Getting Frustrated......again

Replies

• suzeexoxo
    suzeexoxo Posts: 170 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    How much do ylou have to lose by your ticker its about 18? You should be aiming to lose.5-1lb a week. 1.5 is a bit ambitious imo. Just accept you arent at the deficit you think you are. identify why.

Yeah makes sense. I will adjust my deficit to 1/2 lb and see how that works. What about the calories I burn. Do I just ignore them?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited September 2015
    Many of your entries do look inaccurate to me, but I have similar things in my own diary that are indeed right (ie: I've logged a solid as the 2 TBSP serving, but I've measured out the grams and just couldn't be bothered to find the grams entry). Do you weigh semi-solids, like peanut butter, too?

I did notice that you eat out/eat fast food at least a few days a week. It may be worth cutting back on that since the calorie counts are approximations based on averages.

My recommendation would be to try for 2-4 weeks to eat as many of your meals prepared at home, making sure you log everything in grams, and see if that helps.

ETA:

For your Fitbit - does it have the right info about you? I get around 500 calories, total, for my 10k steps. I start off with a negative adjustment of ~80, which ends up as +400 if I move enough. How many steps are you getting and are you logging exercise in Fitbit or MFP?

~Lyssa
  • suzeexoxo
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    suzeexoxo wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I'm curious why you slashed your calories from 2300 down to 1350.

You don't have that much to lose - so are you set at .5 lb/week? Surely MFP gives you more than 1350 calories per day?

I put my deficit at 11/2 lb per week but I'm not even losing 1/2.

I think that may be too aggressive. Set your stats to lose .5 lb/week. I know, I know - it's slow. But you will be given more calories to work with. Which makes things a whole lot more uplifting and you'll be going in the right direction. At least try it for several weeks and see what you think.

Yeah I will try it. It's just confusing for me because I synced my fitbit to mfp and I see the exercise calories burned and I always question weather I eat them or ignore them.
  • suzeexoxo
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    Many of your entries do look inaccurate to me, but I have similar things in my own diary that are indeed right (ie: I've logged a solid as the 2 TBSP serving, but I've measured out the grams and just couldn't be bothered to find the grams entry). Do you weigh semi-solids, like peanut butter, too?

I did notice that you eat out/eat fast food at least a few days a week. It may be worth cutting back on that since the calorie counts are approximations based on averages.

My recommendation would be to try for 2-4 weeks to eat as many of your meals prepared at home, making sure you log everything in grams, and see if that helps.

ETA:

For your Fitbit - does it have the right info about you? I get around 500 calories, total, for my 10k steps. I start off with a negative adjustment of ~80, which ends up as +400 if I move enough. How many steps are you getting and are you logging exercise in Fitbit or MFP?

~Lyssa

Yeah your right. Eating out needs to be minimized. I usually can do anywhere from 10k steps to 15k (ive got 20k on some days when I've walked for lunch break and jogged in the evening). I dont log any exercise on mfp since fitbit tracks all my moves and syncs them. Fitbit has all my stats. But what do u mean by starting of w a negative? Im confused about that part.
  • birdmoma
    birdmoma Posts: 2 Member
    Something is off on your kcal burn. To burn 2300 kcal per day is alot. Even with walking 14,000 steps per day (Fitbit), I don't come close to 700 kcal. You would have to be doing some massively aggressive exercise and if you were really burning that much per day + eating the kcal you say you are - you should be very fit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    How much do ylou have to lose by your ticker its about 18? You should be aiming to lose.5-1lb a week. 1.5 is a bit ambitious imo. Just accept you arent at the deficit you think you are. identify why.

Yeah makes sense. I will adjust my deficit to 1/2 lb and see how that works. What about the calories I burn. Do I just ignore them?

I cant comment for fit bit but check you have it set up correctly with other users. The standard start point is to eat half back and adjust as needed based on results What you are trying to avoid is eating back calories you havent burned. The benchmark is tyhat if you arent losing for a period normally 8 weeks then thats a very good sign the sum total of your efforts mean you are at maintenance, personally id start making adjustments if I got to 3 weeks and no loss. People have given you plenty of ideas on how to tighten up your logging. the food weighing and logging should be your first port of call.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited September 2015
    macgurlnet wrote: »

ETA:

~Lyssa

Yeah your right. Eating out needs to be minimized. I usually can do anywhere from 10k steps to 15k (ive got 20k on some days when I've walked for lunch break and jogged in the evening). I dont log any exercise on mfp since fitbit tracks all my moves and syncs them. Fitbit has all my stats. But what do u mean by starting of w a negative? Im confused about that part.

If you have negative calorie adjustments enabled, when you first log in to MFP, you'll see something like this (these are my numbers):

1500(GOAL)| 0(FOOD) + -81(EXERCISE) = 81 NET

That 81 is a negative adjustment because I've barely moved so far. MFP estimates that I can eat 1500 calories to maintain my weight, but, even with my activity set at Sedentary, there is still the expectation that I get some steps in. I think it's around 2k steps for me before the adjustment goes positive.

1000+ calories for that number of steps sounds kind of high to me. What's your current height/weight?

