fast food

Options

Replies

• GillianLF
    GillianLF Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    About 2/3 years ago I took my nieces to McDonalds as a treat. I couldn't believe how not into it they were! They barely touched their food so I ate theirs as well as my own. I asked them "What kid doesn't like McDonalds?" I got told their favourite food is fish! As in salmon and salad. These were 3 and 6 years old. When my sister collected them she explained she doesn't do fast food.

It took a while but it slowly dawned on me that when I was a kid fast food was a Friday Treat. We went to these places for our birthday parties. So I mentally thought of fast food as an indulgence, something I was entitled to as a treat to myself. It has taken a while but I genuinely don't think I've eaten fast food in the last year. I had to change my attitude to food - a treat is now making the right choices.

I get a Chinese take away once a month so that's my fast food. I'm not saying I'm off it completely but now if I fancy a burger I'll go to a proper burger place where everything is quality and I can savour the food, knowing that I'm eating food rather than food like products. To think it took children to change how I saw food.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just not sure I'm clear on your motivation for not wanting to eat fast food anymore. Are you cutting it out to save money, because you are trying to lose weight and you feel it is hindering your progress, because you think it is not "healthy", or because you just want to see if you can do it?

I don't eat a lot of fast food, but I'm not opposed to it - I believe you can fit pretty much any type food into your overall diet if you enjoy it and don't want to give it up. So I'm unclear if you are looking for recommendations on how to give it up altogether, or how to make it work with your individual goals (whatever those may be).

Well you know what.. Good question! You not being difficult by any means and I thank you for your interest In what I'm trying to get at. I guess.. When I first started making this discussion board.. I had the mentality of ridding of it completely! Then when I got more and more responses ..i started to give it new thought to maybe just eat fast food once a month. But then.. After reading what you are saying.. I don't and shouldn't necessarily quit because I can still fit it in calories intake.. Per day. So at this point.. I'm just trying to listen to ideas and methods.. To see if maybe I should go completely cold turkey, cut off fast food with exceptions, or continue to eat it but fit it in my calorie intake. My goal no matter what, is to eat less of it.. And not use it for convenience..and Gas Station food is included when I speak of fast food. My goal is to be more aware of the food options and find ways to lose weight and eat fast food if that even makes sense. I guess overall.. I want to know if it's just smarter to quit cold turkey or make a goal of once a month..? So yes.. I think that's the route I want to take. Not to mention fast food adds up in cost.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    GillianLF wrote: »
    About 2/3 years ago I took my nieces to McDonalds as a treat. I couldn't believe how not into it they were! They barely touched their food so I ate theirs as well as my own. I asked them "What kid doesn't like McDonalds?" I got told their favourite food is fish! As in salmon and salad. These were 3 and 6 years old. When my sister collected them she explained she doesn't do fast food.

It took a while but it slowly dawned on me that when I was a kid fast food was a Friday Treat. We went to these places for our birthday parties. So I mentally thought of fast food as an indulgence, something I was entitled to as a treat to myself. It has taken a while but I genuinely don't think I've eaten fast food in the last year. I had to change my attitude to food - a treat is now making the right choices.

I get a Chinese take away once a month so that's my fast food. I'm not saying I'm off it completely but now if I fancy a burger I'll go to a proper burger place where everything is quality and I can savour the food, knowing that I'm eating food rather than food like products. To think it took children to change how I saw food.

Woah! Your story is very unique and I'm glad it changed your perspective and gave you new insight, as it did me also reading this post. Thank you for sharing this story with us. I think that makes much sense in terms of eating a burger but a QUALITY burger not a byproduct burger.. I think I like that route better myself actually. Maybe because it's harder to find places with quality ingredients (in my town at least) it will force my hand at cooking my own burger and creating a different side versus eating French fries.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten fast food for over three years. The way I did it was. . . I just stopped. When I joined MFP in June 2012, I made some decisions about how I wanted to use my calories and just decided that I could do better. It isn't even just the calories. I just decided that the quality of food there was not what I wanted and I didn't go any more. It doesn't mean I gave up hamburgers or whatever, but if I want that, I either make it myself or go to a real restaurant. It doesn't matter to me how many fast food restaurants there are in the world, I just drive right on by. No steps involved.

