We call ourselves the Panera Pounders cause we meet at Panera Bread in the morning and usually have breakfast together after our run. Panera doesn't sponsor us, but they should with all the business we give them. LOL

But there are folks from other groups that run with us, and we have folks from my groups that run with other groups. it's just a tangled web. And sometimes the HTC will sponsor a group run. For example, HTC will sponsor official preview runs for the Rocket City Marathon course which should start up in November. They do the same for the Cotton Row and some of the big trail races that goes on over at Monte Sano.

So that is it in a nutshell. Kinda long, but then again, I usually write long messages to explain things. lol

• Stoshew71
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Up early today for a morning jog as it was raining so much last night. It was still completely dark when I went out so had a bit of a shock. Used my garmin FR220 and quite enjoyed the mile updates along the way!

6 miles done, 33 miles in total

@Stoshew71 - thanks for the tip on the butt squeezing whilst running. I have made an effort to do this for the last two runs and I can definitely feel them and my hamstrings working more. It also feels like my quad/knee is pulled outward properly when I run (it usually feels like it is falling inwards when I run, giving a knock-kneed appearance, but im trying really hard to correct things). This was on the leg where I have many knee issues, possibly itbs. feeling a bit achey in the knee so might have a few days off and wait til sunday long run now.

I hope you can work your issues out and glad that my suggestions could help.

snha wrote: »
    Just a shutout for all of you. I think you're all amazing. And, @Stoshew71 you help so much. I follow your posts and advice to others all the time and almost every one of these posts help me. Thanks much.

Thanks @snha (and you're welcome). I missed this one some how.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I've been trying that butt squeezing technique as well, but I had some difficulty last night. I couldn't find a quarter so I opted for two dimes and a nickel. About every mile or so I had to stop to pick up the loose change.
  • AngieFlames
    AngieFlames Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Sept 14 - no run, but 1 hour of kickboxing, love it!
    Sept 15 rest day
    Sept 16 - 2.62 miles
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I keep forgetting to check in :p Here's where I am so far:
    09/04 3.5 mi
    09/05 9.86 mi
    09/10 5.07 mi
    09/12 11.0 mi
    09/14 3.04 mi
    09/16 4.05 mi

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 - That is so great that you have such a large running community there. You would think it would be similar in So CA but it just doesn't seem to be. As I have mentioned before, even the running stores are few and far between. I do think there are more in some regions, like some of the beach communities and for sure in San Diego.

@Elise4270 - Thanks but I think I will pass on the 'apples' even though they sound like great stress relief especially coupled with a run! I do love wild plums. Don't find them here but loved them where I grew up.

@7lenny7 - You know I keep finding change on the street, now I will think twice about picking it up :)

Rest day for me today and I need it - feeling sore from my strength training last night. Too many squats and lunges but I did finally managed to do lat pull downs (more than 1) with 100 lbs! Working my way to be able to do 3 sets of 12, managed to do 2 sets of 5 w/100 and 7 w/70 and the last set... only 3 w/100 but definitely getting stronger and making progress!
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I was trying to picture all our running group squeezing our bums as we run lol☺☺ you can't help but smile at the thought of it! !! Happy running everyone
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @shanaber I concur with everything @stoshew71 said. It's an amazing place to live if you like to run. Even things like cross country meets are like old home week for the runners (like Skip) who see friends from races outside of school.

I'm on a rest day today.

So you know I like to brag on my girl. She PR'd yesterday at the mud run with a 22:00.15 26th of 160, she's ill about the .15 she wanted under 22 so bad. But that time cut 34 seconds off her previous 5K PR and considering she was running through creeks with water up to her thighs I'm thinking Great Job! She came back to the finish shoeless. I told her if one comes off in the creek (cause that Alabama clay will suck their shoes off) to run without and we'll fish it out later. Well she ran the last mile or so with nothing but socks. She said her shoes were getting too heavy because of the water and mud so she pushed them off...ah there's her .15 she lost ha ha! They were somewhere around 2 miles and her and a team mate went to find them. I love these two pictures. Stan Gregg took these.

0wvzw8qj2w7k.jpg
    m9ykwg9f7qua.jpg

• rogue024
    rogue024 Posts: 1,484 Member
    Options
    September goal: 35 miles

9/1 - 3.1 miles
    9/2 - strength day
    9/3 - 2 miles
    9/4 - strength day
    9/5 - 4 miles
    9/6 - hiking (2.5 hours)
    9/7 - 3 miles
    9/8 - unscheduled day off
    9/9 - 2 miles + strength
    9/10 - 2 miles + strength
    9/11 - sdo
    9/12 - 2 miles + strength
    9/13 - 2 miles
    9/14 - 3 miles
    9/15 - sdo
    9/16 - 2 miles

September: 25.1 of 35 miles completed

@7lenny7 - I have never seen such a fruit! And I'll never look at coins the same way again :p
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom love the pics! Such determination and focus!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 - better than 25 pennies I suppose.
    @shanaber - I agree, I'm not picking up any loose change I see!
    @skippygirlsmom - great pictures! Great time and Go Skip!

