Bread?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I suspect, just like the various milks, the nutritional profiles of various breads are more alike than different. At the bottom of the calorie scale has to be the Weight Watchers bread, at 90 calories for two slices. That bread is so frail it couldn't support a teaspoon of runny butter.

On the other end of the scale are the denser breads, I'm thinking Ciabatta (131 calories for one slice, 2oz or 28g) or Pumpernickel (Surprise! 65 calories for 26g).

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see the point of those 40-45 calorie a slice bread.

I've had some bread that was something like 180 calories for 2 ounces, so dense, so delicious.

You don't see the point of basically cutting the calories in half by making thinner slices?? Isn't the point obvious?

Ha, I don't see the point of low calorie ice cream but I do see the point of low cal bread.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is the point of low-cal bread.
    aaaaa.png
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - you need to stop worrying about good and bad foods and just eat in a deficit. Unless you have a medical condition there is absolutely no reason to avoid bread and/or carbs.

I'm not worried I was only asking people's opinions on bread :/ I ain't gonna stop eating it
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I avoid bread (except when my doctor says I *must* eat it) like the plague for two reasons...

1. It hurts to digest it. I call it the "bread brick." I'll avoid the TMI, but let's say it doesn't digest well.
    2. It's more carbs and calories than I'm willing to give. I'd rather put those two macros elsewhere.

I miss bread. I bake some amazing breads, but it just doesn't like me anymore. My fave was sunflower seed bread. Yum!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This is the point of low-cal bread.
    aaaaa.png

LOL.

This.

I mean yeah, it's lower calories, but at that point I honestly don't even see the point of having a sandwich. It tastes like nothing and it has the consistency of air (slightly exaggerating) and I personally don't find it satisfying at all.

The 60 calorie slices are much more satisfying to me and definitely worth 20 extra calories (although still nowhere as satisfying as fresh bread). They have the same consistency as normal slices, just 1/3 smaller.
  • phillypretzel
    phillypretzel Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite food group except it does not work well with my metabolism and makes me fat. The way wheat is processed these days, it's loaded with so much crap including sugar which makes it an unhealthy choice. I understand that bread made with sprouted grains such as Ezekiel is good. Like some of the other posts, since I really love the taste, I will eat a piece of rye toast now and again, but focus on filling up on other nutritious foods so I am less likely to cheat.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    There's a populist book out there that blames wheat for our obesity/diabetes woes.
    http://www.wheatbelly.com/
    I don't buy it because the science is poor.

Why would oats and rice be bad too? When I had high blood sugar rice could spike my sugar like nobody's business so I controlled how much I ate and always ate it with protein. But I never cut it from my diet.

Oats are a great source of soluble fiber and there's some studies that show that consumption of oat fiber reduces cholesterol.

Variety is the spice of life.

Oats, rice and bread all have a high glycemic index which means, as you state, they pike your blood sugar level. But adding more complex nutrients like fats or proteins helps mitigate the effect (as you discovered). But that's why bread is considered evil by a lot of nutrition folks. It contains simple carbs that spike your blood sugar. There are two downsides to that: FIrst, obviously, is the high blood sugar itself. The second is the the downside when your body overreacts and knocks the spike down too quickly and blood sugar crashes, creating a craving for.... more carbs which spikes it all over again. It becomes a vicious cycle that keeps your blood sugar level too high too much of the time and creates urges to eat more than you need.

This is discussed any of the low-carb diet books.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    There's a populist book out there that blames wheat for our obesity/diabetes woes.

Why would oats and rice be bad too? When I had high blood sugar rice could spike my sugar like nobody's business so I controlled how much I ate and always ate it with protein. But I never cut it from my diet.

Oats are a great source of soluble fiber and there's some studies that show that consumption of oat fiber reduces cholesterol.

Oats, rice and bread all have a high glycemic index which means, as you state, they pike your blood sugar level. But adding more complex nutrients like fats or proteins helps mitigate the effect (as you discovered). But that's why bread is considered evil by a lot of nutrition folks. It contains simple carbs that spike your blood sugar. There are two downsides to that: FIrst, obviously, is the high blood sugar itself. The second is the the downside when your body overreacts and knocks the spike down too quickly and blood sugar crashes, creating a craving for.... more carbs which spikes it all over again. It becomes a vicious cycle that keeps your blood sugar level too high too much of the time and creates urges to eat more than you need.

