Extreme Low Carb Diet

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    My mom and co worker have convinced me that a low carb diet is what I should follow to reach my weight loss goals. I've read the other forums and am not interested in the debate on whether low calorie or low carb is the better of two.. I've tried low carb, I did well on it but constantly felt hungry. I know different diets work for different people, but these two people in particular have lost significant weight following extreme low carb diet. My coworker has lost 120 pounds since January of this year when he went to the doctor for the first time in awhile and found out he was diabetic and weighed over 300 pounds. These two people are following a diet similar to Atkins.. only eating 20-30 carbs per day. I suppose my question is.. is this realistic? 20 carbs is not a lot at all especially when you're used to eating 200-250 carbs per day. I feel that even if I lose the weight, or in my coworkers situation that when/if he stops following the low carb regime OR even goes back to eating a daily recommended amount of carbs that he will likely gain it back. Advice?

That is why CICO is recommended. Low carbing works because it incidentally creates a calorie deficit. There's no need to make the process any harder than it needs to be.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    And personal observation, i really dont know how people get filled up on fat... i never do. I can get full off 1 baked potato (300g) with 1 tbsp of butter but need like 5 servings of nuts to even remotely touch my hunger. So if fats fill you up, thats great because they dont for me..

Context perhaps ? You're on a high carb diet with blood sugar all over the place so you need the potato to crank up the blood sugar to remove the glycaemic hunger.

I'm on a low carb diet and don't have any hunger.

That's why you don't get it. Fats aren't going to fix the blood sugar crash you're addressing with your starch bolus.

Who said anything about me being hungry. I made a personal observation betweens fats and statches (aka the calories and quantity are much greater with fats). This includes using them as my first meal after 12+ hours of fasting.

I am rarely hungry on my higher carb diet as I incorporate a good amount of protein. And you act like ones body doeant have the ability to regulate blood sugars.

And if you want greater observation.. i tend to get fuller on a sirloin then i do with a prime rib or rib eye. Not only do i get half the calories but i can eat less overall. Its usually 9oz of sirloin vs 12 to 15 of prime rib.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    You're on a high carb diet with blood sugar all over the place so you need the potato to crank up the blood sugar to remove the glycaemic hunger.
    That's a big assumption...

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    And personal observation, i really dont know how people get filled up on fat... i never do. I can get full off 1 baked potato (300g) with 1 tbsp of butter but need like 5 servings of nuts to even remotely touch my hunger. So if fats fill you up, thats great because they dont for me..

Context perhaps ? You're on a high carb diet with blood sugar all over the place so you need the potato to crank up the blood sugar to remove the glycaemic hunger.

I'm on a low carb diet and don't have any hunger.

That's why you don't get it. Fats aren't going to fix the blood sugar crash you're addressing with your starch bolus.

Who said anything about me being hungry. I made a personal observation betweens fats and statches (aka the calories and quantity are much greater with fats). This includes using them as my first meal after 12+ hours of fasting.

I am rarely hungry on my higher carb diet as I incorporate a good amount of protein. And you act like ones body doeant have the ability to regulate blood sugars.

And if you want greater observation.. i tend to get fuller on a sirloin then i do with a prime rib or rib eye. Not only do i get half the calories but i can eat less overall. Its usually 9oz of sirloin vs 12 to 15 of prime rib.

I mentioned the same observation and got the same response from yarwell.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    most of the carbs people seem to be "addicted" to and whatnot seem to be of this mix...i've yet to here about black beans giving anyone crazy cravings...
    Black beans have protein and tons and tons of fiber -- not a carb anywhere close to chips or pizza.
    100 grams of black beans (measured raw) would be 341 calories, of which 248 calories (or 72%) are from carbs, and 88 calories or 26% are from protein. Much more carby, really. That you'd say it's less of a "carb" than foods that are much higher in fat and lower in carb percentage is interesting and shows how the term "carb" gets so misused in these discussions, as if it meant "junk food." When, of course, fruits and vegetables are classic carbs.
    Exactly. My diet is 80% carbs because I now eat lots of beans, lentils, whole grains, potatoes, veggies and fruits and very very little junk/processed food. I go well over 300g carbs almost daily, and at 125 lbs, I'm almost done losing weight. And yet, these are healthy whole foods that a low-carber would have no choice but to avoid or limit themselves to non-starchy veggies only. This is the problem with fixating on macros instead of whole foods and nutrient density. Glad I got off that low-carb bandwagon. It was a complete waste of time and compared to what I eat now, much less healthy.

Oh, and I should add that my most recent fasting blood glucose was 70 (normal range should be 65-99).
    That's for those who still think that somehow carbs cause your blood glucose and insulin to do something other than what they're supposed to do, which is to behave normally.

