Does the fat content in food make you fat?

Options
Does the fat content in food make you fat? Or is it solely the calories you need to be paying attention to? I've been dieting all day, and then I blew it with 2 packets of crisps and a penguin bar this evening... But MyFitnessPal says I'm still eating too little for my weight loss program? I'm really confused. So my question is, does the fat in food make you fat? Or is it calories?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't make you fat. If you want to lose weight, a calorie deficit is how it will happen.
  • polenate
    polenate Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Oh, so those 2 packets of crisps don't really matter too much as long as I'm in my calorie deficit?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    No.

That's not how it works.

Fat content in food does not correlate to body fat UNLESS you are eating too many total calories.

All macronutrients have calories (energy).

Carbohydrates = 4 calories per gram
    Protein = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram

Overeating on TOTAL calories is what causes weight gain. Eating less TOTAL calories causes weight loss.

• hunnnybee
    hunnnybee Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am proof that it is not calories. I am almost alawys under my calorie count and not losing weight. I find that I can eat high fat and lose weight as long as I do not eat carbs for it to switch to burning instead. If I eat high fat and high carb I get extra tubby fast; so n BLT's :-(
  • pegastarlight
    pegastarlight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's the calories. The idea behind the low-fat/fat-free craze was that you could eat more food by avoiding fats because fat has 9 calories per gram while protein and carbs have 4 calories per gram. So they'd replace fat content in foods with high fructose corn syrup to keep foods the same amount of grams while lower calorie. This is by no means a healthy way to cheat the system as the body does need fats.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    polenate wrote: »
    Oh, so those 2 packets of crisps don't really matter too much as long as I'm in my calorie deficit?

For weight loss: no. You can lose weight eating nothing but crisps if you are in a calorie deficit (you might not feel so hot and you certainly won't be meeting your nutritional needs, but that's another story).

But if you're eating so little that an unplanned snack of two packets of crisps still has you under your calorie allowance, are you sure that your goal isn't too low? How many calories are you aiming to eat per day? A very low goal makes it much harder to resist temptation and it can impact your energy and mood.
  • polenate
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No.

That's not how it works.

Fat content in food does not correlate to body fat UNLESS you are eating too many total calories.

Overeating on TOTAL calories is what causes weight gain. Eating less TOTAL calories causes weight loss.

There's only 4 calories in carbohydrates?! So if I was excercising, it's okay to have that bag of crisps as long as I'm creating a calorie deficit while I do it?
  • rainbowbow
    Options

A calorie deficit is all that matters when it comes to weight loss.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

He lost 27 pounds in 10 weeks eating nothing but hostess snack cakes, twinkies, doritos, and oreo cookies.

NOW-

is it healthy to forgo micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) that you get from fruits and vegetables? Of course not. But from a weight loss perspective, it doesn't matter. Energy is energy.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Exactly! :)
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    hunnnybee wrote: »
    I am proof that it is not calories. I am almost alawys under my calorie count and not losing weight. I find that I can eat high fat and lose weight as long as I do not eat carbs for it to switch to burning instead. If I eat high fat and high carb I get extra tubby fast; so n BLT's :-(

^^^ Not how it works unless there is some medical condition involved and even then...

Fat does not make you fat, going over your maintenance calories does. As long as your are under your calorie goal, crisps are perfectly fine!

• polenate
    Options

For weight loss: no. You can lose weight eating nothing but crisps if you are in a calorie deficit (you might not feel so hot and you certainly won't be meeting your nutritional needs, but that's another story).

But if you're eating so little that an unplanned snack of two packets of crisps still has you under your calorie allowance, are you sure that your goal isn't too low? How many calories are you aiming to eat per day? A very low goal makes it much harder to resist temptation and it can impact your energy and mood.

I'm 5'11, my BMR is 1644 and today I've eaten 1072, as well as doing about an hour of excercise. My BMI is 19.3 and I'm 25, I'm 9st 13lbs but I want to be about 9st ideally.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    When you say:
    MyFitnessPal says I'm still eating too little for my weight loss program?

Are you saying that when you close your diary, you are getting the message that you are not eating enough calories?

Or are you saying that you still have calories available even after a high-fat snack?
  • janejellyroll
    edited September 2015
    Options

That's a sign that your calorie goal is actually set for you to maintain OR a potential logging issue. It doesn't prove that your body can create energy out of nothing.
  • LadyLallybroch
    LadyLallybroch Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    No.

That's not how it works.

There's only 4 calories in carbohydrates?! So if I was excercising, it's okay to have that bag of crisps as long as I'm creating a calorie deficit while I do it?

Remember that "healthy" and "weight loss" are two completely different things. Weight loss is only caloric deficit. As long as you are within your calories, your weight will decrease (over time - this isn't a one day kind of thing). Those crisps may not be "healthy", but that's a completely different issue.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Unless your calorie count for weight loss is wrong, you are eating too man calories and that's why you're not losing weight. Food has no special properties as to weight loss. Eat your BLT's, just make sure you are within your calories.

Weigh your food in grams and make sure you are choosing accurate entries, count only cardio for exercise calories, and eat only about 75% of your exercise calories back.

You are makiing some uniintentional errors somewhere, which is why you're not losing weight.

• rainbowbow
    Options

I'm 5'11, my BMR is 1644 and today I've eaten 1072, as well as doing about an hour of excercise. My BMI is 19.3 and I'm 25, I'm 9st 13lbs but I want to be about 9st ideally.

yikes.

Seek medical attention.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yep, saying fat makes you fat is like saying if you eat green veggies you will turn green. Your body's metabolism runs on three main sources, fats, protein, and carbs. So, unless your eating in excess the previously mentioned macros, then you won't gain weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It is calories. Start a thread and you'll receive help.

OP, no, the fat content does not make you fat. Under eating, will however make you sick. You're a male, why are you doing this? The minimum you should be consuming is 1500 calories.
  • polenate
    Options
    So the fact I've eaten 1072 calories and my BMR alone is 1644 means I will be losing weight right now even though Ive had the crisps? Should I add the calories that are in the carbohydrates, fat etc. to that total of 1072 is the calories in the carbs, fat etc. included on the back of the packet?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

You need to eat more. What is your calorie goal?