Low Carb Dieting - Induction Phase

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I love veggies too. Since they are carbs, I've never understood why some seem to think they are a benefit of a low carb diet. You can eat lots of veggies without going low carb -- in fact, mine put me over the net carb limit that some seem to think is ideal for keto.

That said, low carb may be a great choice for some for other reasons.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love veggies too. Since they are carbs, I've never understood why some seem to think they are a benefit of a low carb diet. You can eat lots of veggies without going low carb -- in fact, mine put me over the net carb limit that some seem to think is ideal for keto.

Because it is LOW carb, not NO carb. Green veggies are very low carb, especially if you count net carbs. People doing low carb don't eat many STARCHY veggies, like potato, corn, peas, etc. But broccoli, all kinds of leafy salad greens, peppers, cucumbers, etc...all very low carb. You can eat plenty of them and still stay in keto.

I had two servings of broccoli, one serving of bell peppers, and one serving of Brussels sprouts with dinner tonight, and that TOTALED 11 grams of net carbs. You can easily eat plenty of veggies even in Keto...if you aren't aiming for keto but just doing more general low carb and keeping carbs under 100 or under 150, you can stuff yourself with green veggies and still easily hit those goals.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    I'm just starting LCHF. So I need help/advice on where to set my macros for the induction phase. Calorie count as well?

I don't know why I've never tried this before. I love veggies & everything else I've seen in the numerous recipes etc. Hoping to kickstart a significant weight loss. Needing to lose about 70lbs....

You have to calorie count to lose weight...

"kickstart".. You either lose weight or you don't.

No need to kickstart with a diet you're not going to bother sustaining.
    You don't HAVE to calorie count to lose weight. I've lost 100 pounds, and didn't count calories at all for the first 60. Yes, I watched what I ate and made good choices, but I had no real idea how many calories I was actually eating.

You either lose weight or you don't, but there is certainly nothing wrong with getting off to a good start. That is motivating for many people and helps them stick with it until it becomes habit. Not sure why you have a problem with the term kickstart.

And who said she doesn't plan to sustain the diet? And even if she doesn't, she can always switch to another style of eating later. As long as she doesn't eat more than she burns on the new plan, she won't regain anything. You don't HAVE to eat one way for the rest of your life. Everybody is free to switch to something that works better for them after they have lost, or in the middle of their loss. As long as you stick to the new plan, you still will lose or maintain what you have lost.

People get into trouble when they stop doing what works and have no plan to replace it with something else that works. If you just go back to OLD habits, of course you regain. That is true of IIFYM as well. If you stop counting your calories and sticking to those macros, you will get fat.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

Because it is LOW carb, not NO carb. Green veggies are very low carb, especially if you count net carbs. People doing low carb don't eat many STARCHY veggies, like potato, corn, peas, etc. But broccoli, all kinds of leafy salad greens, peppers, cucumbers, etc...all very low carb. You can eat plenty of them and still stay in keto.

I had two servings of broccoli, one serving of bell peppers, and one serving of Brussels sprouts with dinner tonight, and that TOTALED 11 grams of net carbs. You can easily eat plenty of veggies even in Keto...if you aren't aiming for keto but just doing more general low carb and keeping carbs under 100 or under 150, you can stuff yourself with green veggies and still easily hit those goals.

That said, low carb may be a great choice for some for other reasons
    I believe you are misunderstanding what lemurcat was saying to begin with. She's saying that people tend to think, for some reason, that vegetables are a benefit of eating low carb, and that they are a part of low carb eating to begin with.
    When the truth is each is a stand alone way of eating. Many vegetables contain enough carbs that they are excluded from low carb diets. If people enjoy eating vegetables and want to eat them as a part of eating a low-calorie diet, it's not necessary to include low carb as a part of that. It confuses things even further, in fact, because of the added problem of worrying which vegetables are okay as part of a low carb diet and which aren't.
  • MoiAussi93
    edited September 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

I believe you are misunderstanding what lemurcat was saying to begin with. She's saying that people tend to think, for some reason, that vegetables are a benefit of eating low carb, and that they are a part of low carb eating to begin with.
    When the truth is each is a stand alone way of eating. Many vegetables contain enough carbs that they are excluded from low carb diets. If people enjoy eating vegetables and want to eat them as a part of eating a low-calorie diet, it's not necessary to include low carb as a part of that. It confuses things even further, in fact, because of the added problem of worrying which vegetables are okay as part of a low carb diet and which aren't.

