Bread?

Options

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I love good bread, but yeah, I only have some when I REALLY crave a sandwich, and usually regret it when I'm hungry 2 hours later. I wouldn't buy any at all but my kids like sandwiches.

Well, that's the problem. You're making a sandwich when you should be making a sammich

Sandwich
    ss_R117012.jpg

Sammich
    DagwoodSandwich.jpg

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    No. I love a good sandwich. I have a sandwich for breakfast and often a sandiwch for lunch. Bread is delicious. When I eat at restaurants, like yesterday, I'll stick to 1 slice. But Friday I had half the basket with hummus. So good!
  • holybell
    holybell Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I personally don't really avoid it. I just don't like eating it. Especially when it's with a food that will probably leave some left over like hot dog or sandwiches. I can't stand eating the leftover bread in those situations, but I can't waste it.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    does anyone on here avoid bread like the plague?

No, I eat bread every chance I get.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    *sigh @GaleHawkins I am sure this has been pointed out to you before. Any surplus from any food we eat is stored as fat.

And don't carbs first get stored as glycogen?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh, YEAH. Gotta love that glycogen.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There's a populist book out there that blames wheat for our obesity/diabetes woes.
    http://www.wheatbelly.com/
    I don't buy it because the science is poor.

Why would oats and rice be bad too? When I had high blood sugar rice could spike my sugar like nobody's business so I controlled how much I ate and always ate it with protein. But I never cut it from my diet.

Oats are a great source of soluble fiber and there's some studies that show that consumption of oat fiber reduces cholesterol.

Variety is the spice of life.

Oats, rice and bread all have a high glycemic index which means, as you state, they pike your blood sugar level. But adding more complex nutrients like fats or proteins helps mitigate the effect (as you discovered). But that's why bread is considered evil by a lot of nutrition folks. It contains simple carbs that spike your blood sugar. There are two downsides to that: FIrst, obviously, is the high blood sugar itself. The second is the the downside when your body overreacts and knocks the spike down too quickly and blood sugar crashes, creating a craving for.... more carbs which spikes it all over again. It becomes a vicious cycle that keeps your blood sugar level too high too much of the time and creates urges to eat more than you need.

This is discussed any of the low-carb diet books.
    Flour is mostly starch, starch is a complex carb.
    Simple sugars are glucose and fructose, most commonly found in... fruit. Together with fiber as a complex carb, but the source of the highest amounts of simple sugars in our diet is fruit. Even added table sugar is a step more complex.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    OP I eat bread and rice and oatmeal and very cheap granola bars every single glorious day.. now I'm going to give you the instruction/suggestion to look slightly to the left and see my progress profile picture.

<3 bread always and forever!

#ThankYouGodForTheModerationGoddesses o:)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I skip it. I prefer meat, veg, and a dessert at the end of the day. Bread doesn't fit well into my goals but I think it's great if you like it and it does.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I suspect, just like the various milks, the nutritional profiles of various breads are more alike than different. At the bottom of the calorie scale has to be the Weight Watchers bread, at 90 calories for two slices. That bread is so frail it couldn't support a teaspoon of runny butter.

On the other end of the scale are the denser breads, I'm thinking Ciabatta (131 calories for one slice, 2oz or 28g) or Pumpernickel (Surprise! 65 calories for 26g).

LOL I love pumpernickel! But my go to bread is the tiny tiny hovis wholemeal.
    Two slices for 110 calories and it kills the cravings.

I also like Tesco's sandwiches with brown bread. I'm not a huge sandwich person, but that AND subways oat and honey bread will do the trick when I find myself craving.

Otherwise - I bought some bread 2 days ago and only had about 4 slices!

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Bread and all carbs are great for a burst of energy as long we burn them before the next time we eat.

It is when we store excess carbs as saturated fatty acids in our body and especially as triglycerides in the bloodstream that they have a chance to kill us over time.

That only happens when any food, and not just carbs,are eaten in a calorie excess. As long as we are eating in a calorie deficit, or meeting calorie goals, it's not a problem.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Bread and all carbs are great for a burst of energy as long we burn them before the next time we eat.

It is when we store excess carbs as saturated fatty acids in our body and especially as triglycerides in the bloodstream that they have a chance to kill us over time.
    What?!?!?!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I like bread. Before December, I ate a lot of it; I have greatly reduced the amount I eat but have not cut it out. For me, one of the most wonderful smells in the world is when you first enter a bakery!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    *sigh @GaleHawkins I am sure this has been pointed out to you before. Any surplus from any food we eat is stored as fat.

