Options

Replies

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    "KANGOOJUMPS;34017309"]I don't even eat out once a year, yuk.[/quote]

Awesome!! Great job!!!
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    ote="extra_medium;34017914"]I don't think there's any reason to stop going, or even set rigid "once per month" goals unless you just can't control yourself when you go. You can make pretty good choices at most of them, grilled chicken instead of a giant burger or whatever. If you've gotten used to them because of convenience, learning to keep them part of your routine will help you stick to your weight-loss in the long run. You won't feel like you've failed one day because you said "screw it" and hit the drive through. Just keep track of the calories. [/quote]
    I can totally see where you are coming from and perhaps you are right. I mean I can definitely control myself and honestly like I said I don't go out to eat often.. So it's more of a habit...that probably isn't necessarily a problem. Hmm . I think the amount of weight I want to lose ..isnt so serious where eating out could harm me unless I choose to go fast food crazy lol
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    My husband and I have two "date nights" a month and usually choose that time to eat out. Other than that I rarely eat out now. Mainly because in our budget, my husband and I each have an "allowance" every month to spend however we like. So as I have become more aware about my health, my allowance has transitioned from eating out to spending money on fun new clothes, loading up my kindle with books, buying craft items (I am a crafter) or something fun that will give me much more enjoyment than any food will give me. That is usually enough motivation to steer my car away from the drive through.
    aww!! That's awesome! Not a bad idea either. I'm happy it works for the both of you and I definitely would agree there are tons of other things on my list that would make me happier versus a cheeseburger lol so yes.. I can see your side of things and how you handle it.

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I'm another 'figure out why you want to stop' person. Because some reasons for stopping are invalid and some are not.

I don't particularly enjoy fast food, but I find myself running out the door without a packed lunch, or getting hungry late in the afternoon with nothing available. If it gets to the point where I can't focus or I get sick to my stomach (not infrequent) I'll head to Taco Bell because they're fast and have a decent selection. I'll get a cheese roll-up or shredded chicken mini quesadilla or similar for less than 200 cals if I need a snack. One of the moderately-sized burritos if I need more of a meal (3-400 cals).

Honestly, it's little different than things I've make at home. Small tortilla + cheese & maybe chicken or beef or veg. Toast to melt the cheese.
    I can now understand why people would like to know someone would want to stop eating fast food.. Because certain reasons are a bit silly.. I guess I never thought about why until I read through my board. Me I'm not a Taco Bell fan.. I'd much rather eat a chipotle burrito (oops lol) but that's okay! You gave me ideas for a Taco Bell menu item that has less calories but filling. Love your information. Feel free to come by my house and make me that lol sounds great! (joking) I will have to make that one myself. Thank you for sharing

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    You can eat fast food, just don't pig out. Last time I had fast food was Blake's Lotaburger. I got a junior burger and a small fry (which I only ate half of). And a plain iced tea to drink. The whole meal was less than 600 calories. Not too bad for a fast food lunch on the road.

I could have gotten a double cheeseburger, large fries and a chocolate shake, but I chose not to. In fact, I kinda wanted a chocolate shake. But I also kinda want to not be fat. A temporary flavor in my mouth just isn't more important than my health and the way I feel about myself and my body. You have the ability to make good or bad choices - healthy or unhealthy choices. It's up to you what you decide to do.

Congrats to you for making a better choice in your situation! I believe in the same thing.. Health is much more important. Everyone has choices.. They just need to decide which road to take. Thank you for sharing
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I haven't completely cut it but I think I've gone twice in a year. The first time I had a cheeseburger and chili at Wendy's, I was craving a cheeseburger and got the chili so I wouldn't be hungry and it wasn't too bad. The second time a filet-o-fish at McDonald's - my kids wanted some Happy Meals and I was too lazy to fight with them to try and find something they'd eat for lunch at home and I was starving, so it was a spur of the moment thing and I regretted it right away. No, it wasn't bad, just as I remembered actually (hadn't had one in like 3 years) but it didn't fill me up AT ALL for the calories. It was like I had eaten absolutely nothing. Needless to say, I went over my calories that day...

And that's the thing - it doesn't fill me up at all for the calories. I'm not a great cook by any means but I can make something tasty and way more filling at home for the same amount of calories. And the more filling options, like salads, are just not worth the calories because I don't find them tasty at all (tasteless lettuce and chicken).

So I really haven't felt like eating there at all... I can make tastier salads at home, I can make more filling burgers at home, I can make better tacos at home (than Taco Bell), I can make tasty fries for half the calories... basically there's just no point. I've stopped a few local fast food places though, for things like crepes or gyros, but that's pretty much it.

