how do you deal with failure days?

Options

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    The only day I would consider a true failure, is the one on which I never woke up. Every day is a success on this side of the dirt xo
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    You realize that in the long run, one day is not going to make much difference in your weight loss goals. You just pick up where you left off the next day, and don't worry about it.

It says nothing about your moral character to go over your calories for one day, and the overall impact is going to be negligible. There is absolutely no reason to beat yourself up and dwell on a bad day.

Try not assigning any moral value to your eating habits. It's just food!

This is great advice. You use your conscious, rational mind to control your subconscious fears which would otherwise drive your behaviour.

The way you eat does not define your worth as a human being. Sometimes it is hard to remember that as we are constantly sold the message that the way we look defines our worth and the way we eat defines the way we look.

Don't buy into that thinking. Fight the power!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Everybody messes up. Everybody. Every single person on here is a human being who is not perfect. That being said, what you need to do is work on stopping the negative self talk. I think this is probably one of the biggest reasons so many people give up after awhile. They have a bad day, chastise themselves, and then give up convincing themselves they are unable to be successful. Its just a way to sabotage yourself.

I still srtuggle with this sometimes, but I am getting much better. It took me about a year and a half to lose my weight and I have been maintaining for that same amount of time. Two days ago, I over ate by around 1500 calories. (oh that entire pint of Ben and Jerry's was good lol) Instead of beating myself up over it, I just carry on as usual the next day. Unless I start eating like this all the time, its not going to hurt.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it happens. the next time i eat, i can make different choices to help me to my goal...no worries.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    Everybody messes up. Everybody. Every single person on here is a human being who is not perfect. That being said, what you need to do is work on stopping the negative self talk. I think this is probably one of the biggest reasons so many people give up after awhile. They have a bad day, chastise themselves, and then give up convincing themselves they are unable to be successful. Its just a way to sabotage yourself.

I still srtuggle with this sometimes, but I am getting much better. It took me about a year and a half to lose my weight and I have been maintaining for that same amount of time. Two days ago, I over ate by around 1500 calories. (oh that entire pint of Ben and Jerry's was good lol) Instead of beating myself up over it, I just carry on as usual the next day. Unless I start eating like this all the time, its not going to hurt.

Whoa mama! Look at you and that transformation!!! AWESOME JOB!!!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    The only day I would consider a true failure, is the one on which I never woke up. Every day is a success on this side of the dirt xo

<3 that is the perspective I need to remember. That just hit me over the head. Thank you.

I really want to thank everyone who commented. It was really touching and inspiring to read about how you all face this problem with grace and confidence. I should keep this marked and reread it. Thank you so much.

I really looked back at my words and yes, I do tend to automatically go to "I'm a failure" "I can't do this" "I don't deserve good things" not just about food but about homework, cleaning, etc. Everything I'm not good at is a "failure" therefore so am I. It's a very well-travelled road of logic that I guess is so easy to slip into.

It's been a couple of days, and I'm working to stop obsessing about it. I went over again yesterday, and I don't think I would have done that if I wasn't still thinking about how badly I went over on saturday. I'm very afraid that I will slip back into old habits and will gain back everything. But I know I am capable of choosing something else. It's been a hard few weeks, and I need to mention this to my therapist (thanks for everyone who mentioned therapy, I am in therapy but I find it so hard to bring up food/eating/body things I've only said something once). I know these thoughts are dumb and unrealistic, and I usually see them as such, but sometimes they do take over. Thank you guys so much.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options

Thank you! :)
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options

She's cheating a posting pictures of two different people!!! Just kidding....such an incredible transformation. Mind. Blown! :smile:

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have them all the time. I just keep a bigger deficit the other days to make up for it.
  • FGTisme
    FGTisme Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There have been two ways that I deal with them:

1. Log the day and move on. Keep losing weight.
    2. Use it as an excuse to return to bad habits and horrible eating patterns, gain 30 pounds until coming to my senses and starting over. Return to losing weight.

Choose your path.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    Are you having those days a lot ? (Like, more than just once a month )

My first response was "no" but I double checked, and yes, I've had 6 in the past 30 days. :/ it's probably negating everything I've tried to work for, isn't it?

Is it? Check the numbers and see if you still managed to create a deficit over the 30 days or not.

There was a time when I was trying to exist on 1200 cal/day but after a couple months, every third or fourth day I would overeat considerably. I think I just had my calories set lower than what I could stand, energy-wise and hunger-wise. I brought my calories up since that time and although I have gone over quite a few days, I haven't gone over by that much. Losing slowly and more comfortably.

Protect your self esteem. Don't set yourself up for failure. Increase your daily calorie goal a little.

• DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    It is fine to fail as long as you learn something. Instead of beating yourself up for failing try looking at your day and asking yourself what you can do different tomorrow and the next day that will help you to do better.

