I think I will just QUIT! This is nonsense...

Options
1235»

Replies

• Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    So I just weighed & measured myself and decided that whatever I'm doing is unfortunately NOT working for me. There is no point in my busting my *kitten* at the gym 6 days a week doing cardio when I am seeing no results. I have GAINED weight since last week. I was given advice that I need to up my caloric intake to lose weight and so I did. I ate 1200 calories, give or take, per day and I noticed that my weight has gone up. After measuring myself, I found out I only lost 1 inch off of my *kitten* in 2 months of exercising. This eventually lead me to tears and I am re-thinking my weight loss overall. What is the point, I only lost 5 pounds in a frickin month busting my *kitten* literally EVERY day- a lot then most people do that actually lose weight. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm very disappointed as well as discouraged. It just makes me mad that I put all of this effort into this weight loss and my body isn't answering to it. I thought that it was muscle but it's not since it's only 1 fricking inch off my waist. That is ridiculous. I see no point in continuing exercising further as the results are nonsense.
    Hi Jesse,
    You have lost an inch in one week? That's damn good!!! And plus, by your stats, you have not so much to lose left, and it's always always harder to get that last bit off. Your expectations may be too high. Looks to me you are doing just fine!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    5 pounds in a month is a nice, slow sustainable loss. What's the rush?
  • Siegel15
    Options
    Another point- My weight was always 123-125. I gained weight my last year in college and I just don't feel comfortable with these few extra pounds.

I understand how you feel, but you also have to take into consideration that in your early 20s, it's normal for your body to develop and change.

I was 110 pounds (at 5'5) from my teenage years up until my mid-20s, and I had a very very slender, "girlish" body. I gained about 15 pounds and suddenly had hips and *kitten*. In retrospect, I now think looked better with a few extra pounds, but at the time, I felt like, "Hey... wtf? Where did these hips come from? Why don't my pants fit?!" But it was just normal changes. It's why misses' clothes are cut differently than juniors.
    Exactly. I was 118 at age 18. In college 22, I was 125 and looked the same. At age 33, I was 132 and STILL looked the same. Your body is still solidifying. Your muscle mass will increase and your bones will become more dense.
  • Siegel15
    Options
    According to the BMI Index, a girl that is 5'8 should weigh between 126-154 lbs. You weigh just that, and the BMI Index is seen normally as on the low side of the spectrum. I'm not sure what your reason is for losing weight, but you ARE at a natural and healthy weight.

I would say that you're not losing anymore because it's unnatural for your body to do so. On top of that, you're not eating nearly enough calories if you're working out everyday. Please take care of yourself.
    Jesse, this sounds right. It could be you have no more to lose, so your body is telling you "I'm done now!".
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are doing great! I only lost 5 pounds this month and I have a looong way to go still, but I'm still proud of it.I think it may be time to focus more on weight training and less cardio.Slow and steady wins the race :)
  • Siegel15
    Options
    1200 calories is WAY TOO little! You are causing metabolic damage!! Stop the cardio and start lifting weights and by all means EAT MORE!!!
    Good advice!
    Veronica, you look AWESOME!!!!
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Okay, I didn't read any of the previous responses; however...

If you're willing to try something different, my suggestion is to start lifting heavy weights. With enough protein and proper nutrition, you can keep the muscle you have while getting rid of fat. I used to just run run run, and I lost weight, but a lot of it was lean muscle mass. I found that I was still fat with a 19.0 BMI.

I started lifting weights in March of this year. My weight has not changed, but I am consistently losing inches and getting stronger every day.

If you're interested, find a copy of New Rules of Lifting For Women by Lou Schuler. This book is really comprehensive-- it explains what weight lifting does to our bodies, the benefits it has to our health, the importance of nutrition coupled with strength training, why what you're doing is a waste of time and energy (no offence... I've been there!)... Basically, it's a really good starting point for someone who is curious about weight lifting.

