fast food

Options

Replies

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    I never eat fast food. Not at all. In my opinion, the food is not healthy (even the salads), and not tasty. I bet he last fast food I had was over ten years ago.

10 years ago??? Was it hard to quit?? GOOD JOB!!! that's a long time to quit fast food.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    I'm not sure this even exist or can be done. I slightly doubt it.. Lol but I want to believe it's possible. So.. Fast food.. It's everywhere and it's growing.. It's convenient, it's normally good, quick, and already cooked. But it my opinion its also a nightmare. Now I don't mean your steak house sit down place or applesbees necessarily ..i mean your Burger King, McDonald, Wendy's.. Ect I'm assuming most people eat fast food quite often but every once In a blue moon I meet one person who goes once a week. It sounds awesome and it's a money saver and I'm sure healthier to not eat fast food. I want to ween myself from it too. Now I'm not avidly going out to eat everyday.. But sometimes it seems like once a week.. Or twice a week.. For petty stuff that probably be made at home or found in a grocery store. For those of you who have completely cut yourself off from fast food chains.. How did you do it.. What steps? Was it hard? Is this even possible? For those of you in same boat as me.. Let's come up with reasons and ideas behind eating out and maybe work together on this.. I don't know.. I just want to hear opinions and thoughts, strategies, results, ect. Be honest. Be blunt and keep in mind I want to learn everything from everyone! Please share and feel free to add me.

I actually cut junk food once for one whole year, I didn't have many friends at the time so i wouldn't be in a social scenario where everyone is eating. Second, my family barely ever ate outside don't get me wrong the foods at home weren't the healthiest but they were not from restaurants either. Third, I used to go get yummy healthy foods, such as fresh whole grain bread, turkey, yogurt, fruits and oatmeal. I love healthy food, but its just hard to afford it if you're not living at home or if you're around people who don't care for it.
    I now live around people that consume junk food most of the time so i eat but i try to choose the healthiest options and i sometimes just not feel like i want any. I'd eat something i know i like and isn't junk.
    for example i recently went out with some friends to have some burgers and i ordered a burger without any bread and it had a salad side.. just because it's a burger place doesn't mean it has to be junk. :)
    I hope this helped. To summarize it: it's about choices. it's about surrounding people. If you're out with the wrong people make good and smart choices. If you can live with someone healthy do it.

Good luck. Oh and to start with cut soda out all the time. anywhere. it's not junk food but it's basically junk when you drink soda you're encouraged to buy a whole meal and just have something unhealthy which leads to another.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience! I couldn't agree more, having the right people around can encourage eating
    Better foods or can lead you to eat out more often. Healthy food is expensive!! I think you did wonderful cutting junk food out !! & pop is another thing id love to go cold turkey on because it does have horrible effects on the body.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It comes down to how bad you want it. If you want it but dont really want to stop doing a certain thing then you dont really want it that bad. If you want it that bad then its not that hard because mentally you want it more than the food and your totally committed and focused.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Great post. I'd like to offer my ideas but at the moment i'm short on time. In short, its ultimately about getting yoruself really organised with shopping and in the kitchen. Learning how to cook if you can't. Discover the pleasure of cooking. Even then i know its har to do it all the time so that's why you hve to get organised and cook ahead so sometimes you can just pull something out of the freezer. I also like to have a fridge full of stuff ready to go so i don't have to do much from scratch. This is all harder to do with a family to cook for but for singles, its not hard.

And then i'd suggest that junk food once a month is a better restriction to aim for. Too often and you'll find yourself falling back into old habits too easily.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Great post. I'd like to offer my ideas but at the moment i'm short on time. In short, its ultimately about getting yoruself really organised with shopping and in the kitchen. Learning how to cook if you can't. Discover the pleasure of cooking. Even then i know its har to do it all the time so that's why you hve to get organised and cook ahead so sometimes you can just pull something out of the freezer. I also like to have a fridge full of stuff ready to go so i don't have to do much from scratch. This is all harder to do with a family to cook for but for singles, its not hard.

And then i'd suggest that junk food once a month is a better restriction to aim for. Too often and you'll find yourself falling back into old habits too easily.

Thank you!!! & thank you for sharing your ideas! I love to cook=) yes I think once a month will be a good start for myself.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    It comes down to how bad you want it. If you want it but dont really want to stop doing a certain thing then you dont really want it that bad. If you want it that bad then its not that hard because mentally you want it more than the food and your totally committed and focused.

