Low Carb Dieting - Induction Phase

Options

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    Np, unless you join the low carb forum you tend to get hate filled nonsense on the main board here, because "it didnt work for them".
    Nothing they can say about the fast it works. Theory is you use up all of the bodies glycogen stores with fast/ workout and forces the body into converting fat to ketones.

Right, something like that..I know that I keep my carbs fairly low, because I feel more full off fewer calories by keeping my fat/protein high. Also, I use intermittent fasting where I dont eat between 9pm-4pm, and I feel like it really helps...but, who the heck knows, so far I've just been trying different things, seeing what works, and ditching what doesn't :P
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    This whole weight loss thing is a big practice of trial and error, at an extreme slow pace.. I really hope your experiment produces helpful data =)

Also try to just ignore and forget the "mean girls" on mfp..adults can always get their opinion across while avoiding offending people, and if they cant, I have to assume they're children.

I love your comment :) Thank you! I hope to provide some interesting data as well. I know as I post updates, i will get those haters, but that's okay.

Someone wanting to make sure you are informed (you don't seem to be) and wanting you to know that you don't really need anything outside of CICO isn't bullying or being a hater. Do whatever way you want to to get into a caloric deficit, however people can have a response. The main person being aggressive here about it...is you.

I'd still say you have some reading to do. The questions you were unable to answer upthread are concerning. I did low carb for a while and it isn't something you can just do willy nilly. Good luck to you though.

Wow, you are so far off the mark. Have a blessed day.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    There is nothing hateful in what i said.

Its simple
    you want to go low carb your whole life...do low carb
    Want to go high carb your whole life do high carb

Easy to maintain that way.

I dont see any bullying or hate in this advice!

Good day to you OP
    wish you luck on your journey

95069916.png
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com

Lots of info such as recipes/ foods/ and the concept of what its all about.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You do realize what will happen once you reintroduce carbs right?

So you've done it before? I haven't so no, I don't know what will happen. I don't even know if this will work.

Cheers

Well when you restrict carbohydrates you drop a lot of water weight.

Reintroduction of carbohydrates means you'll gain that water weight back, and some more.
    Why bother if it's just for 2 weeks? I don't see the point.

Low carbing doesn't make you lose any more fat than restricting calories... weight loss is all about calories.

I still don't see the point in this.

2 weeks is supposed to put your body in a state of Ketosis so your fat stores are used for energy instead of carbs.
    I don't know how this going to work, I just know I have been restricting but w/out the desired results. So.. I'm trying something different.

Cheers

Again, there's literally no point in this. It takes much longer than 2 weeks to become fat adapted. Even so, the reintroduction of carbohydrates will mean you are no longer fat adapted. Also, your body doesn't just use carbs as an energy source in a normal diet...

Just no.
    Dont worry about these type of people. Keto aka LCHF works great, fat and protein are much more filling and really keep hunger pains at bay. Also any "cravings" aka sugar cravings will be gone.

If you want to fat adapt quickly i would recommend doing:
    A 16 hour fast, say 8pm to noon, then try and do a full body depletion workout during the fast. Then eat at a macro split of 80-85% fat 15-20 protein, carbs as low as poss. Just for a day maybe 2.
    This should help with getting into ketosis much faster.
    Remember to keep sodium intake (5000mg/day) and potassium, magnesium up. If not you will probably feel lousy.
    Gl
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Isaac was completely right on every single point though.
  • ajmurray1234
    Options
    There is nothing hateful in what i said.

Its simple
    you want to go low carb your whole life...do low carb
    Want to go high carb your whole life do high carb

Easy to maintain that way.

I dont see any bullying or hate in this advice!

Good day to you OP
    wish you luck on your journey

95069916.png

I didn't think your original comment was hateful.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your plan. You said you did your research, but your posting in this thread indicates that there are still many things about low carb eating that you don't seem very knowledgeable about. That doesn't seem to set one up to have the best chance of success when embarking on a way of eating. I'd spend more time figuring out what this diet is about and why you think it'll be the best for you.

