shy runner

Options

Replies

• BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yep, just do it, as the saying goes! I suck at running, and I get very sweaty and red and it's just unpleasant to behold. But I have found over the years that truly, no one is looking at me. Everyone else is too busy with themselves and their schedules and kids and dinner plans and getting the trash put out (and probably the other runners are worried about how they look too) to think about you or what you look like while running. And honestly, when I see anyone, especially someone overweight, out running and sweating and getting all red, I think... "Good for you. Go get em!!" Because they are DOING IT. And that's what it takes. Doing it and getting sweaty and red. It's a badge of honor.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Also, I used to worry what people thought about my speed (read: lack thereof) while I was running. I am the slowest. Ever. Literally, ever on the planet. But then I tell myself, for all anyone else knows, I'm on mile 26 right now. :smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    While the following link is to an article which is about concerns for running "slow", I think it would help answer some of your fears.

http://runnersconnect.net/coach-corner/so-what-youre-a-slow-runner/
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    Also, I used to worry what people thought about my speed (read: lack thereof) while I was running. I am the slowest. Ever. Literally, ever on the planet. But then I tell myself, for all anyone else knows, I'm on mile 26 right now. :smiley:

This made me laugh because I have the same thoughts about my slowness. I'm the slowest runner ever. LOL! Just goes to show that we're all alike under our sweat and red faces. :smiley:
  • JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way as OP about running in public. I don't like it. People can say "no one cares," but it's not about people. It's about me. I don't like it. So ... I run in the evening, and I love it. It's cooler and quieter. Peaceful. I'm usually heading out about 9PM or so. I've discovered that running in the evening is much the same thing as running early in the morning, but without all the "morning" (I'm absolutely no good at getting up earlier than I have to).

I also chose a route that follows "back-roads" that do not have a lot of traffic ... I spend very little time on main roads. As a bonus (from a "mental health" perspective), I'm learning to deal with my irrational fear of zombie attacks in the woods at night.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling the same way as OP about running in public. I don't like it. People can say "no one cares," but it's not about people. It's about me. I don't like it. So ... I run in the evening, and I love it. It's cooler and quieter. Peaceful. I'm usually heading out about 9PM or so. I've discovered that running in the evening is much the same thing as running early in the morning, but without all the "morning" (I'm absolutely no good at getting up earlier than I have to).

I also chose a route that follows "back-roads" that do not have a lot of traffic ... I spend very little time on main roads. As a bonus (from a "mental health" perspective), I'm learning to deal with my irrational fear of zombie attacks in the woods at night.

I would not advise this for a woman unless you can run with a big dog. Or carry pepper mace.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    99% of people won't notice. I see people when I'm walking or when I'm driving down the street, but I can't tell you anything about them, if they were fat or skinny or fit or tall or short or whatever. I know I feel self-conscious myself, but I've found that listening to music or Zombies Run takes my mind off what others might be thinking and I do a lot better.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    If hiding from public works for someone, but at least they get out, then all the more power to them.

But if an irrational fear makes it difficult to find a spot in your daily schedule to run, then clearly that's not something that can stand and working on the root problem is called for, rather than seeking a work around.

Less seriously, here's another solution: run with a dog. People always look at the dog.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    I am a people watcher... most emu's are... anyway... I can see the most beautiful woman on the planet... then *poof*...a minute later I will have forgotten she ever existed... people don't commit each other to long term memory especially if no words are ever exchanged... any judgement you FEEL... is just karma... you feel judged because YOU judge... so... be more forgiving... and that "paranoia" will simply cease to exist...

as for pre-run ... always stretch... lower body... legs, calves, thighs, hammies... then... do a set of sit ups and push ups... to tighten up the core and keep things in place when you hit the trail...

don't let your insecurities hold you back... be brave... be strong... THAT is why you are doing this in the first place right? so you can be brave... so you can be strong... so you CAN stand out for the right reasons??? SO... just do it... (sorry Nike) ... so says the Emu
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

I would not advise this for a woman unless you can run with a big dog. Or carry pepper mace.

I run by myself in the dark on back roads all the time. I think women can mostly judge whether the areas they live in are likely to be dangerous or not. I certainly am not going to limit the activities I can do based on an unfounded paranoia about potential attacks. I don't run the same route at the same time every day, and that is enough risk-management for me.

OP: it's better to stretch after running.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @aineqt , I'm not terribly shy but I'm an introvert. I started out turtle slow, too. I'll tell you what worked for me. I attended a Learn to Run class at my local RunningRoom store, so I was in with a whole bunch of noobs. We ran together. I have to say, for an individual sport, veteran runners are unfailingly helpful. You see, we've all been on that lonely road and it's the toughest thing in the world to keep going when it's just you and the road. They did it so kindly, too, casually asking if they could run alongside, checking if I am out of breath, and offering small tips.

Every time I have gone on an event run since, a veteran runner has come and checked on me and the other noobs to make sure we are doing OK, and cheering us on when we finished.

When I am out on the public road, my chief concern these days is that I don't get run over. So I'm rather fond of being noticed, by way of reflective gear. People who don't exercise I can guarantee are envious of your tenacity. Veteran runners know what you are facing and are cheering you on. Dogs generally are fenced in.

I tell you, the third or fourth time out when you get your first endorphin high, you'll be hooked.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    @litsy3 I think you can outrun most any perp.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    aineqt wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm wanting to take it to the next level and start running I was wondering if you had any tips for me on that and also I'm a bit neverous to go running out in public . I'm shy about sweating and being red faced around others because of my weight .....
    I completely understand! I feel like phoebe off friends when I run (if you don't remember the episode look it up on youtube)
    I feel akward and weird but i'm like a 200 lb woman running, I'm doing it! and you know what? those people sitting there (possibly judging us, possibly not) are NOT running. We are lapping them!
    I also saw a post on good running music I highly recommend rockmyrun app. And I tend to go to the park at a time when I won't have a bunch of "watchers" till i'm more confident. But I want to run a 5k color run so bad!
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Way to go @sashayoung72 !
  • sashayoung72
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Way to go @sashayoung72 !
    Thank you @mwyvr

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've done a color run and a Mud Hero this year. Hubby, who is in charge of laundry, shakes his head. He asks, can't I do a run that doesn't involve getting dirty? LOL.

https://zombiesrungame.com/

sounds way cool.
  • sashayoung72
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I've done a color run and a Mud Hero this year. Hubby, who is in charge of laundry, shakes his head. He asks, can't I do a run that doesn't involve getting dirty? LOL.

https://zombiesrungame.com/

sounds way cool.
    oh my gosh YES!!! I have a running bucket list as goals!!! color, mud, zombies and 80's glow and anything different. Maybe some to help causes, breast cancer, MS etc. we have a runningintheusa.com that lists thousands of races.
  • sashayoung72
    Options
    @jgnatca oh wow how cool is that game!!!! love it!
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    There comes a time when you have a moment. Mine came many years ago, when as a large woman I took a really hard look at myself. Yep there are parts I want to improve on, and other parts I would like gone, but acceptance is just that, looking at the whole package and saying, "Hey Goddess". One sentence sums up total body acceptance- There is perfection in imperfection. I also look at myself in a full length mirror. Not in a stuck up way, but a nurturing, self affirming way. And no I don't have a full length mirror at home, but at an aquatics center. So girl you jog! You jog for the powerful woman you wish to be. You jog for all the ladies in the world that can't. (hows that for a pep talk:-)
  • kirstym1108
    kirstym1108 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Look for a beginner's running group near you, running with others who are in the same boat might help you to feel no-one is looking specifically at you!