shy runner

Options
Hey guys I'm wanting to take it to the next level and start running I was wondering if you had any tips for me on that and also I'm a bit neverous to go running out in public . I'm shy about sweating and being red faced around others because of my weight .....

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    No one really cares if you're out and running...
  • aineqt
    aineqt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That wasn't very helpful
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I had these same concerns when I first started. Running outside made me feel like every person in the world was staring at me. But eventually, that goes away. No real trick for what it was, I just got in the zone and did my thing, and eventually it wasn't a concern anymore.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    No one really cares if you're out and running...
    Pretty much...
  • aineqt
    Options
    Thanks
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    aineqt wrote: »
    That wasn't very helpful

Well that's it.

You either get out there and do it, or you don't. It's as simple as that.

As I said, no one really cares if you're running out in public.

• aineqt
    Options
    I know no one cares I ment any tips to over come being paranoid about it
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options
    I know no one cares I ment any tips to over come being paranoid about it

Then go out there and do it.

• ubxmonster
    ubxmonster Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What do you think when you see an overweight person out running and sweating? I personally think they're awesome, so I pretend that's what everyone thinks of me. :-)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    no one cares. its the truth.
    I'm not good at running but i run in the morning so there are only a few of us out and about. we give each other head nods. one guy saw me struggling as he passed and said "keep it up"
    i find the running community to be very supportive of each other
    try clinics to help you learn good form and nutrition and to keep it fun
    get good shoes after your gait is analyzed
  • aineqt
    Options
    ubxmonster wrote: »
    What do you think when you see an overweight person out running and sweating? I personally think they're awesome, so I pretend that's what everyone thinks of me. :-)
    Thanks I liked that :p me myself I wouldn't look twice if someone was out running its just where I'm from people are very judgemental without meaning it. Is it better to stretch before or after running ?
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks I liked that :pme myself I wouldn't look twice if someone was out running its just where I'm from people are very judgemental without meaning it. Is it better to stretch before or after running ?

That is the norm I've noticed. You'll get smiles and head nods and any judgment you perceive might just be you're own insecurities - everyone is focused on themselves.

As far as stretching, I always warm up by walking (usually for 5 minutes), do my run, walk to cool down and then stretch after. I know of others who warm up by walking, stretch, and then run. Whatever works for you, I just wouldn't recommend stretching until you've warmed up.

Have fun!
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Do you have specific questions about running? I'm not fast, or graceful and never will be but I've consistently found most other runners to be super accepting! I guarantee that if you nod, wave or say a good morning to people you pass you'll be greeted the same way. The few who didn't are usually in a zone and probably wouldn't notice a polar bear running past. So no worries. :)
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    What I used to do was find the quieter walking paths or paths shared with cycles. I found the cycles made my feel less alone and they were usually going at such a faster speed I could nod and move on without giving it another thought. After a while you'll realize no one is watching you until someone is because you're inspiring them only you'll not notice it because you no longer care.
  • aineqt
    Options
    Thanks you guys
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Thanks I liked that :p me myself I wouldn't look twice if someone was out running its just where I'm from people are very judgemental without meaning it. Is it better to stretch before or after running ?

1) If this is you in the photo, you need to work on your self esteem. You are not "fat" but I suspect you think you are ;)
    2) If you have been bullied, you need to learn to deal with it. Ignore it, confront the bullies, avoid them, but do not let them stop you from doing things you enjoy. Every place has some sort of bully, do not let these people have power over you. The average person really does not care if you run or not, if you are overweight or not. Those who are going to try to make you feel bad, they will find something no matter what you do. Your weight, your height, your hair, your clothes, your attitude. Ignore them.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I'm wanting to take it to the next level and start running I was wondering if you had any tips for me on that and also I'm a bit neverous to go running out in public . I'm shy about sweating and being red faced around others because of my weight .....

We all start with this fear. You're not alone.
    When I first started running outdoors, I'd look at the ground when other runners were approaching so that I wouldn't notice their looks of dismay at my huffing/puffing & red face. As I got more confident and looked around, I saw that no one was looking at me with dismay but with smiles and waves of encouragement. Runners are wonderful when they meet new runners in public. They know how hard it is to get out there and run. They are very encouraging.
    A few runners are concentrating on their own training program and will look through you but they don't mean to be dismissing; they are concentrating on their own thing and don't see you. Don't take that personally. Just wave and keep running.
    I suggest you put your shoes on and go for a run. You'll feel awkward & that's normal but that feeling won't go away until you've got some outdoor miles under your shoes. You're going to do great.
  • aineqt
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • aineqt
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

1) If this LPis you in the photo, you need to work on your self esteem. You are not "fat" but I suspect you think you are ;)

Thank you but that's an old picture I gained about 2 St last year when I was pregnant with my daughter
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @aineqt When I was a fit distance runner 15 years ago and saw a heavy person out there running the only thought that entered my mind was way to go and I applauded them.

When I stopped running and got heavy (105 pounds too heavy) and saw a heavy person out there running the only thought that entered my mind was I wish I was them.

As for your concerns about being red faced and sweaty most runners are. I sweat buckets, always have. It's not an indication of fitness.

Don't let irrational fear stop you from doing something for yourself. Yes, I briefly worried about this but quickly realized that was more B.S. I was telling myself and I refuse to buy my own B.S. and got out there and ran. In short order I was losing a ton of weight and gaining a great deal of fitness and, ultimately, happiness.

Do it. Your future self will be ever so grateful.