Does the fat content in food make you fat?

Options

Replies

• Werk2Eat
    Werk2Eat Posts: 114 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You could literally drink 1200 calories worth of olive oil a day and lose weight.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Op, I think you have far greater issues than how many grams of fat are in a bag of chips...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Werk2Eat wrote: »
    You could literally drink 1200 calories worth of olive oil a day and lose weight.

Yum.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    A calorie surplus, or eating above maintenance calories make you fat.
    No specific food or macro will make you fat...
  • polenate
    polenate Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So I have to eat AT LEAST 1644 calories to maintain my weight because that's my BMR?

Any less and I'll lose weight? Is that right?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    polenate wrote: »
    So I have to eat AT LEAST 1644 calories to maintain my weight because that's my BMR?

No. Your BMR is not your maintenance number. Look up a TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculator to find out how around many calories you need to maintain. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ You will still lose weight if you eat 1644 calories.

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

No.

Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of energy expressed in calories that a person needs to keep the body functioning at a complete state of rest, so basically breathing, circulation, control of body temperature, cell growth, brain and nerve function, and contraction of muscles.

To maintain weight you would need to consume the same amount of calories as your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). TDEE is the number of calories burnt in a day scaling BMR to level of activity. So your total amount of calories used during the day.

To gain weight you eat above your TDEE.

To lose weight you eat below your TDEE.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Don't get snarky when i was trying to be helpful. "I can read thanks". Really?
    You're a male, why are you doing this?

I dont know, maybe because he is trying to have a feminine physique because he performs in drag. I was pointing this out from his profile as a potential reason why he might think it's okay to get this dangerously thin by training to attain an unreasonable physique for a 5'11 male. Seriously? Can i not point this out when your question seems to ignore this?
    This does not answer WHY one would choose to be unhealthy

MKAY. Maybe because he has an eating disorder?
    nor why one, YOU would be promoting it.

Where did i promote an eating disorder? I don't see where i ever said "YEAH, GO YOU, EAT YOURSELF INTO STARVATION!".

....can you read?

Defending his reasoning sounds as if you're justifying his position to me.

I didn't defend his reasoning. I said i saw from his profile WHY he likely has the mentality he has. I said as someone from an eating disordered past i recognized immediately his mentality and the VERY dangerous potential.

I commented "Yikes. Seek medical attention" BEFORE you even commented on this thread. I then went on to say "not good? This is classed as anorexia". I then went on to tell the OP to seek medical attention because anorexia is the DEADLIEST mental disorder in existence with up to 20% of sufferers dying from it.

Please tell me again how great your reading apprehension is. How i'm justifying his position. How i'm defending his reasoning. Please.

If not, please move along.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My friends always say that I need to seek medical attention, and that I have body dysmorphic disorder. But I seriously see something huge when I look in the mirror... I fail to see what could fix that other than losing weight.

Help.

Your friends are right.

As someone who had disordered eating in her young teens, i know all too well that mentality when i see it. You think losing weight will fix it? I gaurantee it will not. You will lose weight, and STILL hate the way you look. You will never be good enough. You will continue on a downward spiral that can lead to SERIOUS health problems and even DEATH.

FACT: Anorexia Nervosa has the highest rate of death out of ANY MENTAL ILLNESS. Between 5-20% of people diagnosed with Anorexia will die from it.

Luckily you are still within a SOMEWHAT acceptable BMI, but your goal weight is not. You are starting down a dangerous path and you should see someone to help you ASAP. Get serious about the problem. If we see it, if your friends and loved ones see it, but you CANNOT see it. You may need help admitting where you are and with body dysmorphia.
    This ^

You don't need to lose weight OP, you should start lifting to gain some muscle definition. That can help you like your own skin.

And please do speak to your Dr, 9st would be low for a female your height. Good luck x
  • polenate
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »

No.

Basal Metabolic Rate is the amount of energy expressed in calories that a person needs to keep the body functioning at a complete state of rest, so basically breathing, circulation, control of body temperature, cell growth, brain and nerve function, and contraction of muscles.

To maintain weight you would need to consume the same amount of calories as your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). TDEE is the number of calories burnt in a day scaling BMR to level of activity. So your total amount of calories used during the day.

To gain weight you eat above your TDEE.

To lose weight you eat below your TDEE.

So will my body burn 1644 calories a day by itself?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My friends always say that I need to seek medical attention, and that I have body dysmorphic disorder. But I seriously see something huge when I look in the mirror... I fail to see what could fix that other than losing weight.

You are saying you are not happy with how you look. Have you discussed your feelings with a psychologist? Have you discussed your weight loss goals with a physician?

If not, then you need to start with your healthcare team, not MFP.

I haven't discussed it with anyone in a professional position other than a personal trainer at the gym who told me "Seriously, don't lose any weight.", I seem to ignore it when people tell me that. I'm beginning to think maybe I should make an appointment with my doctor though. :-/

Yes. See your doctor before starting any weight loss plan.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

I didn't defend his reasoning. I said i saw from his profile WHY he likely has the mentality he has. I said as someone from an eating disordered past i recognized immediately his mentality and the VERY dangerous potential.

I commented "Yikes. Seek medical attention" BEFORE you even commented on this thread. I then went on to say "not good? This is classed as anorexia". I then went on to tell the OP to seek medical attention because anorexia is the DEADLIEST mental disorder in existence with up to 20% of sufferers dying from it.

Please tell me again how great your reading apprehension is. How i'm justifying his position. How i'm defending his reasoning. Please.

Defensive much?
    Actually, I had yet to see your other response , nor is it important. What is important here is the boy getting help.
    Why are you wasting so much energy attacking my person?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

And that is exactly why you need to get professional help. Please see your doctor about this. Please.
  • polenate
    Options
    Guys, to be clear, my body burns 1644 calories a day (my BMR) without me doing anything regardless of how many calories I eat in that day, right? I.e. if I don't eat 1644 calories, it will still burn 1644 calories?
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Yes, sir, that is correct, if that is your BMR. You could be sleeping.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

You're seeing something in the mirror that isn't there. So losing weight will not help. Please do get professional help.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources

The OP's friends, trainer, and people online reading his posts tell him to seek help ... sadly, he refuses. Some people you just can't reach until they hit rock bottom.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Guys, to be clear, my body burns 1644 calories a day (my BMR) without me doing anything regardless of how many calories I eat in that day, right? I.e. if I don't eat 1644 calories, it will still burn 1644 calories?

Yes, exactly.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Don't get snarky when i was trying to be helpful. "I can read thanks". Really?
    You're a male, why are you doing this?

I dont know, maybe because he is trying to have a feminine physique because he performs in drag. I was pointing this out from his profile as a potential reason why he might think it's okay to get this dangerously thin by training to attain an unreasonable physique for a 5'11 male. Seriously? Can i not point this out when your question seems to ignore this?
    This does not answer WHY one would choose to be unhealthy

MKAY. Maybe because he has an eating disorder?
    nor why one, YOU would be promoting it.

Where did i promote an eating disorder? I don't see where i ever said "YEAH, GO YOU, EAT YOURSELF INTO STARVATION!".

....can you read?

Defending his reasoning sounds as if you're justifying his position to me.

What's reading apprehension?

She means comprehension.