1235»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I find that eggs that are approaching their expiration date work best for boiling. I try to keep an older carton of eggs in my fridge for when I want boiled eggs.

That's like saying chicken nearing it's expiration date is more tender.

So silly.

Except that's true. The bacteria break the meat down, so the older it is, the more tender. Haven't you ever wondered why beef aged 2 weeks is so much tougher than beef aged 4 weeks? Significantly so, in fact.

It's not the presence of bacteria that makes an aged steak more tender; it's the reduction of water and the natural enzymes in the meat breaking down the connective tissue.

Nice try though!

Oh. Ah well, same concept would still work in chicken.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Bake your eggs in a muffin pan. 350 for 20-25 minutes, take them out and drop into an ice bath until thoroughly cooled. For me much easier to peel than boiled.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Switch up the brand of eggs you buy, I find when I buy certain types versus others some peel easier than others. Worth a shot, and peel them while they are hot.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    If you are buying really fresh eggs from the farmers market, you will fail at peeling. Other than that, as soon as they are done, put them in COLD WATER in the sink. Run cold water over them until they are cold too. Then you can store them in the fridge. When ready to peel, roll them on the counter to break up the shell, then peel.

This even works for soft-boiled eggs. I really like to have soft-boiled eggs ready in the fridge for lunchtime salads. This tried-and-true method even works for soft-boiled eggs!
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    I find that eggs that are approaching their expiration date work best for boiling. I try to keep an older carton of eggs in my fridge for when I want boiled eggs.

That's like saying chicken nearing it's expiration date is more tender.

So silly.

Except that's true. The bacteria break the meat down, so the older it is, the more tender. Haven't you ever wondered why beef aged 2 weeks is so much tougher than beef aged 4 weeks? Significantly so, in fact.

It's not the presence of bacteria that makes an aged steak more tender; it's the reduction of water and the natural enzymes in the meat breaking down the connective tissue.

Nice try though!

Oh. Ah well, same concept would still work in chicken.

Not really since chicken is a lean meat without a ton of connective tissue like a marbled Ribeye steak.
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Common sense is dealing with ice just to peel one or two eggs? ;)

No, but common sense is remembering the basic concepts of heat/expansion - cold/contraction that we first learned in grammar school.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    Serious eats blogger tested various methods and his almost no fail method is to place uncooked eggs in boiling water, then proceed with cooking. no cold start, which is how I learned from food network.

I've tested it out and he's right. It results in super easy to peel eggs.

This. I love Serious Eats.

Add the eggs to boiling water and then once boiling again I cook about 12-13 minutes (depending on egg size). Then rinse with cold water after they are done, adding ice if you want. I've NEVER had a hard to peel egg since using this method, even the super farm fresh eggs.

***Actually I lied. My wife hates following cooking directions so never uses this method. She uses a variety of other ones, so if I try to peel one of her eggs, it's always a disaster ;)
  • dinagurl59
    dinagurl59 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ModaVita wrote: »
    I love hard-boiled eggs but am at my wits end to peel the @#$%^& things!! :s

I've tried every "trick" I've heard: Don't use fresh eggs. Don't use old eggs. Peel them hot. Peel them cold. Only cook till boiling, then steep XX minutes. Boil forever and blanch immediately...

Seriously - there has to be something that works consistently. How do deli depts get those perfectly peeled eggs over & over again? (I've asked, and they don't share.)

Anybody?
    Peel them under cold running water ...works well.