• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love veggies too. Since they are carbs, I've never understood why some seem to think they are a benefit of a low carb diet. You can eat lots of veggies without going low carb -- in fact, mine put me over the net carb limit that some seem to think is ideal for keto.

That said, low carb may be a great choice for some for other reasons.

Because it is LOW carb, not NO carb. Green veggies are very low carb, especially if you count net carbs. People doing low carb don't eat many STARCHY veggies, like potato, corn, peas, etc. But broccoli, all kinds of leafy salad greens, peppers, cucumbers, etc...all very low carb. You can eat plenty of them and still stay in keto.

I had two servings of broccoli, one serving of bell peppers, and one serving of Brussels sprouts with dinner tonight, and that TOTALED 11 grams of net carbs. You can easily eat plenty of veggies even in Keto...if you aren't aiming for keto but just doing more general low carb and keeping carbs under 100 or under 150, you can stuff yourself with green veggies and still easily hit those goals.

I love veggies too. Since they are carbs, I've never understood why some seem to think they are a benefit of a low carb diet. You can eat lots of veggies without going low carb -- in fact, mine put me over the net carb limit that some seem to think is ideal for keto.

That said, low carb may be a great choice for some for other reasons
    I believe you are misunderstanding what lemurcat was saying to begin with. She's saying that people tend to think, for some reason, that vegetables are a benefit of eating low carb, and that they are a part of low carb eating to begin with.
    When the truth is each is a stand alone way of eating. Many vegetables contain enough carbs that they are excluded from low carb diets. If people enjoy eating vegetables and want to eat them as a part of eating a low-calorie diet, it's not necessary to include low carb as a part of that. It confuses things even further, in fact, because of the added problem of worrying which vegetables are okay as part of a low carb diet and which aren't.

I've never seen a low carb eater claim eating vegetables is exclusive to low carb diets. Perhaps that's why her post was confusing to me.

And low carb eaters don't "worry" about which vegetables are okay. Anybody eating this way already knows...and if they don't it is extremely easy to find out. What you wrote is the equivalent of saying the added problem of knowing the calorie and macro content of everything you eat makes IIFYM confusing.

I've seen a few posts before where someone going low carb says they're eating much more veggies than before. It's weird.

Why is it weird? In my case, I stopped eating added sugar, bread, pasta, highly processed foods...that leaves a lot more room for other foods. And green veggies are one of the low carb options.
    Green veggies aren't low carb, they're low cal. Percentage wise most of the calories in veggies do in fact come from carbs. Hence why it's weird people write how they suddenly start eating things that are made mostly out of carbs after going low carb.

Green veggies are low carb. People who are deliberately trying to eat low carb typically have a specific carb number in mind. It's not simply percentages. Absolutes matter. Exmple:

The two cups of broccoli I had with dinner last night had 50 calories...it also had 4 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber and only 4 grams of net carbs. 4 grams of net carbs in two cups of food is low carb.

Compare that 4 grams to the number of carbs in two cups of diced potato...which would be about 180 grams of net carbs and 232 calories.

Hmmm...4 vs 180. Both are veggies, but 4 is low carb and 180 is certainly not. Frankly, I don't care how the percentages work out...broccoli is low carb.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Because it is LOW carb, not NO carb. Green veggies are very low carb, especially if you count net carbs. People doing low carb don't eat many STARCHY veggies, like potato, corn, peas, etc. But broccoli, all kinds of leafy salad greens, peppers, cucumbers, etc...all very low carb. You can eat plenty of them and still stay in keto.

I had two servings of broccoli, one serving of bell peppers, and one serving of Brussels sprouts with dinner tonight, and that TOTALED 11 grams of net carbs. You can easily eat plenty of veggies even in Keto...if you aren't aiming for keto but just doing more general low carb and keeping carbs under 100 or under 150, you can stuff yourself with green veggies and still easily hit those goals.

I believe you are misunderstanding what lemurcat was saying to begin with. She's saying that people tend to think, for some reason, that vegetables are a benefit of eating low carb, and that they are a part of low carb eating to begin with.
    When the truth is each is a stand alone way of eating. Many vegetables contain enough carbs that they are excluded from low carb diets. If people enjoy eating vegetables and want to eat them as a part of eating a low-calorie diet, it's not necessary to include low carb as a part of that. It confuses things even further, in fact, because of the added problem of worrying which vegetables are okay as part of a low carb diet and which aren't.

I've never seen a low carb eater claim eating vegetables is exclusive to low carb diets. Perhaps that's why her post was confusing to me.

And low carb eaters don't "worry" about which vegetables are okay. Anybody eating this way already knows...and if they don't it is extremely easy to find out. What you wrote is the equivalent of saying the added problem of knowing the calorie and macro content of everything you eat makes IIFYM confusing.

I've seen a few posts before where someone going low carb says they're eating much more veggies than before. It's weird.

Why is it weird? In my case, I stopped eating added sugar, bread, pasta, highly processed foods...that leaves a lot more room for other foods. And green veggies are one of the low carb options.
    Green veggies aren't low carb, they're low cal. Percentage wise most of the calories in veggies do in fact come from carbs. Hence why it's weird people write how they suddenly start eating things that are made mostly out of carbs after going low carb.

Green veggies are low carb. People who are deliberately trying to eat low carb typically have a specific carb number in mind. It's not simply percentages. Absolutes matter. Exmple:

The two cups of broccoli I had with dinner last night had 50 calories...it also had 4 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber and only 4 grams of net carbs. 4 grams of net carbs in two cups of food is low carb.

Compare that 4 grams to the number of carbs in two cups of diced potato...which would be about 180 grams of net carbs and 232 calories.

Hmmm...4 vs 180. Both are veggies, but 4 is low carb and 180 is certainly not. Frankly, I don't care how the percentages work out...broccoli is low carb.

If absolutes matter then everything is low carb as long as you eat little enough of it.
  • MoiAussi93
    edited September 2015
    Options

Green veggies aren't low carb, they're low cal. Percentage wise most of the calories in veggies do in fact come from carbs. Hence why it's weird people write how they suddenly start eating things that are made mostly out of carbs after going low carb. And it's not like there's no room for veggies in a balanced diet, that's just sillly, you don't have to stop eating half a dozen food groups in order to fit in some veggies. I'm with Lemurcat here. They were just eating suboptimally before they went low carb.

Please tell me who said there is no room for veggies in a balanced diet. I certainly never did, so do not try to be cute and deliberately misinterpret what I wrote. When I was obese I chose to eat junk over more veggies. Yes, that is certainly suboptimal. Could I have also eaten more veggies without eliminating anything? Was there "room"? Maybe, if I wanted to literally eat until sick I'm sure I could have shoved some more veggies down my throat on top of all the junk I was already eating. ...but since I was never so out of control that I ate until I threw up I didn't choose to do that.

When I cut out the crappy high carb highly processed food and was ready to focus on health I still needed to fuel my body. Now...making good choices...I do eat more veggies than I ever did before.

And you could have chosen to eat less of these things and have room for veggies, just like you're now choosing to have veggies (high in carbs percentage wise) instead of more fat.

Yes, so what is your point exactly? I said above I chose to eat what I did. And then I chose to eat differently. I NEVER said you MUST eat low carb to eat a lot of veggies. I said I eat many more veggies now that I eat low carb. Two very different statements.

Oh, and btw, the amount of fat I eat now as a percentage of my total calories is much HIGHER now than it was when I was obese. When obese, I was eating lots of every macro...but carbs CLEARLY dominated my diet...well over half of calories.
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have decided to do something that to most people is not a good idea, but perhaps to others is just fine. For two weeks I am going to restrict my net carbs to 20 grams per day as prescribed in low carb diets such as Atkins.

I have to admit I have been really intrigued by the philosophy that your body will turn to stored fat for energy when the presence of carbs is low.

I have done my due diligence by researching the good and bad of this diet, read up on tips, etc; and will move forward in doing this.

I'll try to keep my results posted per week.

SW: 172
    GW: 130

Cheers
    Andrea

Low carbing did help me lose a lot of weight, I love it and it helps my body feel good.

Can you update on your progress thus far?

I've lost 5lbs since posting this thread. I know it's water, but I am very motivated.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

If absolutes matter then everything is low carb as long as you eat little enough of it.

So you don't believe absolutes matter? I thought that was the whole point behind CICO? Are you actually saying absolutes are irrelevant? I am shocked.
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    hi135 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have decided to do something that to most people is not a good idea, but perhaps to others is just fine. For two weeks I am going to restrict my net carbs to 20 grams per day as prescribed in low carb diets such as Atkins.

I have to admit I have been really intrigued by the philosophy that your body will turn to stored fat for energy when the presence of carbs is low.

I have done my due diligence by researching the good and bad of this diet, read up on tips, etc; and will move forward in doing this.

I'll try to keep my results posted per week.

SW: 172
    GW: 130

Cheers
    Andrea

Low carbing did help me lose a lot of weight, I love it and it helps my body feel good.

Can you update on your progress thus far?

Can she update her progress thus far? Since Sunday??? For reals?

5lbs, lost. Water weight, I know, but still exciting :)
  • stevencloser
    Options

So you don't believe absolutes matter? I thought that was the whole point behind CICO? Are you actually saying absolutes are irrelevant? I am shocked.

I'm saying if you're saying only the absolute numbers matter if something is low carb, then even coke is low carb as long as I have little enough of it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I NEVER said you MUST eat low carb to eat a lot of veggies. I said I eat many more veggies now that I eat low carb. Two very different statements.

The latter still suggests a casual connection -- I eat more veggies BECAUSE I eat low carb.

The truth is that people who eat more veggies do so because they choose to eat more veggies. I ate lots of vegetables (compared with the average American, at least) when I was eating too many calories, and I eat more now, without eating at a particularly different carb percentage (I cut carbs and fat to decrease calories).

I changed the source of vegetables in some cases -- I used to eat lots of vegetarian dishes in the form of Indian take out. These often included lots of non-starchy vegetables along with lots of fat and carbs. Now I eat less of that.

Point is that people who claim a low carb diet has more vegetables in general or will result in increasing vegetables vs. what others do are simply wrong. It's good to increase vegetables (for most people), but that's not a reason to do low carb.

(Again, I'm not saying there aren't reasons to do low carb, but if you ate few vegetables before low carbing that was because you were eating a poor diet, not because your carb percentage was too high.)
  • Thisisit1982
    Thisisit1982 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have done it and it works. Just know that with this weight loss plan you will have to eat low carb for the rest of your life or you will gain the weight back plus more!!! Some people are able to eat this way for life. You may be one of them. I wasn't. I lost 40 lbs in about 2 months and gained 70 back over a year once I started eating high carb again. You have to find out what works for you. Don't let anyone discourage you. On the other hand I have a friend that loss about 70lbs in 10 months on LCD and has kept it off for 3 years so it is working for her. She enjoys the Low carb lifestyle. Good Luck to you
  • MoiAussi93
    edited September 2015
    Options

I'm saying if you're saying only the absolute numbers matter if something is low carb, then even coke is low carb as long as I have little enough of it.

If you want to do low carb and only eat 20 grams a day like the OP is, and want to use that on coke...go for it. A standard single serving bottle of coke has 65 grams of carbs. Sure, have less than 1/3 of a bottle and call it low carb. Of course, if you do that...you can't eat any veggies at all, any dairy at all, any nuts, or even any eggs. But hey, whatever makes you happy...even if it leaves you hungry.

Now, I highly doubt that anybody who claims to eat low carb actually DOES that, but if you want to...I won't argue with you.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I have been diagnosed with diabetes and was told to restrict my carbs, as they turn into sugar in my body. This has worked for me. I have lost 45 lbs. since last October. Always consult with your doctor, before any diet. Best of luck.

They don't turn into sugar in your body. Sugar is a carb.

Yep eddiemac is correct, dietary carbs are converted into glucose.

• tennisdude2004
    Options

Green veggies aren't low carb, they're low cal. Percentage wise most of the calories in veggies do in fact come from carbs. Hence why it's weird people write how they suddenly start eating things that are made mostly out of carbs after going low carb. And it's not like there's no room for veggies in a balanced diet, that's just sillly, you don't have to stop eating half a dozen food groups in order to fit in some veggies. I'm with Lemurcat here. They were just eating suboptimally before they went low carb.

Please tell me who said there is no room for veggies in a balanced diet. I certainly never did, so do not try to be cute and deliberately misinterpret what I wrote. When I was obese I chose to eat junk over more veggies. Yes, that is certainly suboptimal. Could I have also eaten more veggies without eliminating anything? Was there "room"? Maybe, if I wanted to literally eat until sick I'm sure I could have shoved some more veggies down my throat on top of all the junk I was already eating. ...but since I was never so out of control that I ate until I threw up I didn't choose to do that.

When I cut out the crappy high carb highly processed food and was ready to focus on health I still needed to fuel my body. Now...making good choices...I do eat more veggies than I ever did before.

And you could have chosen to eat less of these things and have room for veggies, just like you're now choosing to have veggies (high in carbs percentage wise) instead of more fat.

Yes, so what is your point exactly? I said above I chose to eat what I did. And then I chose to eat differently. I NEVER said you MUST eat low carb to eat a lot of veggies. I said I eat many more veggies now that I eat low carb. Two very different statements.

I too found that when I switched to low carb I paid more attention to my veg, in particular green leafy veg (great source of magnesium and calcium).

Also it became more appealing to me as I cook it in butter with chopped up bacon.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

But you haven't answered my question. Do you truly believe absolutes are irrelevant? Because if you do, that means you believe it doesn't matter how many calories you eat, as long as you keep the right macro percentages. I very much disagree with that.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Looking at my diary: Broccoli (165 g)=11 carbs (but 7 net), 1 g fat, 5 g protein. 56 calories, of which 29 seem to be from non carbs, making 52% of the calories from carbs (granted, low calories).

Potatoes, red (112 g)=78 calories, 18 carbs (16 net), 2 g protein (70 or 78 calories from carbs or 90%).

The numbers are based on the amounts I actually ate with lunch. I also had 56 grams of green beans (12 of 16 calories or 75% from carbs), 114 grams of kohlrabi (27 of 31 calories or 87% from carbs), and 54 cal of carrots (18 of 22 calories or 82% from carbs).

Overall total for lunch is 31 net carbs, about half from the potatoes, the rest from non starchy veg (although I suppose you could say I should avoid kohlrabi and carrots).

With breakfast, add 7 net carbs from non starchy veg and mushrooms (kale, summer squash, and asparagus), plus a whopping 14 from an apple and another 3 from cottage cheese.

So running total for two meals: 22 net carbs from non starchy veg, 16 from potato, 14 from fruit, and 3 from dairy for a total of 55 so far, 40% from non starchy veg alone.

I'll probably have the last of my corn (yes, a grain) plus lots more non-starchy veg for dinner, maybe some melon.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Looking at my diary: Broccoli (165 g)=11 carbs (but 7 net), 1 g fat, 5 g protein. 56 calories, of which 29 seem to be from non carbs, making 52% of the calories from carbs (granted, low calories).

Potatoes, red (112 g)=78 calories, 18 carbs (16 net), 2 g protein (70 or 78 calories from carbs or 90%).

The numbers are based on the amounts I actually ate with lunch. I also had 56 grams of green beans (12 of 16 calories or 75% from carbs), 114 grams of kohlrabi (27 of 31 calories or 87% from carbs), and 54 cal of carrots (18 of 22 calories or 82% from carbs).

Overall total for lunch is 31 net carbs, about half from the potatoes, the rest from non starchy veg (although I suppose you could say I should avoid kohlrabi and carrots).

With breakfast, add 7 net carbs from non starchy veg and mushrooms (kale, summer squash, and asparagus), plus a whopping 14 from an apple and another 3 from cottage cheese.

So running total for two meals: 22 net carbs from non starchy veg, 16 from potato, 14 from fruit, and 3 from dairy for a total of 55 so far, 40% from non starchy veg alone.

I'll probably have the last of my corn (yes, a grain) plus lots more non-starchy veg for dinner, maybe some melon.

That all sounds yummy.

I had some chilli today - 8 carbs.

And some salmon and brocolli and sweetcorn with hoisin sauce - about 30 carbs.

I'm about to have a few glasses of red wine - 2 carbs

What are you planing on eating tomorrow?
  • MoiAussi93
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I NEVER said you MUST eat low carb to eat a lot of veggies. I said I eat many more veggies now that I eat low carb. Two very different statements.

The latter still suggests a casual connection -- I eat more veggies BECAUSE I eat low carb.

The truth is that people who eat more veggies do so because they choose to eat more veggies. I ate lots of vegetables (compared with the average American, at least) when I was eating too many calories, and I eat more now, without eating at a particularly different carb percentage (I cut carbs and fat to decrease calories).

I changed the source of vegetables in some cases -- I used to eat lots of vegetarian dishes in the form of Indian take out. These often included lots of non-starchy vegetables along with lots of fat and carbs. Now I eat less of that.

Point is that people who claim a low carb diet has more vegetables in general or will result in increasing vegetables vs. what others do are simply wrong. It's good to increase vegetables (for most people), but that's not a reason to do low carb.

(Again, I'm not saying there aren't reasons to do low carb, but if you ate few vegetables before low carbing that was because you were eating a poor diet, not because your carb percentage was too high.)

Suggests a causal connection? I'll have to remember that line that next time someone parrots "correlation is not causation". LOL! I don't claim to speak for the entire world, but I do speak for myself. What you infer is just incorrect.

You wrote this:
    I ate lots of vegetables (compared with the average American, at least) when I was eating too many calories, and I eat more now, without eating at a particularly different carb percentage (I cut carbs and fat to decrease calories).
    I have no idea what you are even trying to say. Your statement is not at all clear. You say you eat MORE vegetables with less calories now yet have about the same carb percentage as before...and you cut CARBS and fat to decrease calories. You eat more veggies yet cut carbs? Are you defining carbs as "non green veggie" carbohydrates? Because that's the only way this is possible. That's how many people commonly use the term, but I was under the impression you were one of the people who objected to that and frequently pipe in to tell people veggies are carbs.

And I never claimed a low carb diet has more vegetables in general. And I never see anybody else say that either. If they do, it must be very rare because I haven't noticed it/
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options

That all sounds yummy.

I had some chilli today - 8 carbs.

And some salmon and brocolli and sweetcorn with hoisin sauce - about 30 carbs.

I'm about to have a few glasses of red wine - 2 carbs

What are you planing on eating tomorrow?

Don't know yet. (But I did have a point, of course, which is that non starchy vegetables have a non-insignificant number of carbs, are predominantly carbs (just like the dreaded potato), and may make up a significant portion of someone's overall carb total even if one does not low carb. I am combating the bizarre idea that going low carb makes you eat more vegetables whereas those of us who eat normal numbers of carbs must be mostly eating carbs that are "unhealthy" or not nutrient dense.)
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options

Suggests a causal connection? I'll have to remember that line that next time someone parrots "correlation is not causation". LOL! I don't claim to speak for the entire world, but I do speak for myself. What you infer is just incorrect.

So you don't claim that you eat more vegetables BECAUSE you do low carb? Or that people in general should do low carb in part because they would eat more vegetables? We have no disagreement on that, then. That's all I'm arguing against and what I was responding to (although with the length of the two active low carb threads I am not going to go find the specific post here--they are quite common IME).
    You wrote this:
    I ate lots of vegetables (compared with the average American, at least) when I was eating too many calories, and I eat more now, without eating at a particularly different carb percentage (I cut carbs and fat to decrease calories).
    I have no idea what you are even trying to say. Your statement is not at all clear. You say you eat MORE vegetables with less calories now yet have about the same carb percentage as before...and you cut CARBS and fat to decrease calories. You eat more veggies yet cut carbs? Are you defining carbs as "non green veggie" carbohydrates? Because that's the only way this is possible. That's how many people commonly use the term, but I was under the impression you were one of the people who objected to that and frequently pipe in to tell people veggies are carbs.
    [/quote]

I cut TOTAL carbs as part of cutting calories. I did not cut all carbs and did not say I cut all carbs, so no, I am not defining carbs as non-starchy carbs. I did not cut my carb percentage all that much (I did somewhat since my protein percentage increased).
  • stevencloser
    Options

But you haven't answered my question. Do you truly believe absolutes are irrelevant? Because if you do, that means you believe it doesn't matter how many calories you eat, as long as you keep the right macro percentages. I very much disagree with that.

Absolute numbers are irrelevant if you're trying to put an inherent attribute onto a food (i.e. veggies are low carb food), because as I said, if you're going by just the amount that is in your serving size, everything would be low carb if you adjust the serving size. Coke is low carb! Twinkies are low carb!
    If you were eating nothing but broccoli (yes, I am aware of the irony) your diet wouldn't be low carb. Because veggies are mostly made out of carbs. Eggs are low carb, meat is low carb, regardless how much of them you eat you'll never have high amounts of carbs. Vegetables are not low carb, they're just low in calories so your usual serving size doesn't have a high amount of carbs.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

Absolute numbers are irrelevant if you're trying to put an inherent attribute onto a food (i.e. veggies are low carb food), because as I said, if you're going by just the amount that is in your serving size, everything would be low carb if you adjust the serving size. Coke is low carb! Twinkies are low carb!
    If you were eating nothing but broccoli (yes, I am aware of the irony) your diet wouldn't be low carb. Because veggies are mostly made out of carbs. Eggs are low carb, meat is low carb, regardless how much of them you eat you'll never have high amounts of carbs. Vegetables are not low carb, they're just low in calories so your usual serving size doesn't have a high amount of carbs.

It makes no sense to look at it that way. Just like it makes no sense to say absolute numbers are irrelevant in IIFYM. Absolute numbers ABSOLUTELY do matter. To say otherwise is just silly.