~Lyssa
  • suzeexoxo
    birdmoma wrote: »
    Something is off on your kcal burn. To burn 2300 kcal per day is alot. Even with walking 14,000 steps per day (Fitbit), I don't come close to 700 kcal. You would have to be doing some massively aggressive exercise and if you were really burning that much per day + eating the kcal you say you are - you should be very fit.

What is kcal? Do u mean calories. And for my height and weight 2300 is not alot. My body burns that in general more or less depending on how active I am. A body will burn about 1000 calories just by functioning.
  • suzeexoxo

If you have negative calorie adjustments enabled, when you first log in to MFP, you'll see something like this (these are my numbers):

1500(GOAL)| 0(FOOD) + -81(EXERCISE) = 81 NET

That 81 is a negative adjustment because I've barely moved so far. MFP estimates that I can eat 1500 calories to maintain my weight, but, even with my activity set at Sedentary, there is still the expectation that I get some steps in. I think it's around 2k steps for me before the adjustment goes positive.

1000+ calories for that number of steps sounds kind of high to me. What's your current height/weight?

~Lyssa[/quote]

I do have it set at negative then. I remember I did this when I first got my fitbit after someone suggested I do this.
  • suzeexoxo

~Lyssa[/quote]

When I only get 10k steps my burn will be of a little over 500. Yesterday was a very, very active day for me. I think I ended the night with over 15k steps and my heart rate was elevated for the time i was dancing.

• suzeexoxo

I cant comment for fit bit but check you have it set up correctly with other users. The standard start point is to eat half back and adjust as needed based on results What you are trying to avoid is eating back calories you havent burned. The benchmark is tyhat if you arent losing for a period normally 8 weeks then thats a very good sign the sum total of your efforts mean you are at maintenance, personally id start making adjustments if I got to 3 weeks and no loss. People have given you plenty of ideas on how to tighten up your logging. the food weighing and logging should be your first port of call.

Thank you.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I think the setting on your fitbit must be off. What kind of exercises are you doing that burn over 1000 calories? I ran 5 miles today, and it didn't even burn 500. I think the problem is over estimating exercise calories, causing you to over eat.
  • suzeexoxo
    I think the setting on your fitbit must be off. What kind of exercises are you doing that burn over 1000 calories? I ran 5 miles today, and it didn't even burn 500. I think the problem is over estimating exercise calories, causing you to over eat.

Hmmmmm could be. However the 1000 calories was just yesterday. If you see all other days are not like that.
  • suzeexoxo
    Today I have been a couch potatoe all day and my fitbit synced only +21 of exercise calories it says that so far I have burned a total of 1174 calories. Im 5'4 and weigh 172lbs. Is burning a total of 2300 for a day of normal body functions and activity(10k steps +) sound about right?
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Today I have been a couch potatoe all day and my fitbit synced only +21 of exercise calories it says that so far I have burned a total of 1174 calories. Im 5'4 and weigh 172lbs. Is burning a total of 2300 for a day of normal body functions and activity(10k steps +) sound about right?

If your fitbit is like my Garmin, it will tell you what you burn as BMR + Exercise. My watch at the end of the day says I burnt 1660 calories, but that is from being alive AND moving. I can't log the full 1660 as exercise. So on the app it might say +83 calories from my movement of the day.

2300 sounds high to me. 10k steps isn't a lot at all and my band doesn't give me many calories at all for walking. I think I got another only an extra 150 calories or so for a 24k step day.

So depending on what time of day it is, your body has burnt 1174 calories being alive and moving your today. For 2300 to be it, you need to somehow burn 1126 calories before the end of the day. How many hours are left in the day to burn the other 1126 calories?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Too many days are inaccurate for calories burned; too many entries are inaccurate. If you were eating calorically for the last 2 weeks and it as accurate and you burned the calories in your diary you wouldn't be frustrated. So, tighten up entries for food and try a calculator like iffy.com for TDEE or at least BMR.

You have at least one day you show about 1,000 calories burned, one at 700, and several at 500 and this is each week. Tough to imagine you are burning this many unless you are training for a tri and logging many miles of cycling and running.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    I am about 5ft 3in and currently weigh 205 lbs. On days when I walk about 13,000 steps, my fitbit says I burn around 2,700 calories. I just went back to work this week and I was active longer and burned close to 3k calories for the same amount of steps. I have steadily lost my goal each week.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Suze, your ticker says you've lost 8 pounds. How long did this take you?

I note by your diary that you use a lot of general entries, indicating that you don't weigh your solid foods. Make sure you weigh your food because measuring cups, spoons, and eyeballs are usually not accurate. Also, it looks like you don't log everything you consume (i noticed a day with very few calories), which I advise you do as well.
  • SLLRunner
    What you eat doesn't matter from a weight loss perspective. If you're not losing weight over a period of years, you're eating too much.

100% this.
  • SLLRunner
    aggelikik wrote: »
    You are eating too much. Either you are not logging accurately, or the days when you go over, you go over enough to make up for whatever you managed to cut the rest of the week, or you overestimate your burns, or most probably, a combination of all this.

I log everything and I estimate based on what my fitbit tells me I burn. This is why Im so frustrated.

Then your food intake is not accurate.