I used to go 2-3 times a week, but I never cooked then. I'm not saying it's actually cheaper to cook at home, because it probably isn't... but the trade off in taste and not having to be hungry all day is worth it to me (I'm NOT one of those people who will be full on a Happy Meal. Forget it. That wouldn't fill me up at all). Heck even on vacations, I never stopped there, I'd rather spend a bit more for something tastier and more filling.

Oh yeah and I tried Smashburger once. So delicious, but I could feel the sodium in my body all day afterwards and I felt so gross I pretty much decided never to have a full meal at a fast food place again (at least not with fries).
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Well, I tell myself the cold hard truth, which is that fast food is disgusting and terrible for you. That it's not nutritious. Those realizations come naturally now that I've been doing this over a year. I haven't had a burger or fries, soda, chicken nuggets etc. In that long. I don't seek it out. Now, when someone (usually my husband or other family) Wants us to go to one of those places, I choose something much better and for less calories (choose ahead of time!) Such as a salad or grilled chicken sandwhich with unsweetened iced tea. It's not hard at all. I don't even crave that other stuff anymore. I'm rather repulsed by it, actually. After so long of cooking healthy meals at home and learning, teaching my taste buds what delicious nutritious healthy calorie sources are....it's easy to not even care about that fast food junk.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Well, I tell myself the cold hard truth, which is that fast food is disgusting and terrible for you. That it's not nutritious. Those realizations come naturally now that I've been doing this over a year. I haven't had a burger or fries, soda, chicken nuggets etc. In that long. I don't seek it out. Now, when someone (usually my husband or other family) Wants us to go to one of those places, I choose something much better and for less calories (choose ahead of time!) Such as a salad or grilled chicken sandwhich with unsweetened iced tea. It's not hard at all. I don't even crave that other stuff anymore. I'm rather repulsed by it, actually. After so long of cooking healthy meals at home and learning, teaching my taste buds what delicious nutritious healthy calorie sources are....it's easy to not even care about that fast food junk.

Very nice! Great motivator and mindset to have. I'm glad you shared your experience and ideas. Thank you!
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I haven't completely cut it but I think I've gone twice in a year. The first time I had a cheeseburger and chili at Wendy's, I was craving a cheeseburger and got the chili so I wouldn't be hungry and it wasn't too bad. The second time a filet-o-fish at McDonald's - my kids wanted some Happy Meals and I was too lazy to fight with them to try and find something they'd eat for lunch at home and I was starving, so it was a spur of the moment thing and I regretted it right away. No, it wasn't bad, just as I remembered actually (hadn't had one in like 3 years) but it didn't fill me up AT ALL for the calories. It was like I had eaten absolutely nothing. Needless to say, I went over my calories that day...

And that's the thing - it doesn't fill me up at all for the calories. I'm not a great cook by any means but I can make something tasty and way more filling at home for the same amount of calories. And the more filling options, like salads, are just not worth the calories because I don't find them tasty at all (tasteless lettuce and chicken).

So I really haven't felt like eating there at all... I can make tastier salads at home, I can make more filling burgers at home, I can make better tacos at home (than Taco Bell), I can make tasty fries for half the calories... basically there's just no point. I've stopped a few local fast food places though, for things like crepes or gyros, but that's pretty much it.

I used to go 2-3 times a week, but I never cooked then. I'm not saying it's actually cheaper to cook at home, because it probably isn't... but the trade off in taste and not having to be hungry all day is worth it to me (I'm NOT one of those people who will be full on a Happy Meal. Forget it. That wouldn't fill me up at all). Heck even on vacations, I never stopped there, I'd rather spend a bit more for something tastier and more filling.

Oh yeah and I tried Smashburger once. So delicious, but I could feel the sodium in my body all day afterwards and I felt so gross I pretty much decided never to have a full meal at a fast food place again (at least not with fries).

Hmm very interesting. I'm happy you sought out other means to escape a fast food convenience. Hey I'm no chef either but I can cook a pretty mean dinner or lunch if I need to. Haha. So I can understand. Let me just add no happy meal will ever come close to fill me up.. I skip the happy meal and get to the good stuff hahaaha bad behavior maybe.. But let's be honest.. Get a happy meal for the same price of two cheeseburgers there. When I was a kid I was eating 2 whoppers and a large fries with no problem. (was a little kid. Not overweight) and because I'm not in a huge weight problem condition.. Again I believe I should still be able to eat fast food but only if I want to obviously and with better choices in mind. But I'm not a person who goes out to eat all the time.. But I like to know I can go longer without eating out. So that's my goal. & thank you for sharing with us!!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    No, it wasn't bad, just as I remembered actually (hadn't had one in like 3 years) but it didn't fill me up AT ALL for the calories. It was like I had eaten absolutely nothing. Needless to say, I went over my calories that day...