I want it! Haha
  • jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure this even exist or can be done. I slightly doubt it.. Lol but I want to believe it's possible. So.. Fast food.. It's everywhere and it's growing.. It's convenient, it's normally good, quick, and already cooked. But it my opinion its also a nightmare. Now I don't mean your steak house sit down place or applesbees necessarily ..i mean your Burger King, McDonald, Wendy's.. Ect I'm assuming most people eat fast food quite often but every once In a blue moon I meet one person who goes once a week. It sounds awesome and it's a money saver and I'm sure healthier to not eat fast food. I want to ween myself from it too. Now I'm not avidly going out to eat everyday.. But sometimes it seems like once a week.. Or twice a week.. For petty stuff that probably be made at home or found in a grocery store. For those of you who have completely cut yourself off from fast food chains.. How did you do it.. What steps? Was it hard? Is this even possible? For those of you in same boat as me.. Let's come up with reasons and ideas behind eating out and maybe work together on this.. I don't know.. I just want to hear opinions and thoughts, strategies, results, ect. Be honest. Be blunt and keep in mind I want to learn everything from everyone! Please share and feel free to add me.
    If I have to eat fast food I go for the zinger salad from kfc and 2 hot wings, I have lost 35lbs since may
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    jonnybhoy wrote: »
    If I have to eat fast food I go for the zinger salad from kfc and 2 hot wings, I have lost 35lbs since may

GREAT JOB.& keep up the work!!! Thank you for ideas at KFC.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i eat fast food at least once a week. I typically go with a salad with dressing on the side. McDonald's asian salad is good and low in calories and filling.
    yes, I can make food but we are frequently on the go so I eat fast food. i love the taste. Wendy's has similar options. i'm not sure about BK

and sometimes a burger is just a burger. the build your own is a great option with calorie estimates next to the ingredients.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I haven't eaten fast food since about 2002, other than on the occasional road trip. I don't like it. Not sure why it would be difficult--I just don't go.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    i eat fast food at least once a week. I typically go with a salad with dressing on the side. McDonald's asian salad is good and low in calories and filling.
    yes, I can make food but we are frequently on the go so I eat fast food. i love the taste. Wendy's has similar options. i'm not sure about BK

and sometimes a burger is just a burger. the build your own is a great option with calorie estimates next to the ingredients.
    Never had their Asian salad. I'll have to try it. Thank you so much for the ideas. Yes.. I know the feeling.. When being on the go.. So I understand. Thank you for sharing!!

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I haven't eaten fast food since about 2002, other than on the occasional road trip. I don't like it. Not sure why it would be difficult--I just don't go.

Ooo very nice. Good for you! Thank you for sharing with us. I guess I would find it difficult when most the reasons why people go is for convenience lol
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Yeah, if it's convenience just try to have other things available.
  • margiesworld
    margiesworld Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am a fast food junky - Mcdonalds biscuit and gravy in the am, calzone for lunch. No wonder I have gained so much weight. I did give up pop in January and haven't had any since then. My ankles aren't swollen anymore. I basically don't cook and don't plan ahead, know that I should.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    I am a fast food junky - Mcdonalds biscuit and gravy in the am, calzone for lunch. No wonder I have gained so much weight. I did give up pop in January and haven't had any since then. My ankles aren't swollen anymore. I basically don't cook and don't plan ahead, know that I should.
    Well thank you for sharing your experience. Pop is another one of those hard things to quit when someone has been making it part of their diet. I have trouble quitting it cold turkey.. Although I don't drink tons of pop myself so it's not a HUGE HUGE deal for me. You arent alone in your journey though, assuming you read other people's experiences and ideas.. We are all here to help you conquer goals through support and motivation.. And just to know you arent alone. It is a process, which people forget.. It will take time and will power with a great support system or a very determined mindset.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Pretty much the same story here. It doesn't appeal to me, it's expensive for what you get, and since I have to go out to get it anyway, I might as well go somewhere else and get food I do like. Meal planning isn't that bad, and if I am in a situation where I just don't feel like cooking, most grocery stores have prepared food sections with better (imo) options than fast food places.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Before I started counting calories I used to eat a lot of fast food and gas station snack foods, like candy bars, Bugles, etc. Whenever I just tried to stop going I would last for a day, or a week maybe. Then I'd be back.

What did it for me was...wait for it...counting calories. Having that budget really helped me, and honestly I never felt tempted much after that. So I did more or less just...stop. Every once in a while I'll indulge, but for the most part I've stopped.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    Meal planning isn't that bad, and if I am in a situation where I just don't feel like cooking, most grocery stores have prepared food sections with better (imo) options than fast food places.

This is true. My oven broke a couple of years ago, and for the week it took to replace it I found the salad bar plus the rotisserie chicken at the grocery store really helpful, and they have lots of other pretty healthy options.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Before I started counting calories I used to eat a lot of fast food and gas station snack foods, like candy bars, Bugles, etc. Whenever I just tried to stop going I would last for a day, or a week maybe. Then I'd be back.

What did it for me was...wait for it...counting calories. Having that budget really helped me, and honestly I never felt tempted much after that. So I did more or less just...stop. Every once in a while I'll indulge, but for the most part I've stopped.

Hmm, yes gas stations are also easy to just stop and buy food. But that's great that you stopped and thank you for sharing your experience !
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm just not sure I'm clear on your motivation for not wanting to eat fast food anymore. Are you cutting it out to save money, because you are trying to lose weight and you feel it is hindering your progress, because you think it is not "healthy", or because you just want to see if you can do it?

I don't eat a lot of fast food, but I'm not opposed to it - I believe you can fit pretty much any type food into your overall diet if you enjoy it and don't want to give it up. So I'm unclear if you are looking for recommendations on how to give it up altogether, or how to make it work with your individual goals (whatever those may be).