Failing is fine. People do it all of the time. It is part of learning. What is unacceptable is quitting.
    i like that advice..
    this is what i do infact... i remember before when i use to be that way.. beating myself up about over eating sometimes i still do.. not much as i did before i always have a couple days of the week where iam over 2000 calories even tho iam trying to lose a few lbs i dont plan them they just happen... when it does i go look at my
    macros first see if iam lacking protiens and fats mainly .. also i look at what influenced me to over eat which is
    most likely stress. and dehydrate. ____ we just have to find the fault in our failures.. and make better choices
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I log it as accurately as I can and move on. No need to harp on it.
  • Miss_Mania
    Miss_Mania Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    By going to bed and waking up to a brand new day where I kick my *kitten* into gear =)
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much for the original post and all of the answers! I came here today to moan and complain about doing the exact same thing. I appreciate being reminded that it's ok to be human.
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Are there things you do to help you feel better or deal with days that, whatever the reason, you really overate on unhealthy foods? This isn't targeted towards people who never mess up, or about days where you go 100 cal over your goal. But like, big mess-ups. How do you accept it and move on, or account for it so that you stop beating yourself over the head with how much of a failure of a person you are?

I had a day like that yesterday, and I know repeatedly thinking "wow there is so much wrong with you, you're a failure you deserve nothing good" etc. is not something that's going to help. It will make me want to eat. Do you have ways of dealing with this?

I've had many days like this. I used to struggle with binge eating. i tried different things like listing things I could do before a binge, or journaling or writing out what I would binge on before I did so I could really look at how much I was willing to hurt myself with food.

Bottom line I had to figure out why I was willing to punish myself with food for years. Once I started dealing with the underlying stuff, I stopped self medicating. Sure do I slip up now, I do. But not like before
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I would suggest removing the language of calling it a failure day. It seems like adding too much judgement and moralization to eating.
    If you intended to go the beach one day, and ended up not going, you don't call it a failure day because you didn't go to the beach like you wanted, do you? Why be any harsher about how you ate?

Great point.

As an adult we get to decide what to eat. I did tow the line for one year but was on the road last week and did eat some custard a few times as well as some oranges. Dr. William Davis thanks the grains are to be avoided and some types are sugar are so so.

While the Georgia Peach flavor of the day custard was good it did not make me feel any better in the long run.

I do think Wheat Belly Total Health research is on target that it is mainly the grains that makes some of us very unhealthy. Sugar does bring along a lot of calories that can blow a calorie deficit however. :(
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Are you having those days a lot ? (Like, more than just once a month )

My first response was "no" but I double checked, and yes, I've had 6 in the past 30 days. :/ it's probably negating everything I've tried to work for, isn't it?

Is it? Check the numbers and see if you still managed to create a deficit over the 30 days or not.

There was a time when I was trying to exist on 1200 cal/day but after a couple months, every third or fourth day I would overeat considerably. I think I just had my calories set lower than what I could stand, energy-wise and hunger-wise. I brought my calories up since that time and although I have gone over quite a few days, I haven't gone over by that much. Losing slowly and more comfortably.

Protect your self esteem. Don't set yourself up for failure. Increase your daily calorie goal a little.

I was just thinking this exact same thing...maybe increasing your daily calorie allowance will help, and you will be fuller, and not go over...thereby keeping yourself motivated the next day...just an idea! xo
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have battled this all my life. First thing to realize on this journey is that you are human. It isn't a question of if you'll stumble but when.

So it isn't a question of if you'll fall off the wagon, but how long you'll stay there. Sooner you get back up, the better.

There are days that I'll not have the room to go to dinner, but can't get out of going out. So, I try to minimize the damage - focus on protein, know that I'm going over that day, but that's gonig to happen sometimes. Life happens when you make other plans.

The worst thing you can do is get into the rut of negative self talk. That's part of how we all got to being not where we want to be with ourselves.

When I was really on my game (it's been about a year or so and finally gotten it back), one of my co-workers told me that one of the things she liked about the way I was approaching my journey was that I'd have that bit of cake or pie. I wasn't depriving myself of stuff - but I'd say - "Okay - I'm having this one lemon bar - you guys need to get the rest away from me though!" LOL

Know your limitations/boundaries and don't be afraid to ask for stuff like that that will make your path easier. I remember going to see my dad in the hospital once...in the reception area on his floor was a box of Krispy Kreme donuts. Love them! I was so proud of myself for diverting the family back to his room without grabbing one - only to see my sister walk in with one in her hand and sit down next to me. I'm like, "F-ing REALLY??!!" I just looked at her like, "You've GOT to be kidding me!!" and said, "would you mind going over there and eatiing that please?" Of course, everybody cracked up laughing as if, Would you mind not putting liquor next to the alcohol addict? (Or if you've seen the movie "Broken Arrow" with John Travolta and Christian Slater - John Travolta says something like, "Would you mind not shooting at the thermo-nuclear weapon?")

For what it's worth - and good luck!!
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I would suggest removing the language of calling it a failure day. It seems like adding too much judgement and moralization to eating.
    If you intended to go the beach one day, and ended up not going, you don't call it a failure day because you didn't go to the beach like you wanted, do you? Why be any harsher about how you ate?

I thought about this one a lot, and I actually realized I do that. If I wanted to read my book and I ended up not reading my book, I would be similarly as harsh. I have had days where just that has happened. "I was supposed to sit around and enjoy my book, not spent x hours on the internet! I'm so mad! I'm such a failure I can't even do something I want to for fun!"

Sub in writing, going shopping, playing guitar, going for a walk, working on homework, cleaning, laundry, getting groceries, organizing, going to the gym, even watching a tv show I'm interested in. I actually think this way quite frequently, to varying degrees. That's probably a problem. That's probably the main problem.

Thank you for the reality check!