That was pretty much my experience the last couple of times that I have gone out for fast food. I had no qualms about the taste (still pretty good to me) and for the first hour, things were fine. After that hour, though, it was like you said: I felt like I hadn't eaten anything. It's pretty disheartening to consume 800-1,000 calories and still feel like you're on an empty stomach. A typical meal at home for me is between 600 and 700 calories (and a quarter of the sodium) and usually, that satisfies me for the next 6-8 hours.

For me, I get fast food only sparingly now and it's always when I'm traveling or with friends. I've always been into volume. I'd rather eat a lot of something. When I started counting calories, it quickly became apparent that lots of fried chicken and potato chips wasn't going to cut it. So, when I think about how much steamed broccoli or green beans I can eat compared to a combo meal at McDonald's, I go for the vegetables. The food I eat would probably be pretty bland to most people, but it works for me.
  • KrisMartinsons2015
    Options
    I used to eat out probably 2 or 3 times per week, most of those times were on weekends.

I'm currently still on my fat loss mission and just about 3 weeks ago Saturday and Sunday were a nightmare for me.

I typically don't spend my weekend indoors so when you are out in the city, doing shopping or other things it's very easy to go for that quick meal at BG or MD or KFC.

I'm writing this now and I'm actually thinking, why I'm not eating at fast food places that often anymore?? :neutral:
    and it's hard to understand.
    when I'm out in the city I will just start to think about alternatives that I could have and not eat a full burger meal. and what I have found out is that you just have to make yourself not to eat that kind of a food. it's tough for the first few weeks but it works. even if you can't grab anything healthy at that time, just make yourself not to go. and once you get back home and finally have a healthy meal it feels sooooooooo good that you actually didn't go for that burger.

if you are really hungry and want to have that burger, well, just get it. and then don't have another unhealthy meal for a week. maybe don't go with the full Whopper meal, but instead get the burger alone. it's still a lot of calories and fats, but it's better compared to burger, chips, coke and ice-cream.

last night my GF craved something from KFC, she is very fit one of those "I can eat whatever I want and not get fat" type of humans.

so she got a meal from KFC and when we were driving home the smell from the chicken really got my cravings up.
    but when we got home, I got one chicken wing from her box and then I instantly had 2 hard boiled eggs with small can of tuna. and I was satisfied.

so yeah, I basically forced myself not to eat at those "EVIL" fast food places and it seems to be working very well for me.

I will still get something unhealthy roughly once every 10 days. but my cravings for this kind of food have nearly ceased completely.

I hope this helps. and please add me ;)
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    I used to eat out probably 2 or 3 times per week, most of those times were on weekends.

I'm currently still on my fat loss mission and just about 3 weeks ago Saturday and Sunday were a nightmare for me.

I typically don't spend my weekend indoors so when you are out in the city, doing shopping or other things it's very easy to go for that quick meal at BG or MD or KFC.

I'm writing this now and I'm actually thinking, why I'm not eating at fast food places that often anymore?? :neutral:
    and it's hard to understand.
    when I'm out in the city I will just start to think about alternatives that I could have and not eat a full burger meal. and what I have found out is that you just have to make yourself not to eat that kind of a food. it's tough for the first few weeks but it works. even if you can't grab anything healthy at that time, just make yourself not to go. and once you get back home and finally have a healthy meal it feels sooooooooo good that you actually didn't go for that burger.

if you are really hungry and want to have that burger, well, just get it. and then don't have another unhealthy meal for a week. maybe don't go with the full Whopper meal, but instead get the burger alone. it's still a lot of calories and fats, but it's better compared to burger, chips, coke and ice-cream.

last night my GF craved something from KFC, she is very fit one of those "I can eat whatever I want and not get fat" type of humans.

so she got a meal from KFC and when we were driving home the smell from the chicken really got my cravings up.
    but when we got home, I got one chicken wing from her box and then I instantly had 2 hard boiled eggs with small can of tuna. and I was satisfied.

so yeah, I basically forced myself not to eat at those "EVIL" fast food places and it seems to be working very well for me.

I will still get something unhealthy roughly once every 10 days. but my cravings for this kind of food have nearly ceased completely.

