Options

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    My view point on LCHF still stands that it's an excellent tool and 'as healthy a diet' as someone can have and weight loss only happens with a calorie deficit.

One doesn't need to follow fad diets sensationalized by the media and TV doctors to be healthy and lose weight. They just need common sense.

Just because the media has recognized the LCHF diet as a healthy tool that can be used towards weight loss, doesn't mean it is a fad

All diets are fads. They are just recipes for people who have no clue how to lose weight because they don't know the basic science behind weight loss and/or don't have the commitment to do so.

-Follow this plan for 6 weeks...
    -Count your calories using this point system...
    -Drink this green juice...
    -Take these pills...
    -Buy this stuff...
    -Restrict these whole foods because they will cause insulin spikes...
    -Consume a protein shake before bed or your muscles will go catabolic overnight...

It's all mumbo-jumbo. There is a huge market for diet plans and they make certain people very rich. But weight loss shouldn't be that complicated... and it isn't!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My view point on LCHF still stands that it's an excellent tool and 'as healthy a diet' as someone can have and weight loss only happens with a calorie deficit.

One doesn't need to follow fad diets sensationalized by the media and TV doctors to be healthy and lose weight. They just need common sense.

Just because the media has recognized the LCHF diet as a healthy tool that can be used towards weight loss, doesn't mean it is a fad

All diets are fads. They are just recipes for people who have no clue how to lose weight because they don't know the basic science behind weight loss.

-Follow this plan for 6 weeks...
    -Count your food by this scale of points...
    -Drink this green juice...
    -Take these pills...
    -Buy this stuff...
    -Restrict these whole foods because they will cause insulin spikes...
    -Consume a protein shake before bed or your muscles will go catabolic overnight...

It's all mumbo-jumbo. There is a huge market for dieting and they make certain people very rich. But weight loss shouldn't be that complicated... and it isn't!

People do not need to go low carb to lose weight. It is just a more healthful way of eating for some people.

I disagree that all diets are fads. A diet is what people tend to eat.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Can we cover via probability based deduction problem?
    Let's throw out some known facts
    Percent of registered dietitians who mismeasure their food size even knowing they'll be checked in an experiment: 25%.
    Times the Laws of Thermodynamics have been violated conclusively: < .01% (actually 0).
    Assumptions:
    the average dieter, particularly new ones, will be less accurate with food measurements than a dietitian from the experiment.
    the average diet is known to obey the laws of physics.
    So, which is more likely:
    A. the dieter has mismeasured food in an uncontrolled environment (~>25%)
    B. the laws of thermodynamics that have always held up under properly controlled conditions have been violated (~0%)
    C. some other thing (incalculable without further information)
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Percent of registered dietitians who mismeasure their food size even knowing they'll be checked in an experiment: 25%.
    Times the Laws of Thermodynamics have been violated conclusively: < .01% (actually 0).
    Assumptions:
    the average dieter, particularly new ones, will be less accurate with food measurements than a dietitian from the experiment.
    B. the laws of thermodynamics that have always held up under properly controlled conditions have been violated (~0%)

It's option D.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

What like the WHOLE FOODS? Please!!!!

I do happen to think that limiting the amount of inflammatory foods in my diet is healthy.

I certainly do not want MY diet to lack in essential fats and protein.

For me and probably countless others Low Carb means I don't have to restrict my portion size, that I don't have to stop eating something when i'm still hungry or I still want more.

The the biggest benefit is I can eat the food I love and not have the ball-ache or worry about weighing it or logging it.

For me it's simplicity and taste at it's finest.

• senecarr
    Options
    Assumptions:

It's option D.

No giving me the D.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Assumptions:

It's option D.

No giving me the D.

bruh

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I do happen to think that limiting the amount of inflammatory foods in my diet is healthy.

For me and probably countless others Low Carb means I don't have to restrict my portion size, that I don't have to stop eating something when i'm still hungry or I still want more.

The the biggest benefit is I can eat the food I love and not have the ball-ache or worry about weighing it or logging it.

