Am I too muscular?

124»

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

My coworker just came up to me and said "Damn, Jess! Looking swoll over there. You're getting big". I'm not sure how to take this.

Take it as someone who is trying to get into your pants.

The appropriate response is "Damn right fool, I am *kitten*' hench, don't get it twisted..."
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Isn't that what the Windex post was about?

"You must wash your pants with Windex; I can see myself in them."
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited September 2015
    No. He probably wants to bang.

This, he wants to do the grown up
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    SuggaD wrote: »
    No. You look good, but I don't see any muscle.
    +1
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    No.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    Make your bed!!!
    Someone had to say it...
    Please carry on. :wink:

And hang some art on those walls!
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    Oh also - I didn't catch the part that it was a male coworker who said this. I'm sure he meant it as a compliment, then - as in, a lot of women don't have visible muscle, so it's cool that you do. I don't think he meant it as in you actually look big. To a lot of men, "big" is a compliment. If a woman had said it I might be a little more offended, haha.

^^^ this
    Ageeed, it was my initial thought was the coworker is a man and "big" is a compliment.
    No worries you look good and are making great progress keep it up!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited September 2015
    Do YOU think you're too muscular?

But really, this. Other people's opinions of you are none of your business. Decide what YOU want. Do YOU want to be strong and healthy? Do YOU want a muscular physique? You are young, I know, this sort of confidence comes with age, but there's nothing wrong with pushing it along. The sooner you grasp these ideas, the better off you'll be.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Isn't that what the Windex post was about?

"You must wash your pants with Windex; I can see myself in them."

Oh, now you mention it you're probably right.

Damn, girl is that a ladder in your tights or the stairway to heaven?

Errrr, I may need to log off in a bit as I seem to be transforming into an online lothario from the 1970s...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    arb037 wrote: »
    Oh also - I didn't catch the part that it was a male coworker who said this. I'm sure he meant it as a compliment, then - as in, a lot of women don't have visible muscle, so it's cool that you do. I don't think he meant it as in you actually look big. To a lot of men, "big" is a compliment. If a woman had said it I might be a little more offended, haha.

^^^ this
    Ageeed, it was my initial thought was the coworker is a man and "big" is a compliment.

This conversation reminds me of this article from Bret Contreras.
    This portion of the article is going to be entirely opinion based on my personal anecdotes. I don’t have any research to support this claim, but in my opinion, bulking effects males and females uniquely. Of course there are exceptions, but in general, males handle the psychological effects of bulking better than women.

Allow me to explain. A couple of months ago, I was eating like a crazed wolverine. I let my weight skyrocket to 255 lbs. I have to admit, my gut was out of control. But my quads, pecs, shoulders, and upper back were jacked as all hell! One night, I went out with my guy friends. When they saw me, they were like, “Holy *kitten* Bret, you’re freakin’ yoked!” I could get past the increased abdominal fat by focusing on the increased muscle mass I accrued. I found myself doing the pec dance at every possible opportunity imaginable.

giphy.gif
    The Pec Dance

Okay, now let me ask you a question. How many women have you heard speak like I did in the previous paragraph? Have you ever heard a woman say to another woman, “I know, I know, my gut, thighs, and butt have gotten pretty fat, but at least my pecs, lats, and traps are ginormous!” When a woman bulks up, do her friends say to her, “Hot damn, you’re looking swole as all hell sister!”? In my experience, this doesn’t happen very often. Maybe in certain fitness circles, but it’s definitely uncommon.
  • VickiLogan11
    VickiLogan11 Posts: 99 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    You're tiny girl, dont dwell on what he said, keep lifting, you look great!

^^^^
    This.
    You are tiny I agree. I'm proud of my muscles lol. Worked hard to get them & bet you have too :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    arb037 wrote: »

^^^ this

This conversation reminds me of this article from Bret Contreras.
    This portion of the article is going to be entirely opinion based on my personal anecdotes. I don’t have any research to support this claim, but in my opinion, bulking effects males and females uniquely. Of course there are exceptions, but in general, males handle the psychological effects of bulking better than women.

Allow me to explain. A couple of months ago, I was eating like a crazed wolverine. I let my weight skyrocket to 255 lbs. I have to admit, my gut was out of control. But my quads, pecs, shoulders, and upper back were jacked as all hell! One night, I went out with my guy friends. When they saw me, they were like, “Holy *kitten* Bret, you’re freakin’ yoked!” I could get past the increased abdominal fat by focusing on the increased muscle mass I accrued. I found myself doing the pec dance at every possible opportunity imaginable.

giphy.gif
    The Pec Dance

Okay, now let me ask you a question. How many women have you heard speak like I did in the previous paragraph? Have you ever heard a woman say to another woman, “I know, I know, my gut, thighs, and butt have gotten pretty fat, but at least my pecs, lats, and traps are ginormous!” When a woman bulks up, do her friends say to her, “Hot damn, you’re looking swole as all hell sister!”? In my experience, this doesn’t happen very often. Maybe in certain fitness circles, but it’s definitely uncommon.

heh- sometimes me... this is exactly what I sound like sometimes.heh. I aint mad.
  • sscarmack
    sscarmack Posts: 210 Member
    You look fantastic :)
  • ishepelska
    ishepelska Posts: 59 Member
    No. He probably wants to bang.

This, he wants to do the grown up

Come on, people! Now the OP will get this idea of the coworker trying to seduce her. She will start seeing inappropriate behaviour in every interaction. She will go to HR and complain about inappropriate comments. The guy will get fired. His family will end up on the streets.

Now seriously, you are not too muscular. If I were you, I would take that comment as a friendly fun compliment.