craving thoughs sweets!

Options
Trying to resist eating anything sweet! Anyone know a good substitute to kick this craving?!

Replies

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Sweet foods are not bad, per se... unless you are regularly overindulging on high calorie cookies and brownies at the expense of more nutritious foods like broccoli and carrots.

Maybe try developing your palate and learning to appreciate bitter (the opposite of sweet). It might be difficult at first, but once you crave bitterness, you will dislike sweet foods more and more. Another tactic is Babysteps... i.e. instead of 4 sugars in your coffee, try 2 sugars and 1 splenda... then move to 1 splenda... then to black with nothing added.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Satisfy your craving by eating the thing you are craving within the confines of your calorie and macronutritional limits/goals.
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Usually eating sweets results in eating more sweets and big trouble, so for me it's best if I just don't get started. I usually eat some fruit with every meal to help. If I absolutely must have sweets, I get the smallest portion I can find, like a mini size candy bar. Good luck!
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    192736-thumb.jpg

Stephen Colbert feels your pain.
  • TinyTexn59
    TinyTexn59 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have found it helpful to curb my sweet cravings by drinking lemon water. Something about the lemon stops the craving for me.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'll have a small portion that fits in my calories or I'll have some fruit. Try to understand why you're craving it. Last time I craved something sweet I was away on business and had had a bad night sleep. A walk, some water and a small pot of fruit helped.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Switching to a low carb high fat diet worked for me.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Are you going to suggest this fad diet in every thread you visit?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Are you going to suggest this fad diet in every thread you visit?

She asked for ideas and i told the OP what worked for me. Moderation was a complete failure for me so I moved on.

So yes, I probably will.
  • boydljodi
    boydljodi Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    xtrain321 wrote: »
    Usually eating sweets results in eating more sweets and big trouble, so for me it's best if I just don't get started. I usually eat some fruit with every meal to help. If I absolutely must have sweets, I get the smallest portion I can find, like a mini size candy bar. Good luck!

This is my problem. I was told once if im craving something just eat it or else il completely crap out on the entire diet eventually if i dont. Not sure how true that is.
  • strangesoul79
    strangesoul79 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If I have a craving that I can't get past I get what I want and subdue it. If you don't once you do get it you have a tendency to over indulge in it. If I am just craving sweets in general a spoonful of peanut butter will usually do the trick.
  • boydljodi
    Options
    If I have a craving that I can't get past I get what I want and subdue it. If you don't once you do get it you have a tendency to over indulge in it. If I am just craving sweets in general a spoonful of peanut butter will usually do the trick.

Peanut butter! Great idea thanks! :)
  • hayleycharper
    hayleycharper Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    boydljodi wrote: »

Peanut butter! Great idea thanks! :)

When I have a sweet craving I have a teaspoon of almond butter. Works wonders for me :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If it's just a sugar craving, honestly, I love a good crisp apple.

Otherwise, if it's something specific, for me nothing else will do... so I have some of it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if it fits, eat it!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    xtrain321 wrote: »

This is my problem. I was told once if im craving something just eat it or else il completely crap out on the entire diet eventually if i dont. Not sure how true that is.

If you are able to moderate your intake, there's nothing wrong with that approach. But if you are unable to do it, not eating it is fine as well. There is nothing wrong with not eating something that you do not find benefits your or your goals.

I find getting more fat in my diet helps, but I also keep an eye on carbs. If I'm low (as in lower than normal for me) for a few days, I find I have a lot of cravings and that could be disastrous, so I try to keep my numbers on target. It works for me.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I'm wondering if you legit used "thoughs" instead of "those"....

I eat ice cream for my sweet tooth!
  • boydljodi
    Options
    Listen. Not everyone is master of the spelling bee. Before you are quick to judge and snap at someone for there spelling think there maybe a reason they struggle with it and possibly have come a long way by working hard and doing the best. This is an app for weight lose help and motivation and going around pointing out flaws in people isnt very help for to anybody. Its just rude.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I find if I don't eat sweet stuff my craving goes away and if I do eat sweet stuff my cravings intensify. Just my experience. Other people do better with a "eat a little bit of it" strategy, but this doesn't work for me. I think you have to try and see what works best for you to stay in your calorie range for losing weight (if that is what you want to do). What also helps me is to eat higher protein/fat and eat every few hours (3 hours or so). Getting hungry makes it harder for me to stick to my calorie macro. You have to see what works best for you. There is a lot of variety in approaches and different things work for different people, which isn't surprising given the age/genetic/environment/emotional differences between all of us. Another thing that works for me is exercise -- tends to reduce my sweet stuff craving. And once I figured out a strategy that works for me, it got easier over time. First few days the hardest.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Listen. Not everyone is master of the spelling bee. Before you are quick to judge and snap at someone for there spelling think there maybe a reason they struggle with it and possibly have come a long way by working hard and doing the best. This is an app for weight lose help and motivation and going around pointing out flaws in people isnt very help for to anybody. Its just rude.

I assume you were meaning to respond to me. I didn't "snap" at anyone. But you are right, I never really thought that you could be struggling.

Additionally, I'm not really diggin' the accusation that I "go around pointing out flaws in people". I admit that I was being a little insensitive.