Getting Frustrated......again

Replies

• cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    suzeexoxo wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Do you weigh your food, measure your creamer etc? If not, that's probably your problem... you're eating too much.

Also there is no way you're burning 1100 calories from exercise, unless you're working out intensively for 2+ hours. If your fitbit is linked to MFP, your MFP activity level should be set at sedentary and you shouldn't log your jogging calories, or you're eating them twice.

I measure my food, I have a foid scale. I'm active but my MFP is set to Sedentary. I do move alot throughout the day and I walk for about 1/2 hr - 1 hr. Yesterday's burn was due to me dancing for quite some time at a party and doing some deep cleaning during the day at my house.

I wouldn't consider dancing or housework to be exercise calories if it were me. Calories eaten back are those burnt from having your heart rate elevated considerably for a given length of time. Unless you were sweating/huffing and puffing while cleaning or at the party, I wouldn't be counting it regardless of what Fitbit says.

My guess as to what's going on is overestimating your calories burnt which is causing you to eat a bit too much back. Maybe try sticking with your calorie goal and not eating anything back? See what that does for a bit? If you start losing then you're on the right track with troubleshooting this.

• suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    The days you don't have logged, what's going on there?

It was 2 days of last weekend I was out of town at a celebration and it was difficult to log what I ate but I usually do.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Is your FitBit set to lose weight? It looks to me like the FitBit is adjusting your daily calorie goal up to your TDEE (maintenance level). If you are eating back everything that's why you aren't losing. Although going strictly off the comments (I have looked more that a few days back in your diary), you aren't logging accurately every single day.

My thoughts: tighten up the logging, and review your FitBit settings.
  • suzeexoxo
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Do you weigh your food, measure your creamer etc? If not, that's probably your problem... you're eating too much.

Also there is no way you're burning 1100 calories from exercise, unless you're working out intensively for 2+ hours. If your fitbit is linked to MFP, your MFP activity level should be set at sedentary and you shouldn't log your jogging calories, or you're eating them twice.

I measure my food, I have a foid scale. I'm active but my MFP is set to Sedentary. I do move alot throughout the day and I walk for about 1/2 hr - 1 hr. Yesterday's burn was due to me dancing for quite some time at a party and doing some deep cleaning during the day at my house.

I wouldn't consider dancing or housework to be exercise calories if it were me. Calories eaten back are those burnt from having your heart rate elevated considerably for a given length of time. Unless you were sweating/huffing and puffing while cleaning or at the party, I wouldn't be counting it regardless of what Fitbit says.

My guess as to what's going on is overestimating your calories burnt which is causing you to eat a bit too much back. Maybe try sticking with your calorie goal and not eating anything back? See what that does for a bit? If you start losing then you're on the right track with troubleshooting this.

True. Thanks.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    You have less than 25 pounds to lose, so setting high loss goals is unrealistic. This is also where you need to tighten up your logging. Set your deficit for 1/2pound per week loss.

Use your food scale for all solid/semi solid foods, measure all liquids. Log everything you consume. Ensure you are using accurate database items. (1 serving of chocolate chip pancakes is not in any way accurate).

Once you get your logging in line, and you are truly eating at a deficit, the results will come.
  • suzeexoxo
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Is your FitBit set to lose weight? It looks to me like the FitBit is adjusting your daily calorie goal up to your TDEE (maintenance level). If you are eating back everything that's why you aren't losing. Although going strictly off the comments (I have looked more that a few days back in your diary), you aren't logging accurately every single day.

My thoughts: tighten up the logging, and
    your FitBit

Question, why do u say Im not logging accurately?
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,650 Member
    You have less than 25 pounds to lose, so setting high loss goals is unrealistic. This is also where you need to tighten up your logging. Set your deficit for 1/2pound per week loss.

Use your food scale for all solid/semi solid foods, measure all liquids. Log everything you consume. Ensure you are using accurate database items. (1 serving of chocolate chip pancakes is not in any way accurate).