HOLY WOW! 3 YEARS?? Was it not difficult? Do you ever have cravings or urges!? I mean it's amazing and I totally commend you. I guess the stopping part is what scares me.. Because being a college student.. It's just convenient and a good excuse lol. I want to set a day to stop and do it. I just need to motivate myself and tell myself it's not worth my money. Because it's not.

It's been 10 years since I've had Fast Food (you know Burger King, McDonalds, etc). Because everything makes me sick. Ramen is just as cheap, easy and convienent. That's how I made it through college and lost 15lbs my freshman year. But that was 15 years ago. I've learned that fast food just isn't worth the stomach issues.

But then again, if you want fast food, go have it, just eat less.

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    I haven't eaten fast food for over three years. The way I did it was. . . I just stopped. When I joined MFP in June 2012, I made some decisions about how I wanted to use my calories and just decided that I could do better. It isn't even just the calories. I just decided that the quality of food there was not what I wanted and I didn't go any more. It doesn't mean I gave up hamburgers or whatever, but if I want that, I either make it myself or go to a real restaurant. It doesn't matter to me how many fast food restaurants there are in the world, I just drive right on by. No steps involved.

HOLY WOW! 3 YEARS?? Was it not difficult? Do you ever have cravings or urges!? I mean it's amazing and I totally commend you. I guess the stopping part is what scares me.. Because being a college student.. It's just convenient and a good excuse lol. I want to set a day to stop and do it. I just need to motivate myself and tell myself it's not worth my money. Because it's not.

It's been 10 years since I've had Fast Food (you know Burger King, McDonalds, etc). Because everything makes me sick. Ramen is just as cheap, easy and convienent. That's how I made it through college and lost 15lbs my freshman year. But that was 15 years ago. I've learned that fast food just isn't worth the stomach issues.

Haha ramen is actually probably cheaper. Although I can only handle so much ramen lol but I understand where you are coming from. Thank you
  • 1flymom3
    1flymom3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree because I'm always on the go and I thought I was eating good items at the fast food but I now realize I wasn't. I read the nutrition on everything now. All salads aren't good, deli sandwiches aren't all good, really a lot of things you think would be OK to eat really aren't. You can find some great finds but you have to look and get the nutrition information online or at the location. If a place doesn't disclose the nutrition information I don't go and I have also started bring my items. I prepare them a few days in advance. That was so hard for me because I'm picky and change my mind often. Fortunately its working out and instead of snacking (I was a big snack person) I walk on my breaks. I have even stopped doing the drive thru's and will park and go inside, it really makes the difference. If I don't feel like going inside then I don't eat out. I don't feed my child fast food like we used to and if we do its healthier selections in smaller quantities. It's not easy by far with all the variety, especially when you love to eat. I love to eat and don't like cooking but I like looking awesome in my clothes too. So moderation is key for me with exercising to burn calories and track what I eat. Once you see what your eating, you start changing fast. If I eat out then I try burning enough calories to not go over my daily amount. So far its working. Good luck all..
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,648 Member
    Options

Haha ramen is actually probably cheaper. Although I can only handle so much ramen lol but I understand where you are coming from. Thank you

Oh man, do I miss the days when I cluelessly ate 2 bricks of top ramen, not knowing 1/2 a brick was one serving.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't had fast food at all this year. Last year I ate at Chic Fil A. That wa the only fast food I had. I don't remember when I had it before that. I think it was Wendy's a few years back when traveling.

I used to eat it quite a bit years ago but I got tired of spending money on crappy food that didn't satisty me, so I stopped. I didn't make a commitment to give it up or a big production of it. As I realize what a waste of money it was I just gradually started going less and less until I wasn't going at all.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of fast food. It appears most are talking about burger joints. I don't eat there because I don't like the burgers (they don't taste like beef), although the fries are good. If fast food includes everything without a waiter, I eat Jersey Mike's about once a week. Very tasty and perfectly healthful. No reason to avoid it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It depends on your definition of fast food. It appears most are talking about burger joints. I don't eat there because I don't like the burgers (they don't taste like beef), although the fries are good. If fast food includes everything without a waiter, I eat Jersey Mike's about once a week. Very tasty and perfectly healthful. No reason to avoid it.

