Low Carb Dieting - Induction Phase

Options

Replies

• rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I did do the whole atkins thing, a very long time ago. It was actually the first 'diet' that I ever lost weight on. I can't remember how long I did it for (under a year), but I lost down to 145lbs. I was very satiated and would have sworn back then that I wasn't eating at a deficit. I can't remember how many carbs I was eating but it was low, under 50. I certainly didn't learn portion control, or how much food I really needed to be 'full' and as time went on I got grouchier and grouchier. I did have to stop eating that way. And I gained it all back!

Today I'm just watching CICO and I'm loosing and loving it. I really didn't even consider going back to low carb EVEN THO it really took care of all cravings....in the beginning.

• honeybee739
    honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by some on the non-supportive comments on here! MFP has always been such a supportive group! Good luck! I tried low carb (for a week! haha!) and lost 3 pounds in that week which is the MOST I've ever lost in one week's time. Yeah, it was probably "water weight" but you don't want water weight either, so it's good! I agree with the guy who said, "The whole weight loss thing is a big practive of trial and error, at an extreme slow pace." Yes. So true and annoying. ha! I also think that I could lose all of the weight I want to IF I could STICK to a low carb diet. But it's really hard for me. One because I love my carbs and don't like to feel like I can't have something, just feeds into me wanting it more and then over-eating and 2 because my husband has no desire to not eat carbs so it's a hassel to try to figure out what I'm eating and what he's eating...SO, calorie counting it is for me. I am trying to eat more "whole" foods because you get more bang for your buck and get eat MORE without going over your limit. Good luck! Hope you see some great results!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having water weight.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    arb037 wrote: »
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com

Lots of info such as recipes/ foods/ and the concept of what its all about.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You do realize what will happen once you reintroduce carbs right?

So you've done it before? I haven't so no, I don't know what will happen. I don't even know if this will work.

Cheers

Well when you restrict carbohydrates you drop a lot of water weight.

Reintroduction of carbohydrates means you'll gain that water weight back, and some more.
    Why bother if it's just for 2 weeks? I don't see the point.

Low carbing doesn't make you lose any more fat than restricting calories... weight loss is all about calories.

I still don't see the point in this.

2 weeks is supposed to put your body in a state of Ketosis so your fat stores are used for energy instead of carbs.
    I don't know how this going to work, I just know I have been restricting but w/out the desired results. So.. I'm trying something different.

Cheers

Again, there's literally no point in this. It takes much longer than 2 weeks to become fat adapted. Even so, the reintroduction of carbohydrates will mean you are no longer fat adapted. Also, your body doesn't just use carbs as an energy source in a normal diet...

Just no.
    Dont worry about these type of people. Keto aka LCHF works great, fat and protein are much more filling and really keep hunger pains at bay. Also any "cravings" aka sugar cravings will be gone.

If you want to fat adapt quickly i would recommend doing:
    A 16 hour fast, say 8pm to noon, then try and do a full body depletion workout during the fast. Then eat at a macro split of 80-85% fat 15-20 protein, carbs as low as poss. Just for a day maybe 2.
    This should help with getting into ketosis much faster.
    Remember to keep sodium intake (5000mg/day) and potassium, magnesium up. If not you will probably feel lousy.
    Gl
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

"these type of people"... what type?

• IsaackGMOON
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Also there's dozens of people, me including, who will gladly tell you that fat is not filling for everyone.

missing the context of the low carb diet presumably.

Like the context that your body can regulate blodd sugar? Or that we all don't get the same affect/satiety from foods that others do?

still missing the context eh ? Many people and much evidence says LCHF eating is satiating and leads to voluntary low food intake. It's only deniers that bang on about "fat not being satiating to them" - nobody cares, you aren't on the LCHF diet that the claim is made about.

I don't give an expletive about what foods carb addled exercise guys find satiating to them on their high carb excessive protein diets, that's a different context. The title of this thread is a guide to the context of this discussion.

Apparently eating low carb makes you an angry, bitter person toward anyone who believes or eats differently than you. At least that's the example you're setting. Personally, I think low-carb is just another great way to eat at a calorie deficit, and it works quite well for many people who enjoy it. It's not for everyone, but good for some. I don't understand cramming it down everyone's throat, though. Why try to argue it with people who've found some other way?
    Let it go, dude.

NO

YOU WILL DO LOW CARB

AND YOU WILL LIKE IT !!!!!
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Also there's dozens of people, me including, who will gladly tell you that fat is not filling for everyone.

