shy runner

Options
124»

Replies

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    aineqt wrote: »
    Yeah I went for a run and it was grand until I got back to the street were I live and one of the neighbours stopped and watched me running the whole way until I got to my house ....I didn't appreciate that now. I checked and there is no local running groups so I may ask a friend to go with me, I do prefer to run by myself anyway and there is no school tracks were I live . Thanks for your comments though they were very much appreciated.
    Maybe the neighbor is curious and wants to run to! and great job! glad you went and did it!!!

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I prefer runnig by my self. Me, the outdoors, endorphins, my pace...
    ;-) Again, it makes no differnece what ANYONE ELSE thinks. You are doing this for you. Just you and nobody else but you.

"Yeah I went for a run and it was grand." End of statement. It was grand.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    aineqt wrote: »
    Yeah I went for a run and it was grand until I got back to the street were I live and one of the neighbours stopped and watched me running the whole way until I got to my house ....I didn't appreciate that now. I checked and there is no local running groups so I may ask a friend to go with me, I do prefer to run by myself anyway and there is no school tracks were I live . Thanks for your comments though they were very much appreciated.
    Maybe the neighbor is curious and wants to run to! and great job! glad you went and did it!!!

Yeah, go over there and say politely, "I couldn't help but notice you staring at me as I was running yesterday. Would you want to go and run with me tommorow?"

They will either say, sure or will stop staring at you.

• kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I was the same way two years ago when I started doing the C25K app/program. I live in a subdivision near a wooded area with two lakes and some asphalt trails, parts are near the main street, I can see the backs of houses on some parts as well. This was back when I was morbidly obese. I did the program, managing to avoid the running intervals when people were around. One day, I see a couple up ahead of me, walking their dog. I knew the dreaded "begin running" voice was about to pop up. I decided to suck it up and go for it and ran past them. Only the dog reacted. That was big for me. I got over it, finished the program and now I don't think about it when I run along the street, and/or when there are people out coming in either direction. I walk and run most of the time and have actually had two separate instances where women have stopped their cars, told me they've seen me out there and I'm an "inspiration." (I'm about ten pounds from having a normal weight BMI now). One time a guy in his 20s was out running, we crisscrossed paths a few times and I got a high five and a nod (I'm 51). I'm doing my subdivision's 5K this Saturday. It's definitely worth getting past this obstacle.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @kar328 - Your story is great!

When I see runners of any size, besides getting runners envy, that I'm not out there, I always think "way to go!". But I don't ever stop and say anything or yell because when I'm running I don't like to be yelled at (can't tell if it is positive or not when they are just driving by).

OP - just focus on yourself, ignore every car, wave and smile to every runner you pass. We all look awful running!