Once you get your logging in line, and you are truly eating at a deficit, the results will come.

Could be if she used the recipe builder.

• suzeexoxo

The chocolate chip pancakes are made by me and I entered the ingridients in the mfp recipe log and calculated 1 pancake as a serving. How is it not accurate?
  • suzeexoxo

Once you get your logging in line, and you are truly eating at a deficit, the results will

As for the rest of your advice it makes sense.
  • suzeexoxo
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

Could be if she used the recipe builder.

Yes you are right! I use the recipe builder often.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited September 2015

your FitBit

I was basing that strictly on the comments above, days that have no entries, 1 serving of chocolate chip pancakes... Some of my entries say one serving, but I have weighed them out and compared it to the package. It's not uncommon to see 1.15 servings in my diary to make the appropriate weight of the food, that changes the calorie intake. Particularly on calorie dense foods. Other items, such as recipes that you have entered yourself will be one serving. I don't know which situation applies for you.

Does anyone have the link for the guide to calorie counting thread?

Edited: to fix the quotes
  • vivmom2014
    I'm curious why you slashed your calories from 2300 down to 1350.

You don't have that much to lose - so are you set at .5 lb/week? Surely MFP gives you more than 1350 calories per day?
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member

The chocolate chip pancakes are made by me and I entered the ingridients in the mfp recipe log and calculated 1 pancake as a serving. How is it not accurate?

It appeared as a generic entry. Items listed as "piece", "serving", "portion" etc tend to be grossly incorrect. Weighing portions in grams (even the ones you make yourself) are the most accurate method of tracking.
    Good luck :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Im sure that theyve all said it but its 100% deficit so if you arent losing quickly enough its because you are eating more than you think, burning less, arent being patient or have your calorie target set incorrectly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/vismal/view/calorie-counting-101-661489
  • suzeexoxo

You don't have that much to lose - so are you set at .5 lb/week? Surely MFP gives you more than 1350 calories per day?

I put my deficit at 11/2 lb per week but I'm not even losing 1/2.
  • suzeexoxo

It appeared as a generic entry. Items listed as "piece", "serving", "portion" etc tend to be grossly incorrect. Weighing portions in grams (even the ones you make yourself) are the most accurate method of tracking.
    Good luck :)

Oh I see lol. Yeah I measure in grams all solids and use the recipe builder alot.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    How much do ylou have to lose by your ticker its about 18? You should be aiming to lose.5-1lb a week. 1.5 is a bit ambitious imo. Just accept you arent at the deficit you think you are. identify why.
  • suzeexoxo

your FitBit

I was basing that strictly on the comments above, days that have no entries, 1 serving of chocolate chip pancakes... Some of my entries say one serving, but I have weighed them out and compared it to the package. It's not uncommon to see 1.15 servings in my diary to make the appropriate weight of the food, that changes the calorie intake. Particularly on calorie dense foods. Other items, such as recipes that you have entered yourself will be one serving. I don't know which situation applies for you.

Does anyone have the link for the guide to calorie counting thread?

Edited: to fix the quotes

Oh ok. Well I do use the recipe builder alot, I do weigh solids in grams. I also log daily the only days I didn't log was last weekend due to me being out of town in a celebration.
  • vivmom2014

I put my deficit at 11/2 lb per week but I'm not even losing 1/2.

I think that may be too aggressive. Set your stats to lose .5 lb/week. I know, I know - it's slow. But you will be given more calories to work with. Which makes things a whole lot more uplifting and you'll be going in the right direction. At least try it for several weeks and see what you think.

• suzeexoxo
    999tigger wrote: »
    Im sure that theyve all said it but its 100% deficit so if you arent losing quickly enough its because you are eating more than you think, burning less, arent being patient or have your calorie target set incorrectly.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/vismal/view/calorie-counting-101-661489

Thank you.