Like the context that your body can regulate blodd sugar? Or that we all don't get the same affect/satiety from foods that others do?

still missing the context eh ? Many people and much evidence says LCHF eating is satiating and leads to voluntary low food intake. It's only deniers that bang on about "fat not being satiating to them" - nobody cares, you aren't on the LCHF diet that the claim is made about.

I don't give an expletive about what foods carb addled exercise guys find satiating to them on their high carb excessive protein diets, that's a different context. The title of this thread is a guide to the context of this discussion.

Apparently eating low carb makes you an angry, bitter person toward anyone who believes or eats differently than you. At least that's the example you're setting. Personally, I think low-carb is just another great way to eat at a calorie deficit, and it works quite well for many people who enjoy it. It's not for everyone, but good for some. I don't understand cramming it down everyone's throat, though. Why try to argue it with people who've found some other way?
    Let it go, dude.

Do you mind to take a step back and read the OP?
    "Hello,

I have decided to do something that to most people is not a good idea, but perhaps to others is just fine. For two weeks I am going to restrict my net carbs to 20 grams per day as prescribed in low carb diets such as Atkins.

I have to admit I have been really intrigued by the philosophy that your body will turn to stored fat for energy when the presence of carbs is low.

I have done my due diligence by researching the good and bad of this diet, read up on tips, etc; and will move forward in doing this.

I'll try to keep my results posted per week.

SW: 172
    GW: 130
    "

She is going to give it a try. So, what's the problem? let it go, dude
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Let it go, dude.

"Hello,

I have decided to do something that to most people is not a good idea, but perhaps to others is just fine. For two weeks I am going to restrict my net carbs to 20 grams per day as prescribed in low carb diets such as Atkins.

I have to admit I have been really intrigued by the philosophy that your body will turn to stored fat for energy when the presence of carbs is low.

I have done my due diligence by researching the good and bad of this diet, read up on tips, etc; and will move forward in doing this.

"

Dudette!!!!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm doing low carb to wean myself off NSAIDS, and to help my anxiety disorder, and I haven't been hangry yet, nor have I suffered from abnormally low blood sugar.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Let it go, dude.

"Hello,

"

Um... yeah... I wasn't talking to the OP, and as I said above, I think low-carb is a perfectly good thing to try as a way to lose weight. I was talking to yarwell, who is arguing with psulemon, who doesn't do low-carb.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited September 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I am not missing context. I am letting others know my experience to allow others know there are a variety of effects of food. I know that goes against your low carb agenda, which i am sorry it makes you mad, but not everyone responds the same. Yes, a lot of people find lchf a good solution but just like every diet, it has a high failure rate.

I don't believe that is always needed though. It would be like me posting about my LCHF, largely carnivorous diet option on the vegetarian or vegan posts, so that people can be more educated in my way of doing things. I highly doubt they need or want that. Same goes for many LCHF threads.

JMO

Not sure if you saw my first post or not, but it was merely to correct a typical LCHF falacy that CICO is a type of diet. All diets obey by CICO. What most people refer to is flexible dieting.

Additionally, while you may not go into other threads, many people will post their experience with LCHF in various threads (not just the ones dedicated to low carb). I think its great to let people know the available options that exist and various strategies. It allows for members to see the variety of benefits and lifestyles to help them reach their goals.

And besides, if we didnt have discussions and only entered specific threads there would be a lot more broscience like; lchf makes you a fat burning machines (not explaining that means dietary fat), or meats tears up your insides (sadly i have heard this several types), more meals means more weight loss (you know because camp fire), or eating after 7pm is bad for you.

And as always, i hope this diet works well for the OP but more importantly i hope they set it up correctly where fat is very high, and the address any electrolyte issues prior to occuring and realize if they are in the US, it means net carbs.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You don't JUST lose water on low carb diets. You lose just as much fat as you would on any other diet. In fact, people with insulin resistance, PCOS or certain other issues might find it much easier to lose eating low carb. Also, ketogenic diets have an advantage in terms of body composition since they help prevent muscle loss.

But regardless, even if you do eventually reintroduce higher levels of carb...you might gain back the water weight (just a few pounds!!!) but all the fat will NOT come back. Also, the "and some more" in your reply is just plain wrong.

Ah blanket statements about IR and PCOS, which I happen to have (IR because of PCOS) .. I've lost just fine sticking to nothing more than a caloric deficit, thanks. Doing such a diet would be to help balance a MEDICAL condition, in conjunction with medication, to further assist with controlling the condition. It's also usually monitored by a medical professional such as an endocrinologist along the way. It's not the same thing as "I want to go low carb for a few weeks because I think it's going to 'kickstart' my weight loss".

