Low carb flu and extremely hungry..!! (LCHF)

Options
First let me just say that I'm not looking for anyone's personal opinion on Low Carb vs High Carb vs High Protein etc.. I really don't care. Do what works for you, I'm just looking for advice from people who have done or are doing the same as me.
About three days ago I started the low-carb diet (below 30g so around 5%, fat is around 60% and protein 35%) and currently am experiencing a really bad case of the low-carb flu. I can't think straight, I'm really cranky and I have huge cravings for bread and sugary things… I was expecting all of this but I wasn't expecting to be SO DAMN HUNGRY all the time.. And it's not as if I'm not eating enough, before going low-carb, my calorie intake was around 1500 (was trying to lose) and these last few days it's been over 2000!! (My maintenance is apparently around 2000). I've been downing avocado's, veggies, nut butters, eggs and greek yogurt like there's no tomorrow!
Why am I so hungry?? Can I eat whenever (LC of course)? Will this go away soon?
Thanks!!

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    LCD (especially the LCD Launch Pad) has a lot of great info and resources... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    keto is good too... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

I couldn't drop quickly; I had to do a step-down. I also had to up my sodium, potassium, and magnesium, which helped a lot.

I found keto was useful for controlling hunger up to a point, but IF really sealed the deal for me. I do a17/7 split each day with no problems and almost no hunger. If you're interested in IF, try... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know that they have more carbs but I would honestly eat some fruit like apples or melons. Since the sugars are a natural sugar it may actually help you out. Like I said I know it goes against the grain for the low carb but is how I would do it honestly
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Kill the hunger with low carb foods and get through the transition to 30g of carbs first!. Find some foods that you have to really chew or are spicy, salty or crunchy to convince your mouth you ate! :)

Drink broth or boullion, eat pickles or just put salt in water. If there is a chance you are low in magnesium or potassium, look to supplement those.

Get out and do something that consumes your mind and body.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I know that they have more carbs but I would honestly eat some fruit like apples or melons. Since the sugars are a natural sugar it may actually help you out. Like I said I know it goes against the grain for the low carb but is how I would do it honestly

This will prolong the process.

• FitMammina2015
    FitMammina2015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    First let me just say that I'm not looking for anyone's personal opinion on Low Carb vs High Carb vs High Protein etc.. I really don't care. Do what works for you, I'm just looking for advice from people who have done or are doing the same as me.
    About three days ago I started the low-carb diet (below 30g so around 5%, fat is around 60% and protein 35%) and currently am experiencing a really bad case of the low-carb flu. I can't think straight, I'm really cranky and I have huge cravings for bread and sugary things… I was expecting all of this but I wasn't expecting to be SO DAMN HUNGRY all the time.. And it's not as if I'm not eating enough, before going low-carb, my calorie intake was around 1500 (was trying to lose) and these last few days it's been over 2000!! (My maintenance is apparently around 2000). I've been downing avocado's, veggies, nut butters, eggs and greek yogurt like there's no tomorrow!
    Why am I so hungry?? Can I eat whenever (LC of course)? Will this go away soon?
    Thanks!!

I did the low carb diet and it personally was not the way to go for me. I lost a lot of weight but could not maintain it. My metabolism completely slowed down as well and I had little to no energy when it came to working out. The best way to go for me was balanced, unprocessed foods and smaller portion sizes. It's now my lifestyle as opposed to another 'diet'. Its the best i've looked and felt ever. I've also just had a baby and can't believe how quick i've bounced back by eating right.
  • LadyTalulah
    LadyTalulah Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    LCD (especially the LCD Launch Pad) has a lot of great info and resources... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    keto is good too... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

I couldn't drop quickly; I had to do a step-down. I also had to up my sodium, potassium, and magnesium, which helped a lot.