Isn't a combination of the essential macro nutrients of fats & proteins making up only 20% of your calories? It sounds like you are only getting 300 calories a day in fats & proteins. Something like 20gr fat and 30gr protein? That doesn't sound like an example that should be shown to others. You may want to review the basis for your diet and monitor your long term health very closely.

Only time will tell, my bro lived on a fifth a day for quite a while. Until he didn't.

• marcae70
    marcae70 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Www.reddit.com/r/keto
  • tls8369
    tls8369 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I believe you can have higher carbs; however the fiber count needs to increase to offset this
    Eating whole foods with carbs is always a better choice than to eat processed "anything".

I completely agree. I have reduced my carbs to 40 or below; with only having 30 or below the first 5 days to kick start my body.
    I felt tired and weak at first and even had headaches the first 3 days - but man o man and I more energetic now.
    I'm doing it to be healthy and reduce fat percent in my body. I'm 5'6" and started off 140 lbs and one week later I'm 133.8!
    This low carb "diet" is to reduce fat and have better overall health. Eat 1/2 your "goal weight" of protein and keep carbs under 30-40 a day. Hungry, eat protein and fiber rich foods - I eat every time I'm hungry -
    Enter your goals in MFP and just remember to put in your info
    Also, reduce your fiber count in the foods and sugar alcohol from the carbs and that's your total NET CARB count.
    It's not a fad or restricted food intake diet - it's eating more clean and healthy
    Acg67 wrote: »
    Yi5hedr3 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone who posted their opinion and advice! I read through everyone's response and have decided to follow the low carb for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. I'm on day two and feel lots of energy and don't feel hungry! As I had said before, I did low cal and did well on it, but am wanting to see how my body responds to something different. Sometimes it's good to shake things up a bit. Every person responds differently to different things. I will post my 15 day results.

Give it 3 weeks to be keto-adapted. (Below 40 grams/day). Remember, it's not about weight loss, it's about Fat loss and improving your blood and hormone profiles. In this regard Keto wins hands-down every time.

^ please substantiate that claim. Ideally both protein and cal intake will be held constant between groups
    most of the carbs people seem to be "addicted" to and whatnot seem to be of this mix...i've yet to here about black beans giving anyone crazy cravings...
    Black beans have protein and tons and tons of fiber -- not a carb anywhere close to chips or pizza.
    100 grams of black beans (measured raw) would be 341 calories, of which 248 calories (or 72%) are from carbs, and 88 calories or 26% are from protein. Much more carby, really. That you'd say it's less of a "carb" than foods that are much higher in fat and lower in carb percentage is interesting and shows how the term "carb" gets so misused in these discussions, as if it meant "junk food." When, of course, fruits and vegetables are classic carbs.
    Exactly. My diet is 80% carbs because I now eat lots of beans, lentils, whole grains, potatoes, veggies and fruits and very very little junk/processed food. I go well over 300g carbs almost daily, and at 125 lbs, I'm almost done losing weight. And yet, these are healthy whole foods that a low-carber would have no choice but to avoid or limit themselves to non-starchy veggies only. This is the problem with fixating on macros instead of whole foods and nutrient density. Glad I got off that low-carb bandwagon. It was a complete waste of time and compared to what I eat now, much less healthy.

Oh, and I should add that my most recent fasting blood glucose was 70 (normal range should be 65-99).
    That's for those who still think that somehow carbs cause your blood glucose and insulin to do something other than what they're supposed to do, which is to behave normally.

wait, you eat 80% carbs (that I guess is possible only going vegetarian) and are not "fixated" on macros? :smile:
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I started on a ketogenic diet about 5 days ago, and hungry is one thing I'm not. Maybe you haven't eaten enough fat to compensate for energy you're not getting from carbs. I feel a little lightheaded, and I'm guzzling water to keep up with the water I'm losing, but my energy level for exercise is through the roof. I've been testing my ketones and I'm definitely in ketosis. This is supposed to help me with chronic pain. I don't know if I would cut back this far on carbs just to lose weight. So far, I still have pain, but my mood is awesome.

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

wait, you eat 80% carbs (that I guess is possible only going vegetarian) and are not "fixated" on macros? :smile:
    Yes, I focus on whole grains, legumes, tubers, fruits, veggies, nuts. Then when I plug them into a tracker, it just so happens to be very high carb because it's mostly plants. So I don't start with a macro setting in mind and then eat based on that. I select the healthy foods and variety I want and then let the macros fall where they may.
  • Traveler120
    edited September 2015
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

Isn't a combination of the essential macro nutrients of fats & proteins making up only 20% of your calories? It sounds like you are only getting 300 calories a day in fats & proteins. Something like 20gr fat and 30gr protein? That doesn't sound like an example that should be shown to others. You may want to review the basis for your diet and monitor your long term health very closely.