The point is that this person is not as well versed as she would like to think she is, and to jump into a diet that isn't really intended to be a short-term quick fix is fairly irresponsible. One would imagine as a proponent of low carbing you would prefer that people fully understand what they are doing, not flippantly say "I don't know if it's even going to work".

Relax! Many people with insulin resistance, whether from PCOS or not, do find it easier to lose with low carb. This is hardly a controversial statement, Please note that I said "might" find it easier in my post, so there was no "blanket statement" made. I never said you "must". So please stop being overly sensitive and twisting what was said.

Also, many people without any medical condition prefer low carb...including me. I don't do it to "balance a medical condition". I do it because I just feel better eating this way and it eliminates all cravings.

Also, there is no need for medical supervision on a low carb diet. Obviously, people with specific medical conditions will be regularly seeing a doctor, but because of the condition...not because of the diet.

Finally, there is nothing "irresponsible" about testing out a new way of eating, especially considering that there is nothing harmful in that way of eating. Nobody knows if any eating style will really suit them until they try it. Maybe she won't like low carb, maybe she will. But she won't know until she tries.

The same can be said for somebody trying to eat low fat, or giving up meat, or cutting out added sugar, or experimenting with three large meals a day vs 5 small meals. Give it a try and you will know soon enough if it is for you or not.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com

Lots of info such as recipes/ foods/ and the concept of what its all about.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You do realize what will happen once you reintroduce carbs right?

So you've done it before? I haven't so no, I don't know what will happen. I don't even know if this will work.

Cheers

Well when you restrict carbohydrates you drop a lot of water weight.

Reintroduction of carbohydrates means you'll gain that water weight back, and some more.
    Why bother if it's just for 2 weeks? I don't see the point.

Low carbing doesn't make you lose any more fat than restricting calories... weight loss is all about calories.

I still don't see the point in this.

2 weeks is supposed to put your body in a state of Ketosis so your fat stores are used for energy instead of carbs.
    I don't know how this going to work, I just know I have been restricting but w/out the desired results. So.. I'm trying something different.

Cheers

Again, there's literally no point in this. It takes much longer than 2 weeks to become fat adapted. Even so, the reintroduction of carbohydrates will mean you are no longer fat adapted. Also, your body doesn't just use carbs as an energy source in a normal diet...

Just no.
    Dont worry about these type of people. Keto aka LCHF works great, fat and protein are much more filling and really keep hunger pains at bay. Also any "cravings" aka sugar cravings will be gone.

If you want to fat adapt quickly i would recommend doing:
    A 16 hour fast, say 8pm to noon, then try and do a full body depletion workout during the fast. Then eat at a macro split of 80-85% fat 15-20 protein, carbs as low as poss. Just for a day maybe 2.
    This should help with getting into ketosis much faster.
    Remember to keep sodium intake (5000mg/day) and potassium, magnesium up. If not you will probably feel lousy.
    Gl
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Isaac was completely right on every single point though.

No actually he wasnt.
    When carbs are reintroduced yes water weight will return.
    The " and more" is false and misinformation.
    And given the choice between carbs/ glucose and fat the body prefers and will use glucose/carbs First for energy.
    Nice try though

Completely depends on whether the person remains in a calorie deficit when reintroducing the carbohydrates. If not, then weight will also be regained, along with the water weight.

Well, that is stating the obvious and completely irrelevant to this discussion and more importantly misleading. Somebody who just follows IIFYM will also regain weight if they don't remain in a calorie deficit. This is true of any eating style...it has nothing to do with low carb specifically.
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The low carb diet DOES work but it is very restrictive. sandsofarabia nailed it on the head. It has to be a life choice, not a diet. Once you deviate from it and bring carbs back in, it is amazing how fast the weight comes back. The same applies for any DIET. Low fat, low calorie. Once you deviate and bring in the fat or extra calories, you gain weight.

I've done low carb for two months. I lost 30 pounds. By mid second month, the idea of eating beef, chicken, or another EGG made me literally GAG. Yes, it is a mind set. Removing the foods I focused on that I couldn't have from my life made me feel empowered AND I did eventually have more energy. I am a sugar ADDICT through and through. I love everything there is to love about it. I also love pasta. If I eat either of these items, I tell myself I am a bad girl and then say....may as well pig out and diet tomorrow.
    Restrictive diets can make some people focus on the can'ts more than the cans.

If you wish to drop some weight and feel that by removing carbs, a big trigger food item for many, go for it. But plan on doing it for the long haul. You don't have to be so restrictive as many plans promote. My mother lost 87 pounds with the motto, if it is white, don't bite. Meaning anything made of white flour and sugar, she avoided. She ate some fruits but really enjoyed meat heavy dishes.