As for an actual weight lifting program, I'd recommend Stronglifts 5 x 5 (available online) over New Rules of Lifting for Women. Stronglifts focuses strictly on weight lifting. Good luck with whatever you choose to do :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! It doesn't matter if you're thinner then someone who needs to lose 100 + it's frustrating when you get toward the end and things really slow down. I finally hit my goal 2 weeks ago. But those last 5-10 lbs were a b!tch to get off. I still fluctuate between 5 lbs. Being a woman younger woman our bodies will fluctuate water weight. Just keep at it, I know there have been times I wanted to give up. At first the weight seemed to just melt off but I was over 100 pounds over weight, I get to the average weight for my height and everything started to slow down, I didn't think I'd ever make my goal. You can and you will if you keep pushing. If you go a month without losing anything, you may need to change things up.
  • kimbtaylor1
    kimbtaylor1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    So I just weighed & measured myself and decided that whatever I'm doing is unfortunately NOT working for me. There is no point in my busting my *kitten* at the gym 6 days a week doing cardio when I am seeing no results. I have GAINED weight since last week. I was given advice that I need to up my caloric intake to lose weight and so I did. I ate 1200 calories, give or take, per day and I noticed that my weight has gone up. After measuring myself, I found out I only lost 1 inch off of my *kitten* in 2 months of exercising. This eventually lead me to tears and I am re-thinking my weight loss overall. What is the point, I only lost 5 pounds in a frickin month busting my *kitten* literally EVERY day- a lot then most people do that actually lose weight. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm very disappointed as well as discouraged. It just makes me mad that I put all of this effort into this weight loss and my body isn't answering to it. I thought that it was muscle but it's not since it's only 1 fricking inch off my waist. That is ridiculous. I see no point in continuing exercising further as the results are nonsense.

Don't give up. It took a while to put it on and it will take a while to get it off. Heck it took me about three months to loose my first 10! I can't tell you what anything was before that because I refused to let myself onto a scale for that time. Just remember it is a journey and sometimes you will have plateaus, go up hill and down hill.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Unrealistic expectations. 5 pounds in a month is a good result.
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

ummm, you have body image issues(normal for women)...you have a body most women would kill for. you don't need to lose weight...you almost have the beginning of a six pack. because you are already in such good shape cutting the fat will be extremely hard and really not needed unless your goal is fitness competition. unless that's your goal...i think you need to sit down and talk to a professional about why you feel you need to lose weight when you are already looking pretty darn healthy. You look like a barbie doll almost.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Right now I'd kill for 5 pounds a month. Your doing great
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm almost identical in measurements... except that I'm 40. I weight train with cardio 4x a week, and lifting heavy REALLY changed things. I sat at 136 for a solid three months, but I was at 1500 calories and eating back exercise calories when I could. Switching that to TDEE -20% gave me 1700 calories, with 120g of protein a day broke that plateau and I've lost 3 pounds in 2 weeks. *THANK YOU GUYS!!!!* You may need to eat more, and/or check out Eat, Train, Progress. And I also suggest the heavy lifting if you can add it in. That has made a HUGE difference in the last 6 months, especially in how I feel overall.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

That's the spirit...for sure you'll have great success whatever you do with that attitude...awesome!
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Telling a thin woman to not give up is like telling a fat man he should belly up to the all you can eat buffet.

Seriously, you're thin already and wanting to lose more weight doesn't make sense. If you want to tone your current frame, then that is a different story.

This is why women have such bad body images and models eat cotton balls to fill their stomachs rather than good food.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    really???

my exact thoughts...1.25 lbs a week is a good loss. I am good with .5lb a week.

I don't get why people insist on weight loss as the ultimate. Think about this 1lb of muscle takes up less space then 1lb of fat. There is a pic I sent to my sister who is obsessed with the number on the scales. The girl in the pic showed 3 shots. 123, 127 and 135. She was smaller at 135 due to her muscle.

And last but not least....I am 5'7 and weight 178 (well that was last time I got on the scale) and I wear a size 10 (US) and it's loose. My goal maybe a size 8 but fit and firm. After that it's all gravy even if I still weigh 178.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I think you should just give up. You can't do it anyway.

Seriously...5 pounds in a month is immensely good for someone who doesn't have much weight to lose. Stop doing so much cardio and add some strength training, you might not lose pounds, but you will lose inches and your clothes will fit better. I agree with others that 1200 calories for someone exercising so much is not enough.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I find a positive attitude and willingness to listen to good advice to be somewhat helpful