Thigh Gap ?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    To those that claim thigh gap is genetic, please post a picture of a fitness model or other with a low BF level that does not have a thigh gap? I would like to see. Even big doofy looking male BB have thigh gaps and monster quads. If you can grab a wad of fat in your thigh region, it can be dieted away if you so choose. I agree that large thigh gaps like the disturbing pictures posted so far are genetic, but I think the OP was looking for something more normal.

I'm hesitant to post any fitness models for fear of the body shaming that will no doubt commence. But here is one:

LoloJones.png

Googling "fitness model" turned out about half the models who have thigh gaps and half who don't seem to, although it's hard to tell for sure since they generally are not posed from straight on with their feet together.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    To those that claim thigh gap is genetic, please post a picture of a fitness model or other with a low BF level that does not have a thigh gap? I would like to see. Even big doofy looking male BB have thigh gaps and monster quads. If you can grab a wad of fat in your thigh region, it can be dieted away if you so choose. I agree that large thigh gaps like the disturbing pictures posted so far are genetic, but I think the OP was looking for something more normal.

Aline-Barreto.jpg

Very low BF%, lots of muscle, no thigh gap. Even if her quads weren't that huge (and I don't mean huge in a bad way. she's got KILLER muscles!), she clearly wouldn't have one.

tumblr_maryv7I4qM1r3jcijo1_500.jpg
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Like Angel said I am reluctant to post pics, especially of myself since it hasn't gone well before and I am just not in a place to be criticized right now. I was sub 20% bodyfat for a Figure competition - no thigh gap. My trainer and another friend - who have both won overall in the figure category here (much better than I was) both had no thigh gap. My trainer and I joked about when we "had two legs", ie - standing normally and having a gap.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Like Angel said I am reluctant to post pics, especially of myself since it hasn't gone well before and I am just not in a place to be criticized right now. I was sub 20% bodyfat for a Figure competition - no thigh gap. My trainer and another friend - who have both won overall in the figure category here (much better than I was) both had no thigh gap. My trainer and I joked about when we "had two legs", ie - standing normally and having a gap.

Don't feed the troll. This isn't a hard question for him to answer for himself with a single google search.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    well do you know what I'm going to show you that if I do have one I'll get it you've all motivated me to prove you wrong to see if I can get one Thanks Guys :D

You also can't jump off a tall building and survive. You gonna try to prove us wrong with that one too?
    Well technically with the right equipment, you can....

So that's actually a pretty good analogy. :laugh:

Gar. Okay, you got me. You can't jump off a tall building, head first, without any outside aids and survive. Better? :wink:
  • crista_b
    Options
    well do you know what I'm going to show you that if I do have one I'll get it you've all motivated me to prove you wrong to see if I can get one Thanks Guys :D

You also can't jump off a tall building and survive. You gonna try to prove us wrong with that one too?
    Well technically with the right equipment, you can....

So that's actually a pretty good analogy. :laugh:

Gar. Okay, you got me. You can't jump off a tall building, head first, without any outside aids and survive. Better? :wink:
    Haha. Yes. Just like without the right genetics or an unhealthy method, you can't get a thigh gap. :wink:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Don't feed the troll. This isn't a hard question for him to answer for himself with a single google search.

You're right, as usual.

tumblr_lvkjwtRf1r1qiol6o_zps51d58f19.gif
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    While genetics and bone structure might contribute SOMETHING towards having thigh gap, or not, they're definitely not everything. Wide hips do not always mean you'll have thigh gap, just like narrow hips don't always mean you won't. I, personally, have very narrow hips, but I also have thigh gap. My sister, on the other hand, has wider hips and used to have a thigh gap, but does not anymore. My mom has average hips and does not have thigh gap. As for the pictures of the fitness model with the huge thighs... that just doesn't look very proportionate to the rest of her body and it appears as though she is working TOWARDS large thighs, whereas the OP is clearly not.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I see this thigh gap thing a lot and it always reminds me of this conversation I had with my mom back when I was a teenager. Pretty sure the thigh gap thing wasn't "in" then yet, but who knows, maybe I was out of the loop. She said that she hated having a thigh gap when she was a teenager because guys would tease her and say it was a sign she wasn't a virgin anymore. I guess it looks too much like you spread your legs a lot? Anyways, it's funny to see just how much the times change and how these fads and rumors come and go. Don't take this fashion thing too seriously.