I hope this helps. and please add me ;)
    Well first off.. Yes you helped!! Of course!! You probably helped more people than myself to be honest, so give your self a pat on the back! I love when people share their stories it's fun and real and gives a great perspective, not to mention it always amazes me how many people go through the same trials as others and it helps because you create relationships with people who understand.. So thank you for sharing. I thank goodness our downtown area I bare lmfao although it has food places and shops. Not very many and I tend to not go to any of them so I usually stray. Although when I'm commuting for school that's when eating out seems like "oh yes let's grab a burger or a chipotle burrito " hahaa but no I don't eat fast food as often as others.. Actually i go from eating it 2-3 times a week to 2-4 times a month weirdly enough and even though I'm on a strict training schedule because I'm an athlete sometimes I tend to just forget and I don't want to forget. So now I'm going to pack my lunch for class and pack for work=) problem solved. Haha
  • twinjamom6
    twinjamom6 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the above poster. I can't remember the last time I had fast food. My husband is always getting Hardee's or something like that. It never smells good and the thought of the grease makes me want to vomit. I spent a good portion of my teens and early adulthood working fast food and maybe that's what ruined it for me. Even Subway is processed foods.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I wanted to start eating more healthy so we just stopped going to fast food restaurants. If we want to go out for lunch or dinner we will go to a sit down restaurant, and that is not often. When I'm traveling I will eat at a fast food place, usually McD's for breakfast. My husband is in love with Subway, although I am not a fan. If you go to their websites you can find the nutritional information for most fast food places and pick what you think you will eat before you go. Most places have a grilled chicken sandwich which isn't too high in calories. I avoid fries and soft drinks, usually order tea, unsweetened. Now I find when I do go to a fast food place I'm disappointed with the quality of the food.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I gave up fast food a few years ago when diagnosed with celiac disease. Fast food joints aren't safe for me.

I don't really miss the food, but I miss the convenience. Being able to not cook for my family was a nice treat once a week. Now, I only don't cook if I have made enough for leftovers. LOL

Having fast meals on hand in the freezer helped. Frozen pizza is fast. Grilled cheese sandwiches is a favourite treat around here.

I also started using my slow cooker more. Prepare dinner in the morning and I come home to ready food. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    i eat fast food almost never...like maybe 3-5 times per year and it's usually when I'm on a road trip or something. Personally, I think most fast food is pretty disgusting...as in it really tastes pretty much like *kitten*. I've never really been a fast food person and have never understood the appeal other than convenience...I've never understood how people could eat it regularly. usually when I do have it, I shite for days. it's maybe a notch above pig slop...you can do much better.

that said, places like applebees and whatnot tend to be higher calorie than many things you can get at a fast food joint...
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    i eat fast food almost never...like maybe 3-5 times per year and it's usually when I'm on a road trip or something. Personally, I think most fast food is pretty disgusting...as in it really tastes pretty much like *kitten*. I've never really been a fast food person and have never understood the appeal other than convenience...I've never understood how people could eat it regularly. usually when I do have it, I shite for days. it's maybe a notch above pig slop...you can do much better.

that said, places like applebees and whatnot tend to be higher calorie than many things you can get at a fast food joint...

You know. I get worried if I don't poop for a day or two. Maybe if you aren't having bowel movements you should see a GI.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    I would agree with the above poster. I can't remember the last time I had fast food. My husband is always getting Hardee's or something like that. It never smells good and the thought of the grease makes me want to vomit. I spent a good portion of my teens and early adulthood working fast food and maybe that's what ruined it for me. Even Subway is processed foods.
    It's funny you mention subway. I consider it fast food myself but so many other people do not.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    My daughter and I wanted to start eating more healthy so we just stopped going to fast food restaurants. If we want to go out for lunch or dinner we will go to a sit down restaurant, and that is not often. When I'm traveling I will eat at a fast food place, usually McD's for breakfast. My husband is in love with Subway, although I am not a fan. If you go to their websites you can find the nutritional information for most fast food places and pick what you think you will eat before you go. Most places have a grilled chicken sandwich which isn't too high in calories. I avoid fries and soft drinks, usually order tea, unsweetened. Now I find when I do go to a fast food place I'm disappointed with the quality of the food.
    Well good job!! I'm glad you found ways to avoid certain foods at fast food. Keep up the good work. Thank you for sharing.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I gave up fast food a few years ago when diagnosed with celiac disease. Fast food joints aren't safe for me.

I don't really miss the food, but I miss the convenience. Being able to not cook for my family was a nice treat once a week. Now, I only don't cook if I have made enough for leftovers. LOL

Having fast meals on hand in the freezer helped. Frozen pizza is fast. Grilled cheese sandwiches is a favourite treat around here.

I also started using my slow cooker more. Prepare dinner in the morning and I come home to ready food. :)

Okay. Well hey just know you are doing well on your journey and I thank you for sharing such a personal health issue with all of us. I definitely am looking into getting a slow cooker for myself since soo many people recommend it.