Open your diary... Lol... I want an example of this... or just paste an .img of it in this thread.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options

Its not just the low carbers that dont have to worry about portion size. I am like i have a tape worm and can still lose weight. I lost weight in my tenure without logging calories too. And i eat over 200g of carbs a day... i generally aim for 250g. But this has more to do with thr fact that i have a good amount of muscle, my tdee is about 3000 ish calories and i enjoy being active. And my diet doesn't lack essential fats or proteins because its actually pretty easy to hit both of those levels. Even high carbs can hit the essential levels. I actually exceed both levels and hit 45 to 50% of my calories from carbs.

• nvmomketo
    Options

Open your diary... Lol... I want an example of this... or just paste an .img of it in this thread.

You Lol at him and expect him to do this for you? Really?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    Lol how is that defying the laws of nature. Explain. Nobody could possibly eat 1800-2000 cals and only 20 carbs and lose weight? You're misinformed.
    I think I'll trust my results over your opinion.

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg

Until it's proven incorrect!!!

Just so we're all on the same page here. Are you saying, that in the context of the conversation the picture was used, that the science is incorrect.

Or was this merely a drive by?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options

You Lol at him and expect him to do this for you? Really?

You know i never understood the whole lets compare diaries thing like it proves that much. Also, i dont think tennisdude logs.

The only time where i think it even is to be in consideration is when its a thread on not losing/gaining based on goals or people make statements like you can eat more calories by eating "xx" diet. Ultimately, if your goal is to maximize TEF, then moderate to high protein and mod to high carb is the way to go... as fat doesnt take many calories to digest. Although, i will caveat is medical conditions that inhibit insulin to stabalize, allowing your body to enter fat burning mode again.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    Lol how is that defying the laws of nature. Explain. Nobody could possibly eat 1800-2000 cals and only 20 carbs and lose weight? You're misinformed.
    I think I'll trust my results over your opinion.

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg

Until it's proven incorrect!!!

Just so we're all on the same page here. Are you saying, that in the context of the conversation the picture was used, that the science is incorrect.

Or was this merely a drive by?

Drive by! it was a comment aimed at the picture!

• tennisdude2004
    Options

I haven't log since I've been on this site (Feb 2014).

• tennisdude2004
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Its not just the low carbers that dont have to worry about portion size. I am like i have a tape worm and can still lose weight. I lost weight in my tenure without logging calories too. And i eat over 200g of carbs a day... i generally aim for 250g. But this has more to do with thr fact that i have a good amount of muscle, my tdee is about 3000 ish calories and i enjoy being active. And my diet doesn't lack essential fats or proteins because its actually pretty easy to hit both of those levels. Even high carbs can hit the essential levels. I actually exceed both levels and hit 45 to 50% of my calories from carbs.

I'm not saying it is only low carber's that can eat intuitively - I am merely siting my own experience.

If I switch to more carbs in my diet, I really struggle to control my appetite.

Besides my favour foods are mainly meat based :)

I'm just about to make a pancetta and Shiitake omelette (with a large glass of wine)!
  • senecarr
    Options

I'm not saying it is only low carber's that can eat intuitively - I am merely siting my own experience.

I'm just about to make a pancetta and Shiitake omelette (with a large glass of wine)!

Those statements sound contradictory.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Those statements sound contradictory.

In what way?

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted their opinion and advice! I read through everyone's response and have decided to follow the low carb for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm on day two and feel lots of energy and don't feel hungry! As I had said before, I did low cal and did well on it, but am wanting to see how my body responds to something different. Sometimes it's good to shake things up a bit. Every person responds differently to different things. I will post my 15 day results.

Two weeks isn't very long. Many who go lery low carb feel poorly the first few weeks because their electrolytes are out of balance. A vLC diet will cause you to need about 5000mg of sodium per day, so you will need to double your salt intake (most likely). You may need to up potassium and magnesium too.

I agree with @2Poufs. Consider giving it 4 weeks.

Good luck!
    a low carb diet is essentially a way to cut calories. Unless you are diabetic, or have a history of diabetes in your family perhaps, it's generally unnecessary to follow a LC diet.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    low carb is just a way to cut calories...if you low carb and lose weight then you've also cut calories. people do put on some weight when they introduce carbs back into their diet as they restore depleted glycogen stores...essentially water...which has mass and thus weight.

I would disagree that low carb is just a way to cut calories. I'm sure it is for some people because carbs are easy to cut, but LCHF is a way of eating that most use to improve their health. It can be eaten in a calorie deficit or not, or to bulk.

