Tricks to Peel an Egg????

Options

Replies

• monicarungood
    monicarungood Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I boil a bunch and then peel them for breakfast over the following days - what has helped me is when they've been out of the fridge about 10 minutes or so, so they "sweat" a bit before I try to peel them.
    ModaVita wrote: »
    Hey All! I'm the OP, and today I easily peeled an entire carton of FRESH, hard-boiled eggs!

Here's eggsactly what I did, with no eggsasperation. (Oh, I'm so sorry - couldn't resist!)
    1. Bring pot of water to a rolling boil
    2. Gently add eggs, cover and boil 9 minutes
    3. Drain and rinse with cold tap water a minute or so
    4. Tap egg all over, "massage" between fingertips to loosen shell
    5. Be awed & amazed as the shell slips right off

j03vm959ibdt.jpg

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered how people actually find it difficult to peel an egg! I've never had any trouble. Sometimes I get the shell of in one piece, but usually just two pieces. and super quick.

I just boil it, then immediately take it out of the hot water and put it in an ice bath. Let it cool down there, crack it like I would on the side of a bowl (but not too hard, as it would cut into the egg) and then peel it.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    After boiling take the pot place in sink and leave cold water running over them for several minutes- maybe 10 mins. This always works for me. (I guess this is similar to an ice bath- but I don't have ice readily available)
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    When I was eggsasperated a couple years ago, a friend gave me her tips and my eggs have been easy to peel with perfect yellow yolks ever since. I hard boil a dozen each Sunday for the next week and was just about to give up on it before I got her tips.
    • Use eggs that are at least one week old. Now and then I only have new eggs on hand and try boiling them, and they always are hard to peel.
    • I pierce the bottom of each egg with an egg piercer just because I have a piercer. Don't know if it really matters though.
    • Put eggs in pot and cover with water.
    • Bring to boil.
    • Reduce to medium heat and cook for 12 minutes.
    • Place cooked eggs in an ice water bath to shock them and then let them cool down for at least 10 minutes.
    • Give the egg a a few good whacks and then peel away. Once I make that first crack, the egg shell just about falls off by itself.
    • Still having a hard time peeling eggs, (1) roll the egg around on the counter and crack the shell all over. I usually wind up applying to much pressure and splitting the egg; ir (2) put the egg in a small juice glass. Add a little water to cover the bottom of the glass. Cover the glass with your hand and shake the egg hard around the glass. The egg shell will just fall off in one sheet when you do this, and you get some exercise. ;) (I saw this on YouTube and it really works.)

• LeeLough
    LeeLough Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Apple cider vinegar! All you do is put about 1/2 cup in with your boiling water and the eggs peel sooooo easy. I boil for 5 minutes, take off heat, cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Rinse under cold water. Walla! Easy peel eggs every time. You can use regular vinegar to.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I have a super easy way. My wife does it :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    ModaVita wrote: »
    I love hard-boiled eggs but am at my wits end to peel the @#$%^& things!! :s

I've tried every "trick" I've heard: Don't use fresh eggs. Don't use old eggs. Peel them hot. Peel them cold. Only cook till boiling, then steep XX minutes. Boil forever and blanch immediately...

Seriously - there has to be something that works consistently. How do deli depts get those perfectly peeled eggs over & over again? (I've asked, and they don't share.)

Anybody?

Have you tried steaming them instead of boiling?

Other wise, have you tried breaking the shell all around and then soaking them for a while?

Another trick is to let them cool, put them in a tupperware container with an inch of water, put on the lid, and then shake them till the shell comes off. Once in a while the egg will tear apart, but it works pretty well.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in salt water. It was on Martha Stewart. Also, use your older eggs. Fresh eggs don't peel well.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    I find that eggs that are approaching their expiration date work best for boiling. I try to keep an older carton of eggs in my fridge for when I want boiled eggs.

That's like saying chicken nearing it's expiration date is more tender.

So silly.

Except that's true. The bacteria break the meat down, so the older it is, the more tender. Haven't you ever wondered why beef aged 2 weeks is so much tougher than beef aged 4 weeks? Significantly so, in fact.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of old wives' tales about making eggs easier to peel. Some methods help slightly, some don't work at all.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

No method will work perfectly 100 percent of the time to get an egg white to separate cleanly from the shell, but there are things you can do to push the odds in your favor.

Hot or Cold Start

More than any other factor, the thing that made the most difference in how cleanly eggs released from their shells was the temperature at which they started: A hot start produces easier-to-peel eggs.