I'd also research side effects of the first stage of keto eating. If you don't know of them....you can't take steps to mitigate them. The induction phase can be pretty gnarly for many people.

Thank you. Contrary to what is said, I actually did research this thoroughly. My posting in this thread was more of a deceleration so that I am now held to what I said I was going to do. It's my way of taking ownership.

You do not understand what will happen when you return to eating as normal, and you are unsure if it will even work. That is not indicative of having done adequate research.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    I agree it takes 3 grueling weeks to get there, but you can do it! I'm not sure I'll stay Ketogenic forever, but I'll agree with the person that said setting an upper limit of 100 grams/day max would be best. Hovering in the 70-80 range maybe.....a little more flexible yet still very healthy without fat accumulation. Right now I am at about 10 grams/day.
  • ajmurray1234
    Options
    Good luck on your plan. You said you did your research, but your posting in this thread indicates that there are still many things about low carb eating that you don't seem very knowledgeable about. That doesn't seem to set one up to have the best chance of success when embarking on a way of eating. I'd spend more time figuring out what this diet is about and why you think it'll be the best for you.

I'd also research side effects of the first stage of keto eating. If you don't know of them....you can't take steps to mitigate them. The induction phase can be pretty gnarly for many people.

Thank you. Contrary to what is said, I actually did research this thoroughly. My posting in this thread was more of a deceleration so that I am now held to what I said I was going to do. It's my way of taking ownership.

You do not understand what will happen when you return to eating as normal, and you are unsure if it will even work. That is not indicative of having done adequate research.

I really comes down to what is defined by "normal" eating. I researched where people have chosen low carb as a life style. Unless you have sat in my home and observed what I have done, don't assume I haven't done the research.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

The only thing that is sure to happen is the carbs will cause her to retain water once again, and she will regain that water weight.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

The only thing that is sure to happen is the carbs will cause her to retain water once again, and she will regain that water weight.

I know, right! People always act like if you eat low carb and then switch back to high carb something terrible and drastic will happen and the world will end. LOL! It's so ridiculous.

Yes, people gain a few pounds of water weight, the key words being a few. I've lost 100 pounds eating low carb (though not ketogenic...about to try it though). Sure, I'm sure a few pounds are water, but if I start eating more carbs I'm not going to regain 100 pounds!!! Maybe I'll regain 3 or 4 or 5 pounds of water. Not such a terrible thing if it happened. I would still be 90 something pounds down and a healthy weight instead of obese.

The drama on this board is crazy.

And btw, the quick water weight loss in the first couple of weeks of low carb dieting is very motivational for some people, including me. Seeing fast results really helped me stick with it long enough to make the new eating style habit. A little positive reinforcement in the form of quick weight loss is never a bad thing.
  • tinger12
    tinger12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    While I agree that a low carb "temp diet" can be non-productive, I did something similar for the first two weeks of my weight loss. The reason, to "reset" my mind into what I was eating. When one gets as big as I was there are real issues to deal with. My Doctor suggested doing this for the first two weeks. Yeah I was making trips to the bathroom about three times as frequent as I previously did. But after those two weeks I reintroduced carbs back into my diet and my mind and body were now helping me eat less. It most likely was more a state of mind for me, but I did what it was supposed to do. I now am eating normal again but far less quantity and losing weight.

Tracking and measuring ended up being the key, as many here say. I am down 40 pounds in ten weeks (from 490lbs). I can do things I could not do before and am never hungry. What works for one many not work for the next.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

So you've done it before? I haven't so no, I don't know what will happen. I don't even know if this will work.

Cheers

Reintroduction of carbohydrates means you'll gain that water weight back, and some more.

You don't JUST lose water on low carb diets. You lose just as much fat as you would on any other diet. In fact, people with insulin resistance, PCOS or certain other issues might find it much easier to lose eating low carb. Also, ketogenic diets have an advantage in terms of body composition since they help prevent muscle loss.

