Low Carb Dieting - Induction Phase

Options

Replies

• ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Hello,

I have decided to do something that to most people is not a good idea, but perhaps to others is just fine. For two weeks I am going to restrict my net carbs to 20 grams per day as prescribed in low carb diets such as Atkins.

I have to admit I have been really intrigued by the philosophy that your body will turn to stored fat for energy when the presence of carbs is low.

I have done my due diligence by researching the good and bad of this diet, read up on tips, etc; and will move forward in doing this.

I'll try to keep my results posted per week.

SW: 172
    GW: 130

Cheers
    Andrea
    Remember to increase fats-- chicken thighs with skin, nuts, butter, bacon.

Thanks for the tip.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I do LCHF and I will say that it's not a diet, it's a life-long way of eating. Unless you have some specific medical issues, CICO should work. If it's not working, you need to tweak what you're doing. For many people, CICO still applies when on LCHF. Some people can eat more calories, but some can't. I'm one of those that can't. That's not to say that LCHF isn't a good idea. For me, it's great, I've never felt better, I have a lot of energy, and I'll never eat any other way. But that's the point... never eat any other way.

If you don't think LCHF is the way you'd like to eat forever, then you might want to play around with CICO moderating all foods or another diet method to see if that fits your lifelong view a little better. If you want to try it, go ahead. Trying it won't hurt anything. Just realize that the water weight you lose when you cut carbs will come back when you bring them back.

I will suggest that 2 weeks isn't enough. You may or may not be in full ketosis and seeing any weight loss benefits after that two weeks. It varies by individual. You may also not be in ketosis with 50g per day. Some folks can eat 70g, some need closer to 30. I'm one of the "closer to 30g" group. I always suggest a full 4 weeks once you get your carbs to 50g. If you can't just drop to 50 and you need to step down your carbs by 5g every few days, your 4 weeks shouldn't start until you're at 50 or even a little below.

The LCD group link posted earlier is wonderful. There's a LCD Launch Pad with LOADS of info. I suggest you start there and read everything. You might discover something that screams YES! or NO! at you about this WOL. It's not magic and it won't happen quickly once you've lost the water weight. Good luck.
  • CarolynLiggett
    CarolynLiggett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i think if you must have carbs, i think a piece of toast in the morning with butter or 2 slices of whole grain flat bread (same calories as one piece of regular bread) can be used at breakfast, for egg sandwiches and or a side carb. then maybe a half cup of rice or quinoa or lentiles or barley with dinner or in soups is good. not all carbs are the same as not all calories are the same. i was on the attkins diet and i lost 80 pounds. still keeping it off. but i eat carbs as well but i eat the right kind of carbs,, usually the carbs with alot of fiber are the best. very little sugar. but there are times i let myself have even sugary things. its about balance no matter what you eat. protien should be the main thing you look for in your foods, and also fiber patasium and things like this. eat more of the things that generaly have alott of those in it and you'll keep a regular digestive tract and your body will be healthier
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LCHF for a few months, with my carbs low enough (usually under 30g total) that I have been in what the Atkins diet would call induction - nutritional ketosis - the entire time. For me, it has been a great success with lowered blood glucose levels, improvements in autoimmune issues, better skin and hair, and my appetite and carb cravings (compulsion) has really changed so I find it much easier to eat at a deficit and lose weight (2-3lbs per week at first, now at normal BMI it is1-2lbs per week).

I agree that 2 weeks may not be long enough to reap the benefits of the LCHF diet. Many people feel poorly in the first week or two (or four) so giving it a while longer may help. To reduce the discomfort of the keto-flu as you become fat adapted, consider upping your potassium, magnesium, and sodium. I got to the point where I put a teaspoon of sugar in my water every morning; 3000-5000mg of sodium per day is needed.

As the others said, when carbs are reduced, you will lose a lot of water weight, hence the need to up your electrolytes, but I say that it's just fun to enjoy it. I started at 185 pounds at the end of June. I lost 5 lbs in the first week (fun!) and then lost 2 lbs per week after that. I'm now at 160 lbs, a normal BMI, and my loss has slowed to 1-2 lbs per week (eating the same calories). Yes, I'm sure at least 5 lbs is water weight but I don't care. I don't plan on eating a lot of carbs again, so I won't regain that water weight. I hope to hit my goal of 140 early in the new year.

Ditto the others on joining the LCD or Keto group. It's a nice environment. They'll be accepting of you "trying it out" and supportive of a decision to stop if it isn't right for you.

Good luck! :)
  • nvmomketo
    edited September 2015
    Options
    i think if you must have carbs, i think a piece of toast in the morning with butter or 2 slices of whole grain flat bread (same calories as one piece of regular bread) can be used at breakfast, for egg sandwiches and or a side carb. then maybe a half cup of rice or quinoa or lentiles or barley with dinner or in soups is good. not all carbs are the same as not all calories are the same. i was on the attkins diet and i lost 80 pounds. still keeping it off. but i eat carbs as well but i eat the right kind of carbs,, usually the carbs with alot of fiber are the best. very little sugar. but there are times i let myself have even sugary things. its about balance no matter what you eat. protien should be the main thing you look for in your foods, and also fiber patasium and things like this. eat more of the things that generaly have alott of those in it and you'll keep a regular digestive tract and your body will be healthier

I disagree with some of this.

