Bread?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love good bread, but yeah, I only have some when I REALLY crave a sandwich, and usually regret it when I'm hungry 2 hours later. I wouldn't buy any at all but my kids like sandwiches.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suspect, just like the various milks, the nutritional profiles of various breads are more alike than different. At the bottom of the calorie scale has to be the Weight Watchers bread, at 90 calories for two slices. That bread is so frail it couldn't support a teaspoon of runny butter.

On the other end of the scale are the denser breads, I'm thinking Ciabatta (131 calories for one slice, 2oz or 28g) or Pumpernickel (Surprise! 65 calories for 26g).
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Noooooooo, don't do a bread thread! It makes me want real butter smoothered thickly on crusty white bread.
  • moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I don't eat as much bread as I used to not because I'm trying to avoid it, but it's higher in calories, and sometimes I'd rather have something else. But bread is delicious (mmm...carbs), so I don't see myself ever cutting it out of my diet.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    If you want bread, and have room in your calorie goal, eat it. Why eat something else if bread is what you really want? As long as you're within your goals, you'll still be successful.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Come to think of it, when I began counting bread as one of my carbs, it became only one of many options. So, less bread. My carb at breakfast was toast; cracked rye. Then crackers at snack, and then scalloped turnips for lunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I suspect, just like the various milks, the nutritional profiles of various breads are more alike than different. At the bottom of the calorie scale has to be the Weight Watchers bread, at 90 calories for two slices. That bread is so frail it couldn't support a teaspoon of runny butter.

On the other end of the scale are the denser breads, I'm thinking Ciabatta (131 calories for one slice, 2oz or 28g) or Pumpernickel (Surprise! 65 calories for 26g).

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see the point of those 40-45 calorie a slice bread.

I've had some bread that was something like 180 calories for 2 ounces, so dense, so delicious.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Okay thanks guys well I like bread I have maybe two slices of whole grain a day sometimes I don't I just wondered what everyone's view on it was :) .... Also love how you all say sammich lol sounds funny but can't compare to us Scots we call a sandwich .. a piece lol :D
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating out I usually avoid bread because I would much rather my carbs come from a half order of french fries. I always get weird looks from servers when I ask for no bun but an order of fries.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Bread and all carbs are great for a burst of energy as long we burn them before the next time we eat.

It is when we store excess carbs as saturated fatty acids in our body and especially as triglycerides in the bloodstream that they have a chance to kill us over time.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Love Bread!!!!!!!! However I don't buy it or keep it in my home. It's just too easy to eat grilled cheese sandwiches and other unhealthy things with it. So I just refuse to have it around. But hey to each is own, if you like it then eat it!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I think bread is easy to pick on because it is a low to middle income staple. The ability to forsake bread for more costly sources of calories, and particularly more costly protein - just take a look at how grains fair in protein to other starches like rice or corn by calories: 21% vs 8% vs 7% - is a sign of a more affluent life style.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Bread and all carbs are great for a burst of energy as long we burn them before the next time we eat.

It is when we store excess carbs as saturated fatty acids in our body and especially as triglycerides in the bloodstream that they have a chance to kill us over time.

How else are we supposed to store excess energy - we are animals!?
  • jgnatca
    Options
    *sigh @GaleHawkins I am sure this has been pointed out to you before. Any surplus from any food we eat is stored as fat.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see the point of those 40-45 calorie a slice bread.

I've had some bread that was something like 180 calories for 2 ounces, so dense, so delicious.

You don't see the point of basically cutting the calories in half by making thinner slices?? Isn't the point obvious?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - you need to stop worrying about good and bad foods and just eat in a deficit. Unless you have a medical condition there is absolutely no reason to avoid bread and/or carbs.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

the survival rate for everyone over time is zero.

bread and carbs are not killing people, lets just stop fear mongering, good lord.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

So the alternative is to just straight eat saturated fats in a ketogenic diet? Heck, at least the carbohydrates have to burn energy being put into storage - de novo lipogensis isn't free.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

947.gif

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Bread from flour makes me want to eat more and more and more. However, I am fine with bread made from sprouted grains, like Ezekial made by Food for Life, or my new favorite, Alvarado St Bakery.

I'm currently loving their Essential Flax Seed Bread, which has only 50 calories per slice.