Only time will tell, my bro lived on a fifth a day for quite a while. Until he didn't.
    No, I aim for at least half my ideal bodyweight in lbs for protein. That's 60g minimum but I routinely get at least 70g, and 280 cals which is about 15% of my 1700-1800 cals/day. I eat a handful of nuts several times/week and keep added oils low (empty nutrient-less calories), so this makes fat around 5-10% at most. Works for me.

And if you think that the protein is low, it's not. My labs show perfectly normal serum protein. It's also funny that you suggest my diet is not a good example to others and my long term health is at risk when what I'm eating is mainly unprocessed whole grains, potatoes, beans, lentils, fruits, veggies and nuts. Yes, very unhealthy indeed! Please check with your doctor before embarking on such a radical diet. lol
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I think that this is just an assumption being made without enough information. just because the carbs are 80%, doesn't mean that the protein and fats are only in the remaining 20%. There's always an overlap with macros. Carb sources also include the other macros and can fulfill them easily.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I hope you won't also be exercising low carb. Carbs are not bad.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Many people do fine on low carb while exercising, even keto. But generally, iirc, you have to wait until your body changes energy sources.
  • umayster
    edited September 2015
    Options

No, I aim for at least half my ideal bodyweight in lbs for protein. That's 60g minimum but I routinely get at least 70g, and 280 cals which is about 15% of my 1700-1800 cals/day. I eat a handful of nuts several times/week and keep added oils low (empty nutrient-less calories), so this makes fat around 5-10% at most. Works for me.

And if you think that the protein is low, it's not. My labs show perfectly normal serum protein. It's also funny that you suggest my diet is not a good example to others and my long term health is at risk when what I'm eating is mainly unprocessed whole grains, potatoes, beans, lentils, fruits, veggies and nuts. Yes, very unhealthy indeed! Please check with your doctor before embarking on such a radical diet. lol

Not protein, fat.

The USDA recommends that healthy adults over the age of 19 consume between 20 and 35 percent of their daily calories from fat

And that is from an organization with systemic fat phobia.
  • Traveler120
    Options

Not protein, fat.

The USDA recommends that healthy adults over the age of 19 consume between 20 and 35 percent of their daily calories from fat

I thought this thread was about carbs...

Ok then, here's what the American Heart Association recommends on fat:
    Limit saturated fat and trans fat and replace them with the better fats, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. If you need to lower your blood cholesterol, reduce saturated fat to no more than 5 to 6 percent of total calories. For someone eating 2,000 calories a day, that’s about 13 grams of saturated fat.
    And as we know, heart disease is America's #1 killer. I want to keep my cholesterol low and follow the AHA recs. I get my good fats from nuts and seeds, keep saturated fat absolutely low and given the above recommendations, looks like I'm doing a bloody good job.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Not protein, fat.

Limit saturated fat and trans fat and replace them with the better fats, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. If you need to lower your blood cholesterol, reduce saturated fat to no more than 5 to 6 percent of total calories. For someone eating 2,000 calories a day, that’s about 13 grams of saturated fat.
    And as we know, heart disease is America's #1 killer. I want to keep my cholesterol low and follow the AHA recs. I get my good fats from nuts and seeds, keep saturated fat absolutely low and given the above recommendations, looks like I'm doing a bloody good job.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/The-American-Heart-Associations-Diet-and-Lifestyle-Recommendations_UCM_305855_Article.jsp

Hmmm replace saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats - no thank you.

I think science is eventfully catching up!

The statement should be the reverse !
  • Traveler120
    edited September 2015
    Options

Not protein, fat.

Hmmm replace saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats - no thank you.

I think science is eventfully catching up!

The statement should be the reverse !
    My cholesterol was higher when I was eating higher fat. And now it's getting lower with lower fat. That's all the science I need. Of course, everyone reacts differently and they should do what works for them.
  • umayster
    Options

Not protein, fat.

AHA recommends 25-35% of calories as fat.

Seriously, you can eat any way you want. But just like a 900 calorie diet, do not present your diet as healthy for anyone else.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Seriously, you can eat any way you want. But just like a 900 calorie diet, do not present your diet as healthy for anyone else.

I wish a lot of people would take that advice.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Not protein, fat.

And he never did, just as an alternative to those who have been arguing that a low carb diet is necessary.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

Many people do fine on low carb while exercising, even keto. But generally, iirc, you have to wait until your body changes energy sources.

It took all of about 12 hours for my body to change energy sources, maybe because I was already eating a lower carb diet. It's fine with me if people want to eat high carb diets and find that it works for them. Since I started eating very low carb, and testing positive for ketones, I've been working harder when I do cardio, not running out of energy after 30 minutes or feeling like I just don't want to go to the gym. Low energy days were something I had a lot more of when I was eating more carbs. (And, whatever anyone else's experience, I might have felt more full eating carbs, but I feel more satiated eating fat. I'm a little concerned that I might not eat enough).