The fats in aLCHF diet can keep some people more regular than fibre ever could; it is very true for me.

The main part of a LCHF diet is fat, and not protein (as a general rule).

The bread, quinoa, or barley would probably be over the upper limit of carbs that would allow someone to be in ketosis (aka induction phase). Most low carbers avoid grains, flours, starrches and sugars so they can still enjoy veggies and some low GI fruit.

shell1005 wrote: »
    Good luck on your plan. You said you did your research, but your posting in this thread indicates that there are still many things about low carb eating that you don't seem very knowledgeable about. That doesn't seem to set one up to have the best chance of success when embarking on a way of eating. I'd spend more time figuring out what this diet is about and why you think it'll be the best for you.

I'd also research side effects of the first stage of keto eating. If you don't know of them....you can't take steps to mitigate them. The induction phase can be pretty gnarly for many people.

Increasing electrolytes should help one avoid the side effects of the first week or so.
  • ajmurray1234
    Options
    2Poufs wrote: »
    I do LCHF and I will say that it's not a diet, it's a life-long way of eating. Unless you have some specific medical issues, CICO should work. If it's not working, you need to tweak what you're doing. For many people, CICO still applies when on LCHF. Some people can eat more calories, but some can't. I'm one of those that can't. That's not to say that LCHF isn't a good idea. For me, it's great, I've never felt better, I have a lot of energy, and I'll never eat any other way. But that's the point... never eat any other way.

If you don't think LCHF is the way you'd like to eat forever, then you might want to play around with CICO moderating all foods or another diet method to see if that fits your lifelong view a little better. If you want to try it, go ahead. Trying it won't hurt anything. Just realize that the water weight you lose when you cut carbs will come back when you bring them back.

I will suggest that 2 weeks isn't enough. You may or may not be in full ketosis and seeing any weight loss benefits after that two weeks. It varies by individual. You may also not be in ketosis with 50g per day. Some folks can eat 70g, some need closer to 30. I'm one of the "closer to 30g" group. I always suggest a full 4 weeks once you get your carbs to 50g. If you can't just drop to 50 and you need to step down your carbs by 5g every few days, your 4 weeks shouldn't start until you're at 50 or even a little below.

The LCD group link posted earlier is wonderful. There's a LCD Launch Pad with LOADS of info. I suggest you start there and read everything. You might discover something that screams YES! or NO! at you about this WOL. It's not magic and it won't happen quickly once you've lost the water weight. Good luck.

Thankyou. I was actually considering going longer for 2 weeks; I am so determined to lose weight and have heard such positive things from people who have adopted this as a lifestyle. But if after 2 -4 weeks I cannot maintain then I will try CICO.

Cheers
  • ajmurray1234
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I've been doing LCHF for a few months, with my carbs low enough (usually under 30g total) that I have been in what the Atkins diet would call induction - nutritional ketosis - the entire time. For me, it has been a great success with lowered blood glucose levels, improvements in autoimmune issues, better skin and hair, and my appetite and carb cravings (compulsion) has really changed so I find it much easier to eat at a deficit and lose weight (2-3lbs per week at first, now at normal BMI it is1-2lbs per week).

I agree that 2 weeks may not be long enough to reap the benefits of the LCHF diet. Many people feel poorly in the first week or two (or four) so giving it a while longer may help. To reduce the discomfort of the keto-flu as you become fat adapted, consider upping your potassium, magnesium, and sodium. I got to the point where I put a teaspoon of sugar in my water every morning; 3000-5000mg of sodium per day is needed.

As the others said, when carbs are reduced, you will lose a lot of water weight, hence the need to up your electrolytes, but I say that it's just fun to enjoy it. I started at 185 pounds at the end of June. I lost 5 lbs in the first week (fun!) and then lost 2 lbs per week after that. I'm now at 160 lbs, a normal BMI, and my loss has slowed to 1-2 lbs per week (eating the same calories). Yes, I'm sure at least 5 lbs is water weight but I don't care. I don't plan on eating a lot of carbs again, so I won't regain that water weight. I hope to hit my goal of 140 early in the new year.

Ditto the others on joining the LCD or Keto group. It's a nice environment. They'll be accepting of you "trying it out" and supportive of a decision to stop if it isn't right for you.

Thanks!
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I am on a high carb
    This because i realize that after my weight loss time and transitioning to maintenance i would eat the same as now.

My advice for everybody is
    Eat now less calories than you burn, but the same as you want for the rest of your live.

in other words, eat a normal balanced diet and lose weight by creating a deficit.
    When you lost your weight you only have to up the calorie intake slowly...no hassle, simple
    And no big lifestyle changes at all.
    That is the easiest, most simple way to also not gain it back afterwards and maintain your weight for the rest of your life.

95069916.png
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This whole weight loss thing is a big practice of trial and error, at an extreme slow pace.. I really hope your experiment produces helpful data =)

Also try to just ignore and forget the "mean girls" on mfp..adults can always get their opinion across while avoiding offending people, and if they cant, I have to assume they're children.
  • ajmurray1234
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Good luck on your plan. You said you did your research, but your posting in this thread indicates that there are still many things about low carb eating that you don't seem very knowledgeable about. That doesn't seem to set one up to have the best chance of success when embarking on a way of eating. I'd spend more time figuring out what this diet is about and why you think it'll be the best for you.

I'd also research side effects of the first stage of keto eating. If you don't know of them....you can't take steps to mitigate them. The induction phase can be pretty gnarly for many people.

Thank you. Contrary to what is said, I actually did research this thoroughly. My posting in this thread was more of a deceleration so that I am now held to what I said I was going to do. It's my way of taking ownership.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    This whole weight loss thing is a big practice of trial and error, at an extreme slow pace.. I really hope your experiment produces helpful data =)

Also try to just ignore and forget the "mean girls" on mfp..adults can always get their opinion across while avoiding offending people, and if they cant, I have to assume they're children.
    That's funny. I always viewed the eggshell feelings people as the children.

I lost 122 pounds in a little over a year. That doesn't seem extremely slow.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thanks!

Ack! I wrote a tsp of sugar in my water instead of salt. Salt! Up your salt. Not sugar... LOL
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options

• arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com

Lots of info such as recipes/ foods/ and the concept of what its all about.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You do realize what will happen once you reintroduce carbs right?

So you've done it before? I haven't so no, I don't know what will happen. I don't even know if this will work.

Cheers

Well when you restrict carbohydrates you drop a lot of water weight.

Reintroduction of carbohydrates means you'll gain that water weight back, and some more.
    Why bother if it's just for 2 weeks? I don't see the point.

Low carbing doesn't make you lose any more fat than restricting calories... weight loss is all about calories.

I still don't see the point in this.

2 weeks is supposed to put your body in a state of Ketosis so your fat stores are used for energy instead of carbs.
    I don't know how this going to work, I just know I have been restricting but w/out the desired results. So.. I'm trying something different.

Cheers

Again, there's literally no point in this. It takes much longer than 2 weeks to become fat adapted. Even so, the reintroduction of carbohydrates will mean you are no longer fat adapted. Also, your body doesn't just use carbs as an energy source in a normal diet...

Just no.
    Dont worry about these type of people. Keto aka LCHF works great, fat and protein are much more filling and really keep hunger pains at bay. Also any "cravings" aka sugar cravings will be gone.

If you want to fat adapt quickly i would recommend doing:
    A 16 hour fast, say 8pm to noon, then try and do a full body depletion workout during the fast. Then eat at a macro split of 80-85% fat 15-20 protein, carbs as low as poss. Just for a day maybe 2.
    This should help with getting into ketosis much faster.
    Remember to keep sodium intake (5000mg/day) and potassium, magnesium up. If not you will probably feel lousy.
    Gl
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
  • threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hear, hear'
  • ajmurray1234
    Options

I love your comment :) Thank you! I hope to provide some interesting data as well. I know as I post updates, i will get those haters, but that's okay.
  • ajmurray1234
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com

Lots of info such as recipes/ foods/ and the concept of what its all about.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You do realize what will happen once you reintroduce carbs right?

So you've done it before? I haven't so no, I don't know what will happen. I don't even know if this will work.

Cheers

Well when you restrict carbohydrates you drop a lot of water weight.

Reintroduction of carbohydrates means you'll gain that water weight back, and some more.
    Why bother if it's just for 2 weeks? I don't see the point.

Low carbing doesn't make you lose any more fat than restricting calories... weight loss is all about calories.

I still don't see the point in this.

2 weeks is supposed to put your body in a state of Ketosis so your fat stores are used for energy instead of carbs.
    I don't know how this going to work, I just know I have been restricting but w/out the desired results. So.. I'm trying something different.

Cheers

Again, there's literally no point in this. It takes much longer than 2 weeks to become fat adapted. Even so, the reintroduction of carbohydrates will mean you are no longer fat adapted. Also, your body doesn't just use carbs as an energy source in a normal diet...

Just no.
    Dont worry about these type of people. Keto aka LCHF works great, fat and protein are much more filling and really keep hunger pains at bay. Also any "cravings" aka sugar cravings will be gone.

If you want to fat adapt quickly i would recommend doing:
    A 16 hour fast, say 8pm to noon, then try and do a full body depletion workout during the fast. Then eat at a macro split of 80-85% fat 15-20 protein, carbs as low as poss. Just for a day maybe 2.
    This should help with getting into ketosis much faster.
    Remember to keep sodium intake (5000mg/day) and potassium, magnesium up. If not you will probably feel lousy.
    Gl
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Thank you for this. Today was my first day eating less than 30 grams of carbs. And I am full. I like your idea though, but expect the one minded commenters to say something about your fasting tip :)
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Np, unless you join the low carb forum you tend to get hate filled nonsense on the main board here, because "it didnt work for them".
    Nothing they can say about the fast it works. Theory is you use up all of the bodies glycogen stores with fast/ workout and forces the body into converting fat to ketones.