Shocking the Eggs in an Ice Bath

Shocked eggs also have a slightly higher success rate for peeling. Make sure to chill your eggs completely for at least 15 minutes, or better yet, let them sit overnight in the fridge. The cooler the egg is, the firmer and tighter its structure will be, and the less likely is it to develop craters when you pry off the shell.

Peeling under Water

The many cracks makes it easier to gently peel away the shell under running water.

I tried the hot start and cold shock and it worked like a charm! Thanks!

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I find that eggs that are approaching their expiration date work best for boiling. I try to keep an older carton of eggs in my fridge for when I want boiled eggs.

That's like saying chicken nearing it's expiration date is more tender.

So silly.

Except that's true. The bacteria break the meat down, so the older it is, the more tender. Haven't you ever wondered why beef aged 2 weeks is so much tougher than beef aged 4 weeks? Significantly so, in fact.

It's not the presence of bacteria that makes an aged steak more tender; it's the reduction of water and the natural enzymes in the meat breaking down the connective tissue.

Nice try though!
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    There are a lot of old wives' tales about making eggs easier to peel. Some methods help slightly, some don't work at all.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/the-secrets-to-peeling-hard-boiled-eggs.html

No method will work perfectly 100 percent of the time to get an egg white to separate cleanly from the shell, but there are things you can do to push the odds in your favor.

Hot or Cold Start

More than any other factor, the thing that made the most difference in how cleanly eggs released from their shells was the temperature at which they started: A hot start produces easier-to-peel eggs.

Shocking the Eggs in an Ice Bath

Shocked eggs also have a slightly higher success rate for peeling. Make sure to chill your eggs completely for at least 15 minutes, or better yet, let them sit overnight in the fridge. The cooler the egg is, the firmer and tighter its structure will be, and the less likely is it to develop craters when you pry off the shell.

Peeling under Water

The many cracks makes it easier to gently peel away the shell under running water.

I tried the hot start and cold shock and it worked like a charm! Thanks!

Cool. Glad it worked for you!
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    So many random tips to peel an egg- use an old egg, use a new egg, use vinegar, use salt, use an egg that already hatched. Craziness!

Seriously, boil the dang thing and shock it in ice water and THAT's how you do it. No tricks, no weird stuff. That's how to do it.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed people on here don't eat it with the peel on for the extra calcium.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I boil them with a lot of salt. I never had a problem before and then all of a sudden i could not peel them. So my mother said, well you put salt in there don't you? Like i am a dumb *kitten* or something. I said no, i had never heard of it. Much my dismay it does work. I salt more than pasta water. Hope one of these options help you.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    So many random tips to peel an egg- use an old egg, use a new egg, use vinegar, use salt, use an egg that already hatched. Craziness!

Seriously, boil the dang thing and shock it in ice water and THAT's how you do it. No tricks, no weird stuff. That's how to do it.

Uh... Room temp works for me, no need for ice water shock "craziness"
  • sixxpoint
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Did you read the science behind the article I posted? What actually happens to the egg and shell when plunged into hot water and shocked with ice water?

It's not craziness... It's science. And beyond that it's common sense.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Did you read the science behind the article I posted? What actually happens to the egg and shell when plunged into hot water and shocked with ice water?

Heh. I actually did not, seeing as I have no trouble peeling eggs. Personally I'm having a good time reading about the various methods. I don't enjoy the posts that seem to ridicule others as much. My point was that any method could seem somewhat convoluted depending on what you're accustomed to doing!

Common sense is dealing with ice just to peel one or two eggs? ;) I suppose it's good that you take your profession so seriously
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Heh. I actually did not, seeing as I have no trouble peeling eggs. Personally I'm having a good time reading about the various methods. I don't enjoy the posts that seem to ridicule others as much. My point was that any method could seem somewhat convoluted depending on what you're accustomed to doing!

Common sense is dealing with ice just to peel one or two eggs? ;) I suppose it's good that you take your profession so seriously

It's true that many people don't have problems peeling eggs----seems like a simple thing, right? However, if and when you do run into trouble, it can be as frustrating as hell. Eggs also don't have to be shocked in ice water. Cold running water worked fine for me. I followed the chefs' video that sixxpoint provided. It was very interesting. A young chef started out doing breakfasts at a famous hotel and his job was the boiled eggs. He explained how he tried different methods and finally found one that worked every time. Since he had to do so many, it was crucial. Learned alot--can't get better than that. B)
  • Blackdinomite
    Blackdinomite Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Use a coffee mug fill it with cold water - put the egg in the mug and shake the mug until the water drains. Egg she'll will fall right off.