I didn't have to leave the house at my usual 6:30am today, so I got my long run in. Would have liked it to be 13 miles, but I'm fine with 11. I ran out of time, even with the extra time. I think that will be my last long one until the HM in a few weeks. Got strength training this afternoon ... but will have to focus on just the abs/upper body. Legs/ankles are feeling that run.

9/1 - 5.25 miles
    9/2 - 3.55 miles
    9/3 - strength training + cycling class
    9/4 - rest
    9/5 - 34 mile bike ride
    9/6 - 12.82 mile run.
    9/7 - 36 mile bike ride
    9/8 - rest
    9/9 - 5.06 miles + strength training
    9/10 - cycling class
    9/11 - 6.02 miles + strength training
    9/12 - 34 mile bike ride
    9/13 - 62 mile bike ride
    9/14 - rest day.
    9/15 - 3.3 miles. + cycling class after work.
    9/16 - 11.03 miles + strength training

exercise.png
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    9/16 -- am: 1.12mi - walked Cooper for sis in law
    pm: 2.79mi
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Skip is definitely awesome! :)

45 minutes for me today. My quads were still a bit sore from squats and deadlifts on Monday but I got it done. I have a goal in mind that I would like to meet by January and if I get close enough to it then I am going to reward myself by signing up for a half marathon in June in Estes Park, CO. I really hope I get to my goal!
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @shanaber I concur with everything @stoshew71 said. It's an amazing place to live if you like to run. Even things like cross country meets are like old home week for the runners (like Skip) who see friends from races outside of school.

I'm on a rest day today.

So you know I like to brag on my girl. She PR'd yesterday at the mud run with a 22:00.15 26th of 160, she's ill about the .15 she wanted under 22 so bad. But that time cut 34 seconds off her previous 5K PR and considering she was running through creeks with water up to her thighs I'm thinking Great Job! She came back to the finish shoeless. I told her if one comes off in the creek (cause that Alabama clay will suck their shoes off) to run without and we'll fish it out later. Well she ran the last mile or so with nothing but socks. She said her shoes were getting too heavy because of the water and mud so she pushed them off...ah there's her .15 she lost ha ha! They were somewhere around 2 miles and her and a team mate went to find them. I love these two pictures. Stan Gregg took these.

Congratulations to Skip. And I saw Gregg post the link to the meet in the WRH site.
    You need to buy Skip some minimalist shoes now. :smile:

• Stoshew71
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I've been trying that butt squeezing technique as well, but I had some difficulty last night. I couldn't find a quarter so I opted for two dimes and a nickel. About every mile or so I had to stop to pick up the loose change.

SMH

shanaber wrote: »
    @Stoshew71 - That is so great that you have such a large running community there. You would think it would be similar in So CA but it just doesn't seem to be. As I have mentioned before, even the running stores are few and far between. I do think there are more in some regions, like some of the beach communities and for sure in San Diego.

That's a shame. And you would think. Maybe too much surfing going on.

dawniemate wrote: »
    I was trying to picture all our running group squeezing our bums as we run lol☺☺ you can't help but smile at the thought of it! !! Happy running everyone

Oh dear Lord what did I start? LOL

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @stoshew71 She was complaining her ankles hurt afterwards so though she likes them I'm not sure they would work for her.

I have laugh at the quarter comments, when we were growing up my Grandmother used to tell us girls to keep a nickle between our knees :blush:
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    5 miles tonight with running club. Normally they split near the end and the crazier faster/longer runners go off and do another couple of miles. Tonight was the first night I stayed with the faster/longer runners and it was a bit challenging as they ran about 1.5 mins faster then I'm used to. But I survived!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGy1FRv/exercise.png
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    September goal 100km
    9/1—Rest
    9/2–-5.3 km
    9/3–-6.24 km
    9/4—exploring
    9/5—rest, exhausted from exploring couldn’t get my butt up
    9/6—12.5 km, walked three times, but that’s okay
    9/7—rest
    9/8–5.06 km
    9/9–5.44 km
    9/10–5.15 km
    9/11—rest
    9/12–6.13 km
    9/13—the big 35 birthday…rest after a night of drinking and indian food
    9/14—weights at the gym, start of the k2fit challenge. Traditional rest day for me
    9/15–5.17 km—half way through the month and half way to my goal of 100 km! 51/100 km
    9/16—run tracker said 5.89 km, but I know the run is about 5.3 km
    9/17–5.29 km, finally seem to be back to hitting under 7 min per kilometer

62 km so far...should be right on track for hitting 100 km.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In in it for 50
    Thanks @shanaber , Your DUCTTAPE suggestion seems to be working :) . Still on the same pair of sneakers, with no toeshow, (yet).
    • 02 - 6.2
    • 04 - 4.3 (Fisherman's Wharf..dodging tourists)
    • 07 - 5.1 (pre race workout)
    • 08 - REST DAY
    • 09 - 3.5 (5K JPMCC Corp Challenge (under 7m mil..best ever :) !!)
    • 09 - 4.8 ..but missed the buss so had to run home :/
    • 16 - 6.4 stopped short..for bio break :o (thank god for QuikiMart :p )
    exercise.png