Extreme Low Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Lsbabus wrote: »
    All those vegetables include carbs. Are you counting them in your daily tally?

Most people who low carb use "net carbs" which is essentially total carbs minus fiber, so you can incorporate more vegetables than you're thinking. I believe (although I've been known to be wrong) that most European countries only put net carbs on their food labels.
  • BaileighJoosteHiggins
    Options
    My mom and co worker have convinced me that a low carb diet is what I should follow to reach my weight loss goals. I've read the other forums and am not interested in the debate on whether low calorie or low carb is the better of two.. I've tried low carb, I did well on it but constantly felt hungry. I know different diets work for different people, but these two people in particular have lost significant weight following extreme low carb diet. My coworker has lost 120 pounds since January of this year when he went to the doctor for the first time in awhile and found out he was diabetic and weighed over 300 pounds. These two people are following a diet similar to Atkins.. only eating 20-30 carbs per day. I suppose my question is.. is this realistic? 20 carbs is not a lot at all especially when you're used to eating 200-250 carbs per day. I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

I've just done a 9 week stint on the New Atkins diet and this is what happened to me:
    I lost 12 kilograms in 9 weeks
    I got over my sugar addiction because no sugar is allowed
    I learned to control my portions and be satisfied with less food - low carb, moderate protein and high fat is surprisingly filling.
    I learned to eat vegetables because you HAVE to eat a certain amount per day
    I learned to plan ahead, cook with the minimum of spices and appreciate flavors
    I learned to drink water
    All in all the diet really helped me and taught me a LOT.
    BUT I am no longer on it because: I tend to be impulsive and on that diet you have to plan almost every meal. i also enjoy variety and that diet is very restrictive in the beginning. You can slowly add carbs, fruit, dairy etc back to your diet as you progress but I wasn't willing to wait that long.
    Still, I'm sure it works for a lot of people. Why don't you try it and find out if it suits you or not?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Melmo1988 wrote: »
    Lol how is that defying the laws of nature. Explain. Nobody could possibly eat 1800-2000 cals and only 20 carbs and lose weight? You're misinformed.
    I think I'll trust my results over your opinion.

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg

Until it's proven incorrect!!!

Just so we're all on the same page here. Are you saying, that in the context of the conversation the picture was used, that the science is incorrect.

Or was this merely a drive by?

Drive by! it was a comment aimed at the picture!

OK, so to flame and derail.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Lol how is that defying the laws of nature. Explain. Nobody could possibly eat 1800-2000 cals and only 20 carbs and lose weight? You're misinformed.

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg

Just so we're all on the same page here. Are you saying, that in the context of the conversation the picture was used, that the science is incorrect.

Nope.

• RGv2
    edited September 2015
    Options

jkjzpwz0zvft.jpeg

Nope.

Then what was the point, your comment had nothing to do with the thread or context the picture was used in. Looks like bait and derailing to me.

Or a funny way to agree with the poster who thinks the science is incorrect.
  • tennisdude2004
    edited September 2015
    Options
    It was merely a comment that the picture 'which was posted as a condescending comment' was only correct to the point that - science is true, but only until its proven incorrect.

That was all - not flaming, no derailing. The thread has continued on its merry way.

And it would appear that only one or two people got their knickers in a twist over it.

• gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Lsbabus wrote: »
    All those vegetables include carbs. Are you counting them in your daily tally?

Most people who low carb use "net carbs" which is essentially total carbs minus fiber, so you can incorporate more vegetables than you're thinking. I believe (although I've been known to be wrong) that most European countries only put net carbs on their food labels.

Yes, many use net carbs instead of total carbs, though that is an individual choice.

I personally use total carbs because I was trained to use total carbs by my dietitian when I had Gestational Diabetes and I'm more comfortable with it. I think that the Atkins line of products use net carbs. I looked at the back of a box a few months ago because I was intrigued by the chocolate bars that only had 3 net carbs. When I looked at the back it gave total carbs and net carbs.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who posted their opinion and advice! I read through everyone's response and have decided to follow the low carb for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm on day two and feel lots of energy and don't feel hungry! As I had said before, I did low cal and did well on it, but am wanting to see how my body responds to something different. Sometimes it's good to shake things up a bit. Every person responds differently to different things. I will post my 15 day results.

Give it 3 weeks to be keto-adapted. (Below 40 grams/day). Remember, it's not about weight loss, it's about Fat loss and improving your blood and hormone profiles. In this regard Keto wins hands-down every time.

I was in keto for over a year and lost a lot of muscle along with my fat loss (including heart muscle). I'm not saying that's the default nature of it, just that being in keto doesn't put you in a magic state of being where you only lose fat.
  • RGv2
    Options
    It was merely a comment that the picture 'which was posted to be condescending comment' was only correct to the point that - science is true, but only until its proven incorrect.

That was all - not flaming, no derailing. The thread has continued on its merry way.

So you saw it as condescending, which I didn't, and appear to have tried to be condescending yourself via drive by. I think we're on the same page now.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Oh brother... I'm out.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    It was merely a comment that the picture 'which was posted to be condescending comment' was only correct to the point that - science is true, but only until its proven incorrect.