As for chub rub or any other associated problems, having more leg muscle will help with that, or wearing appropriate clothing. You can always work with what you got, so it shouldn't be a big stressor.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

You're right, as usual.

tumblr_lvkjwtRf1r1qiol6o_zps51d58f19.gif

That gif gets me every time! I love Doug.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    While genetics and bone structure might contribute SOMETHING towards having thigh gap, or not, they're definitely not everything. Wide hips do not always mean you'll have thigh gap, just like narrow hips don't always mean you won't. I, personally, have very narrow hips, but I also have thigh gap. My sister, on the other hand, has wider hips and used to have a thigh gap, but does not anymore. My mom has average hips and does not have thigh gap. As for the pictures of the fitness model with the huge thighs... that just doesn't look very proportionate to the rest of her body and it appears as though she is working TOWARDS large thighs, whereas the OP is clearly not.

I don't think the girl I posted has large thighs though.

It's partly how wide your hips are but the other genetic component is the angle from the top of the femur at the hip to the knee. And yes, muscle mass and body fat percentage will also play a part.
  • crista_b
    Options
    Only one of the 3 pics posted had a girl with big thighs from muscle. While I agree that she's clearly working toward large quads, it's clear from her build that she wouldn't have the gap if they were average sized muscles. The other pics posted were not overly large thighs/muscles, and those women don't have the gap.

Plus the person who was talking about how it's not genetic said to find a pic of someone with a low BF%. That's what those pics are; all those women clearly have a low BF%.

Furthermore, it's definitely not ALL genetics, but don't try to discount the effect that genetics have on the situation. It's clearly not the only deciding factor if someone has a thigh gap or not, but it does play a major role.
  • Kassidi21
    Kassidi21 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    eDAyG8M.jpg

This is my favorite picture ever =P was my background for a long time haha xD
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Regarding wideset hips... I have what I would consider wide hips, (maybe they're the wrong wide? I don't know) and I have never had a thigh gap because my thighs are so thick proportionally. I'm 5'4" and even when I was about 116 for a brief while I didn't have the gap. Eh, what can ya do? I still think I look pretty good.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Googling "fitness model" turned out about half the models who have thigh gaps and half who don't seem to, although it's hard to tell for sure since they generally are not posed from straight on with their feet together.

Not a troll.

Thanks. I can admit I was mistaken. My google search was short lived before asking. I do see flooring between the female BB legs, but very little. I pair of jeans would rub.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Not a troll.

Thanks. I can admit I was mistaken. My google search was short lived before asking. I do see flooring between the female BB legs, but very little. I pair of jeans would rub.

Well I do appreciate a poster who can admit to being mistaken. :flowerforyou:
  • crista_b
    Options

Not a troll.

Well I do appreciate a poster who can admit to being mistaken. :flowerforyou:
    I was about to say the same thing. Good on ya, Brad! :flowerforyou:
  • cmcbee90
    cmcbee90 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Here's how you get it - lean forward. :tongue:

tumblr_mm2wxj90QX1r00swto1_400.gif

HAHAHAHA!!!
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I really don't get why this is important? Someone's going to have to explain this to me.

Yeah, I don't get it either.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I only notice thigh gaps on women when they are clearly ill. I'm sure I have passed by plenty of healthy looking women with natural thigh gaps but two girls who bowled on my league last year had crazy thigh gaps. Oddly enough, both missed a ton of bowling due to illness, had very thin hair that was falling out, and bones visible that NO person should ever see, It was extremely heartbreaking, both were gorgeous girls.