I lost 100 pounds eating a very low fat diet. I consumed loads of sugar and walked 2 miles a day.....(was in my 20's). Anything works. But whatever your choice is, ask yourself this one question. Can you do it for life? Good luck.

[Post edited by MFP Staff]
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Let it go, dude.

"Hello,

"

Dudette!!!!

LOL!! :)
  • ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You don't JUST lose water on low carb diets. You lose just as much fat as you would on any other diet. In fact, people with insulin resistance, PCOS or certain other issues might find it much easier to lose eating low carb. Also, ketogenic diets have an advantage in terms of body composition since they help prevent muscle loss.

But regardless, even if you do eventually reintroduce higher levels of carb...you might gain back the water weight (just a few pounds!!!) but all the fat will NOT come back. Also, the "and some more" in your reply is just plain wrong.

Ah blanket statements about IR and PCOS, which I happen to have (IR because of PCOS) .. I've lost just fine sticking to nothing more than a caloric deficit, thanks. Doing such a diet would be to help balance a MEDICAL condition, in conjunction with medication, to further assist with controlling the condition. It's also usually monitored by a medical professional such as an endocrinologist along the way. It's not the same thing as "I want to go low carb for a few weeks because I think it's going to 'kickstart' my weight loss".

The point is that this person is not as well versed as she would like to think she is, and to jump into a diet that isn't really intended to be a short-term quick fix is fairly irresponsible. One would imagine as a proponent of low carbing you would prefer that people fully understand what they are doing, not flippantly say "I don't know if it's even going to work".

Relax! Many people with insulin resistance, whether from PCOS or not, do find it easier to lose with low carb. This is hardly a controversial statement, Please note that I said "might" find it easier in my post, so there was no "blanket statement" made. I never said you "must". So please stop being overly sensitive and twisting what was said.

Also, many people without any medical condition prefer low carb...including me. I don't do it to "balance a medical condition". I do it because I just feel better eating this way and it eliminates all cravings.

Also, there is no need for medical supervision on a low carb diet. Obviously, people with specific medical conditions will be regularly seeing a doctor, but because of the condition...not because of the diet.

Finally, there is nothing "irresponsible" about testing out a new way of eating, especially considering that there is nothing harmful in that way of eating. Nobody knows if any eating style will really suit them until they try it. Maybe she won't like low carb, maybe she will. But she won't know until she tries.

The same can be said for somebody trying to eat low fat, or giving up meat, or cutting out added sugar, or experimenting with three large meals a day vs 5 small meals. Give it a try and you will know soon enough if it is for you or not.

Kudos!
  • whitenright4life
    whitenright4life Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I'm doing the Adkins 20 intro also and I'm on day five. Make sure you replace lost electrolytes or you will feel like crap. Trust me. Lemon water with salt, power aid zero will help a lot.

[Edited By MyFitnessPal Moderator]
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    lyndahh75 wrote: »

Read my thread. Posting my thoughts/feelings definitely opened up an arena of harsh opinions. Attempts to invalidate how I was feeling were more prominent than the 'Totally understand how you feel' sort of comments. People are quick to attack, toss out nonconstructive opinions. I don't expect everyone to agree with what is being said, but with that being said.....opinions are like *kitten*.

I did...and saw no one on either side of the argument being cruel. That's entirely your perception of people disagreeing with you.

If you came here expecting all hugs, and pats on the back, and "Kumbaya"...then yeah, it can sometimes be a rude awakening when people point out factual errors, inconsistencies, or having disagreements.

Personally, it's what I like best about MFP boards. Generally people here don't just blindly give rah-rah support and they call out things that don't make sense.

This this this. Would people rather be supported in doing something everyone else knows is crap? Yes yes, you pop those Dr. Oz pills, those will totally work for you!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Cheers
    Andrea

I'm all for experimenting. One of the best things about CICO, which is fundamental to weight loss, is that there are a myriad of ways to achieve it and find adherence.

It may not be so, in particular for you, but in my case, I was "switched off" to bodily responses to foods at MO. Experimenting helped me learn to be switched on. What would happen if? Would I survive it, enjoy it, invest in it?

The Atkins has never interested me. More of a, I guess, lack of desire to account to that degree. Carbing down has interested me and I've played with that. For me I've found "it depends". And I've learnt. I think it's important to be adaptable, flexible. If it starts being a drudge then take what you've learnt and move along.
  • eddiemac617
    eddiemac617 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I have been diagnosed with diabetes and was told to restrict my carbs, as they turn into sugar in my body. This has worked for me. I have lost 45 lbs. since last October. Always consult with your doctor, before any diet. Best of luck.