So you saw it as condescending, which I didn't, and appear to have tried to be condescending yourself via drive by. I think we're on the same page now.

I think so too

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who posted their opinion and advice! I read through everyone's response and have decided to follow the low carb for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm on day two and feel lots of energy and don't feel hungry! As I had said before, I did low cal and did well on it, but am wanting to see how my body responds to something different. Sometimes it's good to shake things up a bit. Every person responds differently to different things. I will post my 15 day results.

Give it 3 weeks to be keto-adapted. (Below 40 grams/day). Remember, it's not about weight loss, it's about Fat loss and improving your blood and hormone profiles. In this regard Keto wins hands-down every time.

I was in keto for over a year and lost a lot of muscle along with my fat loss (including heart muscle). I'm not saying that's the default nature of it, just that being in keto doesn't put you in a magic state of being where you only lose fat.

Nor does it automatically improve blood and hormone profiles (any associated weight loss with it does that). If you wanted to test that theory, over-eat on keto to see if it has similar results as overeating on all other types of food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    What like the WHOLE FOODS? Please!!!!

I do happen to think that limiting the amount of inflammatory foods in my diet is healthy.

I certainly do not want MY diet to lack in essential fats and protein.

For me and probably countless others Low Carb means I don't have to restrict my portion size, that I don't have to stop eating something when i'm still hungry or I still want more.

The the biggest benefit is I can eat the food I love and not have the ball-ache or worry about weighing it or logging it.

For me it's simplicity and taste at it's finest.

Its not just the low carbers that dont have to worry about portion size. I am like i have a tape worm and can still lose weight. I lost weight in my tenure without logging calories too. And i eat over 200g of carbs a day... i generally aim for 250g. But this has more to do with thr fact that i have a good amount of muscle, my tdee is about 3000 ish calories and i enjoy being active. And my diet doesn't lack essential fats or proteins because its actually pretty easy to hit both of those levels. Even high carbs can hit the essential levels. I actually exceed both levels and hit 45 to 50% of my calories from carbs.

I'm not saying it is only low carber's that can eat intuitively - I am merely siting my own experience.

If I switch to more carbs in my diet, I really struggle to control my appetite.

Besides my favour foods are mainly meat based :)

I'm just about to make a pancetta and Shiitake omelette (with a large glass of wine)!

Those statements sound contradictory.

In what way?

You're favorite foods are mainly meat, but you can't control your appetite with carbs.
    I'm not saying it is necessarily contradictory, just they sound that way.

There's nothing contradictory in the least about my statement (if that's what you are comparing)!!!??

If you are comparing my experience with your own experience (as Lemurcat12 is) then our experiences are contradictory (to a fashion), but my statement in isolation does not fall under the definition of contradictory.

I think what seems weird about it is that you say you have trouble controlling your appetite with foods that you aren't that into. I'm not that into bread or rice or the like either, but that's why I decided it was silly to cut them out--I am not going to overeat rice, even before dieting I never kept bread around the house and if I had some I'd forget to eat it, the sauce has always been what I liked about pasta, etc.

But I do understand -- apparently some people (although not me) find that their hunger levels are different if they eat carbs and so cutting carbs ends up not being about tempting foods, but a hunger control mechanism.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I do happen to think that limiting the amount of inflammatory foods in my diet is healthy.

For me and probably countless others Low Carb means I don't have to restrict my portion size, that I don't have to stop eating something when i'm still hungry or I still want more.

The the biggest benefit is I can eat the food I love and not have the ball-ache or worry about weighing it or logging it.

Its not just the low carbers that dont have to worry about portion size. I am like i have a tape worm and can still lose weight. I lost weight in my tenure without logging calories too. And i eat over 200g of carbs a day... i generally aim for 250g. But this has more to do with thr fact that i have a good amount of muscle, my tdee is about 3000 ish calories and i enjoy being active. And my diet doesn't lack essential fats or proteins because its actually pretty easy to hit both of those levels. Even high carbs can hit the essential levels. I actually exceed both levels and hit 45 to 50% of my calories from carbs.

I'm not saying it is only low carber's that can eat intuitively - I am merely siting my own experience.

I'm just about to make a pancetta and Shiitake omelette (with a large glass of wine)!

In what way?

You're favorite foods are mainly meat, but you can't control your appetite with carbs.

There's nothing contradictory in the least about my statement (if that's what you are comparing)!!!??

If you are comparing my experience with your own experience (as Lemurcat12 is) then our experiences are contradictory (to a fashion), but my statement in isolation does not fall under the definition of contradictory.

I think what seems weird about it is that you say you have trouble controlling your appetite with foods that you aren't that into. I'm not that into bread or rice or the like either, but that's why I decided it was silly to cut them out--I am not going to overeat rice, even before dieting I never kept bread around the house and if I had some I'd forget to eat it, the sauce has always been what I liked about pasta, etc.

But I do understand -- apparently some people (although not me) find that their hunger levels are different if they eat carbs and so cutting carbs ends up not being about tempting foods, but a hunger control mechanism.