@stevencloser you seem to be correct. It is only when we eat more carbs than our glycogen stores can hold that the liver converts carbs to triglycerides. I find the below articles helpful and hope you and others do as well. The sunrise story helped me a lot.

healthyeating.sfgate.com/conversion-carbohydrates-triglycerides-2218.html

"When your body has more glucose than it needs for energy and has reached its storage capacity for glycogen, the increased insulin prompts the liver to convert glucose into triglycerides, which are then transported to fat cells. Between meals, your hormones release triglycerides for energy. "

drhyman.com/blog/2013/11/26/fat-make-fat/

"If you’re feeling completely confused about whether you should cut fat from your diet, you are not alone. But here’s the bottom line: fat does not make you fat or sick.........

So, what’s the conclusion here? Eating a diet with good quality fat and protein prevents and even reverses diabetes and pre-diabetes (diabesity). And eating sugar and refined carbs cause diabesity........."
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

@stevencloser you seem to be correct. It is only when we eat more carbs than our glycogen stores can hold that the liver converts carbs to triglycerides. I find the below articles helpful and hope you and others do as well. The sunrise story helped me a lot.

healthyeating.sfgate.com/conversion-carbohydrates-triglycerides-2218.html

"When your body has more glucose than it needs for energy and has reached its storage capacity for glycogen, the increased insulin prompts the liver to convert glucose into triglycerides, which are then transported to fat cells. Between meals, your hormones release triglycerides for energy. "

drhyman.com/blog/2013/11/26/fat-make-fat/

"If you’re feeling completely confused about whether you should cut fat from your diet, you are not alone. But here’s the bottom line: fat does not make you fat or sick.........

So, what’s the conclusion here? Eating a diet with good quality fat and protein prevents and even reverses diabetes and pre-diabetes (diabesity). And eating sugar and refined carbs cause diabesity........."
    Pay attention to the bolded. This is why it's all a mute point when one is in a caloric deficit...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »
    There's a populist book out there that blames wheat for our obesity/diabetes woes.
    http://www.wheatbelly.com/
    I don't buy it because the science is poor.

Why would oats and rice be bad too? When I had high blood sugar rice could spike my sugar like nobody's business so I controlled how much I ate and always ate it with protein. But I never cut it from my diet.

Oats are a great source of soluble fiber and there's some studies that show that consumption of oat fiber reduces cholesterol.

Variety is the spice of life.

Oats, rice and bread all have a high glycemic index which means, as you state, they pike your blood sugar level. But adding more complex nutrients like fats or proteins helps mitigate the effect (as you discovered). But that's why bread is considered evil by a lot of nutrition folks. It contains simple carbs that spike your blood sugar. There are two downsides to that: FIrst, obviously, is the high blood sugar itself. The second is the the downside when your body overreacts and knocks the spike down too quickly and blood sugar crashes, creating a craving for.... more carbs which spikes it all over again. It becomes a vicious cycle that keeps your blood sugar level too high too much of the time and creates urges to eat more than you need.

This is discussed any of the low-carb diet books.

Thank you very much Finally I have an answer for the question I posted which is why some people call it devil food. Thanks :)

yea, that is the wrong answer.

protein spikes your insulin levels too and I don't see anyone saying to avoid that…

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Wytcher9 wrote: »
    I am a carb addict, but so far I've managed to reduce my intake of bread and pasta by substituting lettuce for bread in sandwiches and making veggie noodles. I still allow myself to eat these things, but usually at breakfast/lunch in controlled quantities. Depriving yourself 100% may not be sustainable in long term. I try to eat in a way that is as natural within my lifestyle. Portion control and eating whole foods has helped a lot in this time. Focus is on eating healthy not cutting every calorie.

sorry, but you are not a carb addict.

so your cured your carb addiction with more carbs?

If I told you I cured my crack coccaine addiction with crack cocaine you would think I was nuts….
  • Cynthiamr2015
    Cynthiamr2015 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I eat healthy life bread, it is 35 calories a slice....mmmmmmmmmmmmm I do like homemade bread it is the best! :smiley:
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite food group except it does not work well with my metabolism and makes me fat. The way wheat is processed these days, it's loaded with so much crap including sugar which makes it an unhealthy choice. I understand that bread made with sprouted grains such as Ezekiel is good. Like some of the other posts, since I really love the taste, I will eat a piece of rye toast now and again, but focus on filling up on other nutritious foods so I am less likely to cheat.

Sorry, but you're not a special snowflake. Weight loss and weight gain comes down to calories. You could literally eat only bread, in a calorie deficit, and still lose weight. It wouldn't be a good idea because you'd be lacking proper nutrition (not enough protein, vitamins etc) but you'd lose weight.
    Also, sugar isn't bad unless you have a medical condition like diabetes.
  • sannaf36
    sannaf36 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As long as you reach for the healthy, whole grain bread without fillers and all the other crap big companies put in it to cut the costs and keep it on the shelves longer, you're fine. Bread consists of complex carbohydrates that take longer to digest and keep you satieted longer. Great to stop the hunger quicker and for a longer amount of time. Good for lunch.