I'm not just talking burger joints. I've never heard of Jersey Mike's but when I say fast food I mean places like McDonald's, Subway, Jack in the Box, Pita Pit, Chic Fil A, Fazoli's, Taco Bell, etc.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just not sure I'm clear on your motivation for not wanting to eat fast food anymore. Are you cutting it out to save money, because you are trying to lose weight and you feel it is hindering your progress, because you think it is not "healthy", or because you just want to see if you can do it?

I don't eat a lot of fast food, but I'm not opposed to it - I believe you can fit pretty much any type food into your overall diet if you enjoy it and don't want to give it up. So I'm unclear if you are looking for recommendations on how to give it up altogether, or how to make it work with your individual goals (whatever those may be).

Well you know what.. Good question! You not being difficult by any means and I thank you for your interest In what I'm trying to get at. I guess.. When I first started making this discussion board.. I had the mentality of ridding of it completely! Then when I got more and more responses ..i started to give it new thought to maybe just eat fast food once a month. But then.. After reading what you are saying.. I don't and shouldn't necessarily quit because I can still fit it in calories intake.. Per day. So at this point.. I'm just trying to listen to ideas and methods.. To see if maybe I should go completely cold turkey, cut off fast food with exceptions, or continue to eat it but fit it in my calorie intake. My goal no matter what, is to eat less of it.. And not use it for convenience..and Gas Station food is included when I speak of fast food. My goal is to be more aware of the food options and find ways to lose weight and eat fast food if that even makes sense. I guess overall.. I want to know if it's just smarter to quit cold turkey or make a goal of once a month..? So yes.. I think that's the route I want to take. Not to mention fast food adds up in cost.

So yeah, I think giving it some more thought and understanding your own internal motivation for wanting to reduce or eliminate fast food will ultimately help you figure out what your new approach will be.

As others have pointed out, there are plenty of fast food options that should fit within pretty much any calorie goal - and even help hit macros (some micros) as well. Like I said, I don't eat it all that often, my kids like McDonalds and that's really not my favorite, so if we are picking that up while we are out running errands a lot of times I get a McDouble, and then I eat a few of their fries and even some of their chicken nuggets. That's under 500 cals which is totally reasonable for lunch, IMO. Now if we are near a place that I like better, like Chik Fil A, Wendy's or Lion's Choice and I can sell my kids on it, then I definitely take full advantage, and might get a sandwich and fries, or a frosty or dipped cone. Still ends up being around 700 cals which is more than I normally do for lunch but well within my normal dinner budget.

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I don't even eat out once a year, yuk.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's any reason to stop going, or even set rigid "once per month" goals unless you just can't control yourself when you go. You can make pretty good choices at most of them, grilled chicken instead of a giant burger or whatever. If you've gotten used to them because of convenience, learning to keep them part of your routine will help you stick to your weight-loss in the long run. You won't feel like you've failed one day because you said "screw it" and hit the drive through. Just keep track of the calories.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have two "date nights" a month and usually choose that time to eat out. Other than that I rarely eat out now. Mainly because in our budget, my husband and I each have an "allowance" every month to spend however we like. So as I have become more aware about my health, my allowance has transitioned from eating out to spending money on fun new clothes, loading up my kindle with books, buying craft items (I am a crafter) or something fun that will give me much more enjoyment than any food will give me. That is usually enough motivation to steer my car away from the drive through.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm another 'figure out why you want to stop' person. Because some reasons for stopping are invalid and some are not.

I don't particularly enjoy fast food, but I find myself running out the door without a packed lunch, or getting hungry late in the afternoon with nothing available. If it gets to the point where I can't focus or I get sick to my stomach (not infrequent) I'll head to Taco Bell because they're fast and have a decent selection. I'll get a cheese roll-up or shredded chicken mini quesadilla or similar for less than 200 cals if I need a snack. One of the moderately-sized burritos if I need more of a meal (3-400 cals).