Thank you very much Finally I have an answer for the question I posted which is why some people call it devil food. Thanks :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Very unhealthy, too easy to get inbread:

50f262f2a9422523d5ad6483654c4dad.jpg
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Person mentions why she doesn't buy the bread is evil because the science is poor. Person replies bread is evil by providing more poor science.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    So you put a slice of salami on your sammich. Spike solved.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    No. I don't avoid bread. Except Wonder Bread, which is actually play dough. :o
  • s_shortridge
    s_shortridge Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    All commercial bread, except for homemade sourdough which I make, makes me fatigued. It will also trigger inflammation and pain. I finally decided it wasn't worth it. It took me 42 years to start listening to my body. I am a firm believer that some diseases, especially auto immune & pain dieseases can be minimized through diet. --- Also my husband is a diabetic who cured himself once through diet. Metaformin makes you gain weight and for hubs, weight loss makes the diabetes go away. That said. He came off the meds and we figured out what triggers high blood sugar. Breads do. All rices do. Including long grain browns and basmatis. Natural fruit & dairy sugars do not. So guess what? We gave up things that spike his sugar. It is not worth it. To stay off the meds we just eat right. (For the most part). To minimize my pain flare ups, I just eat right. Lots of veggies. Low sugar, low grains. Which includes bread. ---- homemade sourdough is different though. The natural yeast in the starter eats the gluten & sugars during the proof (rise). It is those glutens and sugars that dont get eaten with commercial yeast in commercial breads. Cool eh? --- So to each his or her own on breads. When ya get old it isnt a matter of calories in bread. Its a matter of how you feel. Sometimes we ignore how we feel and just keep eating whatever we want and then take a pill to stop the depression. The pain. The high blood pressure. The blood sugar spikes. Our family doesnt want to go that route.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    When I'm eating out I usually avoid bread because I would much rather my carbs come from a half order of french fries. I always get weird looks from servers when I ask for no bun but an order of fries.

Makes total sense to me! I usually eat ground beef without a bun because I do only one starch course and I want my roasted potatoes.

With Indian food I'll minimize my rice to have naan, though -- it's a splurge anyway, and purists might be horrified, but naan is worth the calories much more than even the best rice.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. That said, it is not a major source of my calories...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I suspect, just like the various milks, the nutritional profiles of various breads are more alike than different. At the bottom of the calorie scale has to be the Weight Watchers bread, at 90 calories for two slices. That bread is so frail it couldn't support a teaspoon of runny butter.

On the other end of the scale are the denser breads, I'm thinking Ciabatta (131 calories for one slice, 2oz or 28g) or Pumpernickel (Surprise! 65 calories for 26g).

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't see the point of those 40-45 calorie a slice bread.

I've had some bread that was something like 180 calories for 2 ounces, so dense, so delicious.

You don't see the point of basically cutting the calories in half by making thinner slices?? Isn't the point obvious?

Ha, I don't see the point of low calorie ice cream but I do see the point of low cal bread.

I don't -- almost anything I'd do with low cal bread would be better without the bread.

But taste differences are just that, of course, so I'm not claiming I'm right as to anything but my own preferences.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

Thank you very much Finally I have an answer for the question I posted which is why some people call it devil food. Thanks :)

But none of that is actually true.
  • eyeamAnne
    eyeamAnne Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat bread. I regularly make wheat bread for my family. I don't think we have to cut out the foods we love to lose weight and become healthier -- we just have to have them in moderation. (Unless you can't control yourself? I cut out soda because it is too tempting. If I had as hard of a time with bread as I do soda, and if it was as bad for me, then perhaps I would make different choices).

I'm mindful of the amount of sugar I consume in a day, and I don't have any sensitivities to gluten or anything else in bread. So I continue to eat it --- in moderation.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I definitely eat less bread than I did before, but that is true of everything I eat now.
    I have been on MFP for almost 3-1/2 years and two years on maintenance in November. Moderation in all things is working for me.
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a carb addict, but so far I've managed to reduce my intake of bread and pasta by substituting lettuce for bread in sandwiches and making veggie noodles. I still allow myself to eat these things, but usually at breakfast/lunch in controlled quantities. Depriving yourself 100% may not be sustainable in long term. I try to eat in a way that is as natural within my lifestyle. Portion control and eating whole foods has helped a lot in this time. Focus is on eating healthy not cutting every calorie.