Appetite suppressants

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Food is a very effective appetite suppressant. If you have a small bowl of soup and a huge salad before your meals you will find yourself unable to eat as much as you usually do because you are full on low calorie food.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    lyndahh75 wrote: »
    I see you've read these boards before lol
    Coconut oil and biotin are suppressants and work with increasing metabolism

Never heard of that for appetite suppressant. Both are great for your hair though :p

• YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I use duromine on and off as it helps boosts my energy I also use garcinia and chromium picolinate.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil and biotin are suppressants and work with increasing metabolism- so I've read.

Can't speak to coconut oil (but since it's said to have magical powers I doubt it does anything people claim) but I've been taking biotin for a few years to counteract the effects some of my medications have on my hair and nails, and I lost no weight at all until I started counting calories.

• chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Not going to get into the pro/con supplement debate...however, I've noticed adding apples to my diet about an hour before lunch and/or an hour before dinner really cuts my appetite and and I'm not overeating as much. It's natural, fibrous...just watch it with your sugars for the day because those numbers will go up. But it's really helped out a lot.

A handful of almonds or other nuts/other proteins also helps out.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    Coconut oil and biotin are suppressants and work with increasing metabolism- so I've read.

Can't speak to coconut oil (but since it's said to have magical powers I doubt it does anything people claim) but I've been taking biotin for a few years to counteract the effects some of my medications have on my hair and nails, and I lost no weight at all until I started counting calories.

My personal experience with coconut oil is that it doesn't work well as an appetite suppressant for me (it actually made me hungrier), and even if it did for some people it makes up for it with the calories it provides.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    xnabnana wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any effective appetite suppressants out there?
    If you don't agree with the use of these, spare me the lecture and move along. Thank you!

It's all snake oil. SMH. I'm here to tell you can't tell anyone here not to comment. It doesn't work like that. Sorry.

Let me reiterate, it's all crap. It teaches you nothing about maintaining your weight for life.

This!
    Learn self control. That's the best pill around...
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    xnabnana wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any effective appetite suppressants out there?
    If you don't agree with the use of these, spare me the lecture and move along. Thank you!

It's all snake oil. SMH. I'm here to tell you can't tell anyone here not to comment. It doesn't work like that. Sorry.

Let me reiterate, it's all crap. It teaches you nothing about maintaining your weight for life.

This!
    Learn self control. That's the best pill around...

Exactly. Will power, self-control, and focus. These 3 thing alone are FREE, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than snakeoil in a can. I see people buying "It Works!" wraps, lotions, potions, etc, and NONE of it works without eating less and exercising more. Even the weight-loss commercials recommend a "proper diet and exercise", and that "results are not typical". So why even buy that crap?

Tell you what OP: send me $50/month and I'll send you a miracle drug that will help you lose weight with proper diet and exercise. But I'll tell you now... it's just going to be empty capsules.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Obviously not or she wouldn't be asking in the first place.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Keeping busy. On days when I'm not busy (especially at work, when I'm on the computer), I get hungry out of sheer boredom. On my days off, when I'm doing stuff and keeping busy, I'm never hungry except when I'm actually hungry, and I tend to eat less. (Except when I'm at a party/socializing, lol; then it varies.)

Agreeing that having a cup of coffee or water will sometimes help, if I'm just hungry out of routine rather than actual need for food.

Other times, just sort of shrug and wait the hunger out. A lot of times it'll pass, and if it sticks around, I hunt down a snack.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    ^+1

• rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Water, coffee/caffeine, tea (even non-caffeinated help for me), exercise, sleep.

Not sexy and not a weight loss miracle. But anal leakage isn't sexy either.
  • lisajanemarsland
    Options
    If you drink a can of low-cal soda just before you eat, you'll feel full in no time. You may also burp like a bullfrog with chronic wind, but at least you'll eat less!
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Spirutein unsweetened protein powder in a blender with 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 3 ice cubes helps me resist the afternoon munchies for the price of only 110 calories. I can be hungry and brain-fogged and it really helps--- better than eating even "healthy" things like nuts, yogurt, fruit, and even chicken.
    (and no I do not work for the Spirutein company.)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    rhyolite_ wrote: »
    Water, coffee/caffeine, tea (even non-caffeinated help for me), exercise, sleep.

Not sexy and not a weight loss miracle. But anal leakage isn't sexy either.

Says you!

:|

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I found cutting carbs helped suppress my appetite. It worked after a week of eating LCHF.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    cerise1982 wrote: »
    Protein, fiber, water.
    For me, personally, it's the horrid fat photo. :/

Works for me as well.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, that fat photo on my refrigerator and on my phone reminds me of why I'm eating how I do.
  • Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    water and exercise are the best natural appetite suppressants. If natural isnt a concern, theres meph but youll lose your teeth, job, house...ect..ect
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Tight pants help too.