But regardless, even if you do eventually reintroduce higher levels of carb...you might gain back the water weight (just a few pounds!!!) but all the fat will NOT come back. Also, the "and some more" in your reply is just plain wrong.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    tinger12 wrote: »
    While I agree that a low carb "temp diet" can be non-productive, I did something similar for the first two weeks of my weight loss. The reason, to "reset" my mind into what I was eating. When one gets as big as I was there are real issues to deal with. My Doctor suggested doing this for the first two weeks. Yeah I was making trips to the bathroom about three times as frequent as I previously did. But after those two weeks I reintroduced carbs back into my diet and my mind and body were now helping me eat less. It most likely was more a state of mind for me, but I did what it was supposed to do. I now am eating normal again but far less quantity and losing weight.

Tracking and measuring ended up being the key, as many here say. I am down 40 pounds in ten weeks (from 490lbs). I can do things I could not do before and am never hungry. What works for one many not work for the next.

Congrats! :)
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com

Lots of info such as recipes/ foods/ and the concept of what its all about.

Cheers

Why bother if it's just for 2 weeks? I don't see the point.

Low carbing doesn't make you lose any more fat than restricting calories... weight loss is all about calories.

I still don't see the point in this.

2 weeks is supposed to put your body in a state of Ketosis so your fat stores are used for energy instead of carbs.
    I don't know how this going to work, I just know I have been restricting but w/out the desired results. So.. I'm trying something different.

Cheers

Again, there's literally no point in this. It takes much longer than 2 weeks to become fat adapted. Even so, the reintroduction of carbohydrates will mean you are no longer fat adapted. Also, your body doesn't just use carbs as an energy source in a normal diet...

Just no.
    Dont worry about these type of people. Keto aka LCHF works great, fat and protein are much more filling and really keep hunger pains at bay. Also any "cravings" aka sugar cravings will be gone.

If you want to fat adapt quickly i would recommend doing:
    A 16 hour fast, say 8pm to noon, then try and do a full body depletion workout during the fast. Then eat at a macro split of 80-85% fat 15-20 protein, carbs as low as poss. Just for a day maybe 2.
    This should help with getting into ketosis much faster.
    Remember to keep sodium intake (5000mg/day) and potassium, magnesium up. If not you will probably feel lousy.
    Gl
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Isaac was completely right on every single point though.

No actually he wasnt.
    When carbs are reintroduced yes water weight will return.
    The " and more" is false and misinformation.
    And given the choice between carbs/ glucose and fat the body prefers and will use glucose/carbs First for energy.
    Nice try though
  • Java1981
    Java1981 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have been doing lchf for a few weeks now and it's definitely a learning process. I haven't lost or gained, but I also haven't been 100%. However, this is a lifestyle that we are looking forward to fully adopting. Right now we're trying different recipes and tracking everything. We don't beat ourselves up if we eat something non lchf because it's a learning process just like life...and we'll get there when we get there. No one should ever feel criticized about trying something new, not every diet or lifestyle works for everyone. Sometimes you have to try them all before you find the one....its kind of like dating.
    So ajmurray1234 you'll find what works best for you...don't worry. The lchf page is super useful and supportive if that's the route you chose to go.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

Cheers

2 weeks? May as well not bother (low carber of many months here).

• BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Java1981 wrote: »
    My husband and I have been doing lchf for a few weeks now and it's definitely a learning process. I haven't lost or gained, but I also haven't been 100%. However, this is a lifestyle that we are looking forward to fully adopting. Right now we're trying different recipes and tracking everything. We don't beat ourselves up if we eat something non lchf because it's a learning process just like life...and we'll get there when we get there. No one should ever feel criticized about trying something new, not every diet or lifestyle works for everyone. Sometimes you have to try them all before you find the one....its kind of like dating.
    So ajmurray1234 you'll find what works best for you...don't worry. The lchf page is super useful and supportive if that's the route you chose to go.

Do you weigh all your food on a food scale. You probably eat at maintenance level.

Losing weight is not about low or high carb its about creating a deficit.
    Low or high carb is just a way of eating, just like vegan or vegetarian.
    But has nothing to do with weight loss...when you eat low carb or like me high carb you wont lose weight when you dont have a deficit.

95069916.png