Water goals

Options
2»

Replies

• Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I don't set myself a specific number of glasses of water a day. I just go by thirst, colour of urine, and if I'm getting a headache or a dry mouth I know I should have had a drink a half hour ago. I naturally drink a lot if it's available so I've never worried, I just leave a full bottle of water on my work desk and I sip all day long. If I'm exercising, or planning to exercise after work, I make an extra effort to drink a little more, because I get a thumping headache if I get dehydrated.

Wow! I've never heard of those symptoms of dehydration (headaches) before but I'm thankful you shared this Information!!! Yes.. I don't keep track of how much I drink either.. But I do know I'm not staying properly hydrated. So I am trying really hard to drink more water.
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Dunno I dont fret about it, just drink regularly and often. If my urine is too dark, ill drink more, if im thirsty I drink more, if I havent drunk for a while then I will drink more. If ive been to the gym then I stay hydrated by drinking consistently.

Hahaha all of those are good answers!!
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've amply demonstrated to myself, over & over, even before losing weight, that I do poorly if I don't get enough fluids. I sweat copiously (not everyone does), and if I drink too little my digestive system slows down, plus I get fatigued. Besides, I *like* water.

Most days, I get 8-11 cups of water or other beverages that I don't find diuretic (i.e., I count my green tea, matcha, and most herb tea in addition to water).

I always have a refillable water bottle when working out or away from convenient water sources for multi-hour periods, and I keep a glass of water at hand if I'm at home.

People kinda have religious wars about water sometimes ;) , but I've just experimented over the years & do what works best for me.

Hahahahahahahahah I love how you said "religious wars" this made my night but you are so right about that. I think its great that you actually like water.. Haa. I am so picky that I only will drink bottle water (has to be ice mountain brand) LMFAO but I mean if it came down to no bottles of water available.. Obviously I'll drink the tap. I guess I'm just picking. I also like tea. But I don't really like green tea.. Hmm. (although it's really healthy)
  • Fitness_WonderWoman
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    g
    cityruss wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I don't count it. I drink to my thirst.

Unless you have some physical or psychological issue that affects your sense of thirst, you can trust it to keep you hydrated. Your body knows what it needs and will let you know via the sensation of thirst that it wants more water. If you want to figure out whether or not you should have something to drink, you don't have to count, check your pee or spin in a circle to see how many times you can do it before you get dizzy. All you have to do is ask yourself if you feel like having something to drink.

Keep water handy and drink when you're thirsty. It really is that easy.

Not to argue, but actually "being thirsty" is a bad indicator as to whether you should drink something or not because normally you are thirsty before your brain responds to it. The best way is the urine check, so I agree with that. Thank you for sharing

Are you advising generally healthy average Joe everyday people that before they decide whether to drink or not they check their urine?

As previously posted, the general consensus for healthy adults is that letting thirst guide the need for hydration is the way to go.

Or do you disagree with the National Academies/Institute of Medicine?

http://iom.nationalacademies.org/Reports/2004/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-Water-Potassium-Sodium-Chloride-and-Sulfate.aspx

Also...
    Advocates of the 8 x 8 guideline sometimes claim that thirst is a poor hydration indicator. They assert that many people are so chronically dehydrated they no longer recognize their bodies' signals for water. Barbara Rolls, professor of nutrition sciences at the Pennsylvania State University, disagrees. Her studies, she says, "found no evidence that people are chronically dehydrated." Although some drugs can cause problems with thirst regulation and the elderly may not experience thirst as intensely as younger people, Rolls maintains that most healthy people are adequately hydrated.

So how much water should you drink? Here's their advice: If you have specific medical concerns, talk to your doctor. But if you are healthy, Rolls recommends that you "have a beverage with meals and drink when you are thirsty." In other words, heed your thirst signals, enjoy that watermelon, and stop feeling guilty for not guzzling those extra glasses.

Also...

Valtin Heinz. “Drink at least eight glasses of water a day.” Really? Is there scientific evidence for “8 x 8”? Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 283: R993–R1004, 2002.

Kolso J, Jeckel K, Wildman EC. Water, Hydration and Health: What Dietetics Practitioners Need to Know. SCAN’s Pulse Winter 2012 Vol.31, No. 1.

Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2010. U.S. Department of Agricultural, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2010Pg 22

Fulgoni VL III, Keast DR, Bailey RL, Dwyer J. Foods, fortificants, and supplements: where do Americans get their nutrients? J Nutr 2011;141:1847-54.

I do disagree with your information but I'm entitled to because like I said going by just thirst alone does not keep you hydrated. Now if you do not like my side and opinion, Fine by me, but don't make a argument out of my facts and opinions because no one is making one out of yours. Thank you

Just hang on a minute.

I'm not disliking your opinion, I'm not making an argument.

This is a public internet forum, and if I wish to challenge something that someone has posted, I will, especially when it's so wrong and flies in the face of all the available literature.

This is not my information, I'm presenting the latest evidence and guidelines set out by national bodies. You do realize that what you are saying goes against what the National Academies/Institute of Medicine and the latest consensus, guidelines and best practice statements say, don't you.

Please feel free to show me some evidence to back up your statement that..
    going by just thirst alone does not keep you hydrated

As I have presented you with plenty that it does.

Okay fine. You don't dislike or want to argue. I get it. You want answers. I understand it. But if I disagree with the information you provided.. Via your source and references..(which is okay last I checked, right? I mean I can disagree right?) you don't like that I disagree..i find that to be uncomfortable because I want to be able to disagree with your source without you reminding me what and who your source is. You want me to show proof. Well I tell Ya what.. I'm an exercise Science major. You are more than welcome to stop by the classroom and find out yourself why I believe in what I said. Also you are more than welcome to challenge me.. But I just want to mention.. I don't think either of us will agree with one another on this topic.. So maybe this isn't worth the back and forth. I mean I don't want to waste your time.. Because I realized you don't agree with what I said.. And I'm perfectly okay with that but I don't think I want to waste my time either having to prove what I said. Its just not going to do either of us any good. Don't you agree? So you can choose to agree with your sources and that's awesome.. And I'll choose to agree with my own post & that will be awesome too!!! Okay=) win-win for both of us.