I've never seen a low carb eater claim eating vegetables is exclusive to low carb diets. Perhaps that's why her post was confusing to me.

And low carb eaters don't "worry" about which vegetables are okay. Anybody eating this way already knows...and if they don't it is extremely easy to find out. What you wrote is the equivalent of saying the added problem of knowing the calorie and macro content of everything you eat makes IIFYM confusing.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I've never seen a low carb eater claim eating vegetables is exclusive to low carb diets. Perhaps that's why her post was confusing to me.

And low carb eaters don't "worry" about which vegetables are okay. Anybody eating this way already knows...and if they don't it is extremely easy to find out. What you wrote is the equivalent of saying the added problem of knowing the calorie and macro content of everything you eat makes IIFYM confusing.

No, but new people in the forums asking questions about it are often confused about how these things work.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

I've seen a few posts before where someone going low carb says they're eating much more veggies than before. It's weird.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    ahhhhhhhhhh lol thats why i am high carb

i eat lots of fruit and veggies....lots! grin
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

I've seen a few posts before where someone going low carb says they're eating much more veggies than before. It's weird.

Why is it weird? In my case, I stopped eating added sugar, bread, pasta, highly processed foods...that leaves a lot more room for other foods. And green veggies are one of the low carb options.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    You don't JUST lose water on low carb diets. You lose just as much fat as you would on any other diet. In fact, people with insulin resistance, PCOS or certain other issues might find it much easier to lose eating low carb. Also, ketogenic diets have an advantage in terms of body composition since they help prevent muscle loss.

But regardless, even if you do eventually reintroduce higher levels of carb...you might gain back the water weight (just a few pounds!!!) but all the fat will NOT come back. Also, the "and some more" in your reply is just plain wrong.

Ah blanket statements about IR and PCOS, which I happen to have (IR because of PCOS) .. I've lost just fine sticking to nothing more than a caloric deficit, thanks. Doing such a diet would be to help balance a MEDICAL condition, in conjunction with medication, to further assist with controlling the condition. It's also usually monitored by a medical professional such as an endocrinologist along the way. It's not the same thing as "I want to go low carb for a few weeks because I think it's going to 'kickstart' my weight loss".

The point is that this person is not as well versed as she would like to think she is, and to jump into a diet that isn't really intended to be a short-term quick fix is fairly irresponsible. One would imagine as a proponent of low carbing you would prefer that people fully understand what they are doing, not flippantly say "I don't know if it's even going to work".

Relax! Many people with insulin resistance, whether from PCOS or not, do find it easier to lose with low carb. This is hardly a controversial statement, Please note that I said "might" find it easier in my post, so there was no "blanket statement" made. I never said you "must". So please stop being overly sensitive and twisting what was said.

Also, many people without any medical condition prefer low carb...including me. I don't do it to "balance a medical condition". I do it because I just feel better eating this way and it eliminates all cravings.

Also, there is no need for medical supervision on a low carb diet. Obviously, people with specific medical conditions will be regularly seeing a doctor, but because of the condition...not because of the diet.

Finally, there is nothing "irresponsible" about testing out a new way of eating, especially considering that there is nothing harmful in that way of eating. Nobody knows if any eating style will really suit them until they try it. Maybe she won't like low carb, maybe she will. But she won't know until she tries.

The same can be said for somebody trying to eat low fat, or giving up meat, or cutting out added sugar, or experimenting with three large meals a day vs 5 small meals. Give it a try and you will know soon enough if it is for you or not.

Dietary needs are not just a "let's throw things at the wall and see what sticks". My youngest daughter recently decided to go vegetarian (lacto-ovo) for ethical reasons, and I spent days researching her nutritional needs in terms of protein intake and iron absorption. She's 8 years old and still growing, so it's extremely important that she eat properly. It's important for everyone, and nonchalant attitudes and not understanding what you are doing to your body on a rather basic level is irresponsible - a lesson I learned a little too late myself.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    You don't JUST lose water on low carb diets. You lose just as much fat as you would on any other diet. In fact, people with insulin resistance, PCOS or certain other issues might find it much easier to lose eating low carb. Also, ketogenic diets have an advantage in terms of body composition since they help prevent muscle loss.

But regardless, even if you do eventually reintroduce higher levels of carb...you might gain back the water weight (just a few pounds!!!) but all the fat will NOT come back. Also, the "and some more" in your reply is just plain wrong.

Ah blanket statements about IR and PCOS, which I happen to have (IR because of PCOS) .. I've lost just fine sticking to nothing more than a caloric deficit, thanks. Doing such a diet would be to help balance a MEDICAL condition, in conjunction with medication, to further assist with controlling the condition. It's also usually monitored by a medical professional such as an endocrinologist along the way. It's not the same thing as "I want to go low carb for a few weeks because I think it's going to 'kickstart' my weight loss".

The point is that this person is not as well versed as she would like to think she is, and to jump into a diet that isn't really intended to be a short-term quick fix is fairly irresponsible. One would imagine as a proponent of low carbing you would prefer that people fully understand what they are doing, not flippantly say "I don't know if it's even going to work".

Relax! Many people with insulin resistance, whether from PCOS or not, do find it easier to lose with low carb. This is hardly a controversial statement, Please note that I said "might" find it easier in my post, so there was no "blanket statement" made. I never said you "must". So please stop being overly sensitive and twisting what was said.

Also, many people without any medical condition prefer low carb...including me. I don't do it to "balance a medical condition". I do it because I just feel better eating this way and it eliminates all cravings.

Also, there is no need for medical supervision on a low carb diet. Obviously, people with specific medical conditions will be regularly seeing a doctor, but because of the condition...not because of the diet.

Finally, there is nothing "irresponsible" about testing out a new way of eating, especially considering that there is nothing harmful in that way of eating. Nobody knows if any eating style will really suit them until they try it. Maybe she won't like low carb, maybe she will. But she won't know until she tries.

The same can be said for somebody trying to eat low fat, or giving up meat, or cutting out added sugar, or experimenting with three large meals a day vs 5 small meals. Give it a try and you will know soon enough if it is for you or not.

Dietary needs are not just a "let's throw things at the wall and see what sticks". My youngest daughter recently decided to go vegetarian (lacto-ovo) for ethical reasons, and I spent days researching her nutritional needs in terms of protein intake and iron absorption. She's 8 years old and still growing, so it's extremely important that she eat properly. It's important for everyone, and nonchalant attitudes and not understanding what you are doing to your body on a rather basic level is irresponsible - a lesson I learned a little too late myself.

Considering that humans are able to live without eating any carbs at all, there is no harm in a low carb diet. Reducing...but not even eliminating since she is doing LOW carb, not NO carb...something that is not even necessary for survival to a lower level is not irresponsible.
  • lemurcat12
    edited September 2015
    Options

Because it is LOW carb, not NO carb.

I am not suggesting that it's weird to think you can eat non starchy vegetables when low carbing. (You should have read enough of my posts to know that.)

I'm saying it's weird to claim that eating more vegetables is a positive point of a low carb diet. I'd have to reduce my vegetable consumption most days to get to the kinds of net carb numbers that are often tossed around by these same people (20 or 30 net grams of carbs). If the goal is to increase vegetables, there's zero reason to low carb. Just eat more vegetables.

(When this came up another time I counted my vegetables from a pretty average day and had 35. That assumes NO other carbs and also suggests that I would have to worry about my choice of non starchy vegetables and count them carefully. When in fact I think it would be better to increase my vegetables even more.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Check out this very thread and you will see an example. Many people claim they eat better on a low carb diet because they are eating more vegetables or vegetables for the first time. That might be so, but it's not because they are on a low carb diet, it's because they were making poor choices before.

So often people blame "carbs" for their weight gain when if you look at what they were eating it mostly wasn't fruit and beans and vegetables or even whole grains. It was baked goods or highly processed treats. But then they get on a high horse and preach about "carbs" in general being bad for us and others get scared of eating fruit. Fabulous.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Why is it weird? In my case, I stopped eating added sugar, bread, pasta, highly processed foods...that leaves a lot more room for other foods. And green veggies are one of the low carb options.
    Green veggies aren't low carb, they're low cal. Percentage wise most of the calories in veggies do in fact come from carbs. Hence why it's weird people write how they suddenly start eating things that are made mostly out of carbs after going low carb. And it's not like there's no room for veggies in a balanced diet, that's just sillly, you don't have to stop eating half a dozen food groups in order to fit in some veggies. I'm with Lemurcat here. They were just eating suboptimally before they went low carb.
  • dayrupha
    dayrupha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I'm in Atkens diet now .. The old classic one without the bars and there stuff .. It's easy to do only carving for carbs in the first week
    You will lose wight fastly if you do sport

Best of luck
    Dayrupha
  • MoiAussi93
    Options

Check out this very thread and you will see an example. Many people claim they eat better on a low carb diet because they are eating more vegetables or vegetables for the first time. That might be so, but it's not because they are on a low carb diet, it's because they were making poor choices before.

So often people blame "carbs" for their weight gain when if you look at what they were eating it mostly wasn't fruit and beans and vegetables or even whole grains. It was baked goods or highly processed treats. But then they get on a high horse and preach about "carbs" in general being bad for us and others get scared of eating fruit. Fabulous.

And that might very well be true for them. I eat better on low carb partially because I am eating many more vegetables than I used to. But, I am not claiming you must eat low carb to do that. I repeat what I wrote above...I just don't see people claiming that you MUST eat low carb in order to eat more veggies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Green veggies aren't low carb, they're low cal. Percentage wise most of the calories in veggies do in fact come from carbs. Hence why it's weird people write how they suddenly start eating things that are made mostly out of carbs after going low carb. And it's not like there's no room for veggies in a balanced diet, that's just sillly, you don't have to stop eating half a dozen food groups in order to fit in some veggies. I'm with Lemurcat here. They were just eating suboptimally before they went low carb.

More often than not, that is the major issue. Instead of taking a few small leaps, people make huge sweeping changes and then correlate one factor based on the discussion. Its great that people find a solution to achieve a particular goal.

• MoiAussi93
    Options

Please tell me who said there is no room for veggies in a balanced diet. I certainly never did, so do not try to be cute and deliberately misinterpret what I wrote. When I was obese I chose to eat junk over more veggies. Yes, that is certainly suboptimal. Could I have also eaten more veggies without eliminating anything? Was there "room"? Maybe, if I wanted to literally eat until sick I'm sure I could have shoved some more veggies down my throat on top of all the junk I was already eating. ...but since I was never so out of control that I ate until I threw up I didn't choose to do that.

When I cut out the crappy high carb highly processed food and was ready to focus on health I still needed to fuel my body. Now...making good choices...I do eat more veggies than I ever did before.
  • stevencloser
    Options

Please tell me who said there is no room for veggies in a balanced diet. I certainly never did, so do not try to be cute and deliberately misinterpret what I wrote. When I was obese I chose to eat junk over more veggies. Yes, that is certainly suboptimal. Could I have also eaten more veggies without eliminating anything? Was there "room"? Maybe, if I wanted to literally eat until sick I'm sure I could have shoved some more veggies down my throat on top of all the junk I was already eating. ...but since I was never so out of control that I ate until I threw up I didn't choose to do that.

When I cut out the crappy high carb highly processed food and was ready to focus on health I still needed to fuel my body. Now...making good choices...I do eat more veggies than I ever did before.

And you could have chosen to eat less of these things and have room for veggies, just like you're now choosing to have veggies (high in carbs percentage wise) instead of more fat.