I found keto was useful for controlling hunger up to a point, but IF really sealed the deal for me. I do a17/7 split each day with no problems and almost no hunger. If you're interested in IF, try... http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

Awesome, thanks for the links!!
    I've tried IF before and it completely messed up my hormones, I stopped getting my period. I had heard it wasn't recommended for women but I had to try it out myself before judging :P But thanks!
  • LadyTalulah
    Options

Thanks but umayster is right, unfortunately it would just prolong the process =/
  • LadyTalulah
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    Kill the hunger with low carb foods and get through the transition to 30g of carbs first!. Find some foods that you have to really chew or are spicy, salty or crunchy to convince your mouth you ate! :)

Drink broth or boullion, eat pickles or just put salt in water. If there is a chance you are low in magnesium or potassium, look to supplement those.

Get out and do something that consumes your mind and body.

Thanks, I do have magnesium supplements, I should probably start taking that! And I've seen bouillon pop up quite a few times, I'll try that too! :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with extra magnesium, potassium and sodium. I finally got to the point where I added a small teaspoon of salt to a glass of water every morning because I just couldn't seem to get it high enough. I had to drink a lot more too. I'm sure I increased my water intake by a good 50%.

The first couple of weeks I was very tired, cranky, headachy and started getting muscle cramps every day. The transition isn't a bunch of fun, but I think I made it harder on myself by not adding enough electrolytes, and by cutting my carbs so fast.

My hunger lasted about 2 weeks, maybe a bit less. My crazy carb cravings were gone sooner though; maybe a week.

Hang in there.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm doing approximately the same thing, and feeling too exhausted to eat. At least I don't particularly want to eat carbs. I'm going to get some ketone testing strips and make sure that what I'm doing is working.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Up your sodium! Suck it up buttercup! Once you get through the other side it's so worth it! Unless you are doing heavy training sessions you don't need to worry about fuelling up with carbs first thing in the morning and you have what seems like an endless amount of energy, without having to eat loads.

The low carb flu doesn't last for long!
  • lfetter61
    lfetter61 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Increase sodium, drink water, have a bullet proof coffee, increase your fat intake. If you are not getting enough fat, you will be hungry.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I thought the idea of going low carb was to do it gradually, not cold turkey (so to speak). How much time did you give yourself to ween down to 30g of carbs? Just wondering.

I agree with what everyone else suggests for helping with he headaches; however if that does not work, I suggest going back up in carbs until you feel better and then week by week SLOWLY lower to 30g, even if it's by a few grams on a weekly basis
  • louise13dunstan
    louise13dunstan Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Keto flu
    Once u get past it u wont look back
    Try water with pink salt or rock salt to keep.sodium levels up. I tend to havr 2 bulletproof coffees and one evening meal as im adapted now but it can takr up to 3 months to be adapted.
    I find clotted cream and a few berries or a square of 85+% dark choc will help with craving
    Above all eat when hungry stop when not.
    Good luck
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    lmaharidge wrote: »
    I thought the idea of going low carb was to do it gradually, not cold turkey (so to speak). How much time did you give yourself to ween down to 30g of carbs? Just wondering.

I agree with what everyone else suggests for helping with he headaches; however if that does not work, I suggest going back up in carbs until you feel better and then week by week SLOWLY lower to 30g, even if it's by a few grams on a weekly basis

Going cold turkey was the only way it worked for me. Dancing around ketosis for a couple of weeks is not my idea of fun. I felt lousy for about 10 days, then it was gone.

The remarks about sodium are very spot on. And make sure you eat enough fat.
  • code_monkey0
    code_monkey0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some people suggest drinking broth to get additional electrolytes into your system. I wasn't sure I could handle that so I picked up some Nuun tablets from a local sports store. They're pretty awesome. Just drop it in a bottle of water and let it dissolve. Less than 8 calories (no sugar) with sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium. Kinda pricey but they work.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    When I finally got my macro fats up to 80% my hunger and cravings faded. Carbs then was at 5% and protein at 15%. I had to cut the carbs cold turkey as @lodro stated because I tried tapering off carbs for 60 days can would not bring myself to do that way.