I think you are making lots of assumptions, which is why your assumption my statement is contradictory is wrong.

My favorite food is meat (beef, game, chicken, lamb, pork etc), I will happily eat that for every meal - it's expensive so I don't.

Liking meat does not mean I do not like carbs. Eating low carb does not mean I do not like carbs.

I like carbs, I have never said I do not like carbs. My diet is low carb - it isn't no carb.

My favorite meal is chilli (I love chilli) - I will generally make it and eat it until I am full.

I also like pizza and when I eat pizza I eat it till I'm full, which is generally the whole pizza, there are a lot more calories in a whole pizza than there is in my big bowl of chilli (i have entered the recipe into MFP to see).

I like Doritios, I don't crave them and can happily go a month without them, but believe me if I open a big sharing packet I will eat from it until I am satisfied, which is general most of the packet.

I do not like having to stop eating until I am full or I feel I have eaten enough and am satisfied and with carbs the calories stack up quicker than with protein / fatty foods.

That is why for ME a low carb diet is perfect.

• lemurcat12
    Options

In what way?

I think you are making lots of assumptions, which is why your assumption my statement is contradictory is wrong.

I made no assumptions and was not claiming that your statement was contradictory. I was explaining why someone might read it as such, or at least a little weird. Based on what you'd said I actually thought it made sense, as I also said.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Oh, also a bag of Doritos has 140 calories, 68 of which are from carbs, 63 of which are from fat. Again, seems weird to blame "carbs" for those calories. Pizza generally has a ton of calories from fat too, cheese, fatty meats (if you add them), olives, olive oil or whatever else is used depending on the pizza.

It's so weird how people write off high cal foods they tend to overeat as "carbs" when typically they are a mix.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Oh, also a bag of Doritos has 140 calories, 68 of which are from carbs, 63 of which are from fat. Again, seems weird to blame "carbs" for those calories. Pizza generally has a ton of calories from fat too, cheese, fatty meats (if you add them), olives, olive oil or whatever else is used depending on the pizza.

It's so weird how people write off high cal foods they tend to overeat as "carbs" when typically they are a mix.

i always find this interesting as well...

most of the carbs people seem to be "addicted" to and whatnot seem to be of this mix...i've yet to here about black beans giving anyone crazy cravings...
  • tennisdude2004
    edited September 2015
    Options

In what way?

I made no assumptions and was not claiming that your statement was contradictory. I was explaining why someone might read it as such, or at least a little weird. Based on what you'd said I actually thought it made sense, as I also said.

Oh sorry I assumed you found my statement contradictory.

Maybe it was your comment 'I find this contradictory too'.???

Also a sharing bag of doritos is more like 1000 calories. nom, nom, nom
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

In what way?

My favorite food is meat (beef, game, chicken, lamb, pork etc), I will happily eat that for every meal - it's expensive so I don't.

Liking meat does not mean I do not like carbs. Eating low carb does not mean I do not like carbs.

I like carbs, I have never said I do not like carbs. My diet is low carb - it isn't no carb.

My favorite meal is chilli (I love chilli) - I will generally make it and eat it until I am full.

I also like pizza and when I eat pizza I eat it till I'm full, which is generally the whole pizza, there are a lot more calories in a whole pizza than there is in my big bowl of chilli (i have entered the recipe into MFP to see).

I like Doritios, I don't crave them and can happily go a month without them, but believe me if I open a big sharing packet I will eat from it until I am satisfied, which is general most of the packet.

I do not like having to stop eating until I am full or I feel I have eaten enough and am satisfied and with carbs the calories stack up quicker than with protein / fatty foods.

A quick search tells me that a slice of Dominos pepperoni pizza has 13 grams fat and 34 grams carbs
    1 gram fat = 9 calories, 1 gram carbs = 4 calories, so this slice of pizza gives you 117 calories from fat and 136 calories from carbs
    So why are you blaming the carbs and not the fat?
    Why take pizza as an example of why you need to eat low carb and not e.g. oranges or tomatoes?

• tennisdude2004
    edited September 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

In what way?

A quick search tells me that a slice of Dominos pepperoni pizza has 13 grams fat and 34 grams carbs
    1 gram fat = 9 calories, 1 gram carbs = 4 calories, so this slice of pizza gives you 117 calories from fat and 136 calories from carbs
    So why are you blaming the carbs and not the fat?
    Why take pizza as an example of why you need to eat low carb and not e.g. oranges or tomatoes?

Lots of assumptions going on here.

So for the record - go to pizza: Pizza Hut 'medium Pan Meat Feast - with a BBQ base'

Calories - 1904
    Carbs - 179.2

My chilli (double serving because I'm generally hungry):

Calories - 788
    Carbs - 26

I didn't use tomatoes or oranges as an example because I don't have issues with eating them:

1904 calories = 119 tomatoes
    1904 calories = 30 oranges

I'm general satisfied and full before reaching those quantities of those particular fruit.

Good point with the fat in pizza by the way. Most of it is soaked into the carb base and is polyunsaturated (another good reason for me to limit this food in my diet). At least with my fatty meat I get mostly saturated fat.