Honestly, it's little different than things I've make at home. Small tortilla + cheese & maybe chicken or beef or veg. Toast to melt the cheese.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    1ymom3 wrote: »
    I agree because I'm always on the go and I thought I was eating good items at the fast food but I now realize I wasn't. I read the nutrition on everything now. All salads aren't good, deli sandwiches aren't all good, really a lot of things you think would be OK to eat really aren't. You can find some great finds but you have to look and get the nutrition information online or at the location. If a place doesn't disclose the nutrition information I don't go and I have also started bring my items. I prepare them a few days in advance. That was so hard for me because I'm picky and change my mind often. Fortunately its working out and instead of snacking (I was a big snack person) I walk on my breaks. I have even stopped doing the drive thru's and will park and go inside, it really makes the difference. If I don't feel like going inside then I don't eat out. I don't feed my child fast food like we used to and if we do its healthier selections in smaller quantities. It's not easy by far with all the variety, especially when you love to eat. I love to eat and don't like cooking but I like looking awesome in my clothes too. So moderation is key for me with exercising to burn calories and track what I eat. Once you see what your eating, you start changing fast. If I eat out then I try burning enough calories to not go over my daily amount. So far its working. Good luck all..

Haha girl i know! Lol I thought for awhile I'm not eating too bad of selections at these fast food places.. But now i realize.. But hey that's awesome you are able to moderate. Keep up the good work!! I think cooking in advance seems to be the best answer so far and I love it. I liked your concept.. "don't want to get out my car, don't need to eat fast food" awesome thought. Thank you for sharing.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Hahahahahahahahah ih
    glassyo wrote: »

Oh man, do I miss the days when I cluelessly ate 2 bricks of top ramen, not knowing 1/2 a brick was one serving.

Hahaha it's never too late to go back to those days lol
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    C
    I haven't had fast food at all this year. Last year I ate at Chic Fil A. That wa the only fast food I had. I don't remember when I had it before that. I think it was Wendy's a few years back when traveling.

I used to eat it quite a bit years ago but I got tired of spending money on crappy food that didn't satisty me, so I stopped. I didn't make a commitment to give it up or a big production of it. As I realize what a waste of money it was I just gradually started going less and less until I wasn't going at all.

Chick fila is very good .I'm happy we don't have one in my town because.. Idk lol.. I might not be able to handle myself haha JK but yes that's awesome! Keep up the good work!! Thanks for sharing your insight.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    H[quI was te="sheldonklein;34017175"]It depends on your definition of fast food. It appears most are talking about burger joints. I don't eat there because I don't like the burgers (they don't taste like beef), although the fries are good. If fast food includes everything without a waiter, I eat Jersey Mike's about once a week. Very tasty and perfectly healthful. No reason to avoid it.[/quote]

Hmm i definitely included all burger joints with drive thru. Lol and gas stations..
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    ote="WinoGelato;34017298"]

So yeah, I think giving it some more thought and understanding your own internal motivation for wanting to reduce or eliminate fast food will ultimately help you figure out what your new approach will be.

As others have pointed out, there are plenty of fast food options that should fit within pretty much any calorie goal - and even help hit macros (some micros) as well. Like I said, I don't eat it all that often, my kids like McDonalds and that's really not my favorite, so if we are picking that up while we are out running errands a lot of times I get a McDouble, and then I eat a few of their fries and even some of their chicken nuggets. That's under 500 cals which is totally reasonable for lunch, IMO. Now if we are near a place that I like better, like Chik Fil A, Wendy's or Lion's Choice and I can sell my kids on it, then I definitely take full advantage, and might get a sandwich and fries, or a frosty or dipped cone. Still ends up being around 700 cals which is more than I normally do for lunch but well within my normal dinner budget.

[/quote]

yes! You are right.. I do need to figure out my motivation ! Because like you said that will only help me. I never really thought how fast food could meet macros and micros.. But I guess it makes sense depending on what you order. You are doing great and I think it's awesome so keep it up and thank you for continuing to respond. Love all the insight