LCHF is one of many WOE that will help improve health and wellness. Any WOE that a person can sustain that will help them lose weight and become more fit will inherently improve your health markers.

For the OP, only time will tell if its beneficial and sustainable. For some people it works very well and for some (me) its a huge failure.

Following to see how the OP does in 15 or 30 days. Good luck OP.

I agree. It's one of many WOEs. It's just a matter of finding the one best suited for your personal health issues, and that you find satisfactory.
    Acg67 wrote: »
    a low carb diet is essentially a way to cut calories. Unless you are diabetic, or have a history of diabetes in your family perhaps, it's generally unnecessary to follow a LC diet.
    low carb is just a way to cut calories...if you low carb and lose weight then you've also cut calories. people do put on some weight when they introduce carbs back into their diet as they restore depleted glycogen stores...essentially water...which has mass and thus weight.

I would disagree that low carb is just a way to cut calories. I'm sure it is for some people because carbs are easy to cut, but LCHF is a way of eating that most use to improve their health. It can be eaten in a calorie deficit or not, or to bulk.

Please substantiate the claim that "most" use LCHF to improve health. Are you saying the majority of LCHF adherents or using a different definition or is this yet another baseless claim aka the usual

Apologies. I should have said that most of the people who use a LCHF diet over the long term, and who frequent the various MFP groups (like Low Carber Daily), state that they use this diet to improve their health. They eat at a deficit for weight loss.

And I really don't think my usual claims are baseless.... My guess is that you write that because you generally disagree with my opinion; that alone does not mean that I wrong.

So indeed your claim was baseless until you totally changed the claim and then it is based on a pretty small sample size that is in no way representative of the group at large. It's not that I disagree with your opinion, you fail to support your claims with any actual evidence at nearly a 100% rate.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok. So what I want to know is, for all responders who are so vehemently anti low carb - and for those of you who just generally don't think it makes a difference whatsoever - cico, cico, forever and ever, amen, etc ... why bother responding in the first place to keto/lowcarb/lchf/onlymeat4evah! threads? What is the payoff? Anyone who is doing low carb and getting good results is probably going to continue doing it. Same with people who are eating a more traditional, less restrictive woe. Different strokes for different folks.

Why is it necessary to be so combative about it?

wh2wpy63w155.png
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who posted their opinion and advice! I read through everyone's response and have decided to follow the low carb for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm on day two and feel lots of energy and don't feel hungry! As I had said before, I did low cal and did well on it, but am wanting to see how my body responds to something different. Sometimes it's good to shake things up a bit. Every person responds differently to different things. I will post my 15 day results.

Two weeks isn't very long. Many who go lery low carb feel poorly the first few weeks because their electrolytes are out of balance. A vLC diet will cause you to need about 5000mg of sodium per day, so you will need to double your salt intake (most likely). You may need to up potassium and magnesium too.

I agree with @2Poufs. Consider giving it 4 weeks.

Good luck!

LCHF is one of many WOE that will help improve health and wellness. Any WOE that a person can sustain that will help them lose weight and become more fit will inherently improve your health markers.

For the OP, only time will tell if its beneficial and sustainable. For some people it works very well and for some (me) its a huge failure.

Following to see how the OP does in 15 or 30 days. Good luck OP.

I agree. It's one of many WOEs. It's just a matter of finding the one best suited for your personal health issues, and that you find satisfactory.

Please substantiate the claim that "most" use LCHF to improve health. Are you saying the majority of LCHF adherents or using a different definition or is this yet another baseless claim aka the usual

Apologies. I should have said that most of the people who use a LCHF diet over the long term, and who frequent the various MFP groups (like Low Carber Daily), state that they use this diet to improve their health. They eat at a deficit for weight loss.

And I really don't think my usual claims are baseless.... My guess is that you write that because you generally disagree with my opinion; that alone does not mean that I wrong.

So indeed your claim was baseless until you totally changed the claim and then it is based on a pretty small sample size that is in no way representative of the group at large. It's not that I disagree with your opinion, you fail to support your claims with any actual evidence at nearly a 100% rate.

How are you expecting me to back up my personal observations? And why would I bother for you, a person who appears to have no interest in low carb except to argue against it even though it is not a dangerous or unhealthy diet.

You baffle me a bit.