So in theory you could do no exercise at all and still lose weight with a deficit

Options
12346»

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    rbfdac wrote: »
    In theory? No, in reality.

Afraid you're wrong, there are plenty of people on MFP who have lost weight without resorting to exercise. Its just a natural part of cico and creating a deficit by lowering food consumption alone.
    I think he was saying it was reality, not just theory.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I have no trouble keeping weight off, even though I am not able to exercise at all. I am in control of my weight because I understand how CICO works.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    In theory? No, in reality.

Afraid you're wrong, there are plenty of people on MFP who have lost weight without resorting to exercise. Its just a natural part of cico and creating a deficit by lowering food consumption alone.
    I think he was saying it was reality, not just theory.

Oh I see, thanks.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight without exercise. BUT I find exercising fun and a good way to take a break from "the rest of my life". Also you can eat a bit more if you exercise and I'd rather exercise and eat more than eat less!!!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise - but I do believe that exercise will always help in the long run to maintain a healthy heart and lifestyle :)

Awesome post. So very much this.

(Disclaimer: my heart goes out to anyone in a wheelchair who has no chance of exercising. I wish I knew more to help you except CI<CO works.)

People in wheelchairs can exercise as well, there are plenty of youtube videos and information for wheelchair workouts. Think how fit the wheelchair athletes are or how fit generally your upper body has to be if you wheel yourself around.

I know that. I was talking about people who are in wheelchairs who can't exercise (quadriplegics). And now you've made them feel worse, most likely. Please think before posting.
  • FreezingDan
    FreezingDan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you are so convinced that losing fat is simply a matter of eating at a caloric deficit then please do the following: replace all the calories in your diet with delicious Twix bars. Mmmm mmm good. What's the problem? It's the same amount of calories. By your logic, you should still lose fat. Any volunteers?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise - but I do believe that exercise will always help in the long run to maintain a healthy heart and lifestyle :)

Awesome post. So very much this.

(Disclaimer: my heart goes out to anyone in a wheelchair who has no chance of exercising. I wish I knew more to help you except CI<CO works.)

People in wheelchairs can exercise as well, there are plenty of youtube videos and information for wheelchair workouts. Think how fit the wheelchair athletes are or how fit generally your upper body has to be if you wheel yourself around.

I know that. I was talking about people who are in wheelchairs who can't exercise (quadriplegics). And now you've made them feel worse, most likely. Please think before posting.

Exactly. There are a lot of reasons people might not be able to exercise. I am not in a wheelchair, but I can't exercise at all. I'm not happy about it, but I can't do it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    If you are so convinced that losing fat is simply a matter of eating at a caloric deficit then please do the following: replace all the calories in your diet with delicious Twix bars. Mmmm mmm good. What's the problem? It's the same amount of calories. By your logic, you should still lose fat. Any volunteers?

8-10, he keeps coming back. Shows dedication.

Why not use twinkies in your experiment and go for 9 out of 10.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

If protein and fat are king, replace your entire diet with only bacon. See how that goes for you. Your strawman is string...

And yes, you will lose fat and improve your health markers if you eat at a deficit. Google "the Twinki Diet" and see for yourself.

Science is your friend... Quackery is not. You have obviously waddled into some misinformation.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

If you ate nothing but Twix bars in a deficit, you would indeed lose fat. You might not be very full, and your macros and micros would suffer, but you would lose weight.

Also, we don't take too kindly to strawmen around here.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

It's been done with Oreos and Twinkies in controlled experiments. Weight loss ensued when eating at a deficit.
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options

It's been done with Oreos and Twinkies in controlled experiments. Weight loss ensued when eating at a deficit.

This has been done? Why wasn't I invited??
  • 555_FILK
    555_FILK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Freezing Dan, I'd like to know where your information is coming from. The guys you bike with? A magazine? Website?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options

Oh, the old 100% candy/cookie/cake diet argument again. I'd say you should get a hobby, but it appears you already have one.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Oh